It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all you BLEEPING ATSers BLEEP YOU !!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
This is a great thread. Perceive that line.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by Dulcimer]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
My compliments to the OP, very creative.
I find it a very nice and positive message.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
"Clap,clap clap!!"

Very , very poignant OP, it gives one a "Different" take on what "Censorship" can cause in the minds eye of perception.
All I can really say is BLEEP you too!!!

(Thank)

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well, it would appear that Illinois 'Governor' (for now) Rod Blagoyavich IS ALIVE AND WELL!!!

I'm happy to see that a humourous post has been taken for what it's worth...just the pure humour!!!

How this comports within the "Psychology, Philosphy and Metaphysics" thread, et al, is yet to be explained, by the OP....

OK, I can 'somewhat' understand the placement....since putting the "Illinoise" Governors' actions into the 'Political' forum is simply too easy....so MAYBE it does belong in the 'psychological' threads.....?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by deepred

Bleep you very much sir! This is one of the best bleeping posts I've seen in a while. Before I read it I was like damn, someones pretty PO'd but this was a very nice change of pace and gave me a bit of a chuckle. You get a star! I second that. Thank you ATS for continuing to be a great site and great members! err....I mean BLEEP you ATS! Bleep you from the bottom of my heart!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
There is no lesson here. Most people understand that 'bleeps' are reserved for profanity. Are you suggesting that people jump to the conclusion that actors actually die when they are 'killed' in a movie?

No, OP we get it, ha! It's not real, you see! In the case where an actor 'dies,' it is okay for the audience to perceive that he dies for the sake of the script, while knowing that in real life, the actor was not killed.

And your 'lesson' is the equivalent of some moron standing up in the middle of movie and yelling: "They're not really dead!!!!"

When we read a sentence where the word 'bleep' is inserted in place of another word, duh, we get it - its okay to perceive profanity regardless of what was actually intended.

So, don't get all cute by parading around your goofy and obscure prank as evidence that you are now some sort of expert on perception. If people believed there was profanity intended, they were right to believe so, because, by universal convention, it is understood that profanity was intended.

If you believe that your corny prank proves that anyone needs a perception lesson, then it is you who has jumped to a flawed conclusion.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by deepred Do not "PERCIEVE" that which is not there.

Perception is everything.

And I before E, except after C.

Surveillance.

The rule does not apply for this and a few other words.

Also a very interesting thread about perception.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Cio88

That isn't so. Foul language, insults, and illegal activity are snipped. If you're referring to some threads that just seem to disappear I'd recommend spending the points to post on RATS. A lot of "truth" threads go there. Depending on what subject matter you're posting the "truth" about.

[edit on 1/4/2009 by ShAuNmAn-X]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
This is a pretty cheap way to rack up those participation points, do you think??

If you so pissed off...then go [SNIP] away and don't look back [SNIP]!!!

profanity removed

Please read ABOUT ATS: Vulgarity and The Automatic ATS Censors

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 4/1/09 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wolf241e

Don't jump to conclusions, did you even bother to read the OP? It's not what it appears to be (like many things on ATS)

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Nice bleepin 1 mate

why on earth do people get mad though?

Urmm because we are humans,,,aint we?

human nature to get mad

tut tut

Peace out

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CVTman
There is no lesson here. Most people understand that 'bleeps' are reserved for profanity. Are you suggesting that people jump to the conclusion that actors actually die when they are 'killed' in a movie?

Heh, I think your idea is entirely correct but perhaps a tad extreme in sentiment.

As you note, it's perfectly understandable that people would interpret the 'bleep' as profanity. Indeed, it's fairly normative (e.g., 'what the 'bleep' do we know'). Add to that the caps, which tends to be interpreted as shouty, then the ambiguity is not so clear and affectively neutral. A shouty person probably using profanity is an obvious interpretation.

There are much better approaches to showing how our pre-existing biases alter our perception under settings of ambiguity.

The turban effect: The influence of Muslim headgear and induced affect on aggressive responses in the shooter bias paradigm

Christian Unkelbach *, Joseph P. Forgas, Thomas F. Denson
School of Psychology, Mathews Building 502, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia

a b s t r a c t
Does Islamic appearance increase aggressive tendencies, and what role does affect play in such responses? In a computer game, participants made rapid decisions to shoot at armed people, some of whom wore Islamic head dress. We predicted and found a significant bias for participants to shoot more at Muslim targets. We also predicted and found that positive mood selectively increased aggressive tendencies
towards Muslims, consistent with affect-cognition theories that predict a more top-down, stereotypical processing style in positive mood. In contrast, induced anger increased the propensity to shoot at all targets. The relevance of these results for our understanding of real-life negative reactions towards Muslims is discussed, and the influence of affective states on rapid aggressive responses is considered.

linky

If anyone wants to test their potential 'implicit' biases, just go to the harvard IAT website and perform a few IATs.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Bleep me...No bleep you you bleeping bleepster.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cio88
Actually ATS mods will snip anything that is truth. I hate to say it but this site is also 'Bought and paid for' thanks to MSM

If ATS mods will 'snip' anything that is truth, then I guess you're statement must be false.
In which case the truth is that they won't snip anything that is truth

reply to post by CVTman

I saw it as more of a joke then a lesson.
But if you want to take it as a lesson, it could be the fact that many people will read the first 3 sentences of something and think they know it all - then reply and look like jackasses.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   
how in the world is this a conspiracy thread?

Isnt this why we have below top secret?

How is this supposed to attract users to the site when its on the front page?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I love this, I'm sitting thinking OH NO HE DIDN"T, this has to be a joke

I was right...sort of....thank you for this, I love these little reminders throughout my day, helps me keep an open mind

S&F

-JR

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
lol good thread. I approve

Very clever.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 08:08 PM
link   
initially i thought the topic was censorship, lol good post!

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join