It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your current EDC

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I have various multi tools that I like to, rotate through my EDC and BOBs, most are from Gerber like the 400 multi plier and a Legend, But I would really like to use a Leatherman Wave my wife bought me, cept for one problem, The fold out tools like the screw drivers and knives are secured by Torx Plus Security fittings, IE a five star torx head with a centre post, and they are simply to bloody tight to allow me to easily swing the tools out. and I have not got any of these Torx Plus tools only the ordinary torx bits, so the wave sits gathering in my drawer.
What is the point of having multi tools if they can not be field stripped for cleaning and oiling ?, At least Gerbers are accessible , I wont buy a Leatherman again.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Thanks for posting that NR!

Do all Leathermans have that daft feature?? I always thought the Leathermen was meant to be the ultimate multi-tool.

If thats the case I'll give them a miss in favour of the gerber models, I've already taken mine to pieces and put it back together, all you need is a small allen key

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
First of all I will not post any of my guns on the net, but believe me I’m ready (not crazy type tough…).
Survival Small Bug out Bag
Small but back (next week I will be changing it for acu camouflage as of the moment its tan)
Smith and Wesson Special ops knife (1/2 serrated)
Gerber (one of those that pop out when you flick it, no sure how dependable it is but over 1 year and hasn’t failed me yet)
Medicine- pretty much everything from aspirin to diarrhea tablets and medical equipment like gauze, pressure dressings, clamps, a stitch up kit and a couple of syringes (you never know when you are going to need to scrounge for some type of injected meds and not have a means to inject (highly unlikely, but still…)
Tourniquet (the real deal…)
Wool glove inserts (current army standard issue)
Tactical shooting gloves (the insert+glove combo is the best for my needs, its warm but allows me to micromanage equipment without loss of dexterity)
Gray beanie (cotton/polyester mix)
3 pairs of scissors.
2 astronaut banquets.
2 Disposable ponchos (great for tarps to use with tents by the way)
Tissot compass + translucent map reader.
Little map book.
2 Bick lighters (I just lost my burner  )
Fire starter paste
Fishing lines (different tests)
Hooks and sinkers different sizes (just a couple though)
Small weapons cleaning kit (strapped on the but pack so it sits outside for easy acces)
Thermobak ACU camouflage Camelback.( Recommended! Not part of the pack itself but are always strapped together when I put them in my car)
Eyepros with both clear, and dark shades.
Big Led flashlight with extra everything (this alone can save your life in my opinion)
Wind up radio/LED Flashlight (in an emergency you can power something up with it like a tiny generator)
Samsung Cell phone
WP tablets.
2 MRES. (also good for airtight material/bandaging)
Besides my guns I carry a decent gas propelled BB handgun in case I need to kill something small that doesn’t require a 9mm, 7.62 round… It’s effective against small vermin and birds and quieter than a handgun/rifle/shotgun

Scrounged up from trash:
2 long and tough insulated wires
2 long and thin non insulated wires
A couple of beads as markers.
A long reel of survival cord.

Most important of all my brain, which can speak 3 languages and has basic medical and extensive first aid knowledge and some other tricks in the bag. (don’t mean to brag but you gotta have something up there to survive in a critical situation)

Things I will purchase before the end of the year.
Everything required to make a Swiss seat and rappel down surfaces (have been trained and practice this at least twice a year, but much more often last few years)
A small 22 rifle(maybe folding stock if possible) to replace the BB gun… I’ll have to test different ammo types to seen which is quieter.
A decent fire stone.
More LED flashlights
Another backup knife
Smaller backup gerber.

By the way If I didn’t have to leave in a hurry, I could also grab my tents, big dark green camping bag (foldable tripod chair included), My tarps, More imperishable foods. And most importantly my family, who already know the plan incase disaster strikes (plus my wife is a crack shot for some reason and we talk about how it would be best to sneak out of our area if SHTF and where it would be best to bug out with the kids) One more thing if you are a family man/girl please teach your spouse whatever it is you know so that if you go down somebody/thing comes by and makes easy prey. Also have a main and backup firearm for each family member old enough to use it (better living through larger firepower and one person can only fire one gun at a time) Back on topic I would also grab my entrenching tool (shovel and weapon in one) if I had the time.

*Edit. I usually wear a pair of jeans,t shirt, sweatshirt, decent underwear and socks and a black synthetic jacket. When in civilian that is… but all my acu uniforms and army gear are readily available… Body armor and IBA. Kevlar helmet and so on... Specially all my boots!

Peace on earth

[edit on 8-12-2008 by TheDarkFlame]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

I don't recommend going Gerber...leatherman is far superior without question.

