It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can the civil rights group pack up and go home now?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mls11.11
complaints about racism aren't going to stop untill a klansman gets on his knees and licks my toilet bowl clean, and then scrubs out any left over residue with his hat.

why would you wish a klansman to clean your toilet bowl? A burning desire to enforce racially-based servitude on another for percieved wrongs in your life? get a bloody grip!

[edit on 5-11-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Race will continue to be an issue and I also expect it to become worse. Let's also make no mistake about it, RACE was an issue in this election. I can name 10 Black men right now who went out and voted for the first time yesterday for Obama for one reason ONLY.....

"We (Black people) got to stick together"

I placed it into quotes because it is a direct quote. They (a warehouse full of works) had all decided to vote Obama based on nothing else but race. They didnt care one bit about his policies or agenda and they did not care to know them. They only cared cause he is "black".

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
Anyone who disagrees with him will be a racist, and so on and so forth. Everything will be about race now I'm afraid.

Race relations are going to be worse than they ever have been before.

I have been attacked by more than ten of my "peers" on Facebook because i dont blindly support obama.

after about three messages i am able to show them why obamas plans are insane, and with no other outlet to disagree with me, they yank out the race card. funny thing is i never mention race myself.

to say EVERYONE who doesn't like obama is racist, is incredibly racist in and of its self.

I would think that a lady vice pres would have been just as good for America, but apparently that means "I love palin" which is ALSO untrue

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by xxpigxx
reply to post by HunkaHunka

So where is my White Entertainment Television? White Starz? Perhaps extra points on my college application because I am white?

Well you should have a chat with the generation which enacted Jim Crow Laws, Segregation, and even further back, Slavery.

Keep in mind, my Father in-law suffered under segregation in this country. It's not so far back in the past.

I know . . . I need reparations from the Inquisition, since I am pretty sure some of my family was killed in it.

You should chat up Spain about that then, because they were the kingdom behind that.

While we are talking about it though... methinks having elected a Black President is probably the best Reparation anyone could ask for.

Perhaps I could get an awesome job beating out more qualified black people because they need to fill their white person quota?

Civil Rights my ass

I think you just showed yours.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Aww . . . did I hurt your feelings?

All your post does is prove my point.

Thanks for playing though

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
my my my the race issue certainly is flaring up and in a big way it seems.

now from my perspective this is how i see things. jesse jackson and his ilk SHOULD be out of a job. not just because obama has been elected, but because black people really dont need them. part of what holds some black people back is attitude and mindset. if you convince people long enough they are victims of (insert injustice here) even if its exaggerated or made up they will believe it and act like it. they adopt a sense of entitlement along with a sense of defeatism. these combine to ensure they dont really progress sense A) they feel they cant and even if they did they're convinced "the man" is going to send them packing back to the cotton fields, B) feel that they are owed something when they really arent. it also ensures you have job security.

im sure there will be the brainwashed masses who will use the kneejerk reaction of "if you dont like obama you're a racist" nonsense. this is akin to someone saying that if you dont support the war on terror you dont love america. its preposterous! i support the "war" on terror BUT, i have a big problem with how it is being executed and in that regard i dont support it. i dont like obama mostly for one reason, his pick of VP. thats about it. that doesnt make me a racist and even if i didnt like obama as president elect that still wouldnt make a racist. IMO people who makes these types of remarks are usually people who A) cannot tolerate differing opinions B) are intellectually lazy people.

i think people also forget this is a free country we live in so even if someone doesnt like obama because he is part black that is still their right. people are allowed to think whatever they want even if we think its ignorant. to try and supress that pretty much makes you a part of what you claim to be against. people need to learn to be consistent in their thinking and behavior. you cant just say its ok for people to say whatever they want so long as it parallels what you think feel or believe and its not ok when it goes against what you think feel and believe. thats not how things work and never will. look back in history who believed that such mentality was ok and you'll find mass murder, unjust laws, megalomaniacs and dictatorship.

it wouldnt surprise me if people were accused of racism even if they voted for the guy. why? because they voted for him over issues, not because of his color. i know that sounds absurd but completely within the realm of possiblility given that people will accuse you of anything jsut because they can. weird but true. for some people, color is everything, its the only thing. their world revolves around the color of skin and they cant possibly imagine living a life that isnt skin color centric. i cant imagine living a life that is color centric but it does happen. the best you can do is ignore the comments from them and keep moving. people are entitled to think whatever they want.

to be honest i dont know what's going to happen with the issue of race in this country but i do think there needs to be a truly open dialog in order to discuss it and deal with it. i think there needs to be an open exchange of ideas WITHOUT being decried a racist because you simply cannot discuss race with kid gloves on. people have been afraid or too confrontational about it, there needs to be a balance of straight forward talk and yet respect for other people and their views. and above all else there needs to be the respect to agree to disagree without getting childish or making wild accusations and blowing things way out of proportion.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by xxpigxx

Nah, you didn't hurt my feelings. What in my post gave you that idea?

