It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 3000 rockets and mortars fired into Israel by Hamas in 2008

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Many are quick to blame Israel, and argue that they broke the peace agreement. I think its important to remind people about the actions of Hamas that lead to this situation. In 2008, Hamas fired 3000 rockets or mortars into Israel.

en.wikipedia.org...

The border towns in Israel were on constant alert and most lived semi-permanently in bomb shelters. Israel warned for months that this would have to stop or they would invade. Hamas refused and we have the situation now. Now Hamas is placing it weapons placements and caches in civilian areas putting Palestinians in harms way and intensifying civilian casualties. People need to understand, this was all the choice of Hamas. The broke the cease fire and caused the invasion and now their a causing civilian deaths by making them targets. Even now, Israel says they will stop their operations if Hamas certifiably disarms. They refuse. This is all the choice of Hamas. Unfortunately, the Palestinian people are bearing the brunt of Hamas's twisted choices.

[edit on 8-1-2009 by johnny2127]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
so israel fulfilled it's side of the cease fire agreement then, did it?

another blame thread is pointless, why not just shout at people in one of the allready existing threads?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Not saying that either. But if this way a pie chart that showed responsibility, Hamas would have the largest chunk of the pie by far.

Why do many of you defend Hamas so much? Their actions are indefensible. My post is not about defending Israel, God knows they have made many mistakes, but more about showing many of you that Hamas bears the majority the blame. Hence for this to end, they need to be taken out.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnny2127
Many are quick to blame Israel, and argue that they broke the peace agreement. I think its important to remind people about the actions of Hamas that lead to this situation. In 2008, Hamas fired 3000 rockets or mortars into Israel.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here's a post I made in another thread regarding the wikipedia page you cite:

Originally posted by Cadbury

Originally posted by Founding
A quick check on Wikipedia confirms rocket attacks came before the raid.

en.wikipedia.org...

These 'facts' suggest that rocket attacks came before the raid in that specific video. But if you look at the data on your source from June 19th, 2008 (the day the cease-fire went into effect) and the following days you can see that there were also Israeli raids at that time:

June 19, 2008

Through Egyptian mediation Israel and Hamas agreed to a six month cease-fire on June 17th that went into effect on June 19, 2008 at 6:00 AM.

June 20, 2008

Gilad Herman, an Israeli settler in the West Bank settlement of Yashif, unintentionally fires upon an Israeli when he launches a home-made rocket towards Palestinian West Bank. The rocket lands "meters away from a Breslov hassid who was praying in the area." No one is hurt.

June 23, 2008

A single mortar shell was also fired from Gaza late Monday night and landed on the Israeli side of the border fence. No organization claimed responsibility for the attack.

June 24, 2008

Three Qassam rockets fired from Gaza on Tuesday struck the Israeli border town of Sderot and its environs, causing no serious injuries but constituting the first serious breach of a five-day-old truce between Israel and Hamas. Islamic Jihad claimed responsibility for the attack and said it had been a response to an Israeli military raid in the West Bank city of Nablus at dawn on Tuesday, in which a senior Islamic Jihad operative Tareq Abu Ghali, 24 and another Palestinian university student Iyad Khanfar, 21 were killed. An Israeli Army spokesman said that Abu Ghali had been involved in terrorism and that he was "killed in an exchange of fire." The man killed with him was armed.

So, which came first? The Chicken or the Egg? Will we ever truly know?

Depending on who fired that rocket on June 23rd, Israel could have broken the ceasefire as little as 5 days after its inception.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   

reply to post by pieman

Not saying that either. But if this way a pie chart that showed responsibility, Hamas would have the largest chunk of the pie by far.

Really? From your source:

From 2001 when the missile attacks started until 27 April 2008, 13 Israelis were killed by Qassam rockets. During this time, for every Israeli killed by Qassam rockets, about 100 Palestinians have been killed by Israel.

