It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain urges Bush to bypass Congress

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

McCain urges Bush to bypass Congress

www.presstv.ir

Senator John McCain has urged the Bush administration to bypass Congress and spend a whopping one trillion dollars on bad mortgages.

In three interviews on Tuesday, the Republican presidential nominee called on the US Treasury Department to address the economic crisis independently and without congressional approval.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democraticunderground.com

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Is this really any surprise?

They are friends in it together to make as much money as they can, and bypassing congress by using a Treasury loophole would suit them just fine.

"The Treasury has the ability to buy up a trillion dollars worth of mortgages. We should move forward on that," McCain said.

In theory, a reasonable plan - but we all know that it's not about protecting Americans or anyone else except the fat cats who caused this mess in the first place.

www.presstv.ir
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Wow. I mean, just wow.

This cant HONESTLY be real? (obviously rhetorical)

And if it is? I think he has no clue the mass suicide he would be exposing the Government to that would ensue.

It would be absolutely cataclysmic for a decision of that proportion to be made.

AB1

+23 more 
posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

And this mindset, that the will of the people doesn't matter and that the elitist should be in control because the citizenry is stupid, is the main reason this man should never reach the White House, IMO.

If he thinks it's OK this time, then just like Bush, whenever he doesn't get his way in the future, he'll try to find a loophole to dodge the will of the people. Such concepts of bulldozer leadership are the reason, IMO, that our nation is in such shambles.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Is that first link an Iranian news source? Are we supposed to believe them? I don't. I think this would be big enough news that, if true, we'll hear about it from more reputable sources. Until then, I'm giving it the skunk eye.

This is not to say I trust McCain on the bailout issue. Just wary about any and all info floating around right now.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Truly.

What he is saying is that the nation should not be allowed to take the course of action they want.

Another potential President, who knows better than us... and therefore will be a 'decider' akin to the one we've got now.

Maybe he doesn't want to be elected.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Contains the video from Foxnews.....

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Pinktip]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by budski Is this really any surprise?

They are friends in it together to make as much money as they can, and bypassing congress by using a Treasury loophole would suit them just fine.

Ok, near as I can decipher, while the fat-cats are all over this bail-out like a kid on a Smartie, the man on the street has had it with paying for the party as foreclosures come closer and closer to home.

So here's where you get the measure of the Dems...if they don't go crazy on this issue then you can be sure that the election is meaningless. Either party will simply bring more of the same. But we kinda know that don't we?

In the US, as in Canada, both the right and the centre-left will screw you...just the Dems/Libs will kiss you while they're about it it.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
This what you get when you have a sitting president that has turn the constitution in this nation into a nothing more than crap.

Now like we many times told over and over in this boards, the doors has been opened so the next presidents will do as they wish without any regards for constitutional rights and checks and balances.

Darn, If McCain becomes president he pretty much will have the powers of a dictators thanks to his buddy Kind George.

Interesting how things are developing without McCain even be the president yet.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
So this is money that is already in the treasury that can be used for this purpose? Without sticking it to the taxpayers? Other than the part about it being the president acting without congressional approval (booo!) is this really as bad as it sounds? Does this idea have some merit?

*shakes head*
I should have paid more attention in economics class.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If that is not proof enough to show how horribly wrong this guy is for the Presidency then I don't know what will convince people then. He is flat out saying our voice counts for nothing! it shows he will not only continue the Bush doctrine of what I say goes and I don't care what anyone say's because I'm the decision maker but probably worse...oh brother how did these guys get into Washington?

[edit on 10/1/2008 by CaptGizmo]

[edit on 10/1/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by GirlNextDoor

Try watching the video and then commenting.

That's what he said.

The video is linked.

Then come back and discuss instead of just dismissing it out of hand.

Do you not think there may be a reason this hasn't been reported on the corporate sponsored media, after the outcry about the other bailout proposal?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
So this is money that is already in the treasury that can be used for this purpose? Without sticking it to the taxpayers? Other than the part about it being the president acting without congressional approval (booo!) is this really as bad as it sounds? Does this idea have some merit?

*shakes head*
I should have paid more attention in economics class.

So if the National debt is 11 trillion on one set of books and 50 Trillion on another set, and our annual budget deficet for next year will be at least 1 trillion, explain to me how the Treasury is just sitting on a cool Trillion with nothing better to do?

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Pinktip]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
EDIT: NM. Just found a thread dealing with what I asked in this post.

[edit on 10/1/2008 by AshleyD]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This is an Iranian web site.

Do you really expect more truth there than our own corrupt media.

bah!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
OK now I don't no who to vote for
If Senator McCain votes yes to this bill then he's out for my vote. I can't vote for either Presidential candidate so I guess I'm writing in no confidence or Ron Paul. I might not even vote at all. Just more big government with this bill and it's growing out of control. America is on it's way down with the irresponsible politicians we have in Washington.

They are doing this because they don't want to lose the power they have over these companies and the public. They won't listen to us so why listen to them.

[edit on 10/1/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Wow. Forgive me for not jumping up and down every time a news item is posted. There's a lot of BS propaganda out there for all sides, if you haven't noticed.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

Do you really expect more truth there than our own corrupt media.

bah!

Careful. The OP thinks we shouldn't question the source.

Thanks to Pinktip:

So if the National debt is 11 trillion on one set of books and 50 Trillion on another set, and our annual budget deficet for next year will be at least 1 trillion, explain to me how the Treasury is just sitting on a cool Trillion with nothing better to do?

That puts it into perspective right quick!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1

Do you really expect more truth there than our own corrupt media. bah!

Quite possibly...since it is in their best interests to do so, so that they can't be immediately dismissed out of hand. Frankly, if it is a truth that is bypassing a somnambulant mainstream media, then I don't care if it's written on a fortune cookie.

Wouldn't it be smarter to check it out first than write it off because you don't like Iran?

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Once again - there is a video linked of his ACTUAL speech.

try viewing it

This is just the kind of spiel I expect from those who wear rose coloued glasses all the time and refuse to even watch an ACTUAL INTERVIEW OF HIM SAYING IT.

Clear enough yet that there IS A VIDEO LINKED which shows what he said.

A small point - if it's in the treasury, it's the taxpayers money.

If it's taken out of the treasury it will have to be replaced at some stage with more taxpayers money.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join