It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can the civil rights group pack up and go home now?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
i suppose the title sums it up, now that you have a pres that isn't white, will they now feel comfortable enough to stop going on and on about racisim in america?

clearly obama was voted in on the issues, his colour wasn't an issue for people, except to people voting for him because he is black.

do you think this is final vindication to the point of view that says that percieved racism in modern america is more a case of the victim mentality in minority groups than a function of the attitudes of white people.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Quite the opposite my friend. The race game will reach new heights now I'm afraid.

What you will see now is that everyone who speaks out against President Obama will be labeled a racist. Anyone who disagrees with him will be a racist, and so on and so forth. Everything will be about race now I'm afraid.

Race relations are going to be worse than they ever have been before.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Oh yeah. I think you're spot on. And on top of that I believe there's going to be a lot of people who speak out against him for one simple reason: because they are racists. It'll be the same idiots who don't think twice about using the N word, still have the deep south mentality of discrimination and segregation, and who want us to be at war in the Middle East for the sole purpose of killing people who are not Caucasian.

Ugh...nothing gets me upset quicker than blatant racism. I don't understand how anyone can be so proud of their ignorance, their hate, and their desire to see harm done to others.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I can see the race card being used to counter critisism, it is a possibility, but is it a realistic answer given the election results.

i just watched spike lee on BBC news a few minutes ago saying this wasn't the end of racism in the US, only a beginning. what more is required than the election of a man based solely on his message? will the civil rights lobby be happy with anything less than discrimination against white people?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
[

Quite the opposite my friend. The race game will reach new heights now I'm afraid.

What you will see now is that everyone who speaks out against President Obama will be labeled a racist. Anyone who disagrees with him will be a racist, and so on and so forth. Everything will be about race now I'm afraid.

Race relations are going to be worse than they ever have been before.

Everyone that disagrees with the current administration is labeled "terrorist".

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Umm...did you hear about Prop 8? Civil rights don't just apply to black people, they apply to ALL people. It won't be over until injustice is vanquished for all Americans.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hi There,

This is what really disappoints me, this call to the assumption that Obama was elected through some misguided appeal to race and colour. Be under no illusions, and spread them not, Obama was elected on his policies, not on his colour, but his philosophical creed.

Yesterday showed how a multi-ethnic society came together to transcend race and colour in the hope to bring about reparations for their nation. Obama voiced his philosophy up and down the country in hope to persuade Americans of all colours (not just one) to join with him in bringing about a much needed and essential change to a singular and destructive mindset. He did the job, and the American people came together and did their's. Their voice was not simply multi-ethnic, but an accent American, and by relation and their voting, set up the example for the world to follow...not simply multi-ethnic, but an accent globally humanitarian...to make of us all, true citizens of a ethnically-diverse world, sharing in a common goal and common purpose, to bring about equality and freedom, and that oh so Americanism, the 'pursuit of happiness and liberty'.

In themselves, these are not rewards of merit, but 'givens' at birth, regardless of one's ethnic background. Rightly so, for the world will be more at peace if these 'givens' are deemed birthrights in every nation, and adopted as the litmus for the strength of a nation's people.

Yesterday's American election was one of those defining moments, wherein a nation standing at a crossroad in its history decided for itself a path of humanitarian rightness, and erected a signpost to say this way to an all embracing commencement of shared ideals toward a better world. This has nothing whatsoever to do with race or colour, but about a sharing in humanity. If this embarrases you, if this makes you cringe and blush in horror, because your mindset disavows the pledge taken by the American people yesterday, then stay awhile by the roadside. Take not another step forward, but passively observe the world move forward without you. It neither wants nor requires you to step towards that which you cannot embrace in your heart. Yet, should you give it room within, the world will be awaiting you, and will embrace you. Until then, you are in a world shrinking in its own disgrace.

Best wishes

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by John_Q_Llama
Ugh...nothing gets me upset quicker than blatant racism. I don't understand how anyone can be so proud of their ignorance, their hate, and their desire to see harm done to others.

Yes, but race relations need to be studied to be understood. When I was in college I sent out a survey to a large segment of other white students in an attempt to analyze how the multicultural school environment, and in particular, how their exposure to black people, changed their attitudes.

An important factor was whether or not their comfort level with black people would lessen their devotion to the white community, and whether they would feel more or less inclined to support white causes after they had been exposed to black people on a regular basis.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
You're probably right about critics being called racist, but I'm not afraid. This is America and I have a right to say anything I want, if people want to call me racist because I feel the need to speak the truth than so be it. I've already been called an anti-Semite for speaking out against Israel, a terrorist for speaking out against government corruption and a criminal for speaking out against police surveillance.

