It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.


The Coyne incident, Mansfield, Ohio, 1973

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

+92 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:54 AM
The crew of an Army Reserve helicopter (UH-1H), based in Cleveland, Ohio, was returning from Columbus, Ohio, at about 10:30 p.m.: it was a clear night with no moon, and they were cruising at 90 knots at an altitude of 2,500 feet above sea level.

The crew:
  • Lt. Arrigo Jezzi, 26 (at the controls from the left-hand seat)
  • Sgt. John Healey, 35, (flight medic, sat behind him).
  • Spec. 5 Robert Yanacek, 23 (crew chief, sat in the right rear seat)
  • Capt. Lawrence J. Coyne, 36 (commanding the flight, sat on the right front seat)
    This figure shows the places of the four helicopter crew members

    Lawrence J. Coyne

    The sighting of the crew:

    About 11:00 p.m. near Mansfield, Healey saw a red light off to the left(west) heading south. Three or four minutes later, Yanacek noticed a single steady red light on the eastern horizon, and reported it to Coyne. About 30 seconds later, Yanacek announced that the light appeared to be converging on the helicopter, and they all watched it warily.
    As the light continued its approach, Coyne grabbed the controls from Jezzi and began a powered descent of approximately 500 feet per minute. He made radio contact with Mansfield approach control, requesting information on possible jet traffic. After Mansfield acknowledged their transmission, radio contact was lost on both UHF and VHF.
    The red light appeared to be on a collision course, approaching at a speed estimated to be more than 600 knots. Coyne increased the rate of descent to 2,000 feet per minute until they reached about 1,700 feet, about 600 feet above the tree tops. With the unknown object about to ram them, the crewmen feared for their lives. Just as a collision appeared imminent, the light suddenly stopped and hovered above and in front of the helicopter. They saw a cigar-shaped, gray metallic appearing, domed object whose apparent size filled the entire windshield.

    What Captain Coyne saw through the helicopter windshield

    The object appeared solid, blotting out the stars behind it. It had a red light at the nose, a white light at the tail, and a distinctive green beam emanating from the lower part of the otherwise featureless "fuselage." The green beam swung up over the helicopter nose, through the windshield, and into the upper tinted window panels. The cockpit was bathed in intense green light. No noise or turbulence was noted. After a few seconds, the object accelerated and moved off to the west. Coyne and Healey reported that it then made a distinct 45 degree turn to the right, heading toward Lake Erie. While the object was still visible, Jezzi and Coyne both noted that the altimeter read 3,500 feet with a rate of climb of 1,000 feet per minute. Yet the collective (steering mechanism) was still in the full-down position set during the descent.
    As Coyne cautiously raised the collective, the helicopter continued climbing, as would be expected.
    At an indicated altitude of 3,800 feet Coyne finally felt that he had regained positive control.
    Then they felt a slight "bump." He descended to the previously assigned cruise altitude of 2,500 feet and made radio contact with Akron/Canton, which now was easily achieved. The remainder of the flight to Cleveland was routine.

    Drawing of the object made under Captain Coyne and Sergeant Yanacsek direction

    The sighting from the ground:

    At about 11:00 p.m., Mrs. Erma C. and four children were returning from Mansfield to their rural home southeast of town. As they drove south on Laver Road, they noticed a bright red light flying south. She turned the car eastward and continued on across the Charles Mill Reservoir, a distance of 3.6 miles, covered in about 5 minutes. At this point they saw to the east a red and green light, moving together, coming down rapidly toward them. At first they assumed it was a low-flying light plane, but changed their minds almost immediately. The red was too bright, especially compared to the green. They could not see any shape or, at first, hear any sound. When they stopped the car and got out to look, they heard the typical sounds of a helicopter. As they watched, the red light and the helicopter converged.
    After the red-lighted object stopped, the green light flared up. "When we got out, everything was green. I saw that thing and the helicopter." The witnesses agreed that the helicopter was green "because of the light from the thing up above... It was so bright that you couldn't see too far.
    Everything was green. The trees, the car, everything."
    The helicopter with the other object above and slightly ahead of it moved in tandem from southwest to northeast. Suddenly the green light went out and the object was gone. "When the light went out you couldn't see the object. And then the helicopter went northeast. Then we got back in the car and went on, and saw it [the helicopter] fly out over the lake."

