It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 581
<< 578  579  580    582  583  584 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

The biggest concern for me right now is that this quakes might migrate up "north". What we see right now is several quite big quakes starting with the M8.8 and 42 "after quakes" ranging from M5 to M6.9 in just a matter of hours. That mean that we do most likely have a mayor slip in that fault. In my mind, this have to generate stress further up the fault. Stress that have to be released. A chain reaction. I did notice now that one M6.3 already have occurred at Salta in Argentina. Ok. A bit inland, but still.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Roald

I see that the Philippines has issued an alert for the eastern coast to prepare for evacuation. If you are in that area please be careful & take precautions.

Here's hoping anyone on the list in the affected areas are safe.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by quietright

I'm high up in the Cordilleras right now. Around 1500 feet up. Guess I'm safe as for now.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Ore., Wash. coast under tsunami advisory; sirens sound in Hawaii

EWA BEACH, Hawaii (AP) - A tsunami threatened the Pacific Rim on Saturday, with an 8.8-magnitude earthquake off Chile sending potentially deadly waves across the ocean at the speed of a jetliner.

Well, it looks like a lot of exciting things are happening, I wonder how Yellowstone will take to this?

This tsunami should show up on the seismographs ?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shutterbugw

The P-Wave have already reach YS. Guess it only takes 11 -12 minutes or so. Let's see if there are going to be some disturbance in the geysers. That should be a good (bad) sign i guess.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Tsunami - Hawaii - Livestream!

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Minor swarm like activity around YPP. Something to watch.

quake.utah.edu...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Are the aftershocks from Chile causing this activity at YSB this afternoon-

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Now there is a minor swarm going on apparently just north of B208 as some
of the larger ones are showing up on B206
www.iris.edu...

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by angelicscorn

In the politest possible way I really should point out to you that coming in on page 580 of this thread, and then directing us to your personal site "to find out more about Yellowstone" seems a little odd.

Having looked at your site may I politely suggest that you read first of all the contents of this thread and secondly do some further research on some of the other subjects you cover which contain no new sources and are pretty much paraphrased from other peoples work.

I have no wish at all to offend you but we have been at this for some time now and pretty much do know what we need to know of what is available. Of course we would like to know more but I regret that your site is not going to provide this.

[edit on 27/2/2010 by PuterMan]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
man how many large quakes happened? Sumatra, China , Now Chili? it is a matter of time before the pacific plate has to gives.

I see a domino effect occurring,may be I am wrong, but if this continues and the Yellowstone goes.. One won't need to worry about the economy. They say that if our Pacific plate releases its energy, Japan will be getting a not so friendly "wave".
I am also thinking of something else.

All that Melt, with that sliding Chile, that has to got to add to the magma in general. doesn't that add to Yellowstone's chamber as well?

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by shutterbugw

Japan just got a wave of 5.3 BTW.

To be honest I am not sure about this and Yellowstone. I don't think that Chile will directly affect the Park. What remains to be seen, as Mike has been at pains to point out, is whether the JDF plate is affected. Now something popping off there could definitely have an effect upon Yellowstone.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Please make me a map of Hudson Bay and I'll never ask you another thing and won't mention the map after you post it.

There was a curious super micro event on YPP. It started a few minutes before perigee and ended a few moments afterward. Just very curious. Another curious note, the moon would have been on desent over Chile.

Dear Roald, I've been thinking about whether or not the moon would be closer with a thinner atmosphere. I don't think so because it always wants to escape earth's gravity and since it's quite far from our atmosphere it wouldn't be a factor. But I have to say that it's interesting that the atmosphere is thinner. I should kick myself in the ass because I heard an interview with a NASA scientist who said something did happen to atmosphere and that's part of the reason we've had a cooling trend. I meant to follow it but forget. It had nothing to do with ozone. But I think she said part of the atmosphere froze- damn I can't remember and can't find the info. But if the atmosphere is thinner, it exerts less downward forces, which would allow for mor bulging up the tides. And by extension, groundwater would be more able to flow through fissures is the whole system has less downward pressure. So the moon would be stronger, the pressure on the earth would be less and allow for a greater effect.

El Nino has probably dumped a lot of water along the mountains of South America. Lots of lubrication. It has rained in California. It has rained all up and down the whole Pacific Norwest including Vancouver. The Juan De Fuca had already been lively lately, this shivers up the back bone are unnerving to say the least. Yellowstone is missing the precipitation and has had average to below average snowpack.

Please Puterman, make me a map. Do the crop circles in the Bay.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

OK Robin, I will, but it will have to be tomorrow now as it is 02:20 here and I have been watching the Chile quake for 15 hours non stop - so I am away to my bed.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
To those of you that may be in Japan or Russia - Tsunami Warning just issued.

