It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US blocks UN Security Council action on Gaza

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   

US blocks UN Security Council action on Gaza

news.yahoo.com

The United States late Saturday blocked approval of a U.N. Security Council statement calling for an immediate cease-fire in the Gaza Strip and southern Israel and expressing concern at the escalation of violence between Israel and Hamas.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Son of Hamas Founder Gives True Glimpse Into Terror Organization
Hezbollah urges Hamas to 'kill as many Israeli soldiers as they can' during Gaza op
UN SC fails to halt Israeli raids on Gaza
Israeli ground troops invade Gaza to halt rockets

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Big surprise there.

It is really telling when a single person or nation blocks an alternatively unanimous agreement on something as big as this.

To me it says the world is against the war, or war in general, but the US government will allow it to happen, or cause it to happen, wherever and whenever they see fit. As long as it's hurting them 'a-rab terr'ists'.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Just another example to go on the list of others of how the United Nations is a toothless tiger and doesnt warrant its existance.

Isnt democracy supposed to mean "by Majority" when put to a vote?

where does it say that it has to be unanimous?

And why cant the rest of the UN Security Council put their resolution forward regardless of what the US thinks and let it be known that the US is against what the rest of the UN thinks?

Either reform the UN, or get rid of it together and let God sort them all out!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
THANK GOD, I can again for the first time in a long time say I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

It has been a long time coming I can tell you that, but it has come and YAHOO!!!

I am sure considering that muslims have more than half the membership of the UN that many Muslims and Jew Haters would love to see the UN be about the majority.

Besides look at it this way, Israel wouldn't have abided by anything that they saw as against their Rights or anything that they might consider National Security anyways so you didn't lose anything if this story upsets you.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Surprising? I knew on forehand that this would happen. Every resolution condemning Israel is vetoed by the US, leading to a situation in which Israel has green light for everything it wants to do.

What surprises me is that they still put effort in preparing resolutions when the outcome is known already. This veto system is really crappy. They should have made a system in which two veto votes are required to reject a resolution.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
The U.S doesn't want a ceasefire, It wants the war to escalate, it wants Iran to get involved so it will FINALLY have an excuse to launch attacks on them.

Faking Video/Audio to provoke a war didn't turn out so well....

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I'm glad they did. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites at the UN. Maybe one day the world will realize that the UN is a waste of time.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
As long as it's hurting them 'a-rab terr'ists'.

If this was in any way ideological then it might be even slightly excusable. It's not about arabs, muslims or terrorists, it's just about partnership, land, oil, tactics, money. Like all of the US wars.

Ideology as a reason for war for America died out long ago, pretty much around the time when they wiped out and humiliated the aboriginal Indians on the American continent.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
THANK GOD, I can again for the first time in a long time say I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!!!

That's kinda sad! THANK GOD? That sounds just like "ALLUHA AKBAR" to me!
.. Oh.. FYI - god has NOTHING to do with it.

The way the UN 'works' needs to be revised immediately if one country can vito affirmative action. All this leads one to assume is that America wants to see innocent people die in other countries - so long as it's not their own.

This is the exact reason why extreme factions like al qaeda form and hate the west... the EXACT reason!

Thanks America for the shame & embarrassment!

IRM

[edit on 4/1/09 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   

It has been a long time coming I can tell you that, but it has come and YAHOO!!!

I am sure considering that muslims have more than half the membership of the UN that many Muslims and Jew Haters would love to see the UN be about the majority.

Besides look at it this way, Israel wouldn't have abided by anything that they saw as against their Rights or anything that they might consider National Security anyways so you didn't lose anything if this story upsets you.

funny...

the majority of the world is against you americans (for a good reason) and you are proud of it?

and you ask yourself and get angry when you find out that people around the globe are disliking brainwashed sheeple like you more and more?

people like you call the truth: hate and criticism: anti-semitism?

people like you call decades of ethnic cleansing and murder justice?

your 'civilization' is falling apart and you celebrate?

you can celebrate all you want, but these kind of action in UN against any common sense will only speed up america's and israel demise...!

so, dream on!

[edit on 4-1-2009 by donhuangenaro]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

The main purpose for the United Nations (U.N.) is to resolve issues between countries through diplomacy before countries resort to military force and before conflicts escalate. Unfortunately, the U.N. has consistently failed this goal and will continue being useless for these several reasons.

First, the United Nations is primarily a forum for debate. As a result, the U.N. is an international organization where countries send representatives to argue for or against issues. These representatives are typically just spokesmen for their country's agendas and are relatively powerless in their own country. Furthermore, countries governed by non-peaceful dictators and regimes typically use these debates to delay and obfuscate issues in their favor. Over the fifty years that the United Nations has existed, these debates alone have not resolved a single issue. Direct military actions, back room negotiations, and threats, that were not sponsored by the United Nations, have had the only real positive affects for change.

www.philforhumanity.com...

The UN is a joke and the same ones who want Israel to stop are the same ones who won't take Palestinians refugees into their own country.

Why don't other countries take in Palestinians?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazyninja

Yeah, I know there is more too it. Was just referring to Bush's comments Friday that Hamas attacks on Israel an 'act of terror'.

