It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US successfully tests anti-missile shield: Pentagon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   

US successfully tests anti-missile shield: Pentagon

rawstory.com

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The US military on Friday successfully intercepted a long-range missile target in a "very realistic" simulated attack to test the proposed US missile defense system, the Defense Department said.

"We had a successful intercept" at 3:29 pm (2029 GMT), Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said of the test, which is seen as a crucial step towards a controversial anti-missile shield Washington plans to base in Eastern Europe.

The Bush administration wants to install a radar facility in the Czech Republic and 10 interceptor missiles in neighboring Poland by 2014.

Friday's effort was the eighth successful intercept out of the 13 tests conducted since 1999, with the last successful test taking place in September 2007.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
So this thing actually works
. I always wondered if this would really be effective agains nukes...i mean sure maybe the nuke won't hit the ground..but even going off into the air can cause a lot of damage to the envirnment...not to mention if there are several of them goin off in a matter of weeks .

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Sounds like they want to block all Russian launches as soon as they leave Russian air-space me thinks, effectively shelling-in Russia's ability to retaliate from anything in-coming.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:25 AM
link   
There will be only ten of these anti-missile missiles in Poland. They are useless for anything else but a limited strike, such as a few missiles. The shield cannot stop sea launch ballistic missiles.

[edit on 6/12/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Just imagine if that little exercise went 'live' in some sort of false flag Op!!

I know you can pretty much wave the false flag... flag at pretty much anything, but the connotations of that particular one would be uber serious.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

That's something I have brought up before on this topic. Also, these tests are against a single missile. What about a salvo fire and multiple launches carrying multiple warheads? There is no way the system can catch them all so what's point, apart from throwing a lot of money into the pockets of the military contractors?

Silly me!
I keep forgetting this system is there to protect us from Iranian missile attacks.

And finally... these anti-missile bases would of course be the first things targeted by conventional air or ground attacks prior to a missile launch, to take them out of commission.

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Britguy]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
There will be only ten of these anti-missile missiles in Poland. They are useless for anything else but a limited strike, such as a few missiles. The shield cannot stop sea launch ballistic missiles.

Yea i also believe that is the case...but again we have no idea how many of those missles they really put over there :@@ I think saying 10 is just a pretext not anger Russia even more than it is

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

Yea i also believe that is the case...but again we have no idea how many of those missles they really put over there :@@ I think saying 10 is just a pretext not anger Russia even more than it is

top topics

join