    Drawing of the ground observation by investigators

    Jeanne Elias, 44, was watching the news at her home southeast of Mansfield just after 11:00 p.m. She recognized the sound of an Army helicopter approaching so loud and near that she feared it was going to crash into the house. The sound persisted for "a long time," and when it was over her son John, 14, called out from his room. He had been awakened by the sound, and then had observed a bright green light that lit up the bedroom. The light persisted long enough for him to realize that "there must be some kind of object right above the house, because it was coming in so heavy in my room."

    Drawing by Curt, aged 10, who saw the object from the ground

    Drawing by Camille, aged 11, who saw the object from the ground


    Investigator Jennie Zeidman conducted a time-line analysis, second-by second, showing that the object was continuously in view of the helicopter crew for at least five minutes. This duration and the witness descriptions both from the helicopter and the ground rules out the object being a meteor.

    The official report:

    AR 340-15: the proponent agency is The Adjutant General's Office.

    Near Midair Collision with UFO Report

    To: Commander Flight Operations Office
    DATE 23 Nov 73 Cmt 1
    83D USARCOM USAR Flight Facility
    ATTN: AHRCCG Cleveland Hopkins Airport Columbus Support Facility Cleveland, Ohio 44135

    1. On 18 October 1973 at 2305 hours in the vicinity of Mansfield, Ohio, Army Helicopter 68-15444 assigned to Cleveland USAR/FFAC encountered a near midair collision with a unidentified flying object. Four crewmembers assigned to the Cleveland USARFFAC for flying proficiency were on AFTP
    status when this incident occurred. The flight crew assigned was CPT Lawrence J. Coyne, Pilot in Command,1LT Arrigo Jozzi, Copilot, SSG Robert Yanacsek, Crew Chief, SSG John Healey,Flight Medio.
    All the above personnel are member of the 316th MED DET(HEL AMB). a tenant reserve unit of the Cleveland USAR/FFAC.

    2. The reported incident happened as follows: Army Helicopter 68-15444 was returning from Columbus, Ohio to Cleveland, Ohio and at 2305 hours east, south east of Mansfield Airport in the vicinity of Mansfield, Ohio while flying at an altitude of 2500 feet and on a heading of 030 degrees, SSG
    Yanacsek observed a red light on the east horizon,90 drgrees to the flight path of the helicopter.
    Approximately 30 seconds later, SSG Yanacsek indicated the object was converging on the helicopter at the same altitude at a airspeed in excess of 600 knots and on a midair collision heading.
    Cpt Coyne observed the converging object, took over the controls of the aircraft and initiated a power descent from 2500 feet to 1700 feet to avoid impact with the object. A radio call was initiated to Mansfield Tower who acknowledged the helicopter and was asked by CPT Coyne if there were any high performance aircraft flying in the vicinity of Mansfield Airport however there was no response received from the tower. The crew expected impact from the object instead, the object was observed to hesistate momontarily over the helicopter and then slowly continued on a westerly course accelerating at a high rate of speed, clear west of Mansfield Airport then turn 45 degree heading to the Northwest. Cpt Coyne indicated the altimeter read a 1000 fpm olimp and read 3500 feet with the collective in the full down position. The aircraft was returned to 2500 feet by CPT Coyne and flown back to Cleveland, Ohio. The flight plan was closed and the FAA Flight Service Station notified of the incident. The FSS told CPT Coyne to report the incident to the FAA GADO office a Cleveland Hopkins Airport Mr. Porter, 83d USARCOM was notified of the incident at 1530 hours on 19 Oct 73.

    3. This report has been read and attested to by the crewmembers of the aircraft with signatures acknowledgeing this report.

  • Lawrence J. Coyne [Signature]
  • Arrigo Jozzi [Signature]
  • Robert Yanacsek [Signature]
  • John Healey [Signature]

    DA FORM 2496

  • The article published in The Mansfield News Journal on November 4, 1973

    Incident named after pilot

    - Army Reserve helicopter pilot Capt. Lawrence Coyne is a military commander who doesn't believe in unidentified flying objects (UFOs) or little green spacemen. But after a near miss two weeks ago between his helicopter and a "big, gray, metallic-looking" object in the sky over Mansfield, he doesn't know what to think.

    I had to file an official report in detail to the Army on this thing,
    he said.
    Coyne is a member of the 316th Medical Detachment stationed at Cleveland Hopkins Airport. He was returning from Columbus at 11:10 p.m., Oct. 18, when the UFO showed up near where the Air National Guard has a squadron of jet fighters based. He said a check turned up that none of the unit's F-100 Super Saber Jets were in the air when the UFO appeared. Coyne said when he first encountered the UFO, his helicopter was cruising at 2,500 feet. He had the controls set for a 20-degree dive, but the craft climbed to 3,500 feet with no power.

