It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Piracy Funds Terroism?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Internet Piracy Funds Terroism?

I know this is a really strange first topic to post, but I'd really like somone to explain this too me.
I really doub't terroist groups such as Al Qaeda send people to stand in allyways selling Pirate DvDs.

Why won't FACT just admit that this is a poor attempt at a campain to stop Internet Piracy?

Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I always laugh at this too....

I mean how would the federation against copyright theft know this? Have they traced the connections from hollywood to Afghanistan?

Methinks it's just a pathetic attempt to A) stop piracy and B) shed fear...

It's like that advert where it says 'you wouldn't steal a car, so why steal a film?'

Well, if i could download a car then I bloody would

Plus, most people i know DO download music illegaly and then go on to BUY their favoured albums at a later date.... almost like its a test product.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Excacaly what i'm getting at

If this has been PROVED, it can therefore be STOPPED.
If they can trace the sale of Illigal Piracy back to Terrosit Groups, they then KNOW where they are!? Surley?!

What this ad should say is "PIRACY COULD FUND TERROISM.. MAYBE... WE'RE NOT TOO SURE", but making such a statement like this is really stupid.
Knowing that it isn't correct, makes me want to download more stuff.

What's next, "GOD HATES INTERNET PIRACY".....

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
well, seems to me, as the US is the #1 state sponsor of terrorism (contras in and coups in south america, bay of pigs, etc) then paying taxes supports terrorism and we should stop that as well.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
What a load of bull.

The biggest funders of terrorism are a) taxes and b) drug money (guarded by troops paid by tax money...).

That campaign is a vaguely disguised attempt at guarding copyright, which is another artificial scarcity mechanism designed to centralise wealth into the elite system.

And as for piracy, most piracy is peer to peer networks where each user actually pays for his bandwidth and shares information at a cost to himself. It funds nothing but freedom imho.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
wait so buying pirate copies funds terrorism

but direct downloads from kazaa and bittorrent where it costs you nothing is perfectly fine as that doesnt aid terrorism becasue no one gets paid anything

guess ill go do my anti terroism bit and download a bunch of films and give away free copies so people dont have to buy from the evil terrorists

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Exacaly my point!

Terroism has absoluty nothing to do Piracy.

I honestly support P2P File transfer / limewire / torrents etc, becuase firslty, it allows people with little money to freely view movies and music.

So, basicly, what this Ad is trying to say, is that if I send a friend a copy of "Die Hard 2", BinLaden is able to purchase another AK47.
No.
The Goverment is Wrong.
As usual.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

guess ill go do my anti terroism bit and download a bunch of films and give away free copies so people dont have to buy from the evil terrorists

Me too!

SUPPORT INTERNET FILE SHARING!
STOP TERROISM!

=D

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Terrorists sell pirate copies of whatever to raise funds to commit more terrorism.

So if I got this strait, The "terrorists" Responsible for 911, bought their box cutters and plane tickets by selling pirated DVDs?

The "terrorists" that mailed the anthrax bought the envelopes and stamps by selling illegal bootlegs of Britteny Spears?

......hmmmmmm...... Do you think if I buy enough illegal copies of Windows XP that they might save up enough money to address the current administration?

Lunacy, at its finest......

BEWARE! FOR EVERY TORRENT YOU DOWNLOAD A FLUFFY BABY BUNNY DIES!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by titorite

The "terrorists" that mailed the anthrax bought the envelopes and stamps by selling illegal bootlegs of Britteny Spears?

BEWARE! FOR EVERY TORRENT YOU DOWNLOAD A FLUFFY BABY BUNNY DIES!

like we didnt already know she was evil before she became an evil muslim terrorist baldy !!!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by B.Brown
I really doub't terroist groups such as Al Qaeda send people to stand in alleyways selling Pirate DvDs. Can anyone shed some light on this situation?

Here's some documentation for you about product piracy (they also sell t-shirts) -- [but remember, they primarily protect oil pipelines for U.S. & British oil companies and in return are allowed by the City of London to monopolize the heroin trade to self-fund -- they work for and together with CIA and MI-6]. Here's your product piracy documentation:

Islamic-fundamentalist redoubts in Somalia, Mauritania, Philippines, & Tri-Border Area
Saudi Arabia, founded to spread Islam, financed construction of mosques & Islamic centers in Caracas, Buenos Aires & Brazil, & Foz do Iguaçu on Brazilian side of triple border area.
Law enforcement agencies rarely cooperate w/colleagues across borders. w/Colombian guerrilla & paramilitary groups moving firefights from countryside to cities, & re-emergence of groups like Shining Path in Peru, U.S. Southern Command responsible for hemisphere's security, wants Washington to act

www.justice.gov.il... U.S., law enforcement officials investigate crime and

funding Middle Eastern terrorists by stealing & reselling baby formula, food stamp fraud, grocery coupon scams, welfare claims, credit cards, unlicensed t-shirts sales.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
(cont)
subj: Tri-Border Area (TBA) popular w/other organized crime groups, use region to launder billions of dollars yearly & earn multi-million-dollar profits by engaging in narcotics & arms trafficking & other illicit activities;
informal tripartite alliance exists among Islamic terrorist groups, organized crime mafias, & many corrupt government or police officials in Tri-Border Area countries.
oriented toward reaping multi-million-dollar profits from illicit activities;
Chinese Mafia groups operate attempting to expand into Argentina & elsewhere;
Chinese & Russian (Chechen) mafias collaborating w/Islamic terrorist groups in region, especially w/al Qaeda;

Hong Kong Mafia, close relations w/Hezbollah network in TBA, active in product-piracy business;

indigenous Argentine, Brazilian, & Paraguayan mafia groups also active.
Efforts to Counter Organized Crime & Terrorism in TBA
widespread corruption at all levels of government & police in three TBA countries facilitates activities of Islamic terrorist groups & organized crime
capabilities of security & investigative forces in TBA inadequate for ridding region of Islamic terrorist groups, organized crime mafias, & corrupt officials who do business w/them
laws for combating terrorist fund-raising, money laundering, organized crime activities inadequate, official corruption
ref: ‘Terrorism’s New Geography’ spitfirelist.com...
---

[edit on 13-10-2008 by counterterrorist]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
haven't you heard, "everything" illegel supports terrorism.

