It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   

St. Louis City Leader Says Police Ineffective, Tells Residents to Get Armed

www.foxnews.com

ST. LOUIS — A St. Louis city leader frustrated with the police response to rising crime called Tuesday on residents to arm themselves to protect their lives and property.

Alderman Charles Quincy Troupe said police are ineffective, outnumbered or don't care about the increase in crime in his north St. Louis ward. St. Louis has had 157 homicides in 2008, 33 more than last year at this time.

"The community has to be ready to defend itself, because it's clear the economy is going to get worse, and criminals are getting more bold," Troupe, 72, said Tuesday.

Troupe said that when he and residents approached a district police commander last year, they were told "there was nothing he could do to protect us and the community ... that he didn't have the manpower."

Police did not immediately return requests for comment. Chief Dan Isom told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch he understands Troupe's frustration but doesn't support citizens arming themselves.

Carrying guns, he said, is not a "recipe for a less violent community."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
At least we have some leaders with some common since.

I would sugest everybody arm themselves all across america .

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

====
Mod Edit: string of 'x' chars skewing page removed. Please use [more] as a divider.

[edit on 12/5/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by delta33

Way ahead of ya there, chief!
The only people I know who haven't armed-up yet, are the ones who believe everthing on that aweful television, and still actually trust the war-criminal gov to save them, guide them, provide for them, and always be thinking about thier best interest...

Yeaaahh, right! and Kermit the Frog is real!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Just saw this on the news. Nothing wrong with what he said. In fact, it's nice to see a politician speaking up on behalf of the people.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
It is "common SENSE"...not "since".

I have to agree tho...its rare to hear an official in support for what is already our right to begin with. Most want to take it away, which wont do any good (here is where "since" works)...since criminals get their guns regardless of what law is on the books.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FRIGHTENER
reply to post by delta33

Yeaaahh, right! and Kermit the Frog is real!

Kermit the Frog is real, but much like our government and media he has a hand up his ass controlling what he says

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Man I can't believe the Chief of Police stated that an armed public is not a less violent one.

Is he blind to the violence being brought not by owning guns but by the dive in the economy? What does he suggest then since he obviously is unable to perform his job with the staff he has?

What an imbecilic response.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
What's this?

Americans lusting for guns and violence....

How original.

MAYBE, just MAYBE you'd be better tackling the cause of the problem in the first place.... you know, wondering why you have so many psycho's and criminals in the first place.

But that wouldn't be as fun as executing people with your shot gun would it?

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Along the same lines:

NEW HAVEN — Eight hours after finding himself in the middle of a late-night robbery and gun battle in front of his business, Dexter Jones was back in his barbershop on Dixwell Avenue Tuesday greeting customers.

His neighbors, Garfield and Desmond Mills, who run Wing Madness next door, saw what was happening, drew their own guns and ended up in a shootout with the robbers.

“If it wasn’t for them, I think I would have lost my life last night,” Jones said.

nhregister.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
A neighboring community of mine just laid off 5 police officers and 5 firefighters due to budget deficits. It is not a violent town but it does contain a very large mall and shopping complex that attracts deviants like a magnet. This area will certainly feel the pinch without those officers on the beat. I just hope it doesn't get ugly. If so, I will certainly carry when I go into the shopping area.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
since criminals get their guns regardless of what law is on the books.
Cheers!!!!

Hit the nail on the head there!!! gun laws only prevent law abiding citizens from geting guns
and the funny thing is most people think taking away our guns is a good thing well sorry its not.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Any citizen who takes up arms to protect themself is tackling the problem in the most efficient way known. Not much recividism among criminals who have been shot dead between the eyes. In fact, last I saw, the repeat offender rate among such trash was, um... I believe zero percent. I'll try to find a source that backs that number up if you'd like.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
If only other politicians would follow his lead.

Just count how many police officers are in your city and ask yourself if that is enough cops to protect everyone from crime?

That would be one big Hell NO.

Getting a gun to protect oneself is wise in my book.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
What's this?

Americans lusting for guns and violence....

How original.

