It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the reason I fear the God of the bible: science

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by GRANDWORLDDRAMA

gambling man? he laid his bet .. i bet he got better odds then you did

there are ain infinate number of possible gods that could exist and could be the creator

the chance you picked the right one book or no book are exactly

1:infinity

thast a bet im not dumb enough to take

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
reply to post by meadowfairy

They portrayed themselves in the movies?

I wasn't aware that they had movies back then

Anyways, The Bible is followed to the letter by most Christians, and the way they behave towards non-Christians is just as bad as the way Muslims treat non-Muslims.

All Religious books are bad & should be burnt.

Just because a man dose not follow a book, dose not mean he is a bad person, yet to a Christian, this dose mean he is a bad person. No matter how many people he helps in his life, no matter how many lives he saves, no matter how pure a life he leads, if he dose not carry the gospel, he will go to hell.

If he dose not bow before God in a christian church & go to confession, if he dose not give money to the collection plate, if he dose not sing versus, if he dose not Hail Mary...

He is evil and will burn.

Even if he is the most compassionate, caring loving man in the world. If he is not of the Roman Catholic Church, he is of the Devil. A man who believes in righteousness & justice and in a higher power in his own way, who worships with his deeds instead of bowing to his knees to pray & waste time that can be spent better helping people, is fit only for the fires of hell.

This is why I fear the god of the Bible!! This is why I fear the people who worship the bible.

[edit on 11/30/2008 by Ironclad]

LOL i didnt word that good did i. When i was a kid i used to think all those black and white movies with peope who were acting as goody too shoes were really good back then. I trully thought thats how people used to be but then i grew up lol. So i apply to the same reasoning to those from biblical times they werent good too shoes either.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by moonrat
The guy described in the bible as God is nothing more than a murdering psychopath.

thats no way to talk about your father

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by adamclement

it is if thats what he is

you forgot infanticidal and biggated too

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

Good point mate....! Another example is in Genisis god told the people to avoid eating pork and certain shellfish inc praws, It is only now we realise these shell fish, prawns will clean a tank of water infected with most human diseases and basically clean & sterilise it. The toxins or disease of course is stored in their tiny bodies. To put it in blunt terms they are basically little crap filters! The same with pork... pigs eat dead stuff and decaying rotting matter & faeces of other animals, science has also discovered Pigs liver & kidneys are not very efficient so much of the toxins ends up in that tasty meat!! The jews and arabs have not ate it anyway for 1000s years... but only recently we realise God knew it was a bad idea 6000 years ago. well I guess he made the pigs & the shellfish too!
Graeme Scotland!

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

You want scientific foreknowledge? Ok then,how about this. Anyone who honestly believes there is a single magical being that created everything in 7 relative days and focuses it's attention on what 6 billion people are doing with the knowledge of everything already there. Anyone who believes that is delusional and more then likely schizophrenic, as anyone who thinks they hear a god talking to them and ordering them around is suffering the symptoms of schizophrenia. That is scientific.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Science proves god to be an impossiblity. You must learn to be able to create, you must have an environment to learn. Therefore a creator cannot be without an environment, which would make your god, just another being which learned like you. You think this animal mutilating bunch of murderous rapists was created intentionally? Ha you're a joke. Anyways if you believe the bible you believe the earth is flat and that we're the center of the universe(dispoven FYI). Also something intelligent wouldn't be soo full of modifications and hypocrisies, you believe in god giving free will and god creating everything you do. Hows that possible? It's a fairytale.

Get Real

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
reply to post by moonrat

Thank you for participating in this thread with the maximum your intelligence allows.
I'm sure those who share your IQ will star you in droves. Feel free to return and contribute something that is actually on topic if you are capable.

reply to post by reject

Scientific foreknowledge found within the Bible is a fascinating subject. Most examples can be found within the Torah while numerous other examples are found throughout The Writings. Medical, sanitary, scientific, etc. Several books have been written on the subject and it's probably my favorite area of apologetics to study, second only to prophecy.

