It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart is in the news again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 11:08 AM
link   
800,000 cards overcharged at Wal-Marts

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A computer hardware glitch at First Data Corporation resulted in more than 800,000 Mastercard and Visa transactions being double- or triple-billed last week at Wal-Mart stores around the nation.

www.cnn.com... html

First Data spokeswoman Staci Busby said Sunday the excess charges, which occurred on March 31 and were posted April 1, had been reversed. "First Data corrected the problem as soon as we discovered it," Busby said.

Busby said the problem showed up on reports the company regularly generates for quality control purposes. She was unable to say how many customers were affected, but did say Wal-Mart was the only retailer involved.

Thompson said Wal-Mart cashiers have been told about the mix up and that signs in the stores point customers to First Data's toll-free number -- 888-893-0626.

Hmmm, a glitch in the software. Wal-Mart is innocent it wasn't thier fault, right ?

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Wal-Mart is also in the news for some agressive (scary) tactics it is using to put a complex on a 60 acre plot of land in Inglewood, California.

www.nytimes.com...

Inglewood voters go to the polls on Tuesday to decide whether to turn over 60 acres of barren concrete adjacent to the Hollywood Park racetrack to Wal-Mart to create a megastore and a collection of chain shops and restaurants.

While Wal-Mart has turned to the ballot in a number of cities and towns to win the right to build its giant emporiums, the Inglewood initiative is significantly different. The proposal would essentially exempt Wal-Mart from all of Inglewood's planning, zoning and environmental regulations, creating a city-within-a-city subject only to its own rules.

Apparently they plan on bypassing all the laws in CA, and becoming a sort of soverign entity... I don't really like the sound of that.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
Apparently they plan on bypassing all the laws in CA, and becoming a sort of soverign entity... I don't really like the sound of that.

Ironically, at the same time, California is doing the same in the US...

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
JJ, this is true... I wasn't even thinking about that when I wrote the reply, but you're right. I still don't agree with what Wal-Mart is trying to do, because like the article says if they succeed there'll be no limits on what they can do in the future.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Just another example of corporate bullying, its not only Walmart doing this either, Microsoft is another good example. How are new companies supposed to compete in such a corrupt environment? Now innovative projects are crushed by monopoly owning companies. Its sad actually.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:12 PM
link   
This is simply more evidence that the US is moving from being a democratic republic to becoming a corporate republic. If this pans out, it may be the first step.

On a side note: I don't think it will be like the corporate republic in Robocop. It made good watching, but just wasn't very realistic.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   
do you think for the short amount of time they could have made some money with a quick investment?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cardsharp
do you think for the short amount of time they could have made some money with a quick investment?

nah, according to the article it was the software company's fault, not actually wal-mart.

hmmm unless they were in on it together

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I hate Wal-Mart. They dont give IOUs to locals. Needless to say I got a life time ban at my local wal-mart.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
I hate Wal-Mart. They dont give IOUs to locals. Needless to say I got a life time ban at my local wal-mart.

What... IOU to local ?

Oh yeah, how did you manage to get banned ?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Just a drunken shopping adventure when I falied to bring a check cashin card. They freaked over a $3 bag of pistachios that was on clearence sale.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I read this story on Drudge when it first came out.

Read the story very carefully. Look what it said before they started targetting Wal-Mart specifically.

DENVER - A computer hardware problem caused more than 800,000 credit and debit card transactions to be double- or triple-billed last week at stores nationwide, including Wal-Mart, officials said.

Busby was unable to say how many customers were affected by the 800,000 transaction errors, but said they involved retailers including Wal-Mart.

They mention "including Wal-Mart" several times, indicating the problem was not limited to this chain. Why did the news pick up the spin attack on Wal-Mart?
I don't agree with their selling practices, but for the media to target them unfairly is just bad reporting.

news.yahoo.com.../ap/20040404/ap_on_re_us/customers_overbilled_4

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
why would the nwo need more money when it supposedly controls all the money through circulation /banking?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
A computer glitch caused a billing problem that was found and corrected.

And from this you conclude that Wal-Mart was gulty or involved or needed a short-term-loan?

You must be kidding, right?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Come on guys, ATS posts are generally excellent. Is there a full moon out or something?

First, the original post said it was First Data that screwed up, not Wal Mart. It's interesting that they keep getting mentioned - Wal Mart's attorneys should consider a libel lawsuit against some news organizations.

Second, Inglewood. I live near there. Their city council appears in the local news frequently (google "inglewood city council indictments" if you have plenty of reading time). Wal Mart applied last year for the permit, but the city council rejected them. The complex will bring 1200 jobs and $5M+ in annual sales taxes to an impoverished city, but the unions were against it (big surprise).

Now it's up to the people (as in 'democracy'). The voters are bypassing a questionable city council to get a store where they can buy their goods at a lower price. So what's the problem here?

(note to self: go to Wal Mart and buy a new set of asbestos underwear, quickly!)

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
California voters say 'no' to Wal-Mart

INGLEWOOD, California (AP) -- Voters in this Los Angeles suburb rejected a ballot measure Tuesday that would have allowed Wal-Mart to build a warehouse-sized store while skirting zoning, traffic and environmental reviews.

With 25 of 29 precincts reporting, Inglewood voters opposed the initiative, with 65.7 percent voting "no" and 34.2 percent voting "yes," said Gabby Contreras of the city clerk's office.

That amounts to 4,419 votes against the initiative and 2,305 in favor.

www.cnn.com... ml

Wal-Mart has argued in Inglewood and elsewhere in California that its stores create jobs and said residents should be able to decide for themselves if they want the stores in their community.

But opponents say the Supercenters amount to low-wage, low-benefit job mills that displace better-paying jobs as independent retailers are driven out of business. They also fear the stores will contribute to suburban sprawl and jammed roadways.

AHHHH, those opposed to the wal-mart way of life wins one... hooooray !

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Wal-Mart to expand in California

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Wal-Mart officials said they are pressing ahead with plans to open 40 stores in California in the next four to six years, despite a string of setbacks.

The world's largest company spent more than $1 million trying to persuade residents in the Los Angeles suburb of Inglewood to approve a Tuesday ballot initiative clearing the way for a jumbo-size store. But residents rejected the initiative by a 3-2 margin.

www.cnn.com...

Despite that and other stumbles, the Bentonville, Arkansas-based company is undeterred in its California expansion plans, said Bob McAdam, vice president for corporate affairs.

"We've got a lot of things going on in the state. Inglewood was not our only interest," he said.

They just don't give up do they, Inglewood not the only interest... I wonder how many more towns will reject the building of a store ?

posted on Apr, 9 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
That is pretty much the same as overcharging people on their cell phone minutes. Only refunding those that found out they were overcharged. Shaving hours off employees paychecks...ect

new topics

top topics

join