It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin Problem... She's out of her league

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by eagledriver

League? I didn't say anything about League. I believe it is pretty darn scary that people think that Palin is qualified (not least herself) due to circumstances of tertiary importance, like sharing borders with two foreign countries, or being a Hockey Mom, or being cute.

She ain't qualified. Don't make me get the Pig/Lipstick analogy out on your hiney!

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

I couldn't agree with this assessment more.

Unlike some on one side of the political spectrum or the other I don't hate any of the candidates.
I try and look at what they bring to the table and quite frankly the only two things Palin bring are looks and gender.

That's about it.

It's nothing personal against her, I have no feelings either way for the woman but after looking into her credentials and watching some of the gawd-awful interviews she has given I have come to the same conclusion as this conservative writer.

She is out of her league.

She doesn't stack up against the other three in the race (and Hillary for that matter) and hearing her repeat the same thing over and over makes me wonder if she understands what she is saying or is simply parroting the memorized sound bytes fed to her.

She doesn't know what she is talking about and when she speaks about the issues it's embarrassing. Her responses seem like odd run-on sentences that loop back into themselves in an attempt to pass as a legitimate and knowledgeable answer. I think Charlie went easy on her in his interview, because he clearly knew a lot more about the issues than she did. She's so inexperienced that when she tries to speak it looks as if she is in fear of someone realizing she doesn't know what she is doing. She looks fragile, as if she knows she shouldn't be where she is. Like she said before she was picked, she doesn't know what a vice president even does.

The only thing conservatives that support this team can do now is try and shield her from the obvious and reasonable critiques with excuses of "media hardship" and "sexism" (ironically) but in reality I am sure they too know exactly what Palin is.

A gimmick. Plain and simple.

Yet this inexperienced woman with a questionable educational background could be vice president, or even president in a very uncertain time in American history.

Not to worry though, she can see Russia from her backyard and the President of Pakistan thinks she's hot.

I feel very confident now.

- Lee

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The only thing I can think of, that makes me feel better, is that she is pulling some colossal joke on the Democrats. Maybe when the debate comes, she will bust out with a triple digit I.Q. and some awesome debating skills, and catch the Democrats napping...but I really don't believe it. In fact, I have my snacks and booze ready to go and will sit back, expecting to watch Biden mop the floor with her.

I am ashamed for my country and for women, in general. THIS is the best we can do? It's like they picked some random woman, and said, "Tag! You're it!"

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup

I am ashamed for my country and for women, in general. THIS is the best we can do? It's like they picked some random woman, and said, "Tag! You're it!"

I am not ashamed for women. After all, she is just ONE woman, and her selection was done by a man. It says far more about his inability to discriminate between women and judge them as individuals than it says about the competence of women in general.

I am ashamed for McCain. It is a rebuttal of his "caring more for country than for a political win" assertions, in my opinion. If he truly did, he would not have selected a running mate this obviously incapable of leading the US should he die.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
More evidence that Gov. Palin dont have a clue about anything, this is the transcript of her latest interview with Katie Couric

Couric Why, in your view, is Roe v. Wade a bad decision?

Sarah Palin: I think it should be a states' issue not a federal government-mandated, mandating yes or no on such an important issue. I'm, in that sense, a federalist, where I believe that states should have more say in the laws of their lands and individual areas. Now, foundationally, also, though, it's no secret that I'm pro-life that I believe in a culture of life is very important for this country. Personally that's what I would like to see, um, further embraced by America.

Couric: Do you think there's an inherent right to privacy in the Constitution?

Palin: I do. Yeah, I do.

Couric: The cornerstone of Roe v. Wade.

Palin: I do. And I believe that individual states can best handle what the people within the different constituencies in the 50 states would like to see their will ushered in an issue like that.

Couric: What other Supreme Court decisions do you disagree with?

Palin: Well, let's see. There's, of course in the great history of America there have been rulings, that's never going to be absolute consensus by every American. And there are those issues, again, like Roe v. Wade, where I believe are best held on a state level and addressed there. So you know, going through the history of America, there would be others but …

Couric: Can you think of any?

Palin: Well, I could think of … any again, that could be best dealt with on a more local level. Maybe I would take issue with. But, you know, as mayor, and then as governor and even as a vice president, if I'm so privileged to serve, wouldn't be in a position of changing those things but in supporting the law of the land as it reads today.

Link with video

I mean can it get more embarrasing here. Not one single Supreme Court case?!! Affirmative action, Guantamo Bay, Bush vs Gore, Civil Rights, Brown vs the Board of Education thats just off the top of my head.

I dont know how people can still not see what is painfully obvious.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

What's truly fascinating about this is you don't see the MSM posing these types of questions to Biden, McCain nor O'savior...just her. It's truly laughable the visceral contempt they have for her.

While she may not have the experience at the national level, I don't believe she is dumb or "out of her league". She's just has a very steep learning curve. For heaven't sakes, we have Biden telling a man in a wheelchair to stand up. Biden is truly a joke and you think he would make a decent POTUS? By the way...need to work on those pecs.

At least she's doing the interview. It's not pretty, but she isn't hiding. I believe she has tough skin. And not everyone who goes to Washington is an expert in everything, even our current president.

Let's hear Couric ask Obama about "specifics."

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunch

thats a very intersting clip. At least biden understands the questions and gives a coherent reply. Palin clearly thinks the privacy question is nothing to do with roe vs wade and instantly replies "yes". She's then surpised couric mentions its the cornerstone of roe vs wade. Its clear she doesnt know the subject matter or arguements involved.

Palin just keeps owning herself over & over when she answers questions. I expect her to comeout with something "off message" in the debate. Probably more than once. I think its just a question of how big an error she is going to make.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by yeti101]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by CapsFan8
reply to post by mopusvindictus

Comon, this isn't complicated stuff. What paper do you read? You mean you can't answer that simple question? How can one function in the real world in any context without having the ability to communicate even something so mundane? I don't believe a person can be that dumb, this thing itself is some kind of political trick I think. Trick the dumb hillbillies and women into voting for her, even though she is an affront to those groups. I don't buy that many other people are buying it though.

I'm not in the tank for the "smooth talking" candidate as you say.
I'd jump at the chance to vