It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

to the 2012'ers

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There is no such thing as the Galactic Alignment.

How is that for an opening statement from a 2012 writer huh?

Bearing in mind I even have a very long article discussing the mechanics of it on my site! The mechanics of the target event are however correct. The title used is left as is simply because nobody would search Google for the correct term.

2012rising.com...
2012rising.com...

Between the years 1980 and 2016 the winter solstice sun rises into a region of the sky that puts it conjunct with the Dark Rift in the milky way, very approximately it will also be a conjunction of the galactic centre. The central point in this event occurred in 1998-9. It will however still be occurring in a slightly more limited form on 21-12-2012 the day the Maya Long Count calendar rolls over into a new Baktun cycle having completed a 5125 year spin of the wheels.

Like all wheels the Maya Calendar can never have an end. To state a circular system has an end is utterly nonsensical. Linear time thinking can not be brought to bear on the Maya system of cyclical time. There can be no prophecy of an absolute end, such a thought has no meaning within the system.

The Maya tracked backward in time millions of years with their calendar system as well as forward into distant futures. They plotted movements of astronomic bodies, as well as Terran considerations. It seems the Maya also tracked more subtle energies of metaphysical consideration. This is not the mindset of a people that feared some world ending Doomsday just a few centuries ahead of them.

Back to the sky. The really interesting thing about the end of this current Long Count and the end of its 13th Baktun is it coincides so closely with the Galactic Conjunction brought about by precession of the equinox.

Precession, or the Earth's wobble as it is sometimes called, causes the poles to trace circles through the 12/13 constellations of the zodiac. In all, one complete cycle takes approx 25,900 years to end. This was known as the 'Great Year' by the ancient Greeks and Egyptians. It can be thought of as a cosmic clock. The signs of the Zodiac form the numbers on the face whilst the line of the poles extended into space are the hands.

Every half cycle something of considered note occurs (just under 13,000 years), the pole more inclined toward the galactic centre changes from the North to the South or vice versa.

There is also an event known in ancient lore as the Holy Cross which occurs at the completion of an entire cycle, its rather complex and long to describe so click here to read the details www.lunarplanner.com...

This is considered by dozens of esoteric traditions as being an extremely important event for mankind and our spiritual progression on Earth. Most also hold that part of the progression comes about via trials and tribulations of myriad form. None insurmountable however.

Just to dispel some erroneous data for you let me explain why the Galactic Alignment is false terminology. The Galactic centre is impossible to mark accurately and in fact there are different ones anyway. There is the centre of galactic rotation, the centre of galactic mass, the centre by galactic span and the centre of the super black hole (impossible to plot as time-space laws break down within). We can consider alignment with the galactic centre as pretty meaningless anyway as all such definitions deal with an enormous region of space dwarfing our tiny sun, alignment or eclipse can not be considered as useful references. The sun does however conjunct the region known as the galactic bulge during the winter solstice of this 36 year long period afore mentioned above.

The Maya calendar system and their cosmology are correctly linked to both tribulations and spiritual growth. Maya elders strongly deny any Doomsday is prophesied by their system or cosmology however.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I always come back to this forum for some strange reason. Only to find people concerned with a single prophecy. Let me remind every single person who even bothers with the 2012 doomsday theories, that there are multiple scenario prophecies regarding this time period. Everyone is drawn to the Mayan Calendar for some strange reason. I agree that it was quite the accomplishment for their time. But, the Mayans had no doomsday theory based around this cycle. In fact the Popol Vuh is the playbook for 2012, which we can see that there is not a dearth of statements about 2012. According to their timeline, December 12, 2012 was the ending of the cycle. Modern writers found the date of 2012 and matched that with other prophecies that all seem to predict doom in 2012 and hence this theory began.

The Mayan’s in fact according to most interpretations believe this as a transititional phase. The analogy I will give to anyone reading this is simple; The Bible, re-written and re-interpreted by multiple sources all who have their own meaning of the original text. Only the Mayans had the date December 12, but multiple prophecies all are actually predicting doom in the year 2012. There is no specific date only something bad is suppose to happen in this year. Also, there is no hardcore evidence that something is going to happen in this year. We have no historic documents of our planet’s activity. It is possible that the Earth might undergo a natural magnetic change that happens once every 500,000 years. And this happens to fall on the year 2012 in our current time. You could even throw the Shiva Hypothesis in this, (that I stated in an above post) which is estimated to happen every 30 million years give or take a few MILLION years and state, “The next comet will hit the Earth on the year 2012). Is this possible? The answer to that question is yes, it is possible. There is already one possible outcome that is backed by scientific evidence, (Another post I made on this site www.abovetopsecret.com...) that has a possibility of happening in the year 2012. This technically matches all the prophecies that are predicted in the year. Regardless we won’t find out until the comes. Once again let me remind everyone the 2012 doomsday theory was popularized by the Mayans, but it does not derive around this single theory.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Let me also make a statement by saying, “I believe something might happen, I also believe nothing will happen. I believe anything is possible. I also believe there are limits.”

