It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else get a message from the Raelians?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Last week I received a MySpace message from someone in Germany named 'Antonio'. It was just a link to Rael . org, but what has me a little confused is... Why?

My MySpace has what I'd consider an insignificant amount of 'related' imagery - so I don't think it's because he arbitrarily stumbled across my page. I do have David Icke listed as one of my 'heroes' (not because I "believe" everything he says, I just think the man is an enigma), but that is a reach too, I think.

I do have a link to my MySpace page here in my ATS profile, which seems the most likely connection. Not that I've ever discussed the Raelians here per se, but that's why I'm asking... Has anyone else here gotten anything like this?

I haven't responded, and I don't get very many unsolicited messages so I really don't mind. I'm respectful of peoples beliefs and faiths and I like exchanging ideas - even with folks that are "out there", but I did think it was odd that I got this person's attention in the first place.

Any ideas?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Teratoma

sounds like a random recruitment attempt to me.

i think these people are desperate to find members and they probably look for anyone that they can spread their message. i don't have a myspace page but i was thinking about creating one. after reading what happened to you ..i am not sure i want to now

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I thought that at first too, but if he sent out enough of those, they'd likely be reported as 'spam', and his account would be closed - which it hasn't.

I have two MySpace pages; a personal one and one for my band. I only use the personal one for folks I actually know, or interact with outside of MySpace. The band site has over a thousand 'friends', and thus gets much more traffic. I get spam from labels and promotion companies all the time there.

My personal page almost never gets any kind of unsolicited mail, so to receive a message that closely related to my interests (disclaimer: joining a cult is not one of my interests) is strange, to say the least, and I'm reluctant to dismiss it as coincidence.

And since my page is mostly void of evidence of these interests, I'm trying to figure out how he knew that I had any interest in such topics.

It doesn't seem like the Raelians would employ 'random' spamming on MySpace when it's so easy to have your account deleted that way. His page didn't look like a generic 'recruiting' page, it looked like a personal page by someone who happened to be a member of the Raelians. Of course I realize that may have been done deliberately, but I think it's more likely that they perused the members section here at ATS looking for profiles with links to other social networking sites. People found here would be less likely to mark such a message as spam, I think.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

well you might be correct in thinking he targeted you from ATS because some of your threads might imply things they are looking for when trying to network themselves and their agenda.

all i can say is...if they offer you some cool aid..don't drink it

edit to add that your not the first one to mention this on ATS, i remember someone else started a thread asking the same thing you are.

hope that helps

[edit on 10-12-2008 by easynow]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

I tried using the search feature first, several times using several relevant keywords and got zilch.

I'm also a little annoyed that this got moved from 'Aliens & UFOs' to 'general conspiracy'. I posted it in 'Aliens & UFOs' because the Raelians are a UFO cult. I had considered posting it in the 'Secret Societies' section, but I fail to see how this equates to "conspiracy".

And although I appreciate your kool-aid joke, I was avoiding making that kind of reference in case 'Antonio' turned out to be someone from here who's input and opinions I respect.

Anyhow, I can't even find this thread anywhere but my 'subscribed' threads, so it's unlikely I'll find out anything this way.

I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and ask 'Antonio' myself.

...For the curious, the Raelians are the ones who created controversy by using a logo that is a six-pointed star with a swastika in the center, and by claiming to have successfully cloned a human. They are also proponents of 'free love', but are vehemently opposed to smoking, caffeine and drugs. Many of their female members are involved in adult entertainment or blatant prostitution.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Addendum:

Ok, I've never noticed this before, but at the top of each thread it shows the name of the forum it's from, but right under the description of that forum it says,

"This thread is in the conspiracy forum group."

As opposed to what? Therein lies my confusion.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

just above that it says Aliens /UFO forum so your thread has not been moved.

hope that helps and good luck

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by easynow

Yup, see 'addendum' above, probably posted at the same time

So my question is, are there other 'forum groups' besides the 'conspiracy forum group? Why does it say that up there?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
There's a feature on mySpace that allows you to search for people that share common friends. All someone has to do is make friends with all the usual suspects like Icke, Hoagland, Romanek... and so on and then do a search for people with friends in common.

That will give your Raelian buddy a nice recruitment list!

Even if it was someone from here who's opinion you respected, would you still respect him/her after they've tried to recruit you into one of the tackiest UFO Cults of all time? These people like to spread their rancid, brainwashed beliefs like a cancer. They don't really care about 'you'. Who gives a rat's ass if you insult him/her or hurt their feelings? I certainly wouldn't!

Stop pussy footing and give them the heave-ho!

IRM

[edit on 11/12/08 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
There's a feature on mySpace that allows you to search for people that share common friends.

As I stated before, I only use that account for contact with people I actually know, or interact with outside of MySpace. The only exception being Ron Paul. No Icke, Hoagland et al.

Even if it was someone from here who's opinion you respected, would you still respect him/her after they've tried to recruit you into one of the tackiest UFO Cults of all time? These people like to spread their rancid, brainwashed beliefs like a cancer. They don't really care about 'you'. Who gives a rat's ass if you insult him/her or hurt their feelings? I certainly wouldn't!

If merely sending someone a link to a website is a recruitment attempt, I think I can handle it. Their site didn't tell me anything I didn't know about them already through my own research.

Stop pussy footing and give them the heave-ho!

While I appreciate your input, I don't recall asking for advice on what do do. If you're familiar at all with my posting habits you'll see that "pussy footing" is not something I do for anyone. I am gracious until provoked, then I become a total and complete bastard. And I would prefer to not have this thread turn into an example.

Having been raised in a faith that I never wanted any part of, I am no stranger to the brainwashed and rancid. Still, I have learned to avoid knee-jerk, hate/fear based reactions to things I disagree with.

The guy is not a "friend" of mine on MySpace, so there's no heave-ho-ing to do. I would, however, like to figure out how or why he chose to send me the message in the first place (without having to ask him), thus the reason for this thread.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

In fact I've never seen you before Teratoma. I don't give a rats a$$ if you asked for advice at all. Was only trying to help but obviously you've proven with your reply that you're not worth my time. Why bother posting the story if it's under control. Talk about a drama queen! Don't worry, I'll avoid your threads like the plague from now on!

IRM

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Ok, perhaps I overreacted, but accusing someone of "pussy-footing" implies that they don't have the balls to say what they want to say. That is certainly not the case here, and I can't imagine that kind of thing going over well with anyone. Think about it, it's like calling someone a "pussy".

If someone tries to recruit me into anything, my level of respect for them is going to be based on how they react when I politely decline. I can discuss a person's beliefs with them without fear of being assimilated.

IRM, I am pretty sure we agree on more things than disagree, and judging by your reaction to my reaction, it looks like we both have the capacity to be a couple of "drama queens". So let me apologize for being rude, and let's clink our virtual glasses of egg-nog (or some other symbol of good will) and hope that if we ever have a disagreement again, it's over something of more substance.

[edit on 12/12/2008 by Teratoma]

new topics

top topics

join