MAYBE, just MAYBE you'd be better tackling the cause of the problem in the first place.... you know, wondering why you have so many psycho's and criminals in the first place.

But that wouldn't be as fun as executing people with your shot gun would it?

whatever...
I guarantee that if Mumbai had concealed carry permits, there would have been a lot less "violence"

[edit on 3-12-2008 by RolandBrichter]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I understand that you have quite the knife problem in the UK. A knife crime is very bloody and personal in nature. It takes a special kind of "psycho" to knife someone. Could this be considered a lust for blood and violence also? I suppose you should study the root cause of such bitter violence in the UK. Don't try to take away the knives because you can make a stabbing device from just about anything. Ask a prison guard.

news.bbc.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.insight-security.com...
www.timesonline.co.uk...
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I read a fascinating article in the Independent a couple of weeks ago. It discussed the likelihood of the city of New York returning to the violence and lawlessness of the 1970's.

It pointed out that the current financial crisis was dramatically increasing the budget cuts, the "Police Academy" (I don't think that was the right term used but in effect that's what it is) was one oft the first victims. This would mean that as officers retire, are injured, or leave the service there is no one left to replace them. In just a few years the standards of Policing in the city would be lower than ever seen previously, the number of officers on duty would be greatly insufficient and their ability to do the job would be further impacted by poor moral and loss of adequate leadership.

The ultimate point of the article was that New York was facing a massive decline in public services, just as crime rates are set to increase dramatically as a result of the financial difficulties. Unemployment would rise in that area because of the financial institutions there shrinking and laying off staff, and that this would in turn affect the local economy driving facilities further down.

This is likely to happen on a similar scale in every major city. And it is likely this decline will not be limited to America.

As has been the case in recent months, America seems to be the benchmark for what happens as a result of the financial crisis. So I would guess it'll happen there first before spreading to Europe.
If I was there, I would be buying a gun (I'm surprised I state that, as I have always been anti) because that will be one of the first rights denied as things become increasingly difficult.
And I would be looking at how I could escape the highly populated areas when I need to.

I'd carry on as normal until something happened that was a clear sign to leave, and then I'd be out of there and into the country to find a smaller community able to work together to defend themselves.

Of course, all of this may be solved if the financial systems become stable. But as I read about the credit card companies restricting and withdrawing services, and the increasing unemployment, I cannot believe right now that this is probable.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by delta33

No, Im sure the chief in his great wisdom is correct. Why should we enable law abiding citizens the right to defend themselves? We should simply raise taxes higher so he has more cops at his disposal, then we would all be safe. Only the government can protect us all. (sarcasm)

Finally, one elected city leader thinks arming people is the way to go. Now hopefully others will jump on his bandwagon and we can beat back the Bloomberg lunatics out there.

As for the poster who says we should look at what is prompting people to rob and steal in the first place. There has always been crime, always. Someone in history has tried to take what is not rightfully theres from good law-abiding people. Be in the US, the UK, ancient rome, whatever. The fact you and the all knowing sheriff mentioned in the article think that having more cops or simply wishing that evil doesnt exist is simply making yourselves victims. I for one will not be that victim. An armed populace is a civil populace.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
This is unacceptable. The peasants should not be encouraged to arm themselves! We shall have to carry out another "shooting" to increase gun fear. As a matter of fact, all sharp object will hereafter be banned to decrease stabbings and potential public hazards which includes, but not limited to: knives, forks, and rulers.

This is to ensure public safety and the future of our children (Note: Always refer to the children).

Any citizen showing the slightest ability to defend himself will be detained until further notice.

I'm Martial Law and I approve this message.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Reminds me of the ICE CUBE "My Summer Vacation" that tells of O'Shea Jackson's lively summer vacation in St. Louis...

ru.youtube.com...

The lyrics:

www.musicsonglyrics.com...

"bustin' a cap is fundamental..."

[edit on 3-12-2008 by pluckynoonez]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I agree with pretty much every poster. Star for you OP! Great article.

EVERYONE should be arming themselves during these darker days. I am located in the mid-west and am hearing more and more stories of armed home break ins - store robberies - etc... it is getting more and more violent by the day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join