"Racist" is just going to have to go on the same list

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

so the rights of a small group of people should take precedence over the wishes of the majority? civil rights are for ALL, which includes the right to self determination through the democratic process.

no i don't know anything about prop 8, i googled it, it is gay marrage rights your referring to isn't it?

sexuality has little bearing on civil rights. marriage is primarily a religions institution, which is recognised by the state as a function of the will of the people, in other words, the majority wish the government to endorse heterosexual marriage and family life as the preferred lifestyle. given the lack of endorsement by any religous institution or a majority of people in many states, why should the state recognise homosexual marriage against the will of the people?

the toleration of homosexuality is correct from a civil rights point of view and is in effect in every respect, the endorsement of homosexuality through recognition by the state of it's unions is not a civil rights issue.

[edit on 5/11/08 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
reply to post by kosmicjack

so the rights of a small group of people should take precedence over the wishes of the majority? civil rights are for ALL, which includes the right to self determination through the democratic process.

Are you serious?

The Bill of Rights protects the minority from the tyranny of the majority, when their wishes threaten our inalienable rights - the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

When we can't agree on what those "rights" are, we defer to the SCOTUS. I guess that's one of the understated reasons an Obama victory was so important. Thank God he is a Constitional Lawyer.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
An important factor was whether or not their comfort level with black people would lessen their devotion to the white community, and whether they would feel more or less inclined to support white causes after they had been exposed to black people on a regular basis.

is that a function of being human or being racist?

people fear a seemingly opposing force and attempt to strengthen defenses against that force. when the perceived threat diminishes the need to strengthen defenses should be expected to diminish proportionately.

militancy by either side only serves to strengthen militancy in opposition.

at what point does the militant, demonstrative civil rights movement become a hindrance to progress?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
The Bill of Rights protects the minority from the tyranny of the majority, when their wishes threaten our inalienable rights - the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

my point is, a failure by the state to endorse a particular lifestyle is not any hindrance to the right to life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness.

if you can't argue that it is then how can argue it as a civil rights issue?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by John_Q_Llama

Yes, but race relations need to be studied to be understood. When I was in college I sent out a survey to a large segment of other white students in an attempt to analyze how the multicultural school environment, and in particular, how their exposure to black people, changed their attitudes.

Just out of curiosity, what were the results of your survey? How did people answer, and did you get the kind of answers you were expecting, or where you suprised?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I think it will get even worse,after Obama's win they interviewed one lady who said she was glad he won,now she doesn't have to worry about buying gas and paying her mortgage?,if that isn't a sense of entitlment what I think may happen is these people are going to be pissed when their dream that had never comes to fruitation,they may be the ones to try and assasinate him,he sure made a lot of promises and golden rule don't make promises you can't keep

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
could she possibly have been talking about the availability of gas and jobs being insured by obamas election rather than them being provided by him?

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

Let's see if Obama and Jessy will no work to get rid of quotas and affirmative action regulations... I wouldn't hold my breath.

[edit on 5-11-2008 by Gateway]

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
they should, the most racist policies ever invented....but i don't suggest you hold your breath.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
In my opinion the black community voted for Obama because his skin is black. The portion of white voters did so because they agreed with his ideals.

We cannot lump all whites and all blacks together. There are ignorant whites as well as ignorant blacks. Just as we have racist blacks and whites. The ignorant and racist people from both groups are the ones that will not now or ever be able to live peacefully together.

A friend of mine who has a business has been receiving calls and text messages all night from former black employees. They were very rude and threatening. She had the offending numbers blocked this morning and made a police report.

I have no doubt that racial conditions will deteriorate in the south. We had problems before Obama came on the scene.

I hope Obama will push for unity and understanding between all races as soon as possible.

I did not vote for Obama because I do not like the Democratic agenda. If another party had put forth a black candidate that had agenda I agreed with I would have voted for him. I don't live my life in black and white.

An entire generation may have to grow old and die before we can have peace between the races. That generation are the people in their 20's and 30's. We have a long way to go.

Obama is not the president elect of the Divided States of America. I am white and he is my president elect too. With his charasmatic spirit he should be able to help race relations if he acts soon . Otherwise I believe blood will be shed.

posted on Nov, 5 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
They can and they should, but they wont.

People like Farrakhan, Wright, Jesse Jackson etc would be out of a job if they stop denouncing the evils of the system and the "imbalances".

Having a black president will change nothing for these people, and that is truly sad because for everyone else it means a big change of mentality. I would like to think that the era has come for total equality.

The sins of the past should be relics of the past era, not forgotten but forgiven.

The time for equality is at hand. If Obama truly is an agent of change, then he will tear down all barriers that divide people, be they racist or inversely-racist (which is racist anyway).

No more quotas, no more excuses, no more profiling and no more pigeonholing. One America, united as never before. That was Obama's promise. Let's see if he keep it or is just another career politician.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join