It sounded like he was justifying vetoing the resolution before it happened by pulling out the terrorist card again.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Somebody has to stand behind a country that is repeatedly subjected to indiscriminate rocket fire. Hamas is just like the little kid that keeps poking at the dog that clearly wants to be left alone. Don't be surprised if the dog suddenly bites you after the 1,000th poke. I seriously do not understand the logic sending rockets into Israel when they should be focused on finding every way possible to create a nation, create a healthy infrastructure, and create some drive toward prosperity. They should accept a definition of a nation at whatever borders they can negotiate and then become a valid state. Build, educate, flourish, and then if they want more land they can start a war when they have the means to fight it. Until then I believe Hamas is obviously the most clueless, uneducated, and blind leadership body ever organized.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
www.philforhumanity.com...

The UN is a joke and the same ones who want Israel to stop are the same ones who won't take Palestinians refugees into their own country.

Why don't other countries take in Palestinians?

are you also proud to be american?

it is incredible to see people think creating refugees and debating why other countries don't want any is a normal thing!

the fact that you ignore why people become refugees in the first place speaks volumes about you!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by donhuangenaro

funny...

the majority of the world is against you americans (for a good reason) and you are proud of it?

and you ask yourself and get angry when you find out that people around the globe are disliking brainwashed sheeple like you more and more?

people like you call the truth: hate and criticism: anti-semitism?

people like you call decades of ethnic cleansing and murder justice?

your 'civilization' is falling apart and you celebrate?

you can celebrate all you want, but these kind of action in UN against any common sense will only speed up america's and israel demise...!

so, dream on!

What does it matter?

Even if the US did agree it would stop nothing as the UN is powerless in events such as this and if it tried to stop it by force it would end up resulting in a possible world war.

Quite honestly the UN has been infective for years in situations like this they only good thing that comes from the UN is humanitarian aid but even that at times is questionable.

Doesn't matter what the UN thinks because history shows no one there has any power to control anything in a war time environment. In fact the UN is usually the ones running and hiding when it gets messy in humanitarian aid areas leaving all non UN personnel to face their death.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by donhuangenaro

Just goes to show how hypocritical other nations are. They will take in refugees from other wars and resettled them but won't touch the Palestinians with a ten foot pole. Regardless of why they are refugees, your country and others will still not help them. You cry about the poor Palestinians and you send then food and medicine and then once the little war is over, you leave them sitting in a small refugee camps living under the same horrible conditions and forget about them.

Dang hypocrites don't care about the Palestinians as much as they do for criticizing Israel.

BTW, yes I am a freaking American and dang proud of it.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by jam321]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Just goes to show how hypocritical other nations are. They will take in refugees from other wars and resettled them but won't touch the Palestinians with a ten foot pole. Regardless of why they are refugees, your country and others will still not help them. You cry about the poor Palestinians and you send then food and medicine and then once the little war is over, you leave them sitting in a small refugee camps living under the same horrible conditions and forget about them.

Dang hypocrites don't care about the Palestinians as much as they do for criticizing Israel.

BTW, yes I am a freaking American and dang proud of it.

you are calling people like me hypocrites but in the same time you approve 400 killed in recent slaughter (not to mention thousands in 60 years of aggression)?

you know, I am glad that I am nothing like you, and I am glad that you are proud to be american!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Funny how you worry about 400 slaughtered when there are thousands more that are being slaughtered elsewhere in the world and don't even warrant half the attention the Palestinians receive. I don't think there is a country in this world at this moment that will send their troops in there to stop Israel. That means this war will continue and there will be refugees. All your chanting and the UN debating is not going to stop this war. The least countries could do is to get these people out of harms way so they could have a shot at a peaceful life. But that is too much to ask from countries that believe humanitarianism is Israel's job, not theirs. Go cry me a river full of your crocodile tears.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious
What does it matter?

Even if the US did agree it would stop nothing as the UN is powerless in events such as this and if it tried to stop it by force it would end up resulting in a possible world war.

Quite honestly the UN has been infective for years in situations like this they only good thing that comes from the UN is humanitarian aid but even that at times is questionable.

Doesn't matter what the UN thinks because history shows no one there has any power to control anything in a war time environment. In fact the UN is usually the ones running and hiding when it gets messy in humanitarian aid areas leaving all non UN personnel to face their death.

I agree that UN is charade, but why are americans vetoing every resolution that criticize israel? If it would mean nothing why are they doing this then?

I think it would mean something, at least morally!

...this way americans (and those majority proud of it
) only prove their decadence and false morality with which they would like to 'democratize' all the planet (by dropping bomb on everyone who doesn't want their way of life, screaming terrorists! terrorists!)...

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Just goes to show how hypocritical other nations are.

I agree with you. The United States is very hypocritical indeed. When Russia countered a Georgian attack on its nationals in South Ossetia, the United States of Hypocrisy was first to condemn their actions while they now refuse to condemn Israeli actions against Hamas. Can you you explain me the difference?

Georgia started - Russia countered
Hamas started - Israel counters

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join