It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the best Vehicle for an extreme survival situation....?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
personlly i would stick with what i already have, an old school 1949 cj-3a pickup, with the parts to change to propane conversion, and hopfully by then i will already have dana 60 and for 9"rear, lifted couple inches ect... it will get me out of the city if i have to drive in the river beds. but realistically a sail boat would be the best option.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Landcruiser 80 series 90-97 are the best survival normal SUV type cars. They will go anywhere and tough as a tank!

www.youtube.com...

these cars used to be $60,000 at dealer lots... now much much cheaper. reliable and do 250k-350k easy

Survival = tough terrain, getting places where most cant make it to or taking shortcuts due to extreme condition yes? well here is the only video you need to see to get all proof of why this vehicle is the best in its class!

www.youtube.com...

LANDCRUISER PICTURE

[edit on 24-11-2008 by NickT916]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
This is the Beuty for you
6 wheel drive fully amphibian first appeared in 1959

www.tankmuseum.com...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
There's probably some army surplus Abram's tanks laying around somewhere.

Be even better with the ammo.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Marlborough Red

Yeah, hmmmm what car should I buy next should be a top priority if the economy and civilization as we know it crashes....

If a catastrophe were to hit, transporting your ass to places would become the lowest priority. Obtaining food, water, shelter and possibly even weapons should be #1.

If I were you I'd sell my car and build a well stocked bunker.

-rrr

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:39 AM
link   
You guys know that diesel engines run on vegetable oil, right?

For the U.S., I am thinking a 4x4 diesel Ford pickup would be the most practical. If fuel is no longer being refined, you could get diesel, which is not as volatile as gasoline and therefore lasts a long time, or vegetable oil if necessary, and they have made many millions of them, so spare parts will be available long into the future.

If an EMP event occurs close enough to fry your vehicle, then everything collapses and you may be better off with cyanide pills. If not, and you last long enough to experience the eventual breakdown of the truck such that it is irreparable, and society has not reformed yet in such a way to support civilized life, then you may as well call it quits then, too.

Really, in the worst case scenarios, if you are in a zone of total societal breakdown, and there is no outside help coming to rescue you, your odds of survival past a few months are very slim.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by racegunz
reply to post by kozmo

I agree, except there's lots of oil besides Saudi oil and there is a huge stockpiles of refined fuel that will be stuck in distribution lines when the SHTF. If you have the firepower you'll have fuel at least for a couple of years. If it gets so bad that it goes on past acouple of years then all bets are off your feet and a horse will be all there is. A good Bow with some arrows will be worth as much as a horse by then too, who in the hell will be making gun powder after the SHTF???

Picture this... if you are hungry, have no place to take a crap, have dirty clothes, and diarrhea from drinking dirty water from a nearby pond, or are thirsty, your kids are crying in the back seat with nothing to eat, you already ate your dog and cat, and your wife has a cold, but you already ran out of cold medicine.... where exactly do you feel like driving? the Costco down the street that's been looted already?

What exactly will a car do for you? in a serious emergency your place of work would be closed down, and soon all grocery stores and food suppliers would be empty. How would driving a car improve your prospects of survival?

If you want to be prepared you get food and water, maybe medicine and maybe some basic weapons. A good strong knife, means to start a fire, means to purify your own water. You get books on how to survive and get knowledge on how to forage for foods in your local area. You read those books and you practice it.

Transportation would be a lower priority and may not even be possible if fuel is unavailable.

-rrr

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
For me it would have to be a Nissan GQ SWB Patrol with a lift kit, spottys, snorkel, whinch etc etc.

Something like this:

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
well if you had reliable diesel supply, which you offcourse DONT have:

This would be your ultimate survival vehicle. Sisu na-series all-terrain tracked troop transport. In there U.S.A army in alaska uses similar looking swedish made Bandvagn designated SUSV (small unit support vehicle). We finns have both in use.

It can swim, go through swamps, snow, rocky terrains, forests etc. when road is available it can go 65 km/h. Allthought when this vehicle is available sticking to the roads is little stupid, because roads are dangerous and growded places.

It is designed to carry 17 fully armed soldiers with tents etc or loads of cargo. This leads to that with smaller groups its very spacious and has extremely large load carrying capacity. Has roof hacthes for lookout.can take large gear on its roof. Backpart is large enough to sleep inside. Can tow trailers and other things. USA army tows 1500kg cannons through snow with their suvs's without skis.