[edit on 11/28/2008 by AshleyD]

Good post AshleyD. Yep if I recall correctly the Bible is the greatest story ever told. Going on two thousand years old and still the best seller of all time.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by noobfun

Hi All,

I've been visiting ATS off and on for several years, lots of interesting topics. But the topic of God vs. no God intrigues me the most.
I am a Christian and I hate seeing "believers" getting beat down by some of the intellectuals here.
This post is not directed to all non-believers, just the ones who ridicule,mock and are just nasty.You know who you are.
You use big words and science, facts and quotes to establish your viewpoint. You are full of knowledge and wisdom. You are intelligent and possess great writing skills. You can look up facts to support your therories. You have the awnswers to most everything. You indeed have great human wisdom.
However, you have no faith and no understanding of God's wisdom.

I understand all this, we need science, physics, knowledge and wisdom. It has made us who we are. Humans now have more knowledge than we ever had before.
God has given us the tools to become successful, that is what he wants. But He did not want us to forget Him.
Your mistake is relying on flawed human wisdom over God's infinite wisdom.

Using your earthly wisdom, your famous quote is "show me the proof/evidence". Well guess what ? If there was absolute proof it wouldn't be a faith based religion would it. You ask for something we don't have, so you win every time, right ? Wrong !
Your earthly logic and wisdom cannot except somethihg without cold hard facts. Christians do not need evidence to believe. Lets face it, we are different.

I have a few tidbits of information concerning knowledge and wisdom for you from the most published Book on the planet. Yes, you know what Book I'm talking about !

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength." (I Corinthian 1:25)
In other words, If you take the wisest man who ever lived, his knowledge would be foolishness to God.
Does that impress you ? Do you feel a little inadequate? Where do you fit in when compared to the wisest man that ever lived ?
For all you intellectual non-believers this means all, I repeat ,all of your feeble attemps to dis-credit or dismiss the Word of God is foolishness, you can't do it !
Although, I'm sure you will continue to try. I will have something to say about that later.

Do you think your earthly facts and science can compare to God's infinite wisdom. He created the universe/multiverse ! What have you created ?
Even Albert Einstein recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. Ah, but the intellectuals who post on this board are smarter than Einstein, aren't you ?

"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord." (Proverbs 21:30)
Intellectual non-believers can post on message boards, place ads in newspapers, pay for TV/radio time etc. They are wasting their time, nothing they can do or say will discourage true believers.
If their point is not to discourage believers, then why do they do it ? Maybe they want to impress us with their knowledge. They indeed know much about worldly things, but what about things beyond our planet ? For example, what do they know about the afterlife ?
Christian's know much about the afterlife, all they have is one Book.

"Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?" (I Corinthian 1:20)
Which one you you intellectuals is the next Einstein ? How many books have you published ? How many magazine articles have you written ? All of your talking down to those who may not be as intellectually gifted as you is demeaning. Do you get enjoyment from this ? Does it make you feel big and powerful ?
You seem to get some kind of thrill by picking apart posts that do not agree with your thinking.

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such 'wisdom' does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil." (James 3:13-15) I have read several posts here directed toward Christians that seem to be bitter and hateful. Once they have degraded someones faith, they ridicule and brag (boast) about how smart they are.
Wow, the Bible certainly is insightful, it seems to have a passage for everything.

"The wise will be put to shame; they will be dismayed and trapped. Since they have rejected the word of the Lord, what kind of wisdom do they have?" (Jeremiah 8:9)
True wisdom comes from the Lord. If a person posesses great worldly wisdom, what does he gain. In the end, it will be death. On the other hand, if a person possesses great wisdom from the Lord, what does this man gain ? Life in paradise ! To me, it's a no-brainer !

"The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice." (Proverbs 12:15)
This applies to many here. You are right !!! You have the earthly facts and science to prove it. Who would dare argue with you in face of all your earthly facts ? Guess what ? I would wager that God doesn't care about your earthly facts near as much as you do. I'm sure He could take them or leave them.
Seems to me that a wise man would take advice, its just common sence.

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." (Proverbs 11:2) I can also tell from reading alot of the posts here, that some of you are very proud of your accompishments. You can't wait to come here and degrade someones faith and hope. Read the above passage, Disgrace is what you can expect. Plus, its not very nice !

"For wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse." (Proverbs 2:12) Man is inherently wicked. The old saying is true "Its hard to be good, it's easy to be bad". It takes God's wisdom and lots of human effort to always do the right thing. You do not have to know the Lord as your personal Savior to do good things, but it
helps. We all know good deeds will not get you into Heaven. There is only one way to enter Heaven. You must accept Jesus Christ as your personel Savior to be admitted into the Kingdom of Heaven, it is the only way.

