It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS proof of the dumbing down of America?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I strongly dislike this post. What are you expecting everyone on this site to have graduated high school or be a certain age? Are you expecting that everyone have English as their primary language? So to satisfy your beliefs should everyone post their age and their level of education?

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Getting kinda 'nit picky' aren't we? I guess bad grammar and careless spelling can be annoying at times - if you're easily annoyed. However, ATS provides us with far better things to moan about.

I'm sure most contributers don't intentionally mis-type their posts - and literacy (or the lack of it) should not preclude anyone from making their point.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I would just like to add that everyone in this thread is writing well. And for the most part everyone usually does on ATS. I generally see it much worse on other forums that I frequent, so I am happy for what I get.

That said, honestly I think we can collectively come to the agreement that Anonymous can't form a damn sentence for the life of him!

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Slightly off topic, but I just saw this news article

Teenagers' learning 'dumbed down'

He said his findings reflected that pupils now lived in an environment favouring instant responses.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
This really bothers me, too. Thank you for bringing it up. I do speak English as my first language and I think that my spelling and grammar are great, but most people... well... don't put the effort into their typing that I do.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
have you honestly ever talked on any sort of instant messaging? people could care less how they spell words, just as long as the people they're talking to get what they're saying ... i.e. idk ... i don't know ... it's a lot easier to type idk then i don't know ... and who cares about capitalizing ... we're not here to impress people ...

[edit on 27-10-2008 by baseball101]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
People are simply too lazy or simply the new generation of teenagers.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I think it is a mixture of things. For some it is poor education, for others its a second language, whilst others do not really care to much as long as their post is reasonably readable, and others do not really care at all what errors they have posted.

Firstly i'll say that i am certain i have produced spelling errors in posts i have made, whilst i think it is important that other people can read what you have posted i do not really spend time ensuring everything is how it should be, just that it is readable, ie words are not missing or i have not added the same word twice, for example, other other.

However, if i was doing something important, writing a letter, filling out forms, writing a novel, then i'd be quite capable of ensuring my grammer is up to scratch.

Posting on forums do not require the same level of attention you would give to other things, firstly it is just not as important, and you simply do not think anybody would really be that bothered by a mistype or application of a simular sounding word, which has a different meaning compared to the terms you were using it under.

You would expect people can work out for themselves what it actually was suppose to mean or say.

Anyway, i do not think spelling errors or poor grammer prove anything other than people are not checking their spellings and the fact they are using a keyboard, except in really bad cases.

Regardless i do not think people who can not spell should be discouraged from posting here or should be judged on that at all.

Their opinion and anything they can add to the topic is just as important than anybody elses, i would rather work out what they meant, rather than shutting down their ability to enjoy this forum to, because of complaints about grammer, making them fearful of posting.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by maus80

I absolutely agree and think it's always a good idea to proof read a post, and I often even run it through my spell check to make sure I haven't bungled something.

Good grammar, basic English skills, and the proper use of contractions are definitely lacking these days. Such a shame!

I highly recommend a book called "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynne Truss for all students and anyone else who needs a bit of help, and humor, regarding punctuation and the like.
Here is a funny excerpt from the back cover of the book:

A panda walks into a café. He orders a sandwich, eats it, then draws a gun and proceeds to fire it at the other patrons.

'Why?' asks the confused, surviving waiter amidst the carnage, as the panda makes towards the exit. The panda produces a badly punctuated wildlife manual and tosses it over his shoulder.

'Well, I'm a panda', he says, at the door. 'Look it up.'

The waiter turns to the relevant entry in the manual and, sure enough, finds an explanation. 'Panda. Large black-and-white bear-like mammal, native to China. Eats, shoots and leaves.'

[edit on 27/10/2008 by xtradimensions]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
you call it the dumbing down of America..

I call it, CHATSPEAK

so amazing! ppl nowadays are too lazy to hit the ' key as am I on the internet

It is just about getting to the point in as little time as possible.

