It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people continue to pay taxes?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Continuing my post;

The income tax pays around $800 billion dollars of the $3.1 trillion dollar annual budget. So, $2,300,000,000,000 comes from other sources such as capital gains tax. We do not need a tax on personal payroll, at all.

Let them cut back on military expenses. We already have the most powerful military in the world, we are not in danger. We need not police the world. The war on terrorism is baseless and falsely started. We should be promoting peaceful brotherhood, not war or revenge. We need to conserve resources, not spend them. We do not want more enemies, but more allies.

If you are all too stupid to realize the truth of my words, I feel that I have no choice but to leave this country for a country with better Liberty.

[edit on 14 10 2008 by PeteLee]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PeteLee

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding.

Too bad everyone has been brainwashed/scared into obeying the IRS and shaking in anticipation (read: fear) whenever the Fed decides to make an announcement.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Look, it's pretty simple. Pretty much every bit of income tax goes to paying interest on the government debt. The myriad other taxes pay for our few remaining services. This is like carte blanche for them to tax and spend indiscriminately. So if we stop paying taxes (which are unconstitutional and which there is NO LAW REQUIRING IT), they quit wasting money on wars and other crap which we don't approve of. People say vote with your money, well this is kind of similar. I say cut em off. If this is coordinated they can't arrest everybody unless they declare martial law. Pretty soon they will default on the interest and won't be able to function, making it easier (not easy) for us to overthrow the bastards. They will print off gobs of money, which will hyperinflate, and if they default the currency will be worthless anyway. Which levels the playing field for the regular citizens. The best way to beat them is to stop being their slaves and giving them our money. This is the best way I can think of to bring them down.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by CapsFan8
They will print off gobs of money, which will hyperinflate, and if they default the currency will be worthless anyway.

That's nice! Without money to buy oil, the United States won't have gas to drive, and the whole country will starve/riot/TEOTWAWKI. You are one of these people who can cut off their left testicle just to prove a point. Good luck.

Sorry but I don't want starvation and plague for my children.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by spines

Originally posted by jimmyx
ok... that was a little crass humor... but if people did not pay their taxes, and if it was done on a grand scale, could put our country into chaos. we need to work within the system to use a scalpel rather then an axe, to make sound tax cuts.

The income tax you pay does nothing to support our infastructure. Not paying your income tax would not send our country into chaos. Do a search around and discover what your income tax actually pays for.

I say again, the problem with this country is ignorance; both forced and accepted.

actually paying taxes and what they are paying for are 2 differnet arguements...hell ...i don't like what they are paying for anymore then anybody else. but who do you think is going to pay for infrastructure? and if YOU do some research, you will see that down through history, many honest and intelligent people have tried to resolve the financing of a large and civilized country in the most fairest way. greed, cronyism, lobbying, have unfortunately corrupted the process and made people distrust our bloated government.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The OP has obviously never tangled with the IRS!

Really, that's all there is to say. So it fits in one line.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
People pay taxes because they realize the rules of the game. Want to live in this society that doesn't belong to us, you must pay them to live and benefit from it. It really is that simple. You have the use of free will to not comply regardless of the consequences for not complying. I guess ultimately it depends on what you are hoping to gain in the short and long run.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Double_Nought_Spy

Actually, yes I have.

The Tax Law division as a matter of fact.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think the real question is are taxes constitutional? Some people say no but the majority of scholars say yes.

So why pay taxes, because of you dont you go to jail and get everything you owe taking away.

Is it fair? No, but paying them beats going to jail.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Constitutional Scholar

And what was taken away from you?

Your house, maybe? Your livelihood? Or maybe you had a tense exchange of letters?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Double_Nought_Spy

Absolutely nothing. I stood my ground and offered to go to court to get the proof I requested.

Somehow their mind changed after that.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Because what ever you hear..you have to pay your tax's

or they will take your house/car...every dime you got.
thus we pay it out of fear at least 70% do.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double_Nought_Spy
The OP has obviously never tangled with the IRS!

Really, that's all there is to say. So it fits in one line.

The OP said that he manages to evade paying taxes. There is a difference.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Why do people continue to pay taxes?
Fully auto guns
Snipers
Armored transports
tanks
helicopters
men in body armor
That will come and get you if they dont get there taxes! And if they cant just come in and get you they will kill you when they have the opertunity!

FEAR its just that simple!

Boy its funny I think I remember your four fathers warning us of being afraid of our government! But what the hell did they know! I mean they didnt even think the Constitution was a living document to be changed when it fit the needs of the people in charge! BOY WERE THEY CRAZY look how well it has worked out!

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The point is, it is their game and you will play it. One way or another, you will play their game. You might beat them at it, but most people do not. So the answer to the OP's question, as has been stated by several others, is that people generally continue to pay their taxes because they don't have any real choice. Not everyone is as clever (or, for all we know, irresponsible) as the OP.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
I think the real question is are taxes constitutional? Some people say no but the majority of scholars say yes.

So why pay taxes, because of you dont you go to jail and get everything you owe taking away.

Section 8 - Powers of Congress

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and general Welfare of the United States;

The 16th Amendment:

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

The Constitution is this wonderful document that is so easy to read and understand a child could do it. For some reason the anti-tax crowd can not though. Hmmm?

Low income people pay no Income Taxes at all now. They complain about them even though they don't pay any of them. I've never quite understood that. I'm still trying to figure out how they are going to give 95% of us tax cuts, when nearly half don't pay any to start with? Go figure?

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltfever

FEAR its just that simple!

Not entirely true. I don't mind taxes as long as they are spent for my benefit and wisely. I kind of like living in a place that has roads, freeways, schools, utilities and the like. I don't mind paying my share to have those things.

The IRS exists because of people who want it all, but don't want to pay like everyone else. You know, the leeches of society. Give me, give me, give me, but I want it for free, let someone else do my work and pay my bills, I'm having a party.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   
because they dont know any better OP.

I stopped paying income taxes recently, I know I will
be getting lots of mail very shortly.

The last straw for me was when my senator voted yes for
the bailout when the people clearly wanted her to vote no.
I thought what??? ok fine , no taxation without representation!!! They do
whatever the big banksters want them to do, they represent the
banksters!!
I'm not helping to pay for that crap anymore.

posted on Oct, 15 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

It's this very same mentality that is responsible for this mess in the first place. You are not only sacrificing your naturally given freedoms, but your honor and pride by paying when they say "PAY!" If people had the balls to fight for what is theirs by birthright, we would have a lot less problems, especially as the money YOU pay them goes right to learning ways how to make you even more subservient.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

income taxes arent used to fund any of the things you mentioned.

Why continue to pay them?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join