If you understand this, then you will understand 2012.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnathanrs

You state that the Maya popularised the Doomsday Prophecy theory. This is utterly untrue!

The Maya have vehemently stated that their calendar does not give a doomsday prophecy for 21-12-2012.

Please read my post above for more details.

Best

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Thank you, I am glad someone else notices these things.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by BruceF

Sorry, but you are wrong. I did not state this, but I will re-post what I said.

According to their timeline, December 12, 2012 was the ending of the cycle. Modern writers found the date of 2012 and matched that with other prophecies that all seem to predict doom in 2012 and hence this theory began.

Also, I made further accusations against writers who used this as a basis for their theory. Never accusing the Mayans at all. Simply explaining how their religion and beliefs were mistuned and abused.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
The Mayan's had their own calander, which was so precise, right down to a 10th of a second, beings its based on multiples of 10, that it is still the most precise calander to exsist. Never has the Mayan calander been required to have a leap year, or add or take away days out of a month, nor had it ever needed to be altered to make certian days fall in a certian season.

I do agree with you mostly but from what I have read about the Mayans suggests that although their astronomical knowledge was very precise their calendar was not, its something to do with using exact numbers for year lengths. I will try and find some information on this.

Not much luck as I'm in no mood to trawl through badly formatted websites a quick search revealed but I did find some information on wikipedia:

As a calendar for keeping track of the seasons, the Haab' was crude and inaccurate, since it treated the year as having 365 days, and ignored the extra quarter day (approximately) in the actual tropical year. This meant that the seasons moved with respect to the calendar year by a quarter day each year, so that the calendar months named after particular seasons no longer corresponded to these seasons after a few centuries.
SOURCE

So it sounds like they did possibly use some kind of leap year.

the calendar falls out of step with the seasons by one day every four years. By comparison, the Julian calendar, used in Europe from Roman times until about the 16th Century, accumulated an error of only one day every 128 years. The modern Gregorian calendar is even more accurate, accumulating only a day's error in approximately 3257 years.
SOURCE

And in some ways the Gregorian calendar is more precise. I must say though I am aware that this is one of their calendars but still.

[edit on 9/1/2009 by CuriosityStrikes]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Hi again,

Evidently you are not in disagreement with me on this point. it was just an error in how you made your point in the post. I was actually referring to where you said this:

"Once again let me remind everyone the 2012 doomsday theory was popularized by the Mayans, but it does not derive around this single theory. "

Clearly it was not the Maya people that popularised the 2012 Doomsday theory, but rather those that took Maya data and added it to their own doomsday theories. I think you meant that the Maya information brought more people to the 2012 subject who then encountered the doomsday theory also being linked to it by others. Is that correct?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
I will tell you the same thing I told another in the Yellowstone thread.

Listen up.

The Mayan's did not go by the Gregorian calander, which if you did the proper research, you will find that the Gregorian calander is not even close to being accurate to the Mayan calander, and that is why your 1998 alignment did not occur in 1998.

The Mayan's had their own calander, which was so precise, right down to a 10th of a second, beings its based on multiples of 10, that it is still the most precise calander to exsist. Never has the Mayan calander been required to have a leap year, or add or take away days out of a month, nor had it ever needed to be altered to make certian days fall in a certian season.

No Im not going to go chase after your homework for you, you can find all of that on your own...that is if you intend to find the facts and not just babble us with more BS.

Yes, the mayans were great astronomers, they timed everything by the alignment of the planets and moons.
Look up at the night sky and you see things are changing.
I swear I see more stars in the orion constallation..Blinking more and I think the sun has a more greyish tint too...Spooking me out.......

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Perhaps it's the age of Aquarius, the water bringer, giving us a new start and a new lease of life. Or maybe gravitational push and pull will kill us all, eliminating human life and making way for the next species. First dinosaurs, then us, what next?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Maya calendar vs Gregorian

Although there is a matter of debate whether the correlation between the Gregorian and Maya systems are out by 1/2 days max. this does not make much difference for the here discussed astronomical event.