[edit on 27-10-2008 by MoothyKnight]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Frankly I could care less about the "you're" and "your" thing. As long as you can understand what is being said it doesn't matter. Congratulations and welcome to the Internet.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
While the use of "loose" for "lose" bothers me some, I can ignore it and other misspellings if the poster has something worthwhile to say.

What really drives me round the bend is people typing or saying "I could care less." The expression is "I could not care less" if you mean you don't care at all! Saying "I could care less" means you care to some degree. It may be a lot or it may be only a little, but you do care.

And don't get me started about the use of "upcoming".

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by maus80

I guess this is the only site you visit whilst online? Or perhaps you meant that ATS, like every other reader comment driven site has poor spelling/grammar.

Is there a dumbing down? I answer emphatically yes; or at least as strongly as my online voice range allows. To argue that ATS is the proof of the 'dumbing down' though would require discounting the efforts of the NYT, WSJ, DMN and whichever newspaper, in your area, that masquerades as news and information.

Yes, here we screw up grammatically or with regard to spelling. But hey, at least we didn't study that crap for years on credit to trick you. Can't say the same for the mainstream publications.

You come here to think about whether or not the MSM is feeding you the truth. Only you can figure out how that fits into your life and if you're going to let your preconceived notions of 'expert writer' cloud you, then perhaps you're better off being fed the crap that's poorly edited by people trained to do it.

(edit to add
If you'd like me to send a listing of mainstream press gaffes I'm more than happy to.

And, here's what I've been talking about for years:

ladyliberty.wordpress.com...

[edit on 27-10-2008 by micheshi]

[edit on 27-10-2008 by micheshi]

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
ihave know ideahwhateveryone is compalyning about. itssillytoworrya bout gramers andpunchuashuns whats the poiynt of pierods and commahs eenyway and all the gripeingabout runon sentances capeetallisayshun and speilng is dum ya no becuz b4u no it u will b asseemeelayted. and wee will all no how to speek sevareal net langooages

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by nj2day

I'd call BS except I think you might be serious. So, in the interest of real dialogue, when were people illiterate? How how long ago is ago?

For a hint on my position, please look up literacy rate decline in the U.S. firstly. The OP is right that 'dumbing down' is happening but (s)he incorrectly points to this site as proof.

(Gawd, I'm a dumbed down person who went to school in the 70, 80 and 90's and know that I'm less educated than my truck driving grandfather. At least he knew the things that mattered: head of cattle, when to rotate crops, CREDIT is for the absolutely necessary, not for a new hat and don't # where you eat. It's not real hard...)

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
It is disinfo threads like this that get in the way of important threads like NWO, Economic crisis, Elections and UFO's.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by meadowfairy

How is it disinfo?

It's a symptom of a much larger problem.....that being the dumbing down of americans to make them easier to control when the NWO takes over.

Take a step back, look at the bigger picture.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Please. He could have just said the education system is not up to par in America. But this thread has nothing to do with people being dumb rather then being lazy.
People have different talents to bring forth and i rather enjoy reading them then giving brownies for spelling on a damn forum.

Rather then addressing human errors we need to address the important issues.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by meadowfairy

Exactly. The education system isn't anywhere near up to par, and people not being able to spell, write, read, even talk properly is a prime example of this. I know people who have graduated high school who can't do basic math, have serious spelling problems, can't identify or read certain "big words" (like "conscription", "geometric", "consensual" etc), speak worse than george w bush, and have no grasp of politics or history...

But they can tell you the names of all of 50 cent and lil kim's albums, or what the hottest new shoes to be wearing are, wtf's going on with the plethora of shallow, empty, meaningless celebrities' lives, or what's going on on "america's got talent". ask em' about iraq, or the economy, or the elections, and you get something along the lines of "i don't know that sh*t, ni**a...."

it's sad...and this thread is valid, because the topic is a symptom.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13 >>

join