It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 172
<< 169  170  171    173  174  175 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Ah...I wouldn't worry about it...BUY!!!

It's all over now...the Gov's gonna pump 'em till Rome burns...

...just watch fer them sneeking in the gas and matches...

Edit: Oooppps...sorry China has the matches...

Here's my thoughts..(Red line is now)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4095f5ecbe02.png[/atsimg]

[edit on 3/24/2009 by Hx3_1963]

That is the problem with being a bear in the market and playing accordingly. The government is manipulating this market very well and can drop H-bombs on either side (like yesterday for the shorts). I have decided long ago that earnings for financials will be much better than expected and everyone will dance naked on the roof tops. The problem for the government is they are using all their tools right now, but in the long term, it will become like a junkie to heroin-immune to the nice feelings heroin once brought. Don't be so sure that this market is going to tank before rising more...that is all I have to say. In the end, this will be a disaster. But right now, fighting the government is at best unwise. The good news is, if you are on the wrong side of a bet, markets are so volatile, you will most likely at least break even if you have a strong stomach and wait!

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Good deal...

Like I said...BUY!!!

(Don't forget to hedge or get some puts...at your own risk)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Just a quick reminder to all would-be pundits that none of what takes place in here is meant as advice, just opinion and theoretical discussion.

(Saves us on the lawyers' fees.)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
From across the pond...

Britain cannot afford any further fiscal stimulus, King warns

Mervyn King urges the government not to introduce more fiscal aid in next month's budget as Britain's public finances are already in such dire straits

The government should not unveil any further fiscal stimulus in April's budget as Britain's public finances are already in such dire straits, Mervyn King warned today.

Appearing before the Treasury select committee, the Bank of England governor said: "Given how big those deficits are, I think it would be sensible to be cautious about going further in using discretionary measures to expand the size of those deficits."

"There is no doubt that we are facing very large fiscal deficits over the next two to three years," he added.

The chancellor of the exchequer, Alistair Darling, introduced a £20bn stimulus package in November, but King said the government should be careful about further plans as the country's public coffers are under even greater pressure from falling tax revenues and higher benefit payouts. Darling will unveil his next budget on 22 April.

The governor's caution over a second round of fiscal stimulus measures followed a call from former cabinet minister, Stephen Byers, for the chancellor to abandon the centrepiece of his November package - the temporary cut in VAT to 15%. He said it had "run its course both in terms of its overall benefit to the economy and in relation to the political return that comes to the government".

The Office for National Statistics last week reported a £9bn deficit in February, bringing total public-sector net borrowing for the first 11 months of the fiscal year to a record £75bn - more than £50bn higher than for the same period last year.

King also revealed that the Bank's purchases of gilts in its quantitative easing (QE) programme may end up being less than the planned £75bn pounds if the programme works.

More at link

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Paul Krugman says regulators will end up seizing banks:

www.bloomberg.com...://media2.bloomberg.com/ca che/vtZI_slDhbLY.asf

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Oh...yeah...

(GBM)
Signature: I'm a moron...in no way should you listin' to anything I say, as I'm a twit and keep my pennys/pence? in a jar under my bed...daddy? *crunch*

NZSE 50 2,631.166 6:00PM ET 4.167 (0.16%)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Breaking news???

Obama to meet with a dozen bank leaders Friday: WSJ
Last update: 5:35 p.m. EDT March 24, 2009
www.marketwatch.com...

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- President Barack Obama will meet with about a dozen U.S. bank leaders on Friday to talk about his administration's plans to put the sector on a sounder footing, The Wall Street Journal reported late Tuesday on its Web site. Invitees include Goldman Sachs Group Inc., J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and Citigroup Inc.

The meeting follows more than a week of controversy over large bonuses paid at American International Group Inc., after the insurer received billions in federal aid.
Hmmm...what's this all about?

NZSE 50 2,630.14 6:09PM ET -5.19 (-0.20%)

Regional Banks Are the Future
blogs.wsj.com...

The big-bank model isn’t going to last much longer, banking industry analyst Meredith Whitney said at the Journal’s Future of Finance Initiative, and said a more sustainable approach would be bigger regional banks.

Whitney, famous for foreseeing the troubles facing Citigroup, suggested that key parts of the big banking model made them susceptible to the types of problems that caused the financial crisis. One issue is the physical distance between loan originators and borrowers. Good lending results from a relationship with borrowers, and regional banks are in a better position to take advantage of those relationships. She added that five banks controlling two-thirds of mortgage origination and credit cards is fundamentally unbalanced.

