It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your current EDC

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentBlack
reply to post by Northern Raider

because i like you, i'll let that one slid THIS TIME!

i do respect you british chaps, but if you ever make a silly comment about being second to any sloppy army amateur of one.....

I did not intend offence, but I remain fiirm in my statement , my beloved Light Infantry is and always will be the finest fighting force in the world, it has not lost a battle in 300 years, again no offence intended.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
good track record.

we've only gone undefeated for 233 years.

but please, rangers are like those annoying little dogs yipping at your feet.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
of course there was that time we told you red coats to shag off and kicked you out of our new country, and bailed you out of two world wars and....

i'm sorry, that was low.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:43 AM
link   

of course there was that time we told you red coats to shag off and kicked you out of our new country, and bailed you out of two world wars and....

i'm sorry, that was low.

Not as low as us whupping you in 1812 , Capturing your capital, burning it down etc
Lets get back on topic.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   
agreed

so, i was thinking on my pocket kit. given that most water is poluted and atleast around here there are signs up saying to not eat the fish, and that fishing can take up alot of time. do you think fishing gear is something to add to a EDC pocket kit?
did the UK have those rediculous "rambo" survival knives with the fishing kit and useless cable saw in the handle back in the 80's?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentBlack

A full scale fishing kit would be near impossible to carry everywhere you went. I do keep a breakdown spinning rod with lures, hooks, etc... in my BOB, but for an EDC, I keep some 6 lb test and some 100 lb test with me as well as hooks and sinkers tucked in my wallet. Can be used for alot more than fishing as well.

At first I thought it was a bit silly, so out camping I put the "fancy" gear away and tried just fastening some line to a live tree branch. Baited with a small piece of cheese and 10 minutes later actually caught something.

However, that was in a controlled situation where I was going to eat that day if I caught something or not. In a pure survival situation, trot lines, set nets and traps would be much more effective than that a hook and line.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

agreed

so, i was thinking on my pocket kit. given that most water is poluted and atleast around here there are signs up saying to not eat the fish, and that fishing can take up alot of time. do you think fishing gear is something to add to a EDC pocket kit?
did the UK have those rediculous "rambo" survival knives with the fishing kit and useless cable saw in the handle back in the 80's?

All I keep fishing wise is some hooks, line, lead sinkers etc , I keep a cork in another part of my kit that can be used as a float but its main purpose is to be burnt to make cblack cammo powder for my face. However in the last 30 years in the UK most waterways in the UK have managed to end up witrh healthy stocks of crayfish (crawfish) mini lobsters, usually the American red clawed version so I keep lots of netting. At a push the netting can be rigged with bits of wood to attract crayfish, or in another format eels. And one other thing, environmental improvements have caused is the return of fresh water musssels to many areas and they are easy to find. I am also blessed by never being more than about 70 miles from the coast, ( I live only 14 miles away now) Living up here offers me everything from mussels, whelks, winkles, crab, dogfish and billions of nesting sea birds to harvest if needed. I dont keep poles, reels, floats or flies though.

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
still working on the pocket kit, have not forgotten.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   

They are about, mainly on that popular so called auction site.
I would not invest in one and lets face it, when you need it, the plastic handle will break.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uber Fr0g
WOW, I never realized that there were so many people cruising around with this much gear!?!?!

I'm amazed and worried at the same time lol. I personally cannot tote a lot of the items listed around with me in my vehicle or on me, save for a few : ) . I will however after reading this begin putting a few worthwhile kits and stores together fore readiness. Can anyone recommend any decent web-sites for this type of thing?

Long time between now and whn you asked this, but
I'd check out Survival Blog.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

fishing lines and hooks can be used for more than catching fish. A hook with bait and a line can also be used to catch birds. Use it the same way you would to catch a fish only set it out with a small bit of bread and wait for a bird. It is highly illegal though. They can also be used for emergency sutures as well as a sewing kit for gear or clothing.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
My daily EDC choice for the local area, and my cutting tool choice depending on where I am going and what I am doing.
Respects
NR

[edit on 1-1-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Jan, 1 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Some very good images you have there in that account of your's.

Where did you get that Body warmer / tactical jacket from, Army surplus ??? Camping shop.
I could very well do with purchasing one of them myself.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by colec156

Some very good images you have there in that account of your's.

Where did you get that Body warmer / tactical jacket from, Army surplus ??? Camping shop.
I could very well do with purchasing one of them myself.

Actually its only a Regatta OS 4 travel vest in Olive green, I slightly modify them by putting in better quality elastic shock cord instead of the cheap knicker elastic that it comes with, fit some velcro patches and a few d rings and pretty much thats it. New they are only about £25, but if you know of any market stalls that sell Regatta stuff you can get then for £10

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join