It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS proof of the dumbing down of America?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

So true man, so true.

I've been noticing it more and more in major publications as well, not just on the net. Some of the threads on here do get pretty apalling at times with the responses I have to plow through to read a post. LOL, and please don't get me started on some of the U2U discussions I've been in. Wow.

I don't know if it is the "dumbing down of the American people" as you suggest, but it definitely shows a laziness and lack of regard for a language, especially when most of the people on here claim to take what they say and post seriously.

I ACTUALLY had someone tell me once that vocabulary and spelling was simply memorizing words. Well no #, jimmy. If you type and spell like a 3rd grader, do you honestly think I'm going to put much weight into what you're selling? Of course, you can provide a link to your outside sources but if this is your own original idea.... come on! Take the time to convey it in the best possible manner. I know not everyone is a spelling/vocab genius - and I know we have other than native English speakers around, but do your best, not your easiest.

I've been reading this site since I was in the invasion back in 03 and just recently joined earlier this year and I have to say, it seems like the passion level is dropping on the part of the majority. You have the few diehards and other good people who are serious about what they post on here, then you have the masses who litter threads with their whining, complaining, flaming other posters, insulting each other and OP. I mean, for God's sake. It's like something right out of a psychology lesson. They aren't successful at life, so they get on here and insult people and litter their threads with stuff that no one else cares to hear... wow.

lol - I kind of went off on a rant there, but felt I should point it out as you were the victim of the very same garbage.

Good OP - star and a flag for "your" post.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by mf_luder]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by meadowfairy
It is disinfo threads like this that get in the way of important threads like NWO, Economic crisis, Elections and UFO's.

mkay lets tlk bout' ufoz and crisises. i belive crizeses r directly prupotionated 2 th3 uf0z as bth increse at same rate.

How old did I sound there?
Honestly.
Maybe age 7 - 13.
Are you going to make that connection subconsciously if nothing else?
Yes.
Are you going to take a 7 - 13 year old with less validity than you would an adult?
Yes.

It's fine to type that way if you don't give a damn how you come across or how America comes across (assuming you live in America - as Americans are the biggest perpetrators of this) as looking down at others on our high horse even though we can barely spell 'horse'.
It's a sad image.
Personally, I don't want to contribute to that image, though if you want to - be my guest.
A thread that comes across as a majority being 7 - 13 years of age is an unattractive image. And it usually means that the intelligent people will not want to talk to you about the serious topics - regardless of your actual IQ.

You want to talk about the 'good stuff'? Fine.
All I suggest is that you don't contribute to the '1337 interw3b sp3ak'.
Save the rest of us.
Take the extra 2 seconds to type it out properly, and save every reader 15 seconds of trying to make out the words.
It reminds me of people on the road who don't give a crap about other drivers...
Whatever, it's not a sin. But it is a topic that should be brought up every once in a while.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by TruthParadox]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mf_luder

Great post.

Originally posted by mf_luder
If you type and spell like a 3rd grader, do you honestly think I'm going to put much weight into what you're selling?

That's exactly the main issue in my opinion - that it lowers the whole forum's credibility.
It lowers the poster's credibility, the thread's credibility, the forum's credibility, and seeing as a majority of the people making these errors are American, it lowers America's credibility.
Yes - people do see Americans as uneducated hicks in other parts of the world and a big part of this is due to of our speech on the internet.

The problem with ATS is that it's so mainstream now that it attracts the people that sound uneducated far more than the educated.
Thus our current situation.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by TruthParadox]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I blame the LOLcats

And also that heathen rock-n-roll music.

But not NASCAR. Or Fox News. Or church.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Symbiote

Nascar is the worst. Hey ya'll, didja see em come round that there curb in thu road?

lol

I love rock and roll, but this thread isn't about rock and roll music - it's about people and their grammar on a public forum.

How did church come up? You're going to drag the religio-crazies in here now about the 'one way'.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by mf_luder]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Sit back a minute and think about how that is going to change by posting this thread.
Hmm perhaps we will need to regulate ATS, isnt that what most people are against? regulating the internet. Sure im all for ATS regulating the time wasting threads as its their job but to censor topics because of underage may be going abit far. The only thing they can do upon signup's is consent to age but which kid really cares?
I can understand there a people who think and then there a dimwits who need to be shown. But isn't this forum about opening their eyes also to explore, think for themselves etc and most likely educate themselves on the matters at hand and learn about how its done. Its the future generation that needs to open their eyes before they enter professions that would deem them apart of the matrix.
Maybe its not a disinfo thread but i get sick of disinfo agents, that i learn't how to fight back with their tactics. You have to learn their tactics in order to get heard. Alot of them do act immature and can sway an audience to do the same. I understand that. You just need to be well armed with evidence and proof.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

hey now, there's nothing really wrong with 133t5p34k...you just gotta make sure you're only doing it when it's appropriate. at any point in a serious discussion is not an appropriate time...if you're just goofing off with your friends though, that's fine, ya' know?

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

but to censor topics because of underage may be going abit far.

not talking about that....we're talking about people spelling like idiots.

I can understand there a people who think and then there a dimwits who need to be shown. But isn't this forum about opening their eyes also to explore, think for themselves etc and most likely educate themselves on the matters at hand and learn about how its done.

