It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 580
<< 577  578  579    581  582  583 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Oh no... its the end of the world

yellowstone erupt.... 7.0 japan, 8.8 chile.... the end!!!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

It is not over. I posted on another thread about precursors I and my dogs had. I live in north Ga, and had precursors early friday. I told my husband about it, and predicted that a very large quake was gonna hit in less than 24 hours. My dogs are still going nuts, my little blind one is howling!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Sure, this quake will have an impact on YS and other volcanoes. How much? That remain to be seen.

Anyway, I think Norris Geyser Basin is probably the key and the most important area to watch. It is in the Norris Basin where impending changes - for better or worse - will be noticed first.

[edit on 27/2/2010 by Roald]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
All the stuff on the seismograhps are related to the Chile quake. Incoming waves from the Chile quake.

e.g. the activity 1:00/8:15 (black line and going further in red line) is the 6.9 aftershock.

I can't see any YS activity for the moment. I don't think there will be any real visible impact on YS or other volcanos.

Niddy

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Good Morning and Way to go Robin - Maybe they will start listening to you now!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

I've been following this thread for months and months. If they were smart they would start listening to Robin. He is on top of all this. I hope to hear his calculations on all this really soon......

Edit to Add:

Anmarie,
What's your take on this? You are pretty well educated on this subject also. Any speculations or thoughts?

[edit on 27-2-2010 by kennylee]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Yellowstone and teton had a massive quake and after shocks on the 26th and 27th of feb go here to view the seimograths quake.utah.edu... quake.utah.edu... quake.utah.edu... quake.utah.edu...

If you would like more up dates go here www.youtube.com...

if you would to know more about yellowstone go here
www.angelicscorn.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i highly doubt it ...

this 8.8 wont have much effect on YS

other then a small swarm like last time .

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by angelicscorn
if you would to know more about yellowstone go here
www.angelicscorn.co.uk...
Just though I wanted to tell you that I encounter an Content Encoding Error on your site.

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

I am not quite sure what my thoughts are at the moment, I am still trying to process what little information I have. Besides from the dreaded dial up, my area was hit with a major storm and I have not had electric since last Tuesday. So I must limit my time on the laptop as to not run down the battery.

I am glad to see though that there are multiple after shocks occurring, as this will help relieve some of the stress that I believe Haiti's quake added to. Japan's 7.0 did not have many larger after shocks ---.

I am still trying to figure out what PBO did. I think They changed programs although I am not sure. The graphs are different now and it appears that They have reset 0. At least that is what I am hoping They did. If not, then I think we have bigger problems.

pboweb.unavco.org...

pboweb.unavco.org...

As to staying on topic, I am not sure what effect this will have on Yellowstone, it may very well trigger a small swarm. The park is very sensitive and while yes, we did have a large quake there years ago, IMO, that quake woke her up some more. As I said above the multiple after shocks while bad for the people of Chile, but will help to relieve stress (I hope) on the plates. A little time will tell and Electric and High speed Internet would sure help some.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

You might be right. Even so, a quake in Alaska some years back changed the behavior of the geysers at YS. Let's hope the 8.8 in Chile do not affect YS in any way. But I do have a feeling that the Chile quake is the start if a swarm of 6+ quakes that might move towards US and eventually...maybe YS.

[edit on 27/2/2010 by Roald]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
For any of you folk on the Big and surronding Islands:

www.prh.noaa.gov...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I just want it clear that I did not predict the Chilean earthquake. The closest thing I've said was that the America's would see an event around the Olympics. It was speculation without any sound reasoning other than a counterpoint to the activity on lead edge of Austrialian plate and thought that there may increased spread in Pacific ridge. My main concern was the Juan De Fuca plate.
There has been no noticeble siesmic events at Yellowstone at the moment. The reason that it shows at Yellowstone is that all along the Americas is a series of long contential faults. Think of the Andeas as a spine. I agree that just like the Alaskan earthquake, this massive quake could change geyers. This was a monster quake, and is just to the north of the largest quake ever recordeed in modern times. 9.5 M I think.

Hebgen Lake did not cause an eruption. But it did change the aquifer and course and flow of Yellowstone River. Haiti was not a massive earthquake. It was shallow and the destruction was caused by lack of building codes. This Chilean earthquake is enormous and it's aftershocks are nearly 7M.

