It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ACORN raided in Nevada vote fraud probe

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

By democrats as a whole? You can't bunch us all together as one entity. Just become one group did something stupid doesn't make me or any other democrat accountable.

God, if it worked that way, we'd all be screwed.

posted on Oct, 9 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
I think I need to jump in here. So far I'm not seeing anything sinister tying Obama to ACORN, but there is apparently a tie. I heard about this on Lou Dobbs Tonight earlier this evening. I found a transcript of his show at transcripts.cnn.com... , including the following relevant mention:

TUCKER: And ACORN has been paid $800,000 by the Obama campaign to register voters. And there's another connection between ACORN and the Democratic presidential candidate Obama. Obama, along with the Department of Justice, represented the group in a lawsuit to force the state of Illinois to comply with voter registration law, Lou.

DOBBS: So, to -- again, to be clear, there is no question that the Obama campaign is paying ACORN...

TUCKER: That's correct.

DOBBS: ... for voter registration? And that now that ACORN is being with fraudulent registration, voter fraud, in effect, across a number of states all across the country?

TUCKER: That is absolutely correct.

DOBBS: And there is no federal investigation at this point? This is absolutely obscene and outrageous.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Now it would appear form Mr. Dobbs' comments that he is upset about this link. In a way, so am I, as ACORN is apparently receiving taxpayer money to run a fraudulent voter-registration scheme. But from a pragmatic standpoint, I can see what this is supposed to accomplish. Obama's campaign, according to the excerpt above, is paying a fee to ACORN for processing new voter registration. Apparently, so is the government itself. Now, while I can see good in registering new voters, isn't this something they can simply do at the local courthouse? I registered to vote back when I was 18 by going down to the courthouse and filling out a short form. Why do we even need voter registration companies? This is more of a pork problem than a politician trying to undermine democracy.

Let's face it: voter registration does not equal votes. There is a difference between filling out a fraudulent form in order to garner a few extra dollars, and allowing fraud in the voting booths themselves. Now, it is troubling to me that this has happened, and even more so that I helped pay for it to happen, but I just don't (yet) see this as a major issue in the candidacy. I see it as a big issue on pork barrel spending (earmarks) and government accountability... and didn't Obama pledge to put all bills online for the public to peruse? That sounds like accountability right there, not a lack of it.

I as well as Sublime, am waiting for some proof of wrongdoing by Obama. After all, if the government itself is giving huge sums of money for voter registration, what is so terrible about one candidate doing the same thing? Well, aside from the fact that if the contributions were based on the number of voters registered, there is incentive to create new voters... there's that accountability issue again.

If it is proven that Obama knew (or should have known) about the fraud, and was actively assisting in aiding the fraud, then it will sway my vote (which is now for Obama, thanks to McCain's big mouth; McCain urges Bush to bypass Congress). But until then, I have to chalk it up to more frantic mudslinging by the right wing. Sorry, but this just smacks of the same associative scare tactics as Rev. Wright, Tony Rezco, etc. I'm getting awfully tired of those tactics...

TheRedneck

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Nice find! I don't think it will be investigated in time enough to effect the election though. Like I said - I can see a huge Supreme Court battle on the horizon.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
You tube video

Interesting video Well worth watching.

Obama - "I've been working alongside ACORN ... "

He was their lawyer. Looks like he might have been a foot soldier as well.
I can't tell if he was gathering voter registrations for them ...
Ya'll watch. See what you think.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I appreciate your explanations FlyersFan because they seem a lot more substantial than rumors flying around. The question I have is one of accountability and responsibility. For example, I used to work for Bank of America up until two years ago. Am I responsible for the stock market tanking? Before anyone says "no", I did work as a credit analyst giving very liberal credit to people across america (No money? No problem!). Did that "no" answer change? Why or why not? Is ACORN's activities the same then as they are now? Did Obama work for a kind of 'positive' side? Did he participate in negative things?