Instead, she suggested “supercharging” regional lenders. One possibility is that if stress tests help healthy banks and lead them to return TARP money, some of those funds could be transferred to local banks to encourage consolidation (on a smaller scale) in that sector. She also sees the potential for regional banks to take on business from nonblank lenders who were decimated by the subprime crisis.

Regional lenders have grown angry at their larger counterparts, as evidenced by a conference in Phoenix last week. They are angry that the big players have given bankers a bad name. They cheered comments from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. chief Sheila Bair about the need to clamp down on megabanks.

However, not all smaller banks are created equal. While the majority of local banks are faring well and didn’t receive any TARP money, most of the 42 banks that have failed since the start of last year were community institutions.
Seems she's been up to speed about this, since before this was this...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty

the rest of my post had

Where are the pitchforks???

I am hard-pressed to see where that could be misconstrued as "defending this crap"

The four-letter question taken out of context is hardly a bandaid on the fear-mongering superlatives that you opened your post with:

We are teh generation who gets to watch as our government completely disregards the Constitution and becomes a self-sustaining monster that is out to kill us all

Geithner Seeks Broad Power To Seize Firms

You blame the government that is trying to send message to the greed-addicted Wall St junkies for an attempt "to kill us all." The government wouldn't get involved if the financiers didn't screw up by setting no limit to their greed. Isn't it true that it was them hidding behind all those mindless slogans about free enterprise who tried to "kill us?"

The AIG bonuses was the last straw. This is the deal: The government will provide a rescue package to the financial firms, but the execs will have no power to decide how the money would be used to accomplish the intended. Too bad that some financiers mistook freedom for anarchy. They must be really fcked up in their heads badly to provoke a radical response from the government like that.

The government is not out to kill "them" the working people with average wages, as you announced and failed to elaborate further on how the "killing" would go exactly down -- unless "us" means you and the other greedy monsters.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

I agree, a fiat currency would not survive on a World level.. to many countries would find ways to cheat the system..

The problem with a gold backed global currency is that there is only so much gold, it isn't abundant.

The amount of Dollars to Gold can be changed, as inflation grows. Pegging a dollar to something only means that you are using that entity or object as a source for consistency.. the only true Gold currency is Gold it's self.. which Humanity will never again see.

The issuer of that currency could easily take it out of the country by not even buying it.

If there where a world wide currency each country would have a constant influx of new currency based on production, the only way the currency could be removed is if that state voted so.

using the Euro model of course.

I don't support any Currency pegged to faith. Like the Dollar. Or essentially all world currencies.

I do feel that if we are going to be a Globalist Society, a World connected in every way imaginable.. eventually countries will begin forming larger and larger economic zones sharing currencies. For practical purposes if anything else. I certainly do not see this economic cycle as being the end of Globalism, sadly.. it is only growing pains. Or perhaps, the old system officially dying.

America is being replaced, whether we like it or not. Globalism is here to stay, and will increase drastically this century.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stander

Got Band-Aids....Chainmaille...Deep Hole...?

...priceless...

Dear Pause:

You can now offically start yer Jiffy-Pop Contraption...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a8929c073e44.jpg[/atsimg]
Regards,
Hx3

(Watch carefully...excessive heating will scorch lower kernels...)

All Ordinaries 3,502.80 7:06PM ET -14.50 (-0.41%)
NZSE 50 2,628.78 7:04PM ET -6.56 (-0.25%)

Obama admin. seeks powers to shut firms like AIG
www.reuters.com...

Goldman Sachs' speed to repay TARP may spur others
www.reuters.com...

U.S. financial firms want more on mark-to-market
www.reuters.com...

U.S. boardroom group launches governance campaign
www.reuters.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Damn you people are cool...and fun!

F Me Runnin'...seriously...this has me TERRIFIED! If they get their claws on people's pensions and 401's,there will be a war right here,I am convinced:

www.bloomberg.com...

"One Treasury statement yesterday said the type of securities being targeted are “held by banks as well as insurance companies, pension funds, mutual funds, and funds held in individual retirement accounts.”

“While I think highly of the ‘Loan Program,’ I believe the ‘Securities Program’ stinks like a ‘pay for play’ program,” Rosner wrote in a note to clients yesterday. “Once the market and public figures out the truth of this program, whether tomorrow or in a few years, I expect it will become a rightful focus of public outrage on a scale not yet seen.”

THIS could be a disaster for any money many of us have left as I read it.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

well...looks like these people won't have to worry about such things...

New York governor aims to trim 8,900 state workers
www.reuters.com...

NEW YORK, March 24 (Reuters) - About 8,900 New York state workers stand to lose their jobs through layoffs and attrition because their unions spurned other ways of saving money, a budget spokesman said on Tuesday.