    I had made no attempt to pull up,
    he said.

    There was no noise or turbulence, either.
    Coyne said a red light appeared on the eastern horizon, and was first spotted by his crew chief, Sgt. Robert Yanacsek.

    The light was traveling in excess of 600 knots,
    Coyne said.

    It came from the horizon to our aircraft in about 10 seconds. We were on a collision course.

    The pilot said he put his helicopter into a dive.

    At 1,700 feet I braced myself for the impact with the other craft,
    he said.

    It was coming from our right side. I was scared. There had been so little time to respond. The thing was terrifically fast.

    There was no crash.

    We looked up and saw it stopped right over us: it had a big, gray metallic-looking hull about 60 feet long. It was shaped like an airfoil or a streamlined fat cigar. There was a red light on the front. The leading edge glowed red a short distance back from the nose. There was a center dome. A green light at the rear reflected on the hull.

    Coyne said the green light swiveled like a spotlight and beamed through the canopy of his craft, bathing the cabin in green light. He said as he and members of the crew stared at the craft his helicopter began to climb without his guidance.

    I had made no attempt to pull up: all controls were set for a 20-degree dive. Yet we had climbed from 1,700 to 3,500 feet with no power in a couple of seconds with no g-forces or other noticeable strains.

    Coyne said the UFO finally moved off to the west and was gone.

    Coyne UH-1H Helicopter UFO Incident 1973

    Too bad there are neither some photos nor videos of this sighting: anyway, it's one of those very rare cases in which something was spotted from both air and ground. Basically, there aren't visual proofs, but at the same time there are some extremely reliable witnesses: and it's also something very close to a mid-air collision, as mentioned in the official report (Near Midair Collision with UFO).
    I would like to thank Steve Hammons, journalist, for being so kind to bring this case to my attention (BTW: his articles are always some VERY interesting reading).
    I would greatly appreciate any comment about this story.

  • /5juuzt
  • /5b4guy


  • Cincinnati Enquirer, October 22, 1973.

  • The Mansfield News Journal, November 4, 1973.

  • Jennie Zeidman, "Helicopter-UFO Encounter Over Ohio", Center for UFO Studies, Chicago, 1979.

  • Army Disposition Form incident report on case reproduced in Larry Fawcett and Barry Greenwood, Clear Intent, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, Prentice-Hall, p. 239, 1984.

  • MUFON 1989 International UFO Symposium Proceedings, Seguin, Texas, pp. 13-30.

  • UFO-Helicopter Close Encounter Over Ohio, Flying Saucer Review 22 (4), pp. 15-19.

  • International UFO Reporter, pp. 13-14, November-December 1988.

  • International UFO Reporter, pp. 17-18, March-April 1989.

  • News Journal, october 18, 2003.

    [edit on 6/11/2008 by internos]

  • posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:04 AM
    reply to post by internos

    Geeze Internos, now that is how to write a thread! Amazing amount of information regarding what appears to be a heavily documented event within the armed forces. I applaud the links and info and need to dig further but as a relative newbie to this the thread makes a very convincing case. Supporting witness accounts along with the military transcripts and the pilot himself are all believable, on initial glance. Great work and thank you - I have a lot of reading to do!
    Edit to add: Rod Sterling does add a nice touch to the video.


    [edit on 6-11-2008 by ColoradoJens]

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:36 AM
    what a great thread. I gotta check this out in more detail later -- i just skimmed it there.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:38 AM
    Starred and flagged.

    I'm a cynic, looking for holes in this, but I can't find any,

    Thanks for a great post.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:54 AM
    Now that is an amazing post of info.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:04 AM
    Star and flag for this thread!

    I did a google-search of coyne +ufo + mansfield and stumbled upon Philip Klass (as always?) who once "said the crew misidentified a meteor or fireball, and suggested the ground witnesses were lying". Quotation from

    Civilians on the ground AND the crew of a military helicopter misidentify a meteor/fireball and/or make up a story? Not in my world.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:09 AM
    reply to urdead

    I agree. When was the last time a comet scanned a helicopter in green light after coming to a stop infront of it? I'd like to know more about that as it sounds like they got veri-scoped.


    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:35 AM
    I'm wondering if the chopper would have crashed if it wasn't for the UFO stopping it's decent, they were on what seems like a pretty steep dive.
    Seems a bit weird since it caused them to dive in the first place, unless it was playing chicken with them and it went a bit far.