I am not trying to shove my beliefs down anyones throat. I am merely defending the attacks on my faith.
Forcing yours beliefs on someone is wrong. The correct way is to simply tell people about your faith....... plant a seed. Once a person has heard the Word, it's up to them how they respond to it.

As I promised, I will leave you with one last thought, the very fact that you are on this board putting down Christians is fulfilling prophetsy.
You see, it states in (2Thess 2:1,3) that in the end times there will be a great "falling away" from the Faith.
When you post here, denying God, you are actually part of the "falling away". The Bible said this would happen.
Thanyou for fulfilling the Word of God.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bombeni

Good post AshleyD. Yep if I recall correctly the Bible is the greatest story ever told. Going on two thousand years old and still the best seller of all time.

shame so many people forget its a story

its like a sci-fi convention without the funny costumes

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by reject

um, no. observation would lead to the same conclusions.

I can picture the conversation now:

"Gee Saul, have you noticed that when the men and woman engage in massive orgies, they tend to get sick?

"Why yes Moses, I have noticed the same. Perhaps "God" can command against it."

This is not to say that god did not command such things, however, as a logical skeptic, it is important to note the logical fallacy in your arguement, ie the post hoc, ergo proctor hoc fallacy (false cause) - that one possible cause of a phenomenon is assumed to be the only cause.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 01:53 AM
link   
I find this subject quite interesting as well I am a studious character in the religions of the world and it is fascinating that all of them seem to link and tell the same storyline with name changes and different symbolism yet are truly a collection of our histories and knowledge.
My current belief is close to Christianity with a mix of many other religions incorporating Assyrian, Hindu, and Mayan ideas as well. Many religions speak of a wheel of time so to say and process that repeats itself my belief is that this holds some validity, and that in the long period it takes for this loop to occur at the end of it there are always survivors which initially carry what they have left of their knowledge to the peoples of less demolished areas.
It would be easy to see how a cataclysmic incident could wipe out our technologies and revert most of the populous to a somewhat stone age existence. Then possibly Survivors with technology still intact who evaded the destruction somehow, possibly by ship, aircraft, or shelter could be forced to travel possibly for generations before making contact with the other survivors offspring whom were forced to live a more simple life.
When contact is initially made the generations with intact technology would seem godlike to the others and their descriptions of the events and sciences could seem magical thus the beginning of a religion. With just the little push of the enlightened peoples offspring the whole cycle will begin again until the next cataclysmic event.

So with that hypothesis in consideration my answer would be no it does not surprise me one bit, and to leave an opinion about some of the other comments I would say that when these advanced peoples came they knew how to live peaceful and sanitary so passed these traditions on to the other people with warnings of repercussions for fear is a great tool to force obedience and creates haters if not understood in the value of the whole picture.

RWW

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Gen 3:15 And I will putH7896 enmityH342 betweenH996 thee and the woman,H802 and betweenH996 thy seedH2233 and her seed;H2233 itH1931 shall bruiseH7779 thy head,H7218 and thouH859 shalt bruiseH7779 his heel.H6119

case closed God said from the womans seed end of story anything more stems from only the rejection of God and His love and His word

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Really mixing of cotten and flax was forbid because as a garment of flax by itself resist 5000 angstroms of rads whereas cotten only resist 500 and they cancel each other out as well wool resist 5000 angstroms but with one garment of flax and another of wool they also cancle eachother out resisting light has health benefits like no solar radation damage no skin cancer and many others and flax is anti bacterial

[edit on 2-12-2008 by steelwarrior]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by steelwarrior
Gen 3:15 And I will putH7896 enmityH342 betweenH996 thee and the woman,H802 and betweenH996 thy seedH2233 and her seed;H2233 itH1931 shall bruiseH7779 thy head,H7218 and thouH859 shalt bruiseH7779 his heel.H6119

case closed God said from the womans seed end of story anything more stems from only the rejection of God and His love and His word

what kind of a bible are you reading? ive owned a few and still do and never seen hXXXX in any of them

that doesnt close the case just your mind to exploring the possabilities

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There is no hell. It is an un-Biblical teaching. Meaning: the Bible does not teach it.

