It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 460
<< 457  458  459    461  462  463 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Look. The United States Dollar is based on the most real things on Earth.... our high standard of living & how much we can kick anybody's butt.

If you make a state currency then what? It is the same thing except the state can't kick as much butt and certainly not the Federal Government's butt.

Money is an illusion. The US Dollar is a very liquid tool for transacting. If you don't like it then exchange your Dollars for something else. I imagine you will want to swap back into Dollars when you need them after struggling to survive on seashells.

Definitely don't swap your seashells for Euros.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by THX-1138

US treasury yields have been slowly drifting up and that does help support the dollar. I'm sure yields will eventually rise to whatever it takes to make our bonds marketable.

The unemployment report this morning gave the markets a nice pop but we have heard so much about the rumor that it may end up being a sell on the news Friday.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by fromunclexcommunicate]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hmmm...

Baltic Dry Index Has Worst Week Since October as Demand Slows
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 7 (Bloomberg) -- The Baltic Dry Index, a measure of shipping costs for commodities, had its worst week since October as Chinese demand for shipments of coal and iron ore slowed.

The index tracking transportation costs on international trade routes today slid 135 points, or 4.6 percent, to 2,772 points, according to the Baltic Exchange. That took its weekly drop to 17 percent, the most since the end of October.

“The Chinese have backed off and it’s starting to show in the number of shipments this month,” Gavin Durrell, a Cape Town-based official at Island View Shipping SA, Africa’s biggest commodities shipping line, said by phone today. “Iron ore and coal seem to be slowing down.”

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Regarding the Unemployment numbers....

U6 Seasonally Adjusted down to 16.3%, Not Seasonally Adjusted unchanged @ 16.8%

LOOK at that again, that's the "real" numbers

if you look at the full report with tables you will also see this lovely notation

637K spike in everybody's favorite group, "Not in Labor Force".

Those are the folks who just ran out of UE and rolled off the rolls. DO you really think they magically found a job once their benefits ran out??

If the new NILFs had been classified as unemployed, the (official) unemployment rate would have edged up to 9.7%.

Month to Month changes:

Civilian labor force: -422K
Employment: -155K
Unemployment: -267K
Not in labor force: +637K

Add in the magical "Birth/Death Model" that has been added (to manipulate) the report, and you can see that 1.3 MILLION previously reported jobs have been eliminated from the calculations (scroll down to tables).

You may ask, how does the BDM affect the numbers?? well...

100 workers that 20 are unemployed =20% unemployment

100 workers that 10 are unemployed and 10 out of work force equals 90 workers =11.1% unemployment

Isn't that 2nd number a much prettier picture?

And here's the (lack of) money quote:

"The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more)
rose by 584,000 over the month to 5.0 million. In July, 1 in 3 unemploy-
ed persons were jobless for 27 weeks or more. (See table A-9.)

About 2.3 million persons were marginally attached to the labor force
in July, 709,000 more than a year earlier."

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Quick update:

DJIA:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7b483971ce62.png[/atsimg]

9404.99 up 148.73 1.61%

FTSE nearing close:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/562cc75bea39.png[/atsimg]

4742.46 up 51.93 1.11%

Source

Looks like a clear mirror effect.

[edit on 7/8/09 by pause4thought]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I could post a long winded reply about the unemployment numbers increasing and the rate decreasing... but I'm a bit to pissed off at the blatant lieing. By our government.

So how about I just say "I told you so!"

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You calling me "long-winded?"

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Lol... well we are all some of the most long winded people on ATS haha... me in particular, as I was refering, am very long winded. Just thought I would give everyones eyes a bit of a rest.

Besides, just go back 30 pages and I already said the who what when and how this lie fest would catch up to em..

I really didn't expect it to be hailed as a good thing though... I am very disgusted with the rampant stupidity in this country at the moment...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I am very disgusted with the rampant stupidity in this country at the moment...

In the eternal words of "The Great Ejaculator", I Feel Your Pain..

Many of us have the foresight to understand what must occur eventually, and it isn't going to be pretty...

In the mean time, let them eat their cake

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
Regarding the Unemployment numbers....

U6 Seasonally Adjusted down to 16.3%, Not Seasonally Adjusted unchanged @ 16.8%

LOOK at that again, that's the "real" numbers

if you look at the full report with tables you will also see this lovely notation

637K spike in everybody's favorite group, "Not in Labor Force".

Those are the folks who just ran out of UE and rolled off the rolls. DO you really think they magically found a job once their benefits ran out??

