It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can the civil rights group pack up and go home now?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
In my opinion the black community voted for Obama because his skin is black. The portion of white voters did so because they agreed with his ideals.

Actually a lot of liberal whites voted for Obama because of his skin color too.

In an interview last week, Steele said that many white voters were choosing Obama as a way to "finally document for the world that they are not racist," an impulse that blinds them to Obama's weaknesses.

Hairston of Virginia, the descendant of slave owners, thought Obama, if elected, would quell overseas critics who accuse the United States of racism. If critics like Steele called that "white guilt," he said, then so be it.

Guilt, he said, "has a place and a role. Those who fail to feel guilt are sociopaths."

www.latimes.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

I believe the liberal whites who voted because of Obama's skin color will feel the sting of racism before it's all said and done.

We also may have many blacks calling Obama an Uncle Tom very soon.

I would think we have enough problems in our world without race being one of them.

The whole situation turns my stomach.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

Dream on. Obama was elected because he is black. There is no doubt about that, whatsoever. The powers that be wanted a histoircally significant election after GWB so they had either Hilary or Obama to use. This go-round it happened to be a black man. Next time they will push a woman.

SR

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Of course it won't as money is to be made from it, Poverty, Discrimination, Civil Rights etc. etc. all big money making industries.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Civil rights are not about African-American rights. They are about all rights which anyone enjoys.

Civil rights now has many different fronts, one of which is gay marriage.

Now many states voted to ban gay marriage yesterday, which shows just how much we need civil rights now.

Yes the march of Civil rights has had many achievements... but the work is not done until all members of our great society share the same liberties.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

as i said on the first page, marriage is not a civil rights issue. homosexuality is tolerated, thus all civil rights are fulfilled. there is no reason, outside of the will of the people, for the state to endorse two people living their lives together.

if you recognise two homosexuals sharing their lives as deserving separate recognition then why not two buddies sharing an apartment or colledge students or a couple of old spinsters.

marriage is a validation by the community, if the community choose not to recognise it then that's up to the community.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SR
Of course it won't as money is to be made from it, Poverty, Discrimination, Civil Rights etc. etc. all big money making industries.

You stole my thunder....

NAACP and other race based civil rights groups have been only about money the several years. Extortion on business with boycotts for some alleged practice is the norm. Nothing more than strong arm tactics with a smile.

Racism is alive and thriving in America. It is a growth industry as there are too many lawyers and many people who think they have the right to make a claim for free money.

This election was never about race, that is just simpleton thinking. It was about a total change towards the left or stay the course where ever the hell it leads us.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

as i said on the first page, marriage is not a civil rights issue.

This goes much further than gay marriage.

It is a civil rights issue because of the amount of social resistance against homosexuality.

I know you don't think so, but it is. Until gay couples can walk down mainstreet in my home town of rural ohio without fear of being beaten, then it will be a civil rights issue.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Why does everyone keep calling Obama black. Isn't he just as much white as he is black? Why is he being called an African American? Shouldn't he be called a European-African-American?

When will people stop being Hyphenated Americans and just be Americans?

When will start celebrating American culture instead of Hispanic, African, etc. culture?

When will we start looking at people based on their merits rather then the color of their skin.

The more we are told about how different we are the more we will become aware of it.

One people, one country. Americans!

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

you're right, i don't agree.

civil rights are rights legislated by a civic society. gay people have ALL these rights legislated to them.

some streets aren't safe to walk down, it's hardly a civil rights issue that you choose to live in a town populated by scumbags.

EDIT: and what do you mean by social resistance exactly? just because people do not wish to endorse homosexuality does not mean they will not tolerate it.

[edit on 5/11/08 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

[edit on 5-11-2008 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
It can't all end now. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton will end up on the welfare roles. That won't happen. Now, those two will shift to 24/7 Obama watch and they will call out all of the racists who oppose Obama's view points. I would however prefer to see those two on welfare. They have lost touch with reality.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

So where is my White Entertainment Television? White Starz? Perhaps extra points on my college application because I am white? I know . . . I need reparations from the Inquisition, since I am pretty sure some of my family was killed in it.

Perhaps I could get an awesome job beating out more qualified black people because they need to fill their white person quota?

Civil Rights my ass

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
sos37:

Dream on. Obama was elected because he is black.

Truth is, I don't have to dream...it's a reality. I prefer to think that people can see past race, gender, colour, all of which are used as 'fault lines' in divisive politics and spin.

I do not doubt that some will have voted for him because of his skin colour, but also, and more importantly, for his policies for change and repair. To vote on colour alone would be a dereliction of sound discerning.

The rest of your post warrants no reply.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

That actually is my greatest fear. I cant stand all this PC bull and i know its going to get worse now. Hopefully it will pass and a new era of non PC societies will emerge from its ashes.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
it's very interesting to watch the UK media, they are really pushing the black thing as an issue, i'm starting to wonder if TPTB might be worried in case this change thing is infective.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
complaints about racism aren't going to stop untill a klansman gets on his knees and licks my toilet bowl clean, and then scrubs out any left over residue with his hat.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mls11.11
complaints about racism aren't going to stop untill a klansman gets on his knees and licks my toilet bowl clean, and then scrubs out any left over residue with his hat.

Which means that you will keep on playing that race card and using this imaginary racism as a crutch. This way people can continue doing whatever they feel like with no fear of recourse or retribution.

Nice. At least you admit it.

[edit on 11/5/08 by BlackOps719]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
it's very interesting to watch the UK media, they are really pushing the black thing as an issue

I watched BBC News channel this afternoon on the 'post-match analysis' of the election result and I was taken aback at the 'positive racism' that was presented

A BBC journalist at a school in Nottingham first interviewed a black Head-of-Education about the election results and asked questions based on race and personal achievement with regard to black students, and then turned to a panel of students, mainly black with a few token whites and asians thrown in, and asked questions of how their views of the elections affected their aspirations...only the black students were asked to share their views, whilst the white and asian kids sat on the periphery, looking to either camera or the journalist in anticipation of being interviewed, which didnt happen.

I don't recall anything like this racist crap being broadcast after the '96 Clinton or '00 Bush election...

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
that's my thinking, it's seriously pushy. if i was just watching TV i'ld easily believe the election was all about race. there's some serious agenda pushing going on.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join