It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SWAT Team conducts food raid in rural Ohio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Is this for real? I don't live in the US but I saw this on the GLP site and was shocked. Most of the comments seem to believe this is true but it still seems so unbelievable so I'm not sure what to think.

Here's the link to the original article.

On Monday, December 1, a SWAT team with semi-automatic rifles entered the private home of the Stowers family in LaGrange, Ohio, herded the family onto the couches in the living room, and kept guns trained on parents, children, infants and toddlers, from approximately 11 AM to 8 PM. The team was aggressive and belligerent. The children were quite traumatized. At some point, the “bad cop” SWAT team was relieved by another team, a “good cop” team that tried to befriend the family. The Stowers family has run a very large, well-known food cooperative called Manna Storehouse on the western side of the greater Cleveland area for many years. There were agents from the Department of Agriculture present, one of them identified as Bill Lesho.........

Does anyone else have any information about this?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I caught that over on GLP as well, but something about this story just doesn't add up......

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by RolandBrichter

What would that something be? I would be interested to know because I don't hear anything out of the US media that ever adds up. Please point out the gaps to me. Thanks in advance.

This looks just like the other stuff that goes on in any situation concerning law enforcement, military action or any other control-oriented "security" agency. I mean, what's out of place here? You'll probably see more of this sort of thing shortly.

Personally, I think the whole thing is out of line. Nothing makes sense anymore.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
so it's illegal to sell food? is that what they're saying. if the amish are the biggest threat then that means 99.9999 of the food we eat is genetically altered?

this is mind blowing if true.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
reply to post by RolandBrichter

What would that something be? I would be interested to know because I don't hear anything out of the US media that ever adds up. Please point out the gaps to me. Thanks in advance.

This looks just like the other stuff that goes on in any situation concerning law enforcement, military action or any other control-oriented "security" agency. I mean, what's out of place here? You'll probably see more of this sort of thing shortly.

Personally, I think the whole thing is out of line. Nothing makes sense anymore.
would

I have no doubt that these kinds of things have happened and will happen with increased intensity in the near future....

I just can't seem to find any other sources for the story....something like this, if true, would certainly have cooberating evidence from other sources...

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
This is insanity if true. I would like to hear this reported from a respected third party source. Everyone needs to put the pressure on the Obama Administration to reign in the over zealous enforcement activities not to mention the corporate donor bias in the legislative branch. Please don't throw up your hands and give up the presious liberty we have left. Let's be a vigorus democracy again.

PS: govt will find themselves squeezed from the reduction in tax money. I would think this would be a great opportunity to roll back some of these costly programs.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
In other news:

A SWAT team with semi-automatic rifles entered the private home of the Miller family in Des Moines, Iowa, herded the family onto the couches in the living room, and kept guns trained on parents, children, infants and toddlers, from approximately 11 AM to 8 PM.
The Miller family has run a very large, well-known lemonade stand called 'Squeeze It' on the western side of the greater Des Moines area for many years.

There were agents from the Department of Agriculture present, one of them identified as Justa Notherfascist. The search warrant is reportedly supicious-looking. Agents began rifling through all of the family’s possessions and underwear drawers, a task that lasted hours and resulted in a complete upheaval of every private area in the home. Many items were taken that were not listed on the search warrant. The family was not permitted a phone call, and they were not told what crime they were being charged with. They were not read their rights. Over ten thousand dollars worth of food was taken, including the family’s personal stock of food for the coming year. All of their computers, and all of their cell phones were taken, as well as phone and contact records. The lemonade stand was virtually shut down. There was no rational explanation, nor justification, for this extreme violation of Constitutional rights.

Presumably 'Squeeze It' might eventually be charged with running a retail establishment without a license. Why then the Gestapo-type interrogation for a 3rd degree misdemeanor charge? This incident has raised the ominous specter of a restrictive new era in State regulation and enforcement over the nation’s private food supply.

Yes I'm being a wiseguy here and this is fake, but it goes a long way towards pointing out the ridiculous nature of what happened to these poor people.
Whats next 6 year old girls getting hassled for lemonade stands?
IF this is real it just makes me sick, when does it end? Church bake sales being raided by SWAT teams and the Department of Agriculture?

