It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just wondering, why do so many of you seem to hate Jesus?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I just can't bring myself to believe that Jesus ever existed. As far as I know no one has ever found records of a Jesus of Nazareth from around 2000 years ago.
People hate "Jesus" because they mistakenly equate him with the evil doings of the Church in his name for hundreds of years.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
I honestly was seriously curious as to why so many people seem to hate Jesus, attack Jesus, and just the overall negativity from most people when his name is brought up. It's rather interesting the responses brought forth so far.

Seriously, I think this thread is generally a fair take on the issue. People tend to have very little issue with Jesus or even the bulk of his message. As I've said already, what's to "hate"? A lot of is 'good stuff'. I've never really come across anyone claiming to hate Jesus, only people who claim to hate Christians. It's a big difference and people, generally, can and make that difference.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I don't hate Jesus but I get the feeling he, and his church, hate me. Seems everything I do in life contradicts his teachings and therefore I'm doomed to be cast into the fires of hell!
I have a child out of wedlock so I'm doomed. I drink so I'm doomed. I occasionally blaspheme (at the moment who doesn't?) so I'm doomed. I have unpure thoughts so I'm doomed. Its ridiculous!
I think the church and me have come to a mutual understanding.. . I don't go, except for funerals, weddings and christenings; and it doesn't bother me with it's outdated rules governing modern day life.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
I don't hate Jesus but I get the feeling he, and his church, hate me. Seems everything I do in life contradicts his teachings and therefore I'm doomed to be cast into the fires of hell!
I have a child out of wedlock so I'm doomed. I drink so I'm doomed. I occasionally blaspheme (at the moment who doesn't?) so I'm doomed. I have unpure thoughts so I'm doomed. Its ridiculous!
I think the church and me have come to a mutual understanding.. . I don't go, except for funerals, weddings and christenings; and it doesn't bother me with it's outdated rules governing modern day life.
He doesn't hate you. His so called followers and their perverted modern Church do.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
I'm not all that crazy about the philosophy of Jesus, to be honest with you. I think that by suggesting that justice will only be found after death tends to make people more passive than they should be in a lot of situations. You can't do anything about injustice in this life, so you should sit back and let death even things out? I prefer to have people organize and take action for themselves, rather than leave it up to death or some savior who is going to make everything better.

Which is also why I'm not crazy about the whole notion of a "messiah," who is going to come and rescue people from their bad situation, like a damsel in distress. First of all, I don't consider myself a sinner, and I don't like other people telling me I am. I don't think it's possible for a person to be responsible for their actions if they're placed in a situation they don't have control over. If "God" wanted me not to sin, he could have made me a cloud or a rock. Or given me the option. But that didn't happen. So as far as anybody coming to save me from my sins goes, thanks, but no thanks. Who asked you? Not me.

I personally don't have too much of a problem with Jesus's sorcerer/ necromancer works, as written about in the Bible, although I could see where some people might. All that demon casting and raising people from the dead by controlling demons might be seen by some people as nasty magic, even though it might not technically be "witchcraft."

But I guess like many of the responders here, I don't like Christians (and I lose the term loosely, I've never met a Christian who wasn't a Biblical cherry-picker, and according to the New Testament, a Christian wouldn't even own a computer to post with) telling me that I'm bad and wrong and a lesser person because I don't believe what they do. The minute you define yourself as a Christian, you are essentially saying, "I'm different from you, because I believe in this thing, and not only that, I'm better than you, because I know the real truth and the right thing, and you don't!" You may not think that, but that the logical implication. You're right because you believe in Jesus, and I'm wrong because I don't, so you're better than me. QED

Over the years, my opinion toward this attitude has kind of mellowed. It used to make me a bit angry, but now I see it as an unfortunate consequence of ignorant people trying to be helpful and failing. Some people just don't have the mental capacity to figure out how to deal with the world, or people, and they need a book to help them. I guess as long as they're not out trying to burn me at the stake, I'm okay with that. Even if it's a little irritating for somebody to come on this forum or anywhere else and spout aphorisms and parrot something they heard from their preacher as "the Truth" in an attempt to show me the error of my ways. Tell me about the splinter in my eye after you've removed the log from your own. A wise person said something like that a while back.