Heck, as much as you readers of this site are into conspiracy theories, you ought to have known that the catholic religion and those offshoots that took with themselves the catholic traditions and beliefs (such as lutheran, etc) is the biggest conspiracy of all times. When talking about religion, one can talk about conspiracy theologies instead of theories;-)

And for all smarty alecs here: there is also no soul that survives death. When you die you go back to where you were before you were born. Meaning: you become nothing. Or in other words: humans do not have some inbuilt life after death. That is why for Adam the punishment from eating from that tree (death) was not just some transmogrification (to use a term from Calvin & Hobbes) to some other realm. God told him that dust he was and dust he was to become. Not that he was going to become some 'angelic' lifeform. You can also think about it this way: when on earth, a human being is dependent on his eyesight, hearing, smell, and touch to make sense on the reality around him. Do you think these would survive the death of the physical body? Of course not.

Since there is no life after death, there is also no need for hellfire.

Mankinds only hope is not called Obi-wan Kenobi. It is called resurrection.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by solomamkkane
[Hi All,

I've been visiting ATS off and on for several years, lots of interesting topics. But the topic of God vs. no God intrigues me the most.
I am a Christian and I hate seeing "believers" getting beat down by some of the intellectuals here.
This post is not directed to all non-believers, just the ones who ridicule, mock and are just nasty.
You know who you are.
You use big words and science, facts and quotes to establish your viewpoint. You are full of knowledge and wisdom. You are intelligent and possess great writing skills. You can look up facts to support your therories. You have the awnswers to most everything. You indeed have great human wisdom.

I understand all this, we need science, physics, knowledge and wisdom. It has made us who we are. Humans now have more knowledge than we ever had before.God has given us the tools to become successful, that is what he wants. But He did not want us to forget Him.
Your mistake is relying on flawed human wisdom over God's infinite wisdom.

Using your earthly wisdom, your famous quote is "show me the proof/evidence". Well guess what ? If there was absolute proof it wouldn't be a faith based religion would it. You ask for something we don't have, so you win every time, right ? Wrong !
Your earthly logic and wisdom cannot accept somethihg without cold hard facts.
Christians do not need concrete evidence that God / Jesus is real. We accept God with our hearts, not our brain.

I have a few tidbits of information concerning knowledge and wisdom for you from the most published Book on the planet. Yes, you know what Book I'm talking about !

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength." (I Corinthian 1:25)
In other words, If you take the wisest man who ever lived, his knowledge would be foolishness to God.
Does that impress you ? Do you feel a little inadaquate? Where do you fit in when compared to the wisest man that ever lived ?
For all you intellectual non-believers this means all, I repeat ,all of your feeble attemps to dis-credit or dismiss the Word of God is foolishness, you can't do it !
Although, I'm sure you will continue to try. I will have something to say about that later.

Do you think your earthly facts and science can compare to God's infinite wisdom. He created the universe/multiverse ! What have you created ?
Even Albert Einstein recognized the impossibility of a non-created universe. Ah, but the intellectuals who post on this board are smarter than Einstein, aren't you ?

"There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the Lord." (Proverbs 21:30)Intellectual non-believers can post on message boards, place ads in newspapers, pay for TV/radio time etc. They are wasting their time, nothing they can do or say will discourage true believers.
If their point is not to discourage believers, then why do they do it ? Maybe they want to impress us with their knowledge. They indeed know much about worldly things, but what about things beyond our planet ? For example, what do they know about the afterlife ?
Christian's know much about the afterlife, all they have is one Book.

"Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?" (I Corinthian 1:20) Which one you you intellectuals is the next Einstein ? How many books have you published ? How many magazine articles have you written ? All of your talking down to those who may not be as intellectually gifted as you is demeaning. Do you get enjoyment from this ? Does it make you feel big and powerful ?
You seem to get some kind of thrill by picking apart posts that do not agree with your thinking.

"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such 'wisdom' does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil." (James 3:13-15) I have read several posts here directed toward Christians that seem to be bitter and hateful. Once they have degraded someones faith, they ridicule and brag (boast) about how smart they are.
Wow, the Bible certainly is insightful, it seems to have a passage for everything.