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Mobile Phone
Wallet, including CARDS!
Lighter, Cigarettes
Pen
Condom :]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Fred one important aspect of survival tools is the ease in which they can be operated and maintained, Waves are a bitch to open and close, unless you have five point torx plus security bits you can not adjust nor strip the tool for cleaning, Gerbers are much easier that why the US govt adopted them for their military forces, Try cleaning a leatherman after gutting a bunnie or a fish. We need to be able to disassemble multi tools on occasion, at least I do as a former soldier i need to see a tol stripped down, cleaned, degreased, regreased and re assembled. Leatherman make maintence a return to factory job.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
BTW the Stainless steel wing springs that secure the pliers open on the Wave have been known to snap, In all fairness they also snap on the Legends, Thats why the slide out multiplier models come out top in my list, nothing to snap, plus they are damn easy to strip and clean.

[edit on 8-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
reply to post by fred3110

I don't recommend going Gerber...leatherman is far superior without question.

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

Interesting videos, but they do not consider the tools use in the hands of survivalists, hes more interested in ergonomics and convenience of access to tools rather to its usuability in the real world. The Plier retaining springs on the wave are a weak spot, its damn near impossible to field strip and clean the wave. the slide out Gerbers cut the mustard for outdoorsmen, soldiers and survivalists, the wave is good for gap year students.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheDarkFlame
First of all I will not post any of my guns on the net, but believe me I’m ready (not crazy type tough…).
Survival Small Bug out Bag
Small but back (next week I will be changing it for acu camouflage as of the moment its tan)
Smith and Wesson Special ops knife (1/2 serrated)
Gerber (one of those that pop out when you flick it, no sure how dependable it is but over 1 year and hasn’t failed me yet)
Medicine- pretty much everything from aspirin to diarrhea tablets and medical equipment like gauze, pressure dressings, clamps, a stitch up kit and a couple of syringes (you never know when you are going to need to scrounge for some type of injected meds and not have a means to inject (highly unlikely, but still…)
Tourniquet (the real deal…)
Wool glove inserts (current army standard issue)
Tactical shooting gloves (the insert+glove combo is the best for my needs, its warm but allows me to micromanage equipment without loss of dexterity)
Gray beanie (cotton/polyester mix)
3 pairs of scissors.
2 astronaut banquets.
2 Disposable ponchos (great for tarps to use with tents by the way)
Tissot compass + translucent map reader.
Little map book.
2 Bick lighters (I just lost my burner  )
Fire starter paste
Fishing lines (different tests)
Hooks and sinkers different sizes (just a couple though)
Small weapons cleaning kit (strapped on the but pack so it sits outside for easy acces)
Thermobak ACU camouflage Camelback.( Recommended! Not part of the pack itself but are always strapped together when I put them in my car)
Eyepros with both clear, and dark shades.
Big Led flashlight with extra everything (this alone can save your life in my opinion)
Wind up radio/LED Flashlight (in an emergency you can power something up with it like a tiny generator)
Samsung Cell phone
WP tablets.
2 MRES. (also good for airtight material/bandaging)
Besides my guns I carry a decent gas propelled BB handgun in case I need to kill something small that doesn’t require a 9mm, 7.62 round… It’s effective against small vermin and birds and quieter than a handgun/rifle/shotgun

Scrounged up from trash:
2 long and tough insulated wires
2 long and thin non insulated wires
A couple of beads as markers.
A long reel of survival cord.

Most important of all my brain, which can speak 3 languages and has basic medical and extensive first aid knowledge and some other tricks in the bag. (don’t mean to brag but you gotta have something up there to survive in a critical situation)

Things I will purchase before the end of the year.
Everything required to make a Swiss seat and rappel down surfaces (have been trained and practice this at least twice a year, but much more often last few years)
A small 22 rifle(maybe folding stock if possible) to replace the BB gun… I’ll have to test different ammo types to seen which is quieter.
A decent fire stone.
More LED flashlights
Another backup knife
Smaller backup gerber.

By the way If I didn’t have to leave in a hurry, I could also grab my tents, big dark green camping bag (foldable tripod chair included), My tarps, More imperishable foods. And most importantly my family, who already know the plan incase disaster strikes (plus my wife is a crack shot for some reason and we talk about how it would be best to sneak out of our area if SHTF and where it would be best to bug out with the kids) One more thing if you are a family man/girl please teach your spouse whatever it is you know so that if you go down somebody/thing comes by and makes easy prey. Also have a main and backup firearm for each family member old enough to use it (better living through larger firepower and one person can only fire one gun at a time) Back on topic I would also grab my entrenching tool (shovel and weapon in one) if I had the time.

*Edit. I usually wear a pair of jeans,t shirt, sweatshirt, decent underwear and socks and a black synthetic jacket. When in civilian that is… but all my acu uniforms and army gear are readily available… Body armor and IBA. Kevlar helmet and so on... Specially all my boots!

