It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cook County Sheriff Suspends Evictions from Forclosure

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amaterasu

Originally posted by pai mei

They created money out of nothing until they reached their limit, now they got their bailout, why do they still want people's homes ?

Well now, isn't that just like Google! Your vid is down.

Boycott Google, I'm telling you!

This is what he is talking about..

video.google.com...

Google Video Link

The thing is you guys say how these banks are doing this all legal, how tf are they doing it legal when they pretty much dont even have money to back it up...

If everyone called in all the money that is owed, the banks would be screwed, why cause there is more debt out there than $$$.. so do me a favor, RESEARCH.. They make money from nothing and call it something... Last i checked if I did that i goto jail.. how about you?

[edit on 10/9/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I like it, but... You have to think about it. People in power doing what they think is morally right is slippery slope. What if they thought it was right to start a war or they are islamic and thought that someone should be stoned to death in the streets. People need to change the law not break them, it set a bad pressident.

Nothing against Islam or War, i simply took the first examples that came to mind.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I'm from Cook county originally. Honestly, a move like this does not suprise me.

There was a time when during the winter, if you could not pay your electric bill, they shut it off, and people were dying because the winters up there get quite brutal at times. If I remember correctly, Cook was one of the first counties to basically make it illegal to turn someone's power off during the winter no matter what the reason. So a move to protect the people from this area is no suprise at all.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by n0tsan3
I like it, but... You have to think about it. People in power doing what they think is morally right is slippery slope. What if they thought it was right to start a war or they are islamic and thought that someone should be stoned to death in the streets. People need to change the law not break them, it set a bad pressident.

Nothing against Islam or War, i simply took the first examples that came to mind.

I realize what you're getting at, but there is a point where you DO have to break the law. There are untold years and man-hours that go in ot getting the necessary support for changing a law, and if the bailout taught us anything, it's that the current sitting legislators do NOT have the peoples' best interest in mind, and thus would likely NEVER change the law.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Good,for Sheriff Dart standing up for the people.It's good to see a law enforcement department actually living up to the "protect and serve" motto.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine

I think it is up to the renters to see if a property is in trouble before
you rent.

I'm sorry, but i think that is one of the most ridiculous statements that i have ever heard.

It's legal, the sheriff is an elected official and is allowed to do his job as he sees fit.

I admire him for his actions and only wish that sherriffs across the country would follow suit. At least we know that someone in a posittion of authority cares about the average man and is refusing to help these greedy companies.

Since i live in cook county i intend to contact his offfice and tell him what a great thing i think he is doing by taking this stand.

Maybe people should email this story to their sheriffs and tell them how they support this man's actions and suggest that they would like for their sheriff to do the same.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Thank God for this good man. I hope the greedy real estate cabal doesn't stop him or hurt him. He is a true hero.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yet another public official who doesnt do the job he was elected/hired to do.

The bank owns the property, the sheriffs personal feelings mean nothing.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Constitutional Scholar

Yet another ignorant CIVILIAN who not ONLY doesnt have the ability to go back and find out what the topic IS, but also not the cognitive ability to see that his fellow citizens ( READ: TENANTS) are in trouble and NEED our help.

You're a pathetic human being in my opinion, and this IS the damn USA and I WILL have my opinion.

AB1

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Civilian? Quite an ignorant assumption you made there.

The bank is the rightful owner of the property and the sheriff is derelict in his duties to uphold the law and enforce court orders.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by alphabetaone

Originally posted by Constitutional Scholar

Yet another ignorant CIVILIAN who not ONLY doesnt have the ability to go back and find out what the topic IS, but also not the cognitive ability to see that his fellow citizens ( READ: TENANTS) are in trouble and NEED our help.

You're a pathetic human being in my opinion, and this IS the damn USA and I WILL have my opinion.

AB1

You scream about having your opinion but call him/her a pathetic human being for having his or her own opinion?

Someone needs a reality check into who's really pathetic.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
AB1-

I'll ask you the same question I asked in another thread:

If your car was stolen, but the car thief really needed your car, would you mind if the local PD didnt investigate and arrest the guy who stole you car?

