It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To all you BLEEPING ATSers BLEEP YOU !!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Bleeping out words is used to indicate the word is bad, at least way up here in crazy Canada.

If you hadn't provided the alternative explanation, that original part with the bleeps could entirely be taken at face value.

If someone says something offensive, depending on severity, even an alternative explanation may not be enough to justify what was said. Sometimes perception is enough. Humans don't always feel facts so don't say "well I didn't mean it, so I'm not wrong!".

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Ive not seen an OP in a long time that has made me think, the way this one has. Well done.

Way to go buddy. nice thread.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by gimme_some_truth]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by deepred
Thank you for your insight to the OP.

As was shown in the second half of the post BLEEP does not always mean what many would perceive it to mean.

It was intended to be a dramatic method of pointing out how we sometimes assume we understand the meaning of a word when we do not.

BTW what words did you substitute for the BLEEPS while you were reading the first half of the post?

Yeah I understand. I am somewhat torn on it. I get and seen your point - and generally agree with the premise. But at the same time, I can't help but realize that you are also playing on peoples perceptions - as if there wasn't a valid reason why peoples perceptions were that way.

I don't think the example really fits for me. By the time I got to your post, it was on the front page(isn't now, but was for a minute), had a couple of stars and such. Plus, I have 1900X1200 resolution, so I could see the top of the "real" one. So I didn't really replace each individual word etc. I figured something must be up for the other reasons. However, no doubt if I had come across only the top portion without all that I would have also replaced them with bad words.

In reality, people are just looking for the correct perception to apply to things, and I do believe in this case the correct perception for the bleeps would have normally been with bad words. Bleep is another word for censored.

If anything, it's a good example of how censorship and not giving all the facts on something will lead to people filling in the blanks and how the person who does these things are the ones to blame for what people fill into those blanks for leaving them blank in the first place. Kind of like how things are placed onto things the government does in secrecy. I don't blame people for what they fill into the blanks, I blame the secrecy for creating the blanks.

The very act of doing these things is an attempt to hide the truth from those who can't figure it out on their own, and so you can only blame yourself for the reactions. If the truth was told from the start, rather than secrecy on these things, then the misconceptions wouldn't exist to begin with. Just as if your OP had been the 2nd part without the censors, no problem would have existed in this thread.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by encinoman
reply to post by deepred

Thank you for this thread.

I have been working on a research project and this might just have helped me a bit.

BTW the project is: " What is the validity of religious texts(Bible & Qur'an)? Who wrote them, when and why? What makes them valid or not valid as communication from a supreme being?"

It might just be that the validity is not with the material itself but with how the reader perceives it thus making it valid for some and not for others

Thanks again
S&F

Good luck with your project.

It makes me wonder if mis-perception sometimes leads to conflct.

A friend of mine was using my garage to work on his truck he assured me he would have the truck out of the garage at a certain time.

When he ran far past the time he said he would have the truck out of the garage I yelled across the garage at him and said "get the truck out of here"

He seemed a bit upset and I later learned that he had heard what I said as "get the (replace the "TR" in truck with an "F") out of here"

[edit on 4-1-2009 by deepred]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   
hmmmmmm, my immediate reaction to the bleeping post was, bleep yea, this guys got bleeping balls,
then I read the translation

I should post a more in depth bleeping response,

waiting for my bleepng U2U

[edit on 033131p://bSunday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Well while were making useless posts...

BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEP

translate that.... arent i smart?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
lol love it !! great way to show the assumtive attitiudes lol gotta admit ya got me to look . way to go . As the saying goes "never ASSUME "

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Awesome post illustrating that things are always as they seem. :-)

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackKnight7365
lol love it !! great way to show the assumtive attitiudes lol gotta admit ya got me to look . way to go . As the saying goes "never ASSUME "

I think the better saying is - When you ASSUME, you make an ASS outta U and ME.

Hope that's not against TOS for saying that. My apologies if not - or maybe I am just making this not a 1 sentence post - what shall you assume?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Aye!! must admit this site has opened my eyes...and if I want to know something, monitor world events...I always come here!!!

And reading the arguments ..so I can find some truth..even though it will be my descision..but I can make an "informed decsision"!!

Aye!! truly is an excellant site!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Calm down, I'm not trying to act cool. I have been fooled before, just wasn't this time.
After I read the Bleeped part or most of it. I was scrolling down wholly expecting to find an explanation for the thread title etc. You seriously thought someone went off on ATS of all places?
I know this is looked down upon here but "lol".
In fact I almost didn't click on this thread because I suspected it was someone trying to be clever.
I am as surprised at your disbelief as you seem to be at my level of perception.
No worries though.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Well while were making useless posts...

BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP BLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEPBLEEP

translate that.... arent i smart?

With all due respect if you feel this is a useless post I think you have missed the point.

And to answer your question .......uh NO

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Elijio

Ah but doesn't that also prove the OP's point?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Elijio

You seriously thought someone went off on ATS of all places?

sadly no, one could not post a rant such as this without it being removed.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Touche.
Your a clever fellow aren't you
I mean, you are a fellow right? If not I apologize, it's just
that your avatar leads me to percei...ah crap.
Seriously though, where are the others who "perceived" the thread the same way I did?
C'mon BLEEPers I can't be the only one on the blue team.

Okay, just saw stormdancer's post.
I feel better now.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by Elijio]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Bleeping words is used to indicate the word is bad, yes. But I think I got a little more from this post as regards the whole "internet communication" perception issue.

A person can say "I don't care" and it can be perceived as "I couldn't care less about you or your stinking opinions". It can "sound" pretty offensive, depending on the reader's perception. It can also mean, "I don't really have an opinion one way or the other", which is not offensive at all.

So, that's what I took from this.

Thus, chill.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Good one! I was just thinking yesterday how much I do enjoy ATS. Since joining a couple of months ago, I now come here for: Entertainment, News, Spirituality, Education, and to feel socially connected to those who know what's up. Oh, on a side note, OP, if you really need to sleep at night, check out some of the meditation threads, I sleep like a freakin' bear in winter these days!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by deepred

Great!!! You almost had me. Thanks, it will keep me on my toes.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I have to say this is a fascinating thread in the psychological sense.

This is also something we can all relate to just being ATS members. How many times have we made a post that someone completely misconstrued, labeled offensive, or automatically assumed we had the worst of intentions with what we wrote?

How many times have we been misjudged in real life by our appearance or body language? How many times has an act of kindness been turned around on the one trying to spread kindness?

How many times have we been guilty of reading into something totally harmless and took it negatively?

Good thread. It makes us think.

[edit on 1/4/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Wow That was awesome. I was getting fumed but read on any way. So glad I did. Aint misconception grand

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join