"The governor has repeatedly said ... that this is not where we wanted to end up and this is not a good outcome," said spokesman Jeffrey Gordon.

Trimming this many state workers will save $481 million, Gordon said. New York's economy has slid with Wall Street and Governor David Paterson and legislative leaders earlier on Tuesday said revenues had fallen another $2.2 billion, which widened next year's deficit to at least $16 billion.

The head of one of the biggest unions, Civil Service Employees Association President Danny Donohue, said in a statement: "We've been trying to give him the benefit of the doubt, but if Governor Paterson really believes that putting nearly 9,000 New Yorkers out of work is a good idea, he really is out of touch with life on Main Street."

One of the Democratic governor's cost savings that the unions rejected was deferring five days of pay until the economy improves or they retire, Gordon said.

Though the state employs a total of about 200,000 workers, only about 141,000 of these are under the governor's control. The rest work for state universities, the comptroller or the legislature, for example, Gordon noted.
...And Larry Kudlow is still lookin' fer Mustard Seeds and laughin' it up...BUTT NUGGET!!!

I give up on updating the Depression thread today...unless it's BIG news...Carpal Tunnel severe today...
Start from here...and look...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Sad because I have lots of family in NY State.

That news REALLY won't help Governor Patterson whose approval rating is like 26% or something? Asshat.

"Butt Nugget" might well be the word of the week,LMAOROF!!!

[edit on 24-3-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Hastobemoretolife

you have mail

2nd line

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by elston

Hmmmm...big news of southern utilitys cutting us off???

I saw some headlines earlier...

NZSE 50 2,626.87 7:30PM ET -8.47 (-0.32%)

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Need some comic relief?

The populous DEMANDS!!! American Idol.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0dc0bd119ca5.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm waiting for the presidential news conference, I wonder what he'll say and if anything will be mind blowing to the economy.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Fox Confirms: Letters mimicking anthrax scare sent to Congress
www.foxnews.com...,2009-03-24

Per Pergram
This is confirmed. A police source indicates that US Postal Inspectors are also looking into this and the letters were received in the last few days.
Per Levine at DOJ:
US Postal official says this was a "non-threatening incident." Official also confirmed that the letters were sent by a documentary crew. Asked whether it may have been from a news organization (as some rumors have said) the official said that is not the case, it is a documentary crew.
The official said they are still trying to determine exactly what the documentary crew was trying to ascertain (as in, why they sent the letters).
Asked -- just for the heck of it -- if the documentary crew was Borat, the official said no.
Letters mimicking anthrax scare sent to Congress
Eds: ADDS background of 2001 anthrax mailings.
By DEVLIN BARRETT
Associated Press Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Federal authorities are investigating a documentary film crew that allegedly sent letters to Congress mimicking the anthrax mailings weeks after the 9/11 attacks.
An official said the investigation started late last week and the letters were written to look exactly like the ones that were sent to Sen. Patrick Leahy and then-Sen. Tom Daschle in 2001. The official said the copycat letters did not contain any white powder. He spoke on condition of anonymity because the case is still under investigation.
Authorities did not identify the film crew, and it was not immediately clear if they would face criminal charges. The FBI and U.S. Capitol Police declined to comment.
After anthrax-laced letters were sent to lawmakers and media outlets in late 2001, the FBI and the Justice Department spent years searching unsuccessfully for the culprit.
The mailings sickened 17 people and killed an elderly Connecticut woman. Coming shortly after the 2001 terror attacks, the case stoked fears about public safety and raised new questions about the government's ability to protect its citizens from terror attacks.
As a result, officials also made drastic changes in how Congress receives and inspects its mail.
In 2008, Army scientist Bruce Ivins, who had worked for the government on anthrax, killed himself amid intense scrutiny from prosecutors.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

You never cease to delight!

I actually really like AI because you have to DO something to be on there and I can't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow myself.
(ducks the beer cans being hurled at her) I am sorta' pissed I have to listen to the Big O yet again as he answers reporters questions (which of course have been given to him ahead of time)while beaming like a Cheshire Cat on speed rather than being able to lose myself for a couple of hours in brain-rotting at it's finest.
PLUS,I'm always amused by men in eyeliner...

[edit on 24-3-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
CNN Now Obama is speaking on the crisis and his "Strategy".

Don't miss it.

posted on Mar, 24 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Heh...He must of gotten Borg occular Implants...

I see no Tele-Prompters...

...there's those words again...debt, credit, spending, growth...

...we're all in this together...how come the banks get all the money???

new topics

top topics

<< 169  170  171    173  174  175 >>

join