Peace on earth

[edit on 8-12-2008 by TheDarkFlame]

I forgot to add my lockpicks they can open everythin but top of the line locks.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
As an individual, I think you have to have a mulit-tool and a flashlight in every glovebox. No matter how infrequently you drive. I think most poeple get a little weirded out by us survivalists, but it's not like we have to have major things. Sure, if you got the room for the 3 months of food in your car, maybe, but I have a med kit, small bug out (style) bag and essentials to help me on the side of the road or if I have to hike to help.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

nr the wave will loosen up over use time. It did take a few weeks of constant use to do so. Have you seen the SOG multitool? I have one of thos on my hip as we speak. It is used daily in a shop environment and holds up well to the abuse.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by reluctantpawn

nr the wave will loosen up over use time. It did take a few weeks of constant use to do so. Have you seen the SOG multitool? I have one of thos on my hip as we speak. It is used daily in a shop environment and holds up well to the abuse.

respectfully

reluctantpawn

Aye the SOG powertool is another real outdoormans tool, they are not bad pieces of kit, I also had the Victorinox tool but i hated it as it was just to heavy and unweildy, oddly enough the one i edc most is a tatty old Gerber multiplier with a detonator crimping plier head, I proffed it off an american soldier in exchange for some Briot compo rations.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Hey kinglizard thanks for posting them vids! I was sat there comparing my Gerber to the other two models, it’s way better than the cheaper Gerber model but I don’t think it compares to the features of the Leatherman, It’s still a nice sturdy multi-tool though, its been put through some rough tests over the last few days…well worth the money I paid for it!

NR I like to strip and clean my tools thoroughly as well, I’ve already had my Gerber in pieces and its still nice and sturdy
Out in the field I think that ability is a nescessity since you dont have access to specialized tools.

One thing I didn’t see him compare in the vid were the needle nose Vs regular pliers. The needle nose pliers are much better for electrical work where as the regular pliers are a bit more cumbersome and better for mechanical applications.

I guess everybody has there own personal preferences for tools, thankfully I cant complain about anything except one thing…it doesn’t have a file…doh!

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

I now carry a small flash light and a very small pocket radio just to listen to any comms.

I think when you make an EDC it should really be tailored to your requirements.
If you worked out in the sticks, fair enough you may need some food, maybe a space blanket and ability to make shelter.

Mine is enough for me for my every day.
In my car I also keep a blanket, first aid kit, torch etc.

Some EDC bags as described in this thread seem way over the top, though maybe it's just me.
Again it's down to personal choice.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Everybody should have a role of duct tape and those with cell phones should have an alternative means of charging them

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Duct tape ah, the tape of a thousand uses, and yes I carry a spare charger and car charger for my phone.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

Actually I have a solar charger and handcrank one for back up in case a car / electricity is not avalible. There are also power packs that contain regular batteries and you can charge the phone that way. Its not as efficient but if you need the phone you need the phone.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

yeah I have seen them crank ones but they don't fit my phone, So I may get a nokia next.
They do look great though, one I have seen had a radio on it and torch.

Good alround survival tool really.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

love this thread!
i never really planned out what i carry everyday, looking at some of these lists though i highly doubt some of these guys carry all that crap EVERY day. but it got me thinking so i emptied my pockets.

i found:
a CRKT M16-13T
keys attached to a homemade lanyard of braided 550 cord (when unbraided equals two 4 foot lengths)
a bic lighter (even though i don't smoke)
a hankerchef
cell phone (pay as you go unregistered drug dealer type tracfone)
two pack of advil
a green photon (small keychain size led squeeze light that can be seen for a mile or so advertised)
my trusty zebra F-701 stainless steel pen
wallet with a couple scraps of right-in-the-rain water proof note paper and a few band-aids inside
40$
1pr nitril high-risk gloves
4ft of duct tape in a tiny flat role made from a larger roll ( i watched too much McGiver back in the day)
2 trojan non-lubricated condoms (figure they make a good canteen in a pinch or muzzle cover when i was in iraq)
finger nail clippers

with the exception of the 40 bucks i always carry this stuff, guess i'm in good shape.

long time ago i made a pocket survival kit that fit in a plastic case the size of a casette case (remember those?) it would fit in a shirt pocket and was pretty complete. but i stopped carrying it years ago and it's long since gone

after this i think i'll put together another one, i'll see if i can remember what was in it and post it here.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
2 CRKT M16 knives (one for each side)
Glock 32 with 2 extra mags
Minimum of $200 in cash
2 lighters
Oakley M Frames
Oakley Combat boots
sometimes I even wear underwear, but its always some form of camo in case I get caught out in the woods at a bad time.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join