With modern advanced telescopes our astronomers do not need to look at ancient calendar systems for astronomic events. They sensibly look at the sky. This is how we confirm the events the Maya spoke of are real and when they will happen, or indeed have happened.

There is no such thing as this 2012 Galactic alignment, as I explained in another post. What we are talking about is a conjunction of the winter solstice sun and the galactic bulge/dark rift. This event takes 36 years to progress in full with its central point at 1998/9. It will still be happening through 2012 right up until 2016 in fact.

The 21-12-2012 date is seemingly more to do with the conjunction of the sun and the dark rift than what we refer to as the centre of the galaxy toward Sagittarius A.

You do not need to do my homework for me as I have been doing it for the last two decades.

Best

Bruce 2012rising.com

[edit on 10-1-2009 by BruceF]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
One of the odd things about these discussions is the lack of credit given to Mayan astronomers for being very pragmatic and knowledgeable about the solar system and its environs. Anyone who could figure out the rotational period of Venus, track Mercury, etc., would also very probably be aware of and track earth-crossing objects. These people were very into studying cyclical astronomical behaviors: someone explain to me logically why they wouldn't keep track of comets and asteroids as well as Venus, okay?

Now we all know the world has, indeed, ended many times: the various extinctions due to incoming asteroids are well known. Not so well known are the many times when space rocks haven't killed everything, but just made life miserable for a few years:

fireballs-meteorites.blogspot.com...

www.sott.net...

So who's to say that they weren't marking the alignment with the galactic center so much as a date with the next round of potential planet-wreckers? I'm not so sure that they were speaking spiritually or metaphorically so much as pragmatically pointing out (literally): "heads up! watch out for incoming around this time!"

And to that end: HEADS UP, DAMMIT!:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

On February 18th 2009 (yes, in a few weeks), an asteroid, meteoroid stream, and a comet will converge in our backyard. Sure, sure the asteroid and comet will miss us (why? because they always do, right?right?[you dinosuars shut up, you guys don't count!])...but remember, we're not the only target in the nieghborhood. If a big chunk of anything hits the moon, it'll still be pretty bad for us. Personally, I'm laying in a few supplies, cuz there's a big range of outcomes from annihilation to a few very bad years: I'm hoping nothing happens, but if it does I want to maximize my chances.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by BruceF

You answered your own question. You are right I mis-implied that statement. Obviously it came out right wrong, thank you for correcting it.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by Johnathanrs]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Well said! lol

Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Great to meet you I hope we get to chat much more.

Bruce

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
ehm..

the mayan calendar just ends in what smart mayan calendar-dudes have calculated to be our(greg.cal.) 21,12,2012. ok ? OOOOOK ?

and it does NOT say anything about end of the world. Im so tired of people talking about doomsday releated to this date.

But what it DOES say, is that we're ending this time era and I will guess go into a new one. What this new time era brings I don't know. But, I really hope for that whole entering a higher vibration, peace'n'love-stuff..

and just to say one more thing..that whole 2000/y2k vs 2012 is just bull#..the whole 2012-thing is based on relevant evidence(the mayan calendar just to mention one thing), not fearmongering from the media

anyway, lets hope for the whole enlightment stuff, couse things doesn't look to good for us humans in the early future(wars, financial crisis, enviroment etc)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
correction in 1998 there was a galatic allignment HOWEVER all it was was IN OUR solor system

all the planets lined up

what the 2012 refers too is our SUNS position to the milky way passing through the secretion disc across the PLANE of the milky way which has an ORBIT cycle of 26000 years

Recorded history states MAN wasnt around the lastime this cycle accord

as far as the END nothing states its the end (it simply states a GREAT change)

IF a solor flare (being at this time the sun will be at its MAX for activity were to FRY EVERY electronic system in space I promise u will see a HUGE CHANGE
STUDY MORE it took me 4 weeks of research just to grasp the concept

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 03:36 AM
link   
Ive been hearing about dooms day years for every year i lived. 1990, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2008, 2012, 2020, 2025, etc. None of which has happened. Its all there hardcore religious fanatics that hope "god" will come and cleanse the non-believers...

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Wow four whole weeks of study hey? lol

Everything you just said is wrong and has no evidence to support it.

I just spent the last 5 years researching to find that out.

Post authoritative links to prove your correct and I will happily shut up.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by NavalFC

You are wrong: read John Major Jenkins "Maya Cosmogenesis 2012" and "Galactic Alignment". Everything in nature goes in cycles and this is the end of a 26000 year earth cycle. There is an alignment coming.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join