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Yes it was a massive quake. A megathrust. Not too many of them everyday.

I'm not sure if it was official but the last swarm has now been labelled the second largest swarm after 1985. I predicted the second largest swarm in Yellowstone's history. And although it means very little and no prize, I'm the only one on the planet to do so.

Thank you. If you get interested in the geography of Canada, you can make a second map and you'll see that Manicougan and the arc in the Gulf of St Lawerence are in alignment as well.

Very interesting 24 hours. The Ring of Fire is a hell of a thing. And to think South American had been quiet for so very long. On the quake map there was a void along the Andeas and the area north of California up into Canada. Oh how I wanted to shut up. But my world is rocking.

www.denverpost.com...

[edit on 27-2-2010 by Robin Marks]

posted on Feb, 27 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I did not mean that the moon was closer to the earth due to the cooling of the thermosphere, but that the cooling have made the atmosphere layer more dense, and by that, maybe a bit heavier on the earths surface. I was just thinking that the gravitation from from the moon then would have an even stronger tidal effect.

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
To be honest I am not sure about this and Yellowstone. I don't think that Chile will directly affect the Park. What remains to be seen, as Mike has been at pains to point out, is whether the JDF plate is affected. Now something popping off there could definitely have an effect upon Yellowstone.

I don't know how you could possibly think that the 8.8 Chile quake did not affect the park. That quake affected just about the entire planet.

1) I sat there and watched in GEE as those waves came in to Yellowstone, and they literally drove every station that could handle it into the MILLIMETERS per second. Something which I have never seen in all my time watching these swarms that occur IN THE PARK ITSELF. And not only that, they did so FOR A VERY LONG TIME, like nearly two hours, as these powerful waves circled the earth over and over again.

The rough breakdown of the intensity and duration of these waves was as follows:

1rst half hour after the quake at H17A- you know, at the Lake:
into the MM/s, solid and stayed there

2nd half hour
800+ microns/sec, solid and stayed there

3rd half hour
600+ microns/sec, solid and stayed there

4th half hour
400+microns/sec, solid and stayed there

It took nearly four hours after this quake for the stations at Yellowstone to return to anything close to normal!

2) These waves from the 8.8 were so strong they saturated out many of the short period stations, which you will see if you look at the webicorders. They couldn't even handle it.

3) For comparisons sake, even the largest quakes of ANY of the swarms we've had at Yellowstone would only push H17A into roughly 300- 400 microns/sec.

4) And finally, Yellowstone has now resumed activity again, after it had settled down to near nothing. And not only that, but I have been getting a new kind of low level quake activity there. Signatures that are definitely quakes (they show up across the park), but different looking than anything else we've seen as normally related to the local swarms. They could be teleseisisms, not sure, but those generally look different, and these don't. They appear local.

Conclusion:
Given all this, I could not possibly see how this monster quake in Chile did not have SOME effect on the park, which may yet remain to be seen.

[edit on Sun Feb 28th 2010 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
TrueAmerican, I definitely do agree with you. This quake have to affect YS. I was posting that earlier. What I think many believe is, that we would get an immediately reaction at YS. I do not think so, it would take some time, but I do think that the M8.8 seismic waves, radiating from the earthquake rupture are shaking the plume beneath YS, but because of the time it takes for pressure to build up inside a volcano and for magma to move towards the surface, then nothing might occur until some months after the earthquake.

What would happen next depend on what the shaking do to the "plume". Let us not forget that we are talking about a restless living-breathing-shaking caldera.

We might even see volcanic surge in the volcanoes close to the quake.

Edited to Everyone else:
I just want to make it clear that I do look at the M6.3 quake 15 miles north of the city of Salta, Argentina as a separate event, and not an aftershock of the massive M8.8 quake that struck Chile. And I'm still wondering if we are going to have a chain effect. Quakes moving up north.

[edit on 28/2/2010 by Roald]

posted on Feb, 28 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Funny how two strangers on this board have so much in common. Obviously we live in the same 100 mile radius, I also have friends vacationing on the Cali coastline and have lots of family that live in Montana! (Missoula)

I was in Yakima as a child for the St. Helens erruption, was here in Skagit County for (6.7)? quake what, about ten years ago? I was in California for a 6.5 quake about 15 years ago so I have a lot of respect for mother nature and her raw, awsome powers. We are completely at her mercy.

Everyone is so caught up in politics and nuclear threats, while failing to remember that we ALL can be wiped out by any number of natural disasters and there isn't a THING we can do anout it except educate ourselves so we can possibly have enough warning to be prepared enough to survive.

I am not saying that I think the earth as we know it is coming to an end anytime soon....just that if we all kept the bigger picture in mind, I think there would be a lot less social/political strife.

new topics

top topics

<< 578  579  580    582  583  584 >>

join