Big minus: Eats hefty lot of fuel 1l/km, driving on asphalt with high speed eats tracks.

do this with any 4*4
www.youtube.com...
You end up stucked in the swamp.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
My scooters because I could make short runs for food that I know where to get. It's also easy to hide once I am there in the bushes. Plenty of backroads to stay out of sight. Drive slow and traverse on the edges of railroad tracks. Easy to pick up and lift over obstacles. Doesn't use much fuel 1 gallon=102 miles. Easy to fix. Has the storage ability to carry things under the seat, the compartment in the back, and bags of items between my feet.

Several Totes to fill with fuel and add fuel stabilizer.

Walking

Bicycle-I have two, Easy to fix and has unlimited power

Small car used sporadic for larger things to do. Since it is a versatile vehicle I can remove the back seats and carry a scooter or bike in case something goes wrong while out and abandon it.

[edit on 26/11/2008 by toochaos4u]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

A horse is good but a mule is better. Smarter and easier keeper. Unfortunately you need a Mammoth Jack and a mare to reproduce. So maybe best to go with the Mammoth Jack. Actually I have Halflingers now all I need is the Mammoth Jack, a fore-cart and a few more attachments.

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Eureka! I've found it. This puppy is good for land and sea. I guess it's too much to ask that a rig like this can fly...although, he might have that covered; I wonder what's behind that padlock?

i427.photobucket.com...

i427.photobucket.com...

i427.photobucket.com...

This is a pretty good idea though. Some people should definately consider taking something that floats in a BO situation depending on your location. My family lives in S. Florida and if the SHTF and they have to Bug Out, I told them to get on a boat and head South. Let Cuba and Mexico deal with a little role reversal for a change.

Here's another goody I'd love to have just to have let alone it's potential as a mean motor scooter. Especially with the right co-pilot.

i427.photobucket.com...

The undertaker

[edit on 26-11-2008 by The Undertaker]

posted on Nov, 26 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
We don't have much of a road system anyways up here..Soooo we'd go back back to dog teams in the winter and river travel in the summer..Thats how they did it for years..I doubt if my 4x4 chevy 3/4 ton diesel truck would get far with no fuel..Sure we've got all kinds of oil, but without a refinery or any way to get out of the ground [actually frozen tundra] it doesn't do us much good. I like the horse idea,but we don't have much for grazing ,the only horses that thrive up here are small siberian ponies and they don't ride them, more of a pack animal.. Time to build a dogsled///

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by rickyrrr

RRR is absolutely right '
'

A safe place to stay and supplies are the only thing you need. But for those wanting to get to the safe places you will need your vehicle with xtra fuel tanks and I.D. to prove you don't belong in the city and are just going home.

I live in a rural area of America and know of many people who have purchased homes/acreage in remote areas and are ready to "bug out" when the time comes.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
In my opinion BOV should be broken into two categories. First would be the immediate need vehicle. Second would be the long term need vehicle.

In my opinion at least in the states my immediate need vehicle to get away would have to be the jeep. Either wrangler or considering the size of my family A Cherokee would do. Which ever jeep must have the 4.0 straight 6. good on fuel and pretty bulletproof, for what it is. They will go threw just about any thing. they love to climb steep hills.

Long term need vehicle at least for my family would have to be the lowly bicycle. faster then walking takes no fossil fuel easily repairable and not an issue if you have to abandon it because they are easily replaced.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I love my Jeep Wrangler... The five ton I had in the military... And rounding out my MUST HAVE vehicles to survive... A donkey.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I'm ok with the cars I have

My wife drives a trailblazer SS with a corvette engine and awd. I would pack it up along with the Kayaks and GTFO out of dodge. I would have her drive the SUV and I would drive out on my Hayabusa to scout ahead and make sure she wont get into trouble. It's not well shielded but It can get into tight places and gets decent gas mileage when under 110 MPH( between 20and 50MPG).

I do agree that the ultimate is some type of large boat like a sail boat.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Remeber while some of these choices are good, you have to think about getting parts, its not going to run forever ( being you can get fuel).
I would suggest a older Chevy or ford 4x4 truck. There are tons of them in the back of many farmers houses that they wore the motor out, but will be a mine for used parts.
Its not like you can run down to your local Napa and order something..
You will have to pick something that you can easily find parts, tires and other items for, something that you know in your area there are many.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join