[edit on 10-10-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Why don't the government step in and do something about ACORN? Isn't voter fraud a federal offense? If the Republicans were accused of this you better believe it would be splashed all over the local news stations.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
This is perfect timing of revelation of real voter fraud tied to Obama. The full impact will hit voters as the story continues to expand to many states and Obama's connection is undeniable. The extent of the connection does not matter, reallity that there is one will. When Lou Dobbs on the MSM CNN starts calling this astonishing like he did last night you know the story is too big to bury any longer. The Repubs are pulling out the big guns now and angry left groups like ACORN are providing the ammo. ACORN's ties to the mortgage crisis is just icing on the cake, very thick well decorated, irresistable icing.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
ACORN doesn't register voters - that has to be done with the official electoral office in your state.

What does ACORN do? They collect AND VERIFY for the electoral office voter registration forms from people who otherwise wouldn't dream of voting.

Admittedly, I can't imagine the majority of 70 yr old Mrs B's in the riverside trailerparks of the nation being too fussed about turning up at a McCain rally.

That said, these TV raids are clearly taking advantage of people's ignorance.

If they aren't, then SHOW US THE COURT RULINGS against ACORN.

MSM never mention that it is ACORN themselves who flag the potentially fraudulent and/or incomplete forms to the electoral offices in the first place?

They have to. By law. Every form is turned in, suspect, validated or incomplete.

District judges laughing the GOP out on to the sidewalk:

Montana GOP Spanked by Judge for Bogus, Illegal Voter Challenges

U.S. District Judge Donald Molloy spanked the Montana GOP's Executive Director Jake Eaton for his unsubstantiated (and since-withdrawn) challenge to 6,000 voters in Democratic-leaning counties yesterday, solely on the basis that they'd filed change of address forms within the last 18 months.

"The timing of these challenges is so transparent that it defies common sense to believe the purpose is anything but political chicanery," he added before noting that the challenges clearly violate federal law, since they come so close before an election, and focused only on counties where Democratic-leaning voters live.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by undermind]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by undermind
Why do people forget to mention that it is ACORN themselves who flag the potentially fraudulent and/or incomplete forms to the electoral offices in the first place?

Because ACORN doesn't do their job. Not only are they not flagging fradulent forms - they are the ones actually going out and purposely getting the false forms to fill quotas.

[edit on 10/10/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Why do people forget to mention that it is ACORN themselves who flag the potentially fraudulent and/or incomplete forms to the electoral offices in the first place?

Because ACORN doesn't do their job. Not only are they not flagging fradulent forms - they are the ones actually going out and purposely getting the false forms to fill quotas.

[edit on 10/10/2008 by FlyersFan]

Then where are the court cases prosecuting these felonies?

Just one? Go ahead. You won't find any. Why?

BECAUSE ITS A FRAUDULENT CLAIM.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Then where are the court cases prosecuting these felonies?
Just one? Go ahead. You won't find any. Why?

Why? Because it just came to light. It's being uncovered as we speak.

:shk: Oy.

More Story Here

Obama and his campaign funneled hundreds of thousands of $$$ through CITIZENS SERVICES INC. - an ACORN shell corporation.

The Woods Fund and the Chicago Annenberg Challenge - involving both Obama nd Terrorist Ayers - funneled large sums of money to ACORN.

The WALL STREET JOURNAL reports that obama was an attorney for ACORN, trained ACORN activists and dispensed funds to ACORN.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Oh sorry, I just thought you might count the last 15 or so end-in-nothing times the GOP have moved on ACORN before an election.

My bad.