"The wise will be put to shame; they will be dismayed and trapped. Since they have rejected the word of the Lord, what kind of wisdom do they have?" (Jeremiah 8:9) True wisdom comes from the Lord. If a person posesses great worldly wisdom, what does he gain. In the end, it will be death. On the other hand, if a person possesses great wisdom from the Lord, what does this man gain ? Life in paradise ! To me, it's a no-brainer !

"The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice." (Proverbs 12:15) This applies to many here. You are right !!! You have the earthly facts and science to prove it. Who would dare argue with you in face of all your earthly facts ? Guess what ? I would wager that God doesn't care about your earthly facts near as much as you do. I'm sure He could take them or leave them.
Seems to me that a wise man would take advice, its just common sence.

"When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom." (Proverbs 11:2) I can also tell from reading alot of the posts here, that some of you are very proud of your accompishments. You can't wait to come here and degrade someones faith and hope. Read the above passage, Disgrace is what you can expect. Plus, its not very nice !

"For wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse." (Proverbs 2:12) Man is inherently wicked. The old saying is true "Its hard to be good, it's easy to be bad". It takes God's wisdom and lots of human effort to always do the right thing. You do not have to know the Lord as your personel Savior to do good things, but it
helps. We all know good deeds will not get you into Heaven. There is only one way to enter Heaven. You must accept Jesus Christ as your personel Savior to be admitted into the Kingdom of Heaven, it is the only way.

I am not trying to shove my beliefs down anyones throat. I am merely defending the attacks on my faith.
Forcing yours beliefs on someone is wrong. The correct way is to simply tell people about your faith....... plant a seed. Once a person has heard the Word, it's up to them how they respond to it.

As I promised, I will leave you with one last thought, the very fact that you are on this board putting down Christians is fulfilling prophetsy.
You see, it states in (2Thess 2:1,3) that in the end times there will be a great "falling away" from the Faith.
When you post here, denying God, you are actually part of the "falling away". The Bible said this would happen.
Thanyou for fulfilling the Word of God.]

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Which King David are you referring to? There were at least Five King Davids of Israel in Egypt. Mary was the goddess Hathor-Meri - Meri means 'beloved of' - also known to Greeks as Isis.

Iosa (Egyptian and still today the Gaelic name for the mythical Jesus) being the spiritual side of King David means that David and Iosa were one and the same - no need for any genealogical descent, unless you mean YmnTwtAnkh (Twt = Dwd in Hebrew = David) and King Dyayhwt III. In this case Twt was the son of SalimYmn III (Solomon) who was the son of Dyayhwt IV who was the son of SalimYmn II who was the son of Dyayhwt III - the biblical King David.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

umm you do realise the irony of this statement?

faith is the opposite of understanding

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

old people become more aware of their mortality. same goes for sick people. when you become aware of your mortality you tend to hope that you are not just the brain and you wont fade into nothingness forever once the brain dies. even though you do fade into nothingness (until further proof of the contrary) people want to believe there is a way out. so they become religious. i'm expecting this to happen to me when i reach a certain age or health situation.
einstein was both old and someone who didn't want to accept that the universe could not be fully explained with exact laws. he was deeply troubled by the uncertainty principle where the sub-atomic world is more of a probability than a certainty, where particles and waves interchange and you can never know exactly where something is. even a genius has his own limitations. he did break unexplored ground but then he could not go any further - his mind just could not accept it because the spark of the genius was gone and he wanted to hang on to his world view.

isn't it always predictable that bible lovers will conveniently go back to the bible to make their "told you so" point? the bible was written and edited by the church who still today has the incentive to keep people obedient - see catholic church vs condoms as a simple example. in this case the church doesn't care what happens to the babies born to families that cant afford them - they just want to have more baptized members. just like a bank giving incentives for opening new accounts because they need it for their bottom line.
so it's quite obvious the bible will have those "told you so" fail-safes to prove its writers knew this "heresy" would happen, long before anyone thought of it. same way as people now seeing doomsday scenarios or that antichrist thing (which is never mentioned in the bible) or even that antichrist would be a muslim (a religion which did not exist at the time the bible was written). the bible is part history book of the early human civilization, part moral code book for times long gone. we're living in the 21st century and people should stop listening to talk radio and tv priests who make millions of their spin of things.

[edit on 3-12-2008 by DarkSecret]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join