Or at least thats what the current and past administration has been shoving down our throats....

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
If you really want to know how pirated DVDs relate to terrorism, you need to research how the Mindanao terrorist groups want to defect from the Philippines as an example. Most of their funding comes from pirated western DVDs.

I was buying a pirated DVD in the Philippines in Mindanao and had a conversation with the seller...

He told me that the money from the sales were going to the M.I.L.F. group so that they could finance their operations to separate Mindanao from the Philippines. They believe that Mindanao is a Muslim area and blah blah blah. They bomb the area all the time! When I lived there there were about 8 bombings in two years. I never ventured into the main city area during holidays and other times because it was well known that a terrorist threat was eminent.

You (western) people (I'm American) seem to think that "piracy" is "downloading" only.

It's not.

Grow up.

Open your eyes.

Don't be naive.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by counterterrorist

funding Middle Eastern terrorists by stealing & reselling baby formula, food stamp fraud, grocery coupon scams, welfare claims, credit cards, unlicensed t-shirts sales.

Sooo wait another minute..... You mean to tell me that the london 7/7 attacks were enabled because of Grocery store coupon scams? I'm sorry...as I have not yet completely lost my friggin mind I fail to understand the link between Giving someone double coupons and a non double coupon day and killing a bunch of people to incite fear.

STOP GIVING COUPONS TO TERRORIST PEOPLE !!! PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THEY ARE ONLY 30 CENTS AWAY FROM BUYING A NUCLEAR BOMB!!!!!

[edit on 13-10-2008 by titorite]

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I'm confused as to why this is "Internet Piracy".

Buying pirated DVDs isn't "internet piracy". Who, in the name of Lord Krondar, buys pirated DVDs through the internet? Whilst, I'll quibble over the actual notion of 'piracy' per se, the principle argument between 'piracy' through internet downloading is that no money changes hands; that's what the likes of the RIAA are complaining about. 'Oh noes, lost sales, starving musicians!'

Since was this about money actually changing and hands and going to the wrong people?

I won't dispute that some people might actually buy pirated DVDs from the proverbial 'man in a pub' or from 'car boots' but how is that internet piracy.

This is pathetic attempt to try and confuse two separate issues.

FACT? More like FUCT.

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician
If you really want to know how pirated DVDs relate to terrorism, you need to research how the Mindanao terrorist groups want to defect from the Philippines as an example. Most of their funding comes from pirated western DVDs.

I was buying a pirated DVD in the Philippines in Mindanao and had a conversation with the seller...

He told me that the money from the sales were going to the M.I.L.F. group so that they could finance their operations to separate Mindanao from the Philippines. They believe that Mindanao is a Muslim area and blah blah blah. They bomb the area all the time! When I lived there there were about 8 bombings in two years. I never ventured into the main city area during holidays and other times because it was well known that a terrorist threat was eminent.

You (western) people (I'm American) seem to think that "piracy" is "downloading" only.

It's not.

Grow up.

Open your eyes.

Don't be naive.

And I actually knew a group of less fortunate kids WHOM put themselves through college, doing the same thing. Does that make them a terrorist???circumstanes must be considered in all situations. Know where IM coming from..

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by counterterrorist

wait this is how we were told the IRA funded its self along with 60% donated by the american public

...... quick question who makes the money from all the heroin? the Taliban had massivley reduced the flow of heroin from afghanistan until we invaded, now afghanistan supplies 80+% of the worlds heroin and if its not going to the taliban/al-queda combo as they almost destroyed the trade who is it going to?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bazarocka

It's not.

Grow up.

Open your eyes.

Don't be naive.

And I actually knew a group of less fortunate kids WHOM put themselves through college, doing the same thing. Does that make them a terrorist???circumstanes must be considered in all situations. Know where IM coming from..

?????

What are you doing?

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Why would you "buy" a terrorist DVD when you can pirate it yourself? BELFFFFFF!

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

It's not.

Grow up.

Open your eyes.

Don't be naive.

Well, you're true to your screen name as you're really pulling stuff out of your top hat here. What part of "Internet Piracy" was problematic for you?

The example you gave which supposedly blows all this out of the water and makes us look like childish idiots, wasn't "Internet Piracy" at all. You bought a physical copy of something from someone met face-to-face - I'm assuming you didn't buy this from a vending machine - and this is somehow "internet piracy"? Where's the internet element here? How does this relate to the actual thread title and the related image?

How many people in Europe or America actually buy pirate DVDs? The vast majority of piracy - as we've been told time and time again by the likes of RIAA, MPAA - is through downloading not buying physical pirated goods; their campaign material attests to that.

I'm also under the impression that it's Far Eastern markets that are really big on buying DVDs not the West. Maybe they should 'grow-up, open their eyes and stop being naive'?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join