It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Skips Church for Gym

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Obama Skips Church for Gym

news.aol.com

Nov. 23) - Since the election, future President Barack Obama has traded Sunday morning pews for some quality time at the gym. .....

Churches, especially African-American houses of prayer, played an important role in Obama's candidacy, notes the Associated Press and Politico. Obama made campaign stops in churches. Congregations prayed for him on Election Day, and celebrated his victory, the Associated Press reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
He didnt attend church often befor the election, just enough to prove he was Christian. Now after he's elected he quits altogether, seems kinda fishy to me....

Have other presidents taken this same route befor?
Anybody have some explenation for this?

since this is in the Alternative news area, i guess i would be safe bringing up his past Muslim links... Maybe he only went to church because he didnt want his Muslim past, and ties, to affect any political ambitions... I dont know but this is kinda fishy to me

news.aol.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I was going to make another comment in reply to this, but while typing it I realized it would quickly be removed.

I acknowledge it's entirely his prerogative whether or not to attend church, but I'd say all the evangelicals who voted for him may be a little upset at this news.

+6 more 
link   
reply to post by Gunsron

No offense to you, but this doesn't belong on this site. This seems more like gossip then actual news. Why would anyone care that Obama went to the gym instead of church. He may be the president elect of the United States but he has his own life.

What's wrong with going to the gym, I'd rather have a healthy president then one steeped into religion.

-Ign0ranT

link   
He resigned from Trinity church and when he announced his resignation he said that he wouldn't be choosing a new church until after January. I'm assuming that once he gets to D.C. he'll find one that suits him (or one that would make him look the best).

I don't really care if he goes to church or not as long as he isn't attending one that is filled with racists!

Jemison

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
So? He's like every other American then, I suppose...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gunsron

sorry, but....

who cares?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I'm about the furthest from being an Obama supporter on this planet, but I think this kind of thing is so unimportant.

So what if he doesn't go to church every week . . . based on the fact that his attendance at any church would turn it from a spiritual visit to some abomination of a media circus, you really can't blame the guy.

And, to say he's quit going altogether is a bit of a stretch, too.

So much ado about . . . well . . . not all that much in my humble opinion, anyway.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
At some point in the future when it suits his needs I'm sure Obama will don the "I'm a Christian" coat again. Until then he needs to work on his abs!

[edit on 24-11-2008 by jjkenobi]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I believe the point is that Obama really pulled out the "Look everyone, I am a Christian" card this election in order to identify with the evangelical and black vote.

The truth is, he didn't start going to church until one of his political advisers told him he needed to several years ago, and now will not do so again until 2 years from now when the election cycle is gearing up again.

Frankly, I don't care what religion any President is. But if you are going to claim to be a Christian in order to get their votes, you need to be one. Don't fake it for political gain.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
99.9% of Christians I know no longer go to church unless they are over fifty. My Catholic friends take it pretty seriously, but not my Christian friends or family. I don’t see anything wrong with a Christian not going to church, does the bible ever claim a follower of God must do so or he is a secret Muslim?

What’s fishy to me is the big deal people make this stuff out to be.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Ermmm...

Jesus never attended Church, so what's the problem?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I have absolutely no problem with Obama not going to church. It's pathetic that we still live in a time that we, as a country, may vote or not vote for a candidate based on their church affiliations.

I have no problem with someone who believes in God, or whomever they believe in having a high position in office. I'm more put off by church/religion being brought into politics, but I'm fine with a politician who has some spirituality going on. Or Agnostic for that matter. Just keep church out of it! There's an ocean of difference between God and religion.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Newsflash:

"Politician lies shocker!"

My goodness, I'm amazed this is considered newsworthy.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Claiming "omg Christians dont have to go to church" is really moot because he always himself made a big deal about it during the campaign (so much so that the Rev. Wright backfired on him). If its such a important part of his life, and he somehow starts going a few years before his meteoric rise to power and stops immediately after he wins the election, it strongly suggests it was all a political ploy. That is the problem. It would have been one thing had he claimed to be a Christian but just didn't want to go to church or never went to church regularly to begin with.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Hum this remind me another candidate for presidency that used the fundamentalist ignorance to win the white House for a second term while promising all kind of goodies and proclaiming himself a "born againt Christan" to turn around and give the finger to them.

Yes that was Mr. Bush, but then again isn't this hard core Christians intelligent enough no to trust liars I mean politicians?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sabrinaleena

Well put and I am in agreement with you. I am more concerned with those who proclaim they religion loudly and maintain a narrow vision and seek to serve as law makers or in a political office.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
This just in!!! Obama eats a stringbean!!!... Cut it out , McCain lost. Get over it!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
Frankly, I don't care what religion any President is. But if you are going to claim to be a Christian in order to get their votes, you need to be one. Don't fake it for political gain.

You have to go to church to be a believer? OK, here's one:

Islamic Republic of Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad left a press conference near noon time in Istanbul Friday to attend Turkish historic city's Friday prayer rituals at Sultan Ahmad Mosque.

www2.irna.ir...

You want to trade leaders?

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesWideShut

I heard Obama is moving in a couple months.

And he doesn't want to bring his entire entourage in on an unsuspecting church and cause a big commotion over HIM, when people are there for quite another purpose. Can you imagine if Obama came to your church!?!?! Not much worshipin' goin' on.

I think God will let it slide.

I think Obama is doing the right thing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join