If English is their primary language, and they're demonstrating a p*ss-poor grasp of it, then they need to open up their eyes to some hooked on phonics or something.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by maus80

I hope that I am doing this 'reply' correctly as this is a first for me. However, I am responding to the person who was commenting on the proper english usage. NO, I do not think you are out of line, but I too do notice this and I do 'cringe' but I also know that this is something that is a product of our times. This is so unfortunate and a disservice to our younger generation. I believe that 'proper grammer and spelling' is a thing of the past. People now rely on spell check and grammar check to fix everything. Well it does not. The fact that our english language has different meanings and spellings for the same word! I've heard over and over that the English language is the hardest language to learn. I too have serious doubts about my 'correct' grammar but do the best I can. I apparently am one who can spell very well, as even my very well educated husband will often will ask me how to spell a word. This is, I believe, a part of the 'dumbing of America'. Not only are we failing in our
ability to properly communitate. our sense of responsibility is almost gone!
Has anyone noticed that personal responsibility is basicaly non-existant? Examples: Have an accident, even if it's your fault. we can get you $$!.
Classic: burglarizing a school & fall thru the skylight? Sue the school & win! I'm not totaly sure how to turn the 'tide' on this but I do believe that we as a people need to re-educate to the best of our ability and bring back "common sense" and reality to our country or we are doomed! I'm not a "radical" just someone who believes that reality shared is knowledge
shared!
emmie

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Daedalus sorry it was in reply to truthparadox, should have quoted so you dont bite me

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Hey, you try typing real fast, with a bag of crisps in one hand and a kb with 1/2 the letters rubbed off...

Add to that, the hurried way many ppl post, so they can read what they have said & look for ppl answering tham, and you're gunna' have mistakes...lol

[edit on 10/29/2008 by Ironclad]

lol I said tham instead of them... heh see what i mean

[edit on 10/29/2008 by Ironclad]

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
ironcold how you doin' mate howz live hanging. Wot hav u been doin 2 ur kb homie.
Sorry i sms too much and it seems to run off online dude.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by maus80

Is ATS proof of the dumbing down of America?

Those who choose to wake up, go to work, come home, pay the bills, watch the news, sleep, go to work, come home, pay the bills, watch the news, sleep etc. etc. etc. and so on are the proof of the so called. "Dumbing down of America"

People on ATS are the thinkers of America and we need more people like this because we have clearly been duked in so many ways.

The most powerful weapon we have is our human mind to act and think freely, discern and choose what is right from wrong, what is deception and lies versus Truth.

ATS is a great tool to put some of those ideas out and connect with others and share thoughts on matters.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by maus80Everyone should realize that when you are posting about a topic you feel passionately about, it is hard to take you seriously if your writing abilities barely rival those of an early grade school student. Am I getting twisted over nothing at all, or is this obvious proof that the average person is getting dumber and lazier by the day? I'm sure there are at least a few examples of my being a hypocrite right here in this thread, but I never said that I wasn't also a "victim" of this phenomenon.
I agree it is very difficult to take a poster seriously if they haven't taken the time and care to produce a post that is easily understood and readable.

Perfect spelling and grammar are not requirements. However, carelessness in spelling and grammar may well result in confusion on the part of the reader or cause the reader to give up. Either of these results would be, I assume, counterproductive and frustrating for the author.

You get what you give or garbage in, garbage out. Take care in crafting a post and your responses will be that much more satisfying. Instant Karma.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
The laziness and appalling grammar is a sign of the times. People are too distracted to do anything properly, including typing on the internet.
What's worse than bad grammar and improper use of the language is the way younger folks treat themselves and each other. There is no such thing as respect, both for themselves and for anyone else.
Just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should. We are partly to blame as parents because we do not monitor our children, and the norms of society have changed since we were children. Civility and respect are no longer as valued as they once were.
Also, if you discipline your children in this day and age, you might end up in jail. That is another depressing matter entirely.

The children of today are our hope for a better tomorrow. I, for one, am fearful of the future.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   

ironcold how you doin' mate howz live hanging. Wot hav u been doin 2 ur kb homie.
Sorry i sms too much and it seems to run off online dude.

M8 I r 2 733t to b speaking propa England on dese bords.

Really though, all the typing I do, just rubs the letters off the keys..lol I end up having to use a marker to re-write the letters in so I know WTH I am saying.

How embarrassment when I do make mistakes tho..

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go
I tried to post some relevant thoughts here earlier on in this thread and next to no-one has taken anything I said on board...which is annoying as this is something I have a lot of experience in.

Perhaps that in itself is evidence of dumbing down on ATS insomuch as what this thread has become is a series of opinions without any basis in the area of the inevitable way language changes, without any consideration of historical fact.

Peace,

MGGG

I think the threads move so fast, and we are limited to seeing only a few posts per page, we get caught up with the original and then newest posts, rarely going through each one in the middle...

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thinkmore
The children of today are our hope for a better tomorrow. I, for one, am fearful of the future.

You should embrace it.

I, for one, welcome our semi-literate young overlords.

posted on Oct, 29 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by mdiinican
EDIT: And on the spirits of my ancestors, I swear I'll murder in cold blood anyone I catch using "u" instead of "you".

i got a mesage 4u: elimmination thru violance wont solve anything IMHO.

Aaron Spelling was a rich tv producer alright but that dont mean anything cause coincidences do hapen.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13 >>

join