Who do you think has the larger share of the pie now? 13 Israelis killed in 7 years. That's not 2 a year. And what brings on these attacks? Economic sanctions against Palestinians. What should they do? Just starve? Well they are anyways but when you're in a camp you do what you can. These ineffectual weapons are all they have to do ANYTHING with. Israel's gov't knows this and use it to win the propaganda war. It's worked forever but this is the digital age, they aren't getting an easy pass now.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I haven't posted on the many other threads that deal with this issue only because the threads are getting out of control with bloodbath comments. I agree about wondering why everyone is acting like Hamas didn't do anything to provoke Isreal to fight back. Isreal would have done this a long time ago if the U.S. hadn't been holding it back. It reminds me of siblings that fight...one will taunt and pick and when the other one has enough and explodes it is usually that one (the second) that gets into trouble because no one heard the first doing the intimidating! (this happened with my sister and I on SEVERAL occasions!) Why is everyone forgetting that HAMAS is a terrorist organization??????? The same ones that promote killing in the name of ALLAH..... the same ones that will gladly strap on bombs to kill innocent civilians and themselves just to be martyrs???? Why is everyone all of a sudden acting like radical Islam is right in its actions against Isreal?? Does everyone want America to become a Muslim country and instill Shiite Law?? Seems that way to me....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
How many times int he past has this level of over-reaction worked for Israel?.............

Would that be never?

All they have done is sow the seeds for the next generation of terrorists.

Unless thier intent is genocide and ethnic clensing, this patter has proven itself not to work.

On the other hand if they build, give hope, perhaps they could break the cycle. But then again with peace, thier economy may have to do without all of the billions the US provides in direct and indirect aid

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

So the effectiveness of Israel's response to Hamas's actions means that they shouldn't respond? You blame this on economic sanctions. Why are there those sanctions? And from multiple nations mind you. Because Hamas is a terrorist organization that now runs the country, and they will not stop lobbing rockets and mortars into Israel.

Remember, Hamas is the organization whose stated purpose is the destruction of Israel and establishment of a Islamic state in its absence. The attempt to kill as many Jews as possible. Thank God they have sanctions and blockades because with better weapons they would kill even more people without hesitation. Israel just wants their people to live in safety and without fear. They respond to attacks, not the other way around.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

In all these decades, Hamas caused less than 20 Israeli deaths.. while in
only the last 13 days, Israel has murdered over 700 innocent palestines.
Israel has murdered hundreds of thousand palestines throughout the same
decades in which Hamas caused those 20 Israeli deaths.

Yes, what you say makes a lot of sense.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Wehali

20 Israeli deaths? What are you smoking? Single terror attacks in Israel have killed that many. Find new sources friend.

And calling every Palestinian death as 'innocent' is comical. Apparently you can fire rockets at Israeli troops and try to kill them, but still be innocent.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Wehali

Now that is just absolute nonsense... Please only speak about this if you're going to be serious.

That is THE single most ridiculous statement I've read in ANY israel/palestine conflict thread!!

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I haven't really decided who is the bad guy in all of this, I don't believe either side, but what I can't seem to understand is if Hama's has fired over 3000 rockets and 18 deaths have occured since 2004,( corect me if wrong) were the hell are they firing all of these rockets and mortars, you would think 3000 rockets would cause coniderable damage and loss of life.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
now matter what a leader does i dont believe civilians should be targeted. but its worldly ways. israel needs to stop thinking they own the world just because they are backed by the united states. if you was starving would you go crazy? i would do anything i would have to do to get food no matter religion. im not saying hamas did wrong or right just look at the whole picture

[edit on 8-1-2009 by new world disorder]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

en.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps but based on Wiki, there have been 480 isreali fatialities as a result of HAMAS attacks.

This brutal attack alone has resulted in conservativly 700 deaths alone.

Heck the war criminal Ariel Sharon was responsable for anywhere from 800 to 3500 palistinians.

Really who is the butcher here?

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Hey, I'm not debating who is right, who is wrong?

I took exception to the comment made by the misinformed poster who said:

"In all these decades, Hamas caused less than 20 Israeli deaths.. while in
only the last 13 days, Israel has murdered over 700 innocent palestines.
Israel has murdered hundreds of thousand palestines throughout the same
decades in which Hamas caused those 20 Israeli deaths."

That is a blatant lie... decades of attacks... 20 deaths??

Come on... excuse me for denying ignorance.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Note I said Perhaps eh? I did not agree with his total either.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

en.wikipedia.org...

Perhaps but based on Wiki, there have been 480 isreali fatialities as a result of HAMAS attacks.

Your own comment disproves what wehail said straight away?

i think you may have misunderstood me or something?
I have no idea why you are actually questioning what i wrote, when your own post corroborates what i have said?

very puzzled

Sorry if I'm missing something?

[edit on 8/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   

I must be missing your point too

Lets just say this:

His totals are off. I agree 100% with that. But his message while exagerated still points to the fact that israel has massacred way more civilians in this attack alone than in a decade+ of HAMAS attacks.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I don't know where that came from but check my post above. Seems to have been missed in the rhetoric.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Now I'm just lost....

Good post though

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join