    Either way, great stuff internos!
    Love ya work

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:39 AM
    reply to post by internos

    Beautiful Job on presenting this case Internos

    i have read about this incident briefly but your report here is second to none and this is a confirmed UFO report from a pilot that actually had to report it.

    these type of pilot reports are the most convincing and certainly puts an end to the question ...are there really UFO's ?

    starred and flagged

    [edit on 6-11-2008 by easynow]

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:43 AM
    Star and Flaf for this mate

    A bit of the change from all the other BS we see plaguing the threads these days.

    Its an interesting case with mulitple witnessesincluding military pilots. I dont think we could ask for more evidence on this one

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:43 AM
    reply to post by internos

    Great stuff! I have never heard of this incident. Thanks for this thread and good job!

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:01 PM
    reply to post by internos

    Thank you for posting the information on this great case. The witnesses are top notch and everything was documented. If one looks beyond the hoaxes and frauds, one will find some great cases.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:09 PM
    Well done always, you came through with the goods.

    And yes, despite having no video this still seems to be quite a sighting...and the witnesses seem credible.

    And the drawings from multiple witnesses seem rather consistent...

    Good stuff...

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:28 PM
    reply to post by internos

    Wow! Amazing thread. I had never heard of this incident. Seems like it can only be debunked by resorting to new unsupported claims.

    If we must deal with the reality that something as described really existed, then what could that object be? Since we could not see inside it, two plausible scenarios up for consideration include terrestrial secret high performance craft and extraterrestrial.

    This may be speculation on my part, but it appears as though it intended to approach the heli only for "curiosity" reasons (or simply reasons other than hostile intent) and that when the chopper started diving to evade it, it somehow intervened to prevent further descent (and crash) causing the helicopter to gain altitude, apparently putting the helicopter at a similar altitude as it had before the encounter. It is as if whoever or whatever was behind the controls of the object did not anticipate that the pilot of the helicopter would react that way. One would imagine that a human pilot inside the UFO would have been able to anticipate this reaction and not proceed that way. In fact, a test pilot for a secret craft would probably not fly anywhere near other aircraft.

    This alone makes it very hard for me to believe that this UFO could have possibly been a terrestrial secret military experiment.


    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:31 PM
    What a great thread, Internos! Excellent reading, and once again one of those well documented cases with multiple and also very credible witnesses. Another case that makes it very difficult indeed to deny that UFOs are real phenomenas in our skies.

    It also sent shivers down my spine when I read this:

    While the object was still visible, Jezzi and Coyne both noted that the altimeter read 3,500 feet with a rate of climb of 1,000 feet per minute. Yet the collective (steering mechanism) was still in the full-down position set during the descent.

    That sure must have been a scary experience, being out of control that way!

    Thanks again, Internos, GOOD job as always.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:41 PM
    A very well written thread

    But ultimately it's just another "flying saucer shines light on something" story.

    I'm afraid we are long past the point where we need some real physical evidence.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:08 PM
    flagged starred =]

    interesting... my grampa told me all about it ;]

    dam army cover ups.. they think we cant handle the truth...

    ::shakes head::

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 02:39 PM
    maybe as the craft passed over the copter it's gravity based lift system affected it? It could be some form of gravity well manipulation or other blackbook / alien tech.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:01 PM
    Whoo hoo! Flagged for sure!

    The red light appeared to be on a collision course, approaching at a speed estimated to be more than 600 knots. Coyne increased the rate of descent to 2,000 feet per minute until they reached about 1,700 feet, about 600 feet above the tree tops. With the unknown object about to ram them, the crewmen feared for their lives. Just as a collision appeared imminent, the light suddenly stopped and hovered above and in front of the helicopter. They saw a cigar-shaped, gray metallic appearing, domed object whose apparent size filled the entire windshield.

    Now what kind of meteor can do those kinds of maneuvers?
    I remember seeing that drawing of the ground observationsomewhere but never paid any attention to it. Even without much physical evidence, the cases prior the eighties turn out to be the most interesting. Make you wanna check back the ‘ancient’ cases again.

    posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:02 PM
    WOOT! Another "green light" UFO. My own childhood UFO experience included an intense green light that was able to shine into the house through the roof.

    Whatever the green light was, they may have stopped using it sometime in the 70's because I haven't seen any later "green light" reports. (Now watch Internos go find some

    Nice report, Internos.

    P. S. Who knew swamp gases and Venus could mess with helicopters like this!!

    new topics

    top topics

    <<   2  3  4 >>

    log in