It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coyne incident, Mansfield, Ohio, 1973

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
All I can say is that this incident MUST of happened due to the credible witnesses and reports.......Period.

Now the question is:

From what country was this craft from?
Why did it seemingly head directly at the chopper?
How did the craft seemingly disrupt the choppers flight pattern?
Could this craft be from outer space?

Thank you Internos

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Always love to see stories of the unexplained that has happened near my home. I only live about 15 minutes north of Mansfield. Now I guess I better just keep looking up to the skies at night.

Very nice post!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
You really do raise the bar when it comes to presenting a topic. Great stuff as usual. Compelling testimony gives huge credibility to this case. Star & flag.... an honour.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
hmm I wonder if the green light is some kind of scanning device. It is frustrating for us (humans) to wander around and to be tagged and studied like animals and we can to nothing about it.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Mansfield isn't far at all from Wright Patterson AFB... read into this what you may. Jets could've been scrambled and have intercept within a few minutes. There is plenty of radar in that airspace. Whatever was there, the AF most certainly already knew about it.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Excellent post, Internos! Like many others here I hadn't heard of this case before, and you seem to have captured it from every angle. Very comprehensive, and incredibly easy to read. You've really raised the bar for quality posts here on ATS.

Thanks for linking your references as well. The last link in particular was incredibly interesting (the foia document), not only for the Coyne incident, but the Iran Intercept. An F-4 investigates an incredibly brightly lit object, and is chased away by a secondary object that exits from the primary object and returns once the F-4 breaks off. Amazing stuff.

As for the green light, I'm with defiler, it sounds exactly like some kind of scan.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Yes very awesome thread Star and Flag..Im still a fence sitter about UFO's but you are making a true believer out of me.

The other night on Discovery I saw a doc about goverment tested/flown flying saucers called Project SilverBug at Wright Patt AFB in Ohio, It was interesting but Im not thinking they saw a goverment sanctioned project that night. Im really interested in finding out more...

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I just want to i just want to thank EVERYONE for all their responses to my thread

I'm very happy you enjoyed it, your nice words are very encouraging and make me feel nice

I add the link to the report from here (FOIA):
FOIA: Rpt on near miss betwn Helicopter and UFO

FOIA: Rpt on near miss betwn Helicopter and UFO
Ohio_Oct_18_1973.pdf
Near mid-air collision with UFO report
Report on near miss between an Army Helicopter and a UFO with interviews with helicopter crew
Document date: 1973-11-25
Department: US Army
Author: USAF Flight Fac. Clev. Hopk. Airport
Document type: Report
pages: 1

Download | Ohio_Oct_18_1973.pdf - .PDF file, 312 Kb

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
To think that they came form an advanced civilization you would think that the design of their spaceships would be anything futuristic but the best they could come up with is something from Ultraman or Space-Cop Gaban or Thunderbirds.

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Its an interesting case with mulitple witnessesincluding military pilots. I dont think we could ask for more evidence on this one

Why? Why would it be enough? Dear lord man, there wasn't even a decent photograph,did the yardstick for irrefutable proof has suddenly shrunken to a
nanometer?

Eyewitness accounts, drawings from 11 year olds, anecdotal hearsay is NEVER enough. We need CONCRETE evidence. From the stories I've read and heard about this case, I am not impressed.

This is not enough. There should be physical proof for this to mean anything.

This STILL doesn't prove anything extra-terrestrial. The best explanation that anyone can come up with is UNEXPLAINED. Story ends. Nothing more can be said.

UNEXPLAINED

But using Occam's Razor, there was a higher likelihood that the pilots were intoxicated.

[edit on 7-11-2008 by SkepticalSpectacle]

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticalSpectacle
To think that they came form an advanced civilization you would think that the design of their spaceships would be anything futuristic but the best they could come up with is something from Ultraman or Space-Cop Gaban or Thunderbirds.

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Its an interesting case with mulitple witnessesincluding military pilots. I dont think we could ask for more evidence on this one

Why? Why would it be enough? Dear lord man, there wasn't even a decent photograph,did the yardstick for irrefutable proof has suddenly shrunken to a
nanometer?

Eyewitness accounts, drawings from 11 year olds, anecdotal hearsay is NEVER enough. We need CONCRETE evidence. From the stories I've read and heard about this case, I am not impressed.