[edit on 18-11-2008 by Nohup]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

domincus:

AMEN! AMEN!

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Trauma

Trauma:

Just an excuse..........

Grandma

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:36 PM
link   
i dont hate him i just think hes about as real as the tooth fary. Although what i do hate is how some people try to ram him down your throat

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Mintwithahole.

Mintwithahole:

Jesus came to show us none of us are doomed....unless we want to be....
He came to show us His Father's love, mercy, forgiveness, and grace bestowed upon us because He loves us.

Peace
Grandma

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by aginstitall

Dear aginstitall:

Do you ever think that maybe, just maybe Jesus is trying reach out to you

Peace,
Grandma

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I never met Jesus. I cannot honestly say how I would have liked him. The problem is not Jesus, it is the people supposedly living his word. The abusive, sexually deviant, hypocritical, rascist, ethnocentric, pushy, self-rightious, judgemental....etc. You get the point. There are more than enough of those people standing behind their "devotion to Jesus" to really make you sick of hearing that guys name.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

I do not hate Jesus, I hate what has been done in his name. I admire anyone who looks to live there lives in a more peaceful loving way. Or be "like Jesus" or Gandhi or Buddha or any non violent enlightened person. Thank you for your time.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Dear Nohup:

You are still a very angry person. I am a Christian to me that means I am not different then you or anyone else. I do choose to follow Christ but you have the right not too. The Lord did give us free will. I am a sinner and no one wants to believe or be told they are a sinner. I am sorry you have had so many bad experiences in your life with those professing to be Christian. Please, don't judge all of us bad.
Thank you!

Grandma

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

Simple: It makes people feel intelligent when they are contrarian and go against cultural norms. Most ATS members are from western civilizations, and so hating what other people embrace makes them feel superior.

No, not so simple...

Handle the demographics however you would like - it appears you can do no harm with the information...

One reason why people are anti jesus is that despite a separation of church and state, policy is still implemented with a religious tone attached...no, not all policy, but enough to make one wonder...

In addition, the religious right seem to throw him and what he 'symbolizes' into the face of anyone that thinks differently...

Selective thinking at its worst...

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I do believe that Jesus was a real flesh and blood man that lived on this earth. I do not hate him.

However, I do not like organised religion and object to rabid religious fanatics of any persuasion that can not accept that others prefer to remain godless, or private about their spirituality. I am happy for people to have religion in their lives, it is just not my choice. Keep it to yourself...knock yourself out.

I do not need Jesus in my life to be a good moral person.

I grew up in a Catholic home and was educated in a Catholic college...I say no more.

take care
res

[edit on 18-11-2008 by resistancia]

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
A lot of people hold both Jesus and his followers to an impossibly high standard. Again, what they really had is the majority view---mocking it makes them feel "above average."

But that's Okay. He isn't offended in the least.

It don't matter to Jesus.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiterabbit85
I don't think that anyone hates "Jesus", as he doesn't exist, we hate people that try to explain everything they don't understand with some spiritual jargon rather than opening a book other than the bible.

So basically, you hate Christians. Well, at least you're honest.

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

don't know you brother...

religious experience/background...one sided, for sure!

there is more to this world than OUR experience...

ever heard of the "pentulum effect"

don't give up on HIM, ok?

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

I have a question that I have been pondering. Why do you have an avitar that is of Satan when he was cast to earth. You believe in Satan and not Jesus?

Granmda

posted on Nov, 18 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
Seems everything I do in life contradicts his teachings and therefore I'm doomed to be cast into the fires of hell!

Well, lets see here.

I've had my share of premarital sex. But I'm not doomed.

I drink sometimes. Not everyday, but I do enjoy a nice cold beer every now and then. But I'm not doomed.

I have my share of unpure thoughts. But I'm still not doomed.

I'm forgiven. Not doomed. Forgiven by Christ.

I have no idea why anyone would hate the one who was sent to redeem humankind.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join