[edit on 8/7/09 by redhatty]

this is something i have been harping on before.......i said that i don't think the unemployment (U3) rate will reach that high and should be leveling off sooner...

because it has a built in tendency to eliminate workers from the workforce during periods of high unemployment......and when there are a low amount of new jobs and you are 9-10 months after a INITIAL period when 500,000 people a month lost work.(for 7 consecutive months)....then Lots and lots of people will be FALLING out of the "labor force" in a truly orwellian model....so the 637 spike of "not in labor force" will be something to keenly follow ....

our damn work force will get smaller and smaller till .....there is nobody looking for jobs......we are all living with our parents.....and the unemployment rate will be 7.5% lol .......earnings for company's will be in the toilet cause nobody has money.... and GS and JPM will still pump the stock market over 10 grand......everyone will be more apathetic ....i would invest in alcohol .... ......crime will ramp up so high when hundreds of thousands come off the "work force" with no way to sustain themselves....

no wonder people pray for this corrupt system to end...they pray for the fed to end.....they pray for the world to end in 2012 and take them magically to a better place...a higher vibration.......othes pray for GOD to cleanse things.( tribulation)........others don't want to HEAR ABOUT IT (bad news or that bad news is really being covered up)......they want to bury their head in the sand....the point is everyone has different BELIEF SYSTEMS that sustain their sanity.....and most people are apathetic and helpless at the overall situation at least at certain times and i think this manifests in the above attitudes.....

the biggest hope for a real driver of new jobs is some type of technological breakthru.....this is what the intelligent economists will tell you......but this is not likely to occur in america anymore....not with increasing tax's ...or .the open borders policy is not changing this creates a cheap source of labor.....tax policy's favor outsourcing of jobs..even new technological one's...company's goals are the bottom line...

.you know some people in intelligence circles are thinking geez we are facing a real possibility of societal breakdown......it would be very beneficial to get aggressive in cutting down the population.....here's something you won't hear talked about at party's ; a created.....pandemic will solve alot of issues in a very ugly ......disgusting way....this knowlege will be highly comparmentalized probably with in a group of people who think of killing as a necessary evil.......the who suggests 2 billion people will be infected by the Swine flue in the next two years and believe it will mutate to become more deadly......the line between TINFOIL and REALITY is becomong blurred my friends...hold on to your sanity and believe what will work for you......this is a f'd up world and we all deserve forgiveness and i believe we should forgive others for doing the things they do while living in it.

[edit on 7-8-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by cpdaman

Instead of a 'them & us' mentality the PTB should work for the people. That way theoretical evil, callous solutions would never even come into the equation.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpdaman
a created.....pandemic will solve alot of issues in a very ugly

How would a pandemic solve a lot of issues? Now if you said a pandemic targeting old people, I would agree with you. But a pandemic that targets young people would just compound our problems. We don't have a problem with overpopulation...yet...Even though sometimes I would like to send most of the people on this earth to some other planet without oxygen

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Looks like as good a place as any to go short

It will be interesting to hear what GBM thinks when he gets his power supply fixed.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
reply to post by cpdaman

Instead of a 'them & us' mentality the PTB should work for the people. That way theoretical evil, callous solutions would never even come into the equation.

that is a nice thought but money is the name of the game........capitalism is good in the beginning and a moral-less disaster over time.......not to say that there is a perfect system but we are human beings .......and power overtime corrupts.....look at the history of the world and the carnage and class warfare.....it would appear that over time these theoretical evil ...callous solutions are in some way part of our nature especially during times of trouble. It is sort of interesting that it also appears in our nature to want to Not believe this at certain times to stay happy and optomistic......

.in my last post i said people "pray" for certain things.....i wish i could just go back in time and relive my childhood over and over again (cept that time i fell out of the high chair lol) but either way everyone still has the chance to live their life and be a "success" in america......it will just be more competitive.....you will need to find connections and utilize them.....and avoid any pandemics.

stock market is rallying this afternoon up 130 plus...finance.yahoo.com...
forget everthing i said

[edit on 7-8-2009 by cpdaman]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Well Well Well...looks like 1 of the big 3 is going to burn down...maybe?

Colonial BancGroup faces criminal probe, FDIC action
www.reuters.com...

BANGALORE (Reuters) - Colonial BancGroup Inc (CNB.N) said it faces a criminal probe by the U.S. Department of Justice (DoJ) related to accounting irregularities at its mortgage lending unit, and the struggling lender warned it may be put under receivership.

In a regulatory filing, the company said the Alabama State Banking Department may appoint the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp as receiver or conservator for its banking unit after August 12.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm here to say just buy anything. Bernanke is printing money, Goldman Sachs is using that money to buy everything, bad news is ignored, good news is pumped. Then you can short when the stock market is at 13,000 and oil is at 110 dollars and the official unemployment rate is at 5% with only 80% employed...All is good. Just buy, no way you can lose. Free money/

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Yep you called it.

It is sickening I'm ticked off about a lot of things, A LOT of things. This is isn't even the tip of the ice berg this is more like a drop that melted from the very tip of it.

I need a beer.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

I takes a needle . . . but I can't find it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7414407f30b6.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Hmmm...

~9360...?...or ~9425 now?

Fascinating Captain...

@ Hastobemoretolife: Got mine for FDIC Friday!

Failed Bank List
www.fdic.gov...

PIMCO's El-Erian: Bull market in U.S. stocks unlikely to last
www.reuters.com...

[edit on 8/7/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Could be, could be:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c65abb6c9913.png[/atsimg]

Source

reply to post by Hastobemoretolife & Hx

Have one on me if stander hits the jackpot.

I might as well get them in now...

new topics

top topics

<< 457  458  459    461  462  463 >>

join