I didnt predict this, but find it interesting that we're in a full moon period and just reaching perigee in next few hours.

As I write this, there has been a big aftershock and it another region which is relatively far away and substainaly inland. The quakes are travelling up the back bone of South American.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Umm Robin, maybe you were writing in a state but, you did say just this:

You want another prediction? Well that's not very meaningful obviously. However I am thinking there could be a major event during Feb 27-28 with the full moon. Now I've been stressing that it's a new moon after a full moon. But this full moon seems to be the last stroke in the engine. The moon's gravitational pull will only get weaker as the year rolls on. The next new moon will not be very powerful. So if there is any energy left, any pressure left, it will occur as the Full Moon releases it's grip after perigee.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
www.isthisthingon.org...

this is interesteing

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

That prediction was specific to Yellowstone and I believe activity will happen after the perigee and full moon wane. There is a geologists who insists full moon cause eathquakes. Jim Berkland

en.wikipedia.org...

I wish I hadn't started wondering about the Chilean quake. But...

I wish I didn't have water on the brain. But... At the moment we are under the influence of a strong El Nino. The warm waters off of Chile produce increased rainfall in South American. Increase rainfall lubricates faultlines.

Rain+Full Moon= lubricated faults.

www.aquarium.co.za...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Robin, just a thought.
The sun has been in a particularly prolonged and deep solar minimum for the last couple of years, with fewer sunspots and solar storms erupting on its surface. When the sun is in this state, it also sends less energy out in the soft X-ray and extreme ultraviolet parts of its spectrum. These wavelengths of light have a significant impact on the thermosphere, where air molecules absorb their energy and the reradiate it in the form of infrared energy.

Earth's thermosphere (the layer above 62 miles or 100 km above the Earth's surface) have responded quite dramatically to the effects of the 11-year solar cycle, and in fact, the thermosphere has cooled by a factor of 10 since the last solar maximum in early 2002.

The cooling effect also has an effect on the orbits of satellites, because it changes the density of the atmosphere layer. For example, if the layer heats up, it expands like a marshmallow in a microwave, as several scientists described it, and lower, denser parts of the atmosphere rise to higher altitudes. Essentially, as the upper atmosphere expands, the lower atmosphere also expands to fill the space. When the thermosphere cools, the opposite happens and the layers deflate and sink to lower altitudes.

Now I wonder. Since the thermosphere now is much cooler and the density is higher, could that not make the moon influence stronger?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by pantangele

One reason the Chile quake's waves are showing up stronger than the Sumatran quake's is that the YS was in the "shadow zone" for the 2004 event. So, it didn't register as well.

Here's the Theoretical P-wave Travel Times Map for the 2004 event, that shows YS in the "shadow zone". Even though it was in this zone, the event was so powerful that some of its effects still registered on the YS recorders.

The Map for the Chile quake shows that in this case, YS was fully "exposed" to its P-waves.

Regards,

Mike

EDIT: Sorry... It was Ressiv who commented that the Chile quake's waves seemed stronger. I messed up in addressing my reply to you.

[edit on 27/2/10 by JustMike]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Just like you, Robin, my main concern has been and will continue to be the Juan de Fuca plate and its subduction zone.

I am hoping like -- well, let's say I am hoping a lot -- that this huge quake in Chile will not be the trigger that makes the Juan de Fuca subduction fault let go. I have the feeling that sooner or later, something could trigger it to move again, but I pray it'll hold off this time. Because when that fault does let go, who knows what its effects will be, even on Yellowstone?

Mike

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

I'm gone for a week and a half & all stuff breaks loose.

It was very windy driving home from the hospital late last night visiting my critical ill week old grandchild in the NICU & we are south of Mt St Helen's so some of that could very well be wind.

I am also getting more than a bit nervous as the activity in California is jumping (a lot of activity around L.A. & So Calf where I have family on vacation), 8.8 in Chile, 7.0 in Japan, 7.0 in Haiti... What's next?

It also makes me nervous personally not only that Yellowstone may react to all this activity (I still have family & friends in Montana) but sitting so close to the Cascadia Subduction zone & in the heart of the Cascade Mountain range - I really hope this is just a bunch of unrelated activity & not one region setting off another region setting off another region....

-edit for spelling-

[edit on 27/2/10 by quietright]

top topics

<< 577  578  579    581  582  583 >>

join