It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Election Day in Canada 2008

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nivek Serca
Please think for yourselves rather than listen to the media or AD's and just echo them as if you have something new to say.

That Tory-Blue koolaid leads you to presume a little too much. Take comfort in the fact that you needn't even vote, because I cancelled it out for you.

But vote anyway...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
This got me thinking . . . when was the last time Canadians had a leader of substance . . . sombody who actually seemed genuine in the public eye, wasn't giggled at in social circles, wasn't outright snickered when in foreign countries, and generally a person Canadians held their heads high and said, Yes . . .that is our leader.

Harper . . . nope . . .

Paul Martin . . . bwaaaaahahahahahaaha . . . couldn't even say that one with a straight face, although his dad probably would have made an amazing PM.

Cretien . . . doubt it

Kim Campbell . . . uh . . . . Kim who

Brian Mulroney . . . sellout tush kisser, fled to the states twelve minutes after his term of office ended.

John Turner . . . a frumpier version of Paul Martin

Joe Clark . . . aka Joe who . . .

Really . . . was it all the way back to Trudeau to find somebody who was actually admired somewhere else besides the House of Commons and by their own party?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I may vote Liberal. Although I am conservative in many ways. ie. fiscal restraint, free markets, etc

I am still undecided.

In no way will I vote for Harper as his idea of change resembles a Church-Nazi wetdream in my opinion. (if that is bad phrasing from an ATS mod standpoint I apoligize and no disrespect to Conservatives as I share a lot of your values as well)

The idea that the Canadian Art scene is on the chopping block synched it for me. And it was not the budget cut being tabled that struck me as unCanadian it was the way the Conservatives tried to sell it that irked me.

Harper stating that the average Canadian, when he gets home, does not want to see "drugs, sex" (Trailer Park Boys) and then tried to play it up as we as Canadaians see this type of "Art" as undesireable.

The fact that he "decided" for me what I want to see on my TV did it for me.

Long Live the Trailer Park Boys. (WARNING WARNING WARNING VERY BAD LANGUAGE ETC)

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
"Really . . . was it all the way back to Trudeau to find somebody who was actually admired somewhere else besides the House of Commons and by their own party?"

This is true, his funeral was like a royal had died, most of the nation grieved. His son is young and fresh and people may disagree with him on some topics, but I believe, he is slated to be Canada's next best leader.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by Blue_Jay33]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
For Americans and others around the world who don't know who he is.

JUSTIN TRUDEAU

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
"Really . . . was it all the way back to Trudeau to find somebody who was actually admired somewhere else besides the House of Commons and by their own party?"

I'd have to agree. Da little guy from Shawinigan gave us some fine moments...like when he grabbed that protester who got in his face by the throat and tossed him down...Quebec-style rough and tumble politics at its best! But aside from Jean's high spirits, who was the last PM to make you proud to be Canadian? Gotta be Trudeau.

I tell ya, I really like the fact that Her Majesty's representative is a black female francophone born in Haiti...and our American cousins figure they have diversity covered with Obama...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
NDP will be getting my vote. I like Jack Layton, and out of all the candidates, he's the only one I trust.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Nivek Serca

Being as I'm a provincial employee I have to disagree with you. McGuinty is MUCH more preferable than the Harris gov't.

As to this election I think Harper will lose some, the Lib's lose more and the NDP racking those votes in. In the end another Tory minority.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoalPoster
This got me thinking . . . when was the last time Canadians had a leader of substance . . . Really . . . was it all the way back to Trudeau to find somebody who was actually admired somewhere else besides the House of Commons and by their own party?

Hardly man. Trudeau was a communist and was loathed equally in Quebec and the ROC. The only one close to your list is Pearson and that was a stretch. Trudeau was the single most useless and arrogant PM this country ever had, bent on turning it into Cuba North. Good riddance!

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid As to this election I think Harper will lose some, the Lib's lose more and the NDP racking those votes in. In the end another Tory minority.

In the recent past, we had the centre-right Tories merge with the right-wing Reform (through the duplicity of Peter McKay who lost his honour that day) and the result is Conservative minus the Progressive.

Instead of another Tory minority being fed by a quiescent opposition, why not have a Liberal/NDP coalition government. Frankly, they have more in common with each other than they do with Harper, and I'm betting we'd get better government. I heard a comic say the other day that majority government is like giving your manic friend your credit card and making him promise not to misuse it. Strange bedfellows and cooperation makes for a better House.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Johnny, a Liberal NDP coalition would bankrupt this great nation. An you lefties think that Bush was bad. Don't you remember Bob Rae and his [non]finance minister Floyd Laughren?? We're still paying for that public sector sponsored protest vote.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
An you lefties think that Bush was bad.

Do you think that you could make your point without that partisan BS? Try please. This isn't America.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Sorry, I wasn't aware of that, given that it's North America and all....
So who's your pick Intrepid? I got a Harper minority with a weakened Liberal and NDP opposition. Lizzie May will be nowhere in sight.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic
So who's your pick Intrepid? I got a Harper minority with a weakened Liberal and NDP opposition. Lizzie May will be nowhere in sight.

Pretty much how I see it but the NDP will gain seats imo.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
I have to say best thing right now is hoping Harper doesn't get a majority, there's no question the PC party will remain at the helm of the Canadian government. I'm not to sure who will get my vote but leaning towards Green.

Btw who else thought the debate was like watching a bunch of kids fighting..on a historical note it will be the 40th time since confederation that we will be hitting the polls on a federal level.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Manitoba will definately go conservative. I think Harper still has a pretty good chance at a majority and thank goodness for that. I do not want a multi-headed Al Gore having majority in my country.

I think it would be better for our country to continue to move away from European way of doing things and shift towards a more free market, more capitalistic American system of government. What I mean by that is lower taxes, moving towards actual free trade, and less nanny state policies.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cool Hand Luke
I think it would be better for our country to continue to move away from European way of doing things and shift towards a more free market, more capitalistic American system of government.

Well if Harper gets his majority you'll get your wish.

Edit to add: And you see how well that's working out down south.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by intrepid]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Intrepid,

Being a provincial employee, you really don't have much to complain about which party is running the province.

I too would love to have a job for life, and then get a great pension when I retire early.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cynic Don't you remember Bob Rae and his [non]finance minister Floyd Laughren?? We're still paying for that public sector sponsored protest vote.

What gets left out of that argument is the fact that they did not cause the recession...they were left to deal with it though, and they chose to try and spend their way out of it. That is to say using govenment projects, etc to try and stimulate the economy. This was the same strategy attempted to deal with the Great Depression. Did it work then? Who knows...WWII came along and kick-started the economy instead.

I got 'Rae days', but it is was structured so that it really didn't hurt...and I was putting up a huge stink about it!!

I say if you favour the US style of governance...there's the door. I like my Canada, and I resent the way the neocons/theocons are perverting our national identity and way of life. There is a difference.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Has anybody heard about any problems while trying to vote?

The Election Laws have been changed this time around so you need a piece of ID with your photo and address plus one other piece of something with your name and address on it, such as a hydro or phone bill.

A couple here in NB tried to use their passport as valid Government issued ID and were refused their vote. Just wondering if anybody else has heard of any problems.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join