Oh look, here's a US Supreme Court Writ from last year detailing quite a few of those GOP moves and stating to the United States Supreme Court (Under penalty of adverse finding if statements are found to be false):

ACORN’s experience confirms that significant
voter impersonation fraud is a damaging myth.
Despite numerous investigations and lawsuits in
Florida and Ohio, ACORN has never confronted a well-
founded allegation of voter impersonation fraud. No
voter impersonation fraud has ever been prosecuted,
all relevant civil complaints have been dismissed,
and problematic voter registrations have been few.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by undermind]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

And how exactly did it just now come to light? Curious that it didn't come up well before or after the campaign, but in the one month before the election. I believe political interests have been holding this 'ace card' for when the pot got big enough. Far be it from me to cry "conspiracy" on Above Top Secret, but...

The Acorn Indictments
A union-backed outfit faces charges of election fraud. Friday, November 3, 2006 12:01 A.M. EST

So, less than a week before the midterm elections, four workers from Acorn, the liberal activist group that has registered millions of voters, have been indicted by a federal grand jury for submitting false voter registration forms to the Kansas City, Missouri, election board."

Wall Street Journal - The Acorn Indictments

If this were a big problem, an Obama linked problem, why not bring it up before the primaries to make sure the guy doesn't run? Very frustrating to me as a voter. Makes me want to vote for neither party. They appear to be playing games with the public. Brewster for President:

[edit on 10-10-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
And how exactly did it just now come to light?

I've seen blogs talking about it for months and months.
The MSM picks up only what it wants to.

Makes me want to vote for neither party.

Join me in voting for Baldwin of the Constitution Party!

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I've seen blogs talking about it for months and months.
The MSM picks up only what it wants to.

I think you're right. Media interests are finally catching up and taking aim. I do think though that a lot of these 'tips' are held until this time of year and THEN legal authorities are notified as seems the case with Nevada.

Join me in voting for Baldwin of the Constitution Party!

I will be voting, just not sure for whom yet. An online quiz I took said I should vote for Bob Barr

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

It would make sense that he would be giving them lump sums also. They are a group he worked with in the past and had no (known) problems with. He helped them get a law in place in Illinois that helped poor, elderly, and disabled people get registered to vote.

So, I can see why the Obama camp would turn to them to get voters registered. Also, in this election, most of the people they would get registered would be voting for Barrack Obama.

So let's examine the money trail and motivation:

1) Barrack pays Acorn to register voters.
    Motivation - The more votes Acorn registers, the more votes he gets in the poll, since it is likely that a large percentage of voters they register would be liberal.

2) Acorn commits voter registration fraud.
    Motivation - The more votes Acorn registers, the more funding they receive for their cause in the future.

[edit on 10-10-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
Question:

What exactly were they going to do with these registered voters? Do you think they were actually going to try to cast votes with all of those names?

Just wondering what their purpose of registering fake names was.

Good question. I can't believe I never thought about that before. I mean it's not like listing your cat and dog to get more welfare. Someone would still actually have to go to place the vote. Seems like there would have to have an awful lot of people involved to pull it off.

hmmmm....what about absentee ballots?

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by zlots331

Possibly. I mean, if they really wanted to, I am sure there is a way. It's probably not that difficult either, considering how broken our current system is.

I first thought about it when I considered how hard it would be for them to keep track of all of the fraudulent registrants they created. How did they flag them? Did they keep them in a separate book? Then I thought about how they would actually pull of getting the votes in.

Further investigation is certainly needed. We'll find out soon enough what their plans were.

posted on Oct, 10 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620
That's basically the same thing I was saying. It looks right now as if there is a tie, but that the tie is nothing more than a familiarity with the organization he worked with when he was fresh out of law school. I actually thought it was impressive that he chose to try and help the areas he grew up in via ACORN rather than jump straight into a high-paying job.

Is it just me, or is all the mud being slung toward Obama somehow making him shine? I mean, Rev. Wright may be an idiot but he brought to light the fact that Obama is not a Muslim. The Rezco tie apparently did nothing, because Obama wasn't involved in anything untoward. Now this deal with ACORN just emphasizes his self-sacrifice. Sheesh, maybe Obama should be paying Fox News for helping his campaign.

TheRedneck

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join