And how exactly did my post prove *your* point?

You seem to be rather angry about something... not sure what though.

Seriously, you should learn to let go of your hate and embrace the world around you.

[edit on 6-11-2008 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka
Well you should have a chat with the generation which enacted Jim Crow Laws, Segregation, and even further back, Slavery.

i always find it fun and worthwhile to point out that there were plenty of white slaves shipped from ireland. whats more, they were treated worse on arrival because they cost less. there were lots of white slaves. slaves were taken from spain and later from mexico, they were taken from china and south east asia. there were slaves of every colour and creed, in different places in different industries doing different things.

you see, slavery isn't a race issue, it's a colonial issue. black people were enslaved because their country of origin was colonised, not because they were black. they were made slaves for money, not from hate. the slaves were chosen based on class, not because they were black, white, brown or yellow, it's a class issue, an economic issue and a colonialist issue and always has been and still is.

race issues are mythical and designed to cause division in the lower classes.

[edit on 6/11/08 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

kinda like join up or die (exclusion may as well be death) very intersting point!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
What does the future now hold for the poor souls who's every sole waking thought was given over to the pursuit of an Obama win?

ONN report:

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

dunno, put them to work for ron paul

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The election of Obama shows that people are less racist than in the past, but it in no way an indication that racism no longer exists. In fact I have seen a increase in racist comments in the last few days. Perhaps, its due to me living in a conservative part of Texas, but nevertheless it hard to agree that racism is gone when I hear such comments and use of the N* word.

Also, can you really say racism is gone when we had people at the Texas Republican convention selling buttons that said "If obama is president...will we still call it the White House".

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaploink

yeah....the N word? nuts?

to what extent do you believe that civil rights groups are going to change this? the point isn't that racism doesn't exist, it does, and i'ld imagine there'll always be an element in every community. the point is that they don't matter any more, they are the minority. civil rights are safe because the vast majority of the people believe they are fundamental.

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So here is your answer.

www.change.gov...

And here is their agenda...

Barack Obama and Joe Biden's Plan

Strengthen Civil Rights Enforcement
Obama and Biden will reverse the politicization that has occurred in the Bush Administration's Department of Justice. They will put an end to the ideological litmus tests used to fill positions within the Civil Rights Division.

Combat Employment Discrimination
Obama and Biden will work to overturn the Supreme Court's recent ruling that curtails racial minorities' and women's ability to challenge pay discrimination. They will also pass the Fair Pay Act to ensure that women receive equal pay for equal work and the Employment Non-Discrimination Act to prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.

Expand Hate Crimes Statutes
Obama and Biden will strengthen federal hate crimes legislation, expand hate crimes protection by passing the Matthew Shepard Act, and reinvigorate enforcement at the Department of Justice's Criminal Section.

End Deceptive Voting Practices
Obama will sign into law his legislation that establishes harsh penalties for those who have engaged in voter fraud and provides voters who have been misinformed with accurate and full information so they can vote.

End Racial Profiling
Obama and Biden will ban racial profiling by federal law enforcement agencies and provide federal incentives to state and local police departments to prohibit the practice.

Reduce Crime Recidivism by Providing Ex-Offender Support
Obama and Biden will provide job training, substance abuse and mental health counseling to ex-offenders, so that they are successfully re-integrated into society. Obama and Biden will also create a prison-to-work incentive program to improve ex-offender employment and job retention rates.

Eliminate Sentencing Disparities
Obama and Biden believe the disparity between sentencing crack and powder-based coc aine is wrong and should be completely eliminated.

Expand Use of Drug Courts
Obama and Biden will give first-time, non-violent offenders a chance to serve their sentence, where appropriate, in the type of drug rehabilitation programs that have proven to work better than a prison term in changing bad behavior.

Man I love our new president!

[edit on 6-11-2008 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Expand Hate Crimes Statutes
Obama and Biden will strengthen federal hate crimes legislation, expand hate crimes protection by passing the Matthew Shepard Act, and reinvigorate enforcement at the Department of Justice's Criminal Section.

Let's hope the Black Panthers take careful note that calling for a 'a war on whites' and other racially-based rhetoric will be declared as such...a hate crime

posted on Nov, 7 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I would agree that the concept of a "hate crime" is so absurd. It's either a crime or not - thoughts, ideas or opinions should have no bearing on prosecution.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join