It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Charles Quincy Troupe is in no way a St. Louis "leader" and the ward he is Alderman of is a pigsty. This area he represents is like a ghetto surrounded by industry and abandoned buildings. It's an area that you pray your vehicle doesn't break down in. It's the residents in the area that are the criminals. There are some good, and decent people in that area but for the most part it's just somewhere you don't want to be.
While I do think citizens being armed will help in some areas I don't see it helping in this one. The criminal element in that ward far outnumber the police and the good residents that want to change things.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Its a good thing our tax dollars are being put to good work and not wasted. God knows what we would do if the Police were underfunded and could not protect us...

[edit on 3-12-2008 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
To my friend across the pond....There is a town in the southwest of my great state of Oklahoma wherein it is illegal to NOT own a gun...

Oddly enough the crime rate is ZERO

No one commits a crime when you KNOW the person you are committing it against has a gun on them at all times.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by protected

I agree with pretty much every poster. Star for you OP! Great article.

EVERYONE should be arming themselves during these darker days. I am located in the mid-west and am hearing more and more stories of armed home break ins - store robberies - etc... it is getting more and more violent by the day.

i've noticed an uptick in robberies and home invasions as well, just in the past week and a half in my town we have all these.. !!

www.ksl.com...
www.ksl.com...
www.ksl.com...
www.ksl.com...
www.ksl.com...
www.ksl.com...
www.ksl.com...
www.ksl.com...
www.ksl.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This Alderman's statement imo is in response to drastic cuts/deficits in municipal budgets. I think bailing out the states will be next in line. Either that or we will see police departments, garbage collections, health inspections, the DMV all city/state departments being downsized or left with insufficient funds.

Here in Colorado El Paso county is dealing with a budget deficit. We have friends who own a tattoo shop. Our friend went to a meeting with county officials they were told the inspection of tattoo shops and I think piercing/manicure/pedicure shops were being considered for removal from county health inspection procedures due to budget constraints.
Many of the shop owners were outraged and felt this was a recipe for disaster.

Some owners stated they would voluntarily be inspected at whatever cost to ensure public safety and confidence. The point was made that some shops would not be able or willing to absorb the cost so instead it was suggested all shop owners "donate" $250.00 to the county to keep inspections going. Many were opposed to the idea of a forced "donation."

Last I heard the inspections are continuing for now.

With California going down I think many other states will begin to feel the strain of high unemployment, home foreclosures, declining tax revenues and business closures. In turn there will be a steadily increasing demand on services above and beyond state/local budget allocations.

Imo the repercussions of budget cut backs in law enforcement will be the one area that will be more obvious to the public. Budget cut backs in county health departments and other local government entities could be equally devastating to communities.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
MR LIZARD >>

Im an American and I will tell you that you will not find Americans taking charge... most of them are lazy (thus why on the net) and dont know how o make a difference in society. When Government took complete control he people forgot what control was and just succumbs to it but thats a lot like england too
Nobodys perfect but Americans dont really know what initiative to making a REAL difference is.

I've begun cleaning my rifles and shotgun (country folk) just in case. With the economy being so bad and Americans Morals being so bad I think the worse it gets the closer i will be pulled to protecting myself from ignorant and small minded people. I will give them a choice first of course but if I feel threatened they better hope I know how to use non lethal force

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Bravo to this politician! Did anyone ever stop to think that he said these things so it would get out to the people and the city would Have To do something? What better way to outrage the city into finding a solution. Very smart guy!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by PammyK

Thats what I thought too but i have lost a little faith in our politicians... its all money and greed for them. Good idea tho. I agree ... if its true.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Man I can't believe the Chief of Police stated that an armed public is not a less violent one.

Is he blind to the violence being brought not by owning guns but by the dive in the economy? What does he suggest then since he obviously is unable to perform his job with the staff he has?

What an imbecilic response.

Sorry, but once again must disagree with you.

First, people need to understand that the police are there to investigate crimes that have already occurred, not to stop them in the first place. Our laws (such as anti-profiling) effectively handcuff the police from preventing crime.

Last, study after study (including by the FBI) have shown that violent crime decreases when an area votes to allow concealed carry permits. For those who can't figure how that could be possible, the answer is simple. Criminals are cowards that like to prey on the weak and defenseless to minimize their own risks. So, if now they don't know how to tell if a potential victim has the means to defend themselves, they will move on to so-called "gun free zones" where their odds are much better. And so where are we seeing all the mass killings? Places where guns are banned (for law abiding citizens only), of course.

Check out this site ...

map

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by delta33

Well that is one politician that won't be back in office. Comments like that are stupid. As for the guy that posted a story about neighbors coming to the rescue, that is the exception. There are far more stories of children and family members getting shot with their own guns, or the guns getting stolen and killing someone else. People with guns is a recipe for disaster and shootouts in the grocery and on the road. That politician is just plain not thinking at all. He is just reacting and not weighing both sides of the problem. More problems with come from everyone being armed like it was in the old west. People should be intelligent and know that we should have come a long way since one hundred years ago. With everyone armed the police won't know who is the criminal and who isn't. Both sides would look the same and act the same.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by midnightbrigade
To my friend across the pond....There is a town in the southwest of my great state of Oklahoma wherein it is illegal to NOT own a gun...

Oddly enough the crime rate is ZERO

No one commits a crime when you KNOW the person you are committing it against has a gun on them at all times.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
IMO the media tends to sensationalize gun crimes, yet they don't talk about or dare mention the tens of millions of gun owners that don't commit any gun related crimes ever..or the lives that are saved and the crimes that are prevented by law abiding gun owners and law enforcement..We're talking about a fraction of a percentage point of gun owners committing gun related crimes. But it's always the negitive POV that makes the headlines not the good that comes from owning a gun and protecting yourself and family.

for example look at what happens when some wingnut desides to go onna shooting spree at some college campus. Why doesn't the media tell folks that the reason so many were gunned down is because the perp was the only one with a firearm in that 'gun free zone'? Chew on that for a minute.. You strip the right to protect one's self in one of these gun free environments and the criminals that don't abide by the law will have their way with ya..it's that simple..I mean what part of "..shall not be infringed" is so hard for some folks to get their head around?

"Know guns, know peace, know saftey. No guns, no peace, no saftey."

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I can see what they'll be saying next. "Police can't adequately respond to crimes so we need to have troops permanently situated in the city. " Or maybe they need civilian forces that Obama's proposing?

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Why does it have to be troops? Why can't John Q. Public be responsible for his or her own personal protection? YOU are responible for your own personal protection. The second amendment secures this right. Let's be clear on this.. if you expect the LEO or government to be your first line of defence then you could be putting yourself and family in serious peril.
when seconds count, a cop is only minutes away.

"a gun in hand is better than a cop on the phone everytime.."

Wake the f*ck up people.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join