Exactly when did the entire world go clinically insane?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
if this crap is true, we must do what our forefather's did

oppress the tyranny by taking up arms and letting the corrupt know we will not go quietly,

i dont mean arm ourselves and go to war with police, i mean arm ourselves with lawyers and media, the true power

we need private groups who are able to take a stand against these "officials"

the everyday complaint system of our law enforcement agencies is preposterous and a complete joke that-that is all the american people can do when completely harassed in this manner

these types of threads are becoming way too common and these damn police are getting more and more brash by the day

if we as peers dont stand up for each other and make a outcry of public support when these things happen then all is lost and we will be overthrown from the inside

with as many problems as our nation faces, the biggest is the problem of corrupt law enforcement

when will we say enough is enough

i believe it was john adams who said something along the lines of

it is better 100 guilty men go free then 1 innocent man punished

yet now today with swat and all these agencies, you're guilty until proven innocent and all of your rights are stripped until you prove either your wealth, social and economic high standing or innocence

those are 3 things that should never be grouped together

its absoluty disheartening that within 5 minutes of casualy reviewing the news i find this story and the story of the woman and man who were cited for a traffic violation while she was in labour trying to get to the hospital

who the hell puts these people in positions of power??? and why the hell did we give them the power to do so when whoever these people are-are complete ignoramuses

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Manna Storehouse began 9 years ago as a small ordering group called the Stowers Co-op. At the beginning, it was run by John & Jackie Stowers and their 2 oldest boys, Chris & Chad. Eventually we expanded from 3 families to over 60 regular customers. Within the last 3 years, we have gone through a major transition time. We began ordering on a weekly basis, plus splitting cases for our customers and selling the left over items as retail. Thus, the Stowers Co-op became Manna Storehouse, creating what is now a non-working food cOne of the reasons we began Manna Storehouse was to make it as affordable and convenient as possible for people to eat healthy. It is our belief that food is best as God intended nature to produce; no antibiotics, growth hormones, chemicals, food dyes or other man-made additives. That is why we began searching out the best sources for all natural and organic food ourselves. We have been encouraged to find many farmers who are researching and working towards restoring their soil to the proper vitamin & mineral balance, therefore enhancing the nutritional value of the foods they produce.

In our searching, we have come in contact with farmers and families all across Ohio that produce beef, pork, eggs, milk, cheese, produce, poultry, grains, etc… When we talk with a potential supplier, we always go and visit with them to get a feel for who they are and what they do. This allows us to observe the surroundings in which they operate, so we know how their animals are being treated and fed, how their land is being maintained, and how their business is run. Doing this gives us an opportunity to establish and continue a relationship based on common goals and to share ideas and information on how to best reach these goals. All of the farmers we have relationships with have the same heart and mentality as we do about food; that it should be all natural, as God intended it to be. Plus, the majority of our suppliers are from Ohio! We love supporting local organic farmers and businesses as much as possible.

Manna Storehouse continues to be run by John & Jackie, their son Chad and his wife Katie, plus a lot of help from all of the younger children and grandchildren! Our building is in a continuous “state of change” as we work toward a goal of a retail store in front and a work/storage area in back. This will eventually allow us to make more contacts with individual distributors to store larger amounts and supply products at better prices. If you ever want to contact or visit us, please feel free to stop by anytime during our hours.
o-op.

This explains it. Food is highly regulated through the Government and to have individuals opening and maintaining their own food distribution wharehouses per se, is against the ability to control and maintain the food supply.

We will begin to see more of this type behavior in the near future.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Has there been any more reports on this situation? I wonder if they consider non corporate sales to be black market now?

Can't wait to hear more details.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   

It raises the disturbing possibility that it could become a crime to raise your own food, buy eggs from the farmer down the road, or butcher your own chickens for family and friends – bustling activities that routinely take place in backwater America.

There's the money line folks.

If this IS becoming more common we need to know so that laws like they are proposing can be denied.

The USDA just released their plans to put a law into action that will put all small farmers out of business. Animals for the sale of meat or milk will only be allowed in commercial farms, even the organic ones.

Everything we eat will come from the USDA - Under Strict Domestic Authority!

edit for ext quote

[edit on 6-12-2008 by Rollinster]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I live about 10 Miles from the area in question and I have not seen or heard about this incident. I have friends that live closer so I will ask them.

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I found this letter from the family that owns the Manna Storehouse.

Friday, December 5, 2008 Manna Storehouse family update Sent: Friday, December 05, 2008 11:29 AM Subject: appreciation & present situation Hi everyone. First of all, we would like to thank everyone for the phenomenal support and encouragement you have given us during this very difficult time for our family. We have been unbelievably overwhelmed with the outpouring of love and concern from many, many people. At this point, we still have not been charged with anything, so we are devoting most of our time to research. We are trying to prepare ourselves for what lies ahead. Many people have asked how they can help. Here are a few things that we are in need of. *Anyone who has any information or experience with the ODA or the Health Department - we would love to hear about it! We are trying to learn the ORC laws regarding these agencies, their administrative procedure, etc… We will gladly talk with anyone who has information, advice or experiences to share

jeffreyquick.wordpress.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

Nice find jibeho.

Pleasantly veiled request for "We need a lawyer."

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   
This story needs to get out there. Get some mainstream links.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
it's now on Prison Planet

new topics

top topics

join