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Constitutional Scholar]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Constitutional Scholar

I'll go one further, if he/she really needed it, I would tell em to keep it.

AB1

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
How can he do that if the bank owns the property?

I can see it helping people, but as to being legal I do not see it.
I think it is up to the renters to see if a property is in trouble before
you rent. If it happens you have a suit against the one who rented to you, but it would be a civil matter.

Up to the renters to see if a property is in trouble before renting? How?
Are renters able to request confidential mortgage contracts of their landlord?

The vast majority of these properties were not in trouble just a few months ago. The Landlord recieves notices of forclosure...not the renters.

Actually it is in the Landlords best interest to keep renters in the dark about a potential foreclosure since they can continue to collect rents all the way up until the Sheriff knocks on the door with a few deputies to drag the stunned renters belongings to the curb.

There is sometimes a difference between what is legally permissable and what is RIGHT.

BRAVO to this sheriff for putting his career on the line for what is right.

When a rental property is involved the banks should be required to give fair notice of foreclosure to not just the landlord, but the renters of that property.

Putting families that have been diligently paying their rent on time on the street without any notice....Maybe legal, but NOT RIGHT.

link   
reply to post by sos37

Wrong... Im not screaming at him or her for having their opinion, im just exercising the right to use mine, and being emphatic about it.

AB1

[edit on 9-10-2008 by alphabetaone]

link   

OK my wife really needs a new car.

Now, whats your address,and what type of car do you have for her? Mind leaving the keys in it?

[edit on 9-10-2008 by Constitutional Scholar]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

So, are you assigning your wife the role of a thief? Tell you what, to leave the keys in the car is illegal, but come to NJ, and steal it, then when you are caught, I'll tell your wife to keep it.

AB1

Or, an afterthought, dont even wait to get caught... come to NJ, and i'll gladly give it to you or your wife if you're in such dire straights.

[edit on 9-10-2008 by alphabetaone]

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Nah, she needs the car, I'd let her go.

Besides, I prefer to stay away from the general public, as I find them to be a bit too ignorant for my tolerance level.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Then perhaps you should examine your own ignorance level.

WHO CARES if people who are deadbeats get evicted, I say screw em, but NOT TENANTS who should be given their due course and aren't.

AB1

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
lol I can't believe anyone is against the sheriff in this case.

Look, it's not ordinary forclosure time, there is an economic crisis... govt at every level HAS to step in, we can't put Americans in huge numbers out on the street, it's a ridiculous notion

For starters, forclosures in these situations are meaningless... because no one is isueing the loans to be able to buy the pproperty

it's all going to sit unslod anyway

it will be a better economic condition to keep people safe and working, in time the economy will straighten out and people will still owe the money and start paying again

they are going to have to restructure everyone, we can't have houses sitting on corners empty and people living on the street, it really would be ludicrous

this reminds me of the Y2k crisis... when people speculated that if computers couldn't count the money... they would stop shipment of food...

which is moronic, lol, we used to count the money by hand helllooooo

Foods still good, why would you not ship it because your computers down?

We have to be sane and civil...

they can SAY Americas broke... but the REALITY is it's only on paper, it's all BS, a giant lie, we produce 1/3 of the worlds food...we will always have foreign income. the houses, buildings and infrastructure are sitting there, we have all the water we could ever need and enough of our own resources to go for decades, even Oil

The problem is artificial it's paper work and business nonsense, from a place of Assets and resources... There simply is no problem but greed...

the bank owns the house yes, there is a crisis...they can't just throw everyone in the street and ,...then do nothing with those homes lol...there are no buyers, it's a simple thing

It is in everyones best interests to let this pass and restructure peoples debts when they can pay somehow... everybody wins that way...

we aren't talking forever...

but yeah, this guy is no dummy! suspend the forclosures for the duration of the crisis...

let people save up money and get back on thier feet... that's a real economic bailout...

what's ayear of no payments sop long as they are resumed, banks will get thier money, people keep thier homes...

in that time they will spend money in local businesses because they have no rent for a time... and the economy would lift...

This mans actions make nothing but good sense

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join