This is not enough. There should be physical proof for this to mean anything.

This STILL doesn't prove anything extra-terrestrial. The best explanation that anyone can come up with is UNEXPLAINED. Story ends. Nothing more can be said.

UNEXPLAINED

But using Occam's Razor, there was a higher likelihood that the pilots were intoxicated.

Good lord, you take skeptical to the max..

Next you will be saying that all parties were in cahoots.

Yes, it's unexplained but to at the end make a suggestion that it was contrived is pushing beyond skeptical. I'm sure the Army would have been more happy to report a drunk pilot than reporting a pilot seeing what could be alien craft.

With the level of detail (thanks Internos) shown it's almost without doubt that something did happen as described by all the persons involved. With the number of people who have no connection reporting exactly the same thing from differing vantage points it's clear something was there and it wasn't a normal aircraft.

What it was is not for me to judge but I'd look upwards..

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 04:48 AM
link   
All right, guys, nothing to see here. Just a bunch of aliens. Move along now.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mclaneinc

That would be a much much more likely explanation then an advanced alien that wasted an energy that could drain a star to come here to do what? Play chicken with a helicopter?

Remember, Occam's Razor.

Originally posted by MONEYMUFFINS
All right, guys, nothing to see here. Just a bunch of aliens. Move along now.

Okay. Show me evidence to connect the ALLEGED incident to a bunch of aliens? Really from where do people come up with this explanation? From their paranoid imagination?

This alien business is all a bunch of hocus pocus because nothing conclusive has ever come up other than anecdotal hearsay, hoaxes, and people selling books and DVD.

And this incident happened for how long now, more than 35 years?

So why isn't there anything conclusive ever came out of it?

Why?

One thing that I noticed with these alleged 'eyewitness sightings' is that the 'spaceships' design changes according to pop culture and alien movies of their respective eras.

In the 50's to 60s you got those cheesy design ranging from shiny pie tin saucers to portholes that you'd find on a submarine. Late 60s to 70s you got those UFOs with design from movies and cartoons of that era. 90s we had those triangles from the X-Files and now we got the Chad drone types and Hawaiian UFO types.

These people were confabulating what they saw on something that they have seen in movies!

I call this whole UFO claptrap DEBUNKED!

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I love a good ufo incident with lasers... sounds legit for sure, seems like the ufo scanned the army copter and took off, probably gathering intel or something... must be damn near indestructible to want to mess with military choppers right in their face like that, lol

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticalSpectacle

I don't think you've debunked anything.

I've heard the argument that people who see UFOs are influenced by movies lots of times but it doesn't hold water.

Where are the reports of UFOs that look like the Enterprise? Or the Milennium Falcon or Tie Fighters? Where are the Borg cubes? Lots of Sci-Fi movies have ships that seem to be of the futuristic 'planes-in-space' type (e.g. the 70's Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers) but these are never reported. The shuttles in Star Trek or the V series look more like space buses and have large cockpits at the front but these are never seen either.

The form of reported UFOs is remarkably consistent - disc or cigar seem to be the main type. Only comparatively recently have we had reports of Flying Triangles and the rumour is that these are terrestrial emulations of extra-terrestrial technology.

I think that the early saucer movies borrowed their imagery from the reports NOT the other way around.

Oh and just saying 'Occam's Razor' doesn't refute this case as it only deals with likelihood not the actual truth. And then again what you think likely (unrelated people conspiring to engineer a UFO report for no apparent good reason) is not what I would call likely.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   

That would be a much much more likely explanation then an advanced alien that wasted an energy that could drain a star to come here to do what? Play chicken with a helicopter?

Er no, No more than I think they flew here to watch a football game. But if we follow your path of reason and ultimate knowledge then we should be slapping the old USAF around the head with a rubber chicken for being stupid enough to bother to release a report on it.

Obviously you know something they didn't...

Okay. Show me evidence to connect the ALLEGED incident to a bunch of aliens? Really from where do people come up with this explanation? From their paranoid imagination?

This alien business is all a bunch of hocus pocus because nothing conclusive has ever come up other than anecdotal hearsay, hoaxes, and people selling books and DVD.

ALL?....I totally agree that there are many who make a living out of it and joined the bandwagon for the money in the pocket, people like Nick Pope our ex UK MOD person. Amazing how he had his post and then when it went he suddenly became a UFO expert who would go to the opening of a letter to get some limelight.

But there are some hardcore people who could make far more money just being what their normal occupation is or face total ridicule and the chance of no work just by speaking out.

90s we had those triangles from the X-Files and now we got the Chad drone types and Hawaiian UFO types.

The triangle UFO from the 1st or was it second X-Files story was based on an Area 51 report which makes the media stealing a new idea from a witness I think.

I call this whole UFO claptrap DEBUNKED!

LOL....All those sightings so easily debunked, all in a nights work eh.....

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Er no, No more than I think they flew here to watch a football game. But if we follow your path of reason and ultimate knowledge then we should be slapping the old USAF around the head with a rubber chicken for being stupid enough to bother to release a report on it.

Yep. It's called logical thinking and the usage of Occam's Razor. Kick all the hocus pocus out of the window and use information and evidence of the mundane that has been documented in the past : Crazy people, people confabulating stuff to feel special, post-traumatic-stress-syndrome, people getting drunk, little kids with wild imaginations etc etc

Hocus pocus is something without evidence: people claiming to have seen UFOs but ZERO evidence, people who said to have talked with god, jesus, santa claus, the tooth fairy, reptilians, but ZERO EVIDENCE whatsoever other
than their accounts.

ALL?....I totally agree that there are many who make a living out of it and joined the bandwagon for the money in the pocket, people like Nick Pope our ex UK MOD person. Amazing how he had his post and then when it went he suddenly became a UFO expert who would go to the opening of a letter to get some limelight.

But there are some hardcore people who could make far more money just being what their normal occupation is or face total ridicule and the chance of no work just by speaking out.

Like I said people need to feel special. People lie to feel special. People lie to sell books dvd. People lie for their 15 minutes of fame. It has happened before. There's evidence. Aliens: NO EVIDENCE.

The triangle UFO from the 1st or was it second X-Files story was based on an Area 51 report which makes the media stealing a new idea from a witness I think.

It all started with Edgar Fouche. He has ZERO EVIDENCE and ZERO CREDIBILITY.

People piggybacked on his story and X-Files. Didn't anyone noticed that the sigthings of triangular craft peaked during the late 90s? Yep it's because these people piggybacked on these hoaxes and people want to be part of the UFO culture. "I've seen a UFO! OOOooooo I feel sooooo special!!"

LOL....All those sightings so easily debunked, all in a nights work eh.....

Yep. It's easy. No evidence to support the claims of Aliens. Use Occam's Razor to kick out all the nonsense and use what's probable. Easy.

Too bad some people are too enured in their ignorance to use such simple methods.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarrsAttax
reply to post by SkepticalSpectacle

I don't think you've debunked anything.

I've heard the argument that people who see UFOs are influenced by movies lots of times but it doesn't hold water.

Where are the reports of UFOs that look like the Enterprise? Or the Milennium Falcon or Tie Fighters? Where are the Borg cubes? Lots of Sci-Fi movies have ships that seem to be of the futuristic 'planes-in-space' type (e.g. the 70's Battlestar Galactica or Buck Rogers) but these are never reported. The shuttles in Star Trek or the V series look more like space buses and have large cockpits at the front but these are never seen either.

The form of reported UFOs is remarkably consistent - disc or cigar seem to be the main type. Only comparatively recently have we had reports of Flying Triangles and the rumour is that these are terrestrial emulations of extra-terrestrial technology.

I think that the early saucer movies borrowed their imagery from the reports NOT the other way around.

Oh and just saying 'Occam's Razor' doesn't refute this case as it only deals with likelihood not the actual truth. And then again what you think likely (unrelated people conspiring to engineer a UFO report for no apparent good reason) is not what I would call likely.

Eh, no.

I meant movies that involves alien UFOS, not scifi space travelling/space wars stuff.

For example some of the accounts of UFOs has a suspicious resemblemce to the Speilbergs movie "Close Encounter with the Third Kind" accounts of colourful lights.

Ufos with port holes ala Adamski like cheesy space alien in cheesy movies.

The rest of them were all from cheesy alien invasion movies of the 50s and 60s - pie tins stuck upside down with each other. Tea saucers spinning which is one of the most ridiculous accounts I've heard. I guess the aliens were too giddy from their craft spinning that's why their space ships wobble like tops.

They confabulated based on what they've seen on movies. If they were all real, where's the evidence?

WHERE?

After 60 years nothing has come up. NOTHING. not a single debris.

It's all a hoax. If you want to refute what I just said present physical evidence. Present physical proof.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Kahungu runs into the village, out of breath and both scared and excited. "I saw it! I saw it!" he cries repeately as he gets within earshot. The villagers gather around and he tells his story, which is similar to many others.

The large black thing was shaped sort of like a big-headed fish, with something like fins that moved too fast to be seen spinning in the air above it over both its head and tail. It produced a strong wind and a loud, unusual noise almost like a thumping heartbeat. It moved in the air as easily as ever a fish swam in the water, and behind its large clear eyes were .. people! People like the villagers but with pale skin and oddly colored hair.

A few of the villagers follow Kahungu back to the scene, but there is nothing to be found. The wind-whipped grasses have already recovered and the areas of bare dirt show only Kahungu's footprints. Despite a search, no sign of the sky beast's presence can be found. One of the younger villagers suggests that Kahungu has accidentally chewed on the wrong plant, and there is some laughter.

Later that night around the fire, the Elder dismisses Kahungu's sighting with a wave of one hand and a shake of his head. "All the many years I have been Elder," he tells them, "never has there been any proof of this skyfish. It flies without wings and makes no sound or cry except a heartbeat louder than a man's shout? It leaves no dropping nor waters the ground, never sheds skin, hair, or feathers, and it is said that our best arrows and spears do not harm it; never has even a drop of blood been found. I am sorry, Kahungu, but it can not be real. Perhaps you were dreaming while awake."

Meanwhile, a few hundred miles and worlds away, the helicopter pilot and his scientist passengers are sharing a few beers and chuckling about the reaction of the dumb savage they accidentally overflew while assessing changes in distribution of plant life that might point to climate change.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Yep. It's called logical thinking and the usage of Occam's Razor. Kick all the hocus pocus out of the window and use information and evidence of the mundane that has been documented in the past : Crazy people, people confabulating stuff to feel special, post-traumatic-stress-syndrome, people getting drunk, little kids with wild imaginations etc etc

Hocus pocus is something without evidence: people claiming to have seen UFOs but ZERO evidence, people who said to have talked with god, jesus, santa claus, the tooth fairy, reptilians, but ZERO EVIDENCE whatsoever other than their accounts.

So, that whole experience was total and utter vivid imagination on the point of all involved. That's what you are saying right?

4 military pilots / passengers, all drunk or high or semi insane, people on the ground also suffer this mass hysteria event. The military also buy into the mass hysteria and bother to investigate it.

So lets see, the pilots did this to feel special...Hmmmm

I'd bet they would be more caring about being paid and medically tested for such an outrageous claim. I can't see what was in it for them to actually report it, a prank like this could have cost them their jobs and future lively hood, I mean as seen on TV nutcase follows you around especially then.

Also, you keep saying zero evidence???

Sorry, there's plenty of radar and other monitored data out there which people cannot assign an answer to but because Mr ET has not plonked down in your garden and greeted you in plaedian (ok, I'm more joking here) then there's no proof things exist.

What troubles me in all of this is that it's perfectly acceptable to talk about GOD and believe in god and worship god yet there's no evidence of him in all honesty, it's all word of mouth and parchment.

But if you say but the Bible and most religion have clear pointers both pictorially and text wise to UFO's then all hell breaks loose.

Amazing that....So you can believe in an unseen being with no proof but if you dare believe that we are the only superior life form to go any where in space then you are a loon.

Also, to be a skeptic you have to be able to say there might be something to all of this but no one is showing proof, so until then I'll be skeptical. You on the other hand just deny anything exists point blank, there's no if's or but's just a big fat no.

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Starred and flagged, another interesting case and well put informative post by OP! A question though, how is it craft reported seem to be reported as sleeker/streamlined more frequently the more recent the case - perhaps evidence of an increase in tech?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join