It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Election Day in Canada 2008

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

If voting changed anything.. it would be illegal..

false sense of well being... the control was and will never be in the hands of the people.. voting is "the only way to change things"? im not holding my breath...

im pretty sure even if I did vote the same crap would unfold anyways

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by whiskeyswiller
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Sure you can.

What an philosopher from a different country, with different beliefs and a different time has to do with a party that is more to the centre than the right, I have no clue what it has to do with the election but I think it's great to see it there.

Me too. I just couldn't waste the opportunity to pipe up, though.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Grafilthy

This is where the problem lies.

Stephen Harper was the vice-president/president of the National Citizens Coalition from 1997-2002.

The NCC is a well-funded right-wing Canadian lobby group that has been heavily involved in advertising and political campaigns and legal challenges in support of its goals of "more freedom with less government." The impetus that led Colin M Brown to found the organization in 1967 was his stalwart opposition, as an insurance agent and doctor's son, to public health insurance or "socialized medicine," as it was framed at the time by its opponents.

en.wikipedia.org...

I have no belief that Stephen Harper will not introduce his incrementalism on too Canada's health care system.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by WuTang

It's cool to start posting results now. Canadian media stations already are.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
A Canadian here, and yes, I voted, but being the eternal pessimist, I don't expect much to change, no matter what party gets in. The candidates all make big promises, and then when it comes time to deliver, they are nowhere to be found.
But what can you do? You vote, and you takes your chances.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NationAstray

good post but we as a nation need a new party not the big 3 self serving ones.as to Dions carbon tax here is a little info for all Canadians our great provincial liberals here in Ontario just slipped in a carbon tax in the rear door about 2 to 3 months ago it is 3 to 9 cents per litre of oil for recycling fees,funny that all used oil in Ontario is picked up and paid for and recycled by companies such as breslube in breslau Ontario ,compliments of MR Dalton MCFIBERIL.IF YOU DOUBT IT NEXT TIME YOUR IN CTC,OR TSC farm supply check it out for your self .as to Stephen Harper he is for corporate Canada only ,last year he gave over 25 million tax dollars to the oil companies for exploration and research what a joke they still don't seem to know how to make gas from oil,they the oil companies were asked to build a new plant to refine oil for Canada their answer was no.they made how many billion profit i believe it is time the oil companies used their own profit instead of holding the world at ransom for their products-and our leaders really need to grow some parts .as to the ndp good ideas in principal but the cost to us is astronomically high the same with the liberals.here in Canada we have to many levels of government and it seems that one level does not know what the other is doing ,and it seems that our tax dollars grow freely on trees and is a renewable resource by the governmental parties of this land,there is way to much tax and no representation at all ,what is it going to take to smarten up our leaders and the people in this land -our own vertion of the Boston Tea Party.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ZombieSlayer

Only in the East. CBC news world here now has a static image of Treehouse TV. I think polls close 8pm PST. (EDIT- Wrong)

Edit With a quote from CTV

The results from Tuesday's election will not be made public until after the polls close in British Columbia at 7 p.m. local time, 10 p.m. ET.

So 2 or 3 minutes away.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by WuTang]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Yeah, my brother got shafted when his passport wasn't good enough to vote, so after the rest of us voted we just left. It was pretty sweet when my brother shouted something out like 'this is a sham election!" because he was pissed off at being refused.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Why didn't your brother bring sufficient ID then?

Elections Canada reminds voters to bring ID

Tuesday marks the first general election in which voters must present identification at the polling stations. In terms of physical ID, voters have two choices:

* Government-issued photo ID with an address (but not a passport).
* Two pieces of ID without a photo, as long as one has your address. These can be bills, a health card or a library card.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

It's just one piece of photo i.d. with your name and address. Or a non photo i.d. plus a piece of mail proving your address. I brought my i.d. and a letter from the gov. but I didn't need the latter. Alternatively you can also just swear an oath and have someone from your electoral riding who has i.d. and is already registered vouch for you.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I just got back from voting a few hours ago, I showed my passport and didn't have any problems... They did give me a funny look because my Passport address is in Alberta, but I'm going to University in BC. However, I am regiestered to vote here in BC.

This election my vote went to the Green Party, they delivered the best interview to the University Paper.

- Carrot

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   

First that's not true.

www.elections.ca...

Identity Cards
# Health Card
# Social Insurance Number Card
# Birth Certificate
# Driver’s Licence
# Canadian Passport

Fifth on the list. Please don't just make stuff up.

Well the polls are closed. The Conservatives are leading in 41 and Elected on 102. they are flirting closely with their Majority. This could be a close one.

I wonder who the Conservatives will try to lure over to the Government side if they are that close?

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
It appears that BC is goign Blue. It's still pretty early but if the Conservatives can take alot of seats in BC, they may get it.

It also doesn't look like the Greens are going to win any seats either.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Well I guess you can be added to the list of people who are unaware of the new rules for this election. I'm not making anything up, you're just uninformed. Please before you insult people by saying they're making stuff up do some research. Thank you.

Many voters across country unaware of new voting rules requiring ID

People across the country were having some difficulties today casting their ballots in the federal election.

An Elections Canada official says many voters were unaware of a new rule that states they must present identification showing their name and address.

Dana Doiron says people have been turning up with passports or other ID that do not contain an address, which they now need to vote.

www.winnipegfreepress.com...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I'm still predicting a minorty. A very close minority - floor crossing majority close even.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Unless thats been changed, the Official Elections Canada website lists them as acceptable.

We checked that on Monday for a friend of mine who just came back into the country last week and doesn't have NB ID yet. He voted today with his passport so its a valid ID.

Edited to add: His passport contained his address, his parents address where the Voters List had him registered as living at. That would be the difference. If there passport didn't have their address, it wouldn't have been accepted. So you are correct.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Let us be civil to the Mod's please...

Before we point fingers at who is and who is not properly informed about the exact voting procedures.... The Elections Canada website would be the best place to reference.

- Carrot

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
God I hope we do not have a majority Conservative Party.

One thing that caught my eye was the Independent from Quebec.

André Arthur MP (born December 21, 1943 in Quebec City), is a Canadian radio host and politician. He was elected as an independent Member of Parliament in the riding of Portneuf—Jacques-Cartier in the 2006 Canadian federal election. His father René Arthur and uncle Gérard Arthur were also radio hosts in their days.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thekherham
A Canadian here, and yes, I voted, but being the eternal pessimist, I don't expect much to change, no matter what party gets in. The candidates all make big promises, and then when it comes time to deliver, they are nowhere to be found.
But what can you do? You vote, and you takes your chances.

Actually Harper didn't make any big promises, and that is why he got my vote, and by the looks of it, the Cons have another minority.

posted on Oct, 14 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
There is a very close race going on right now in Alberta.

James Ford, Independent, in Edmonton-Sherwood Park is virtually tied with the Conservative candidate. He's actually leading by a few hundred votes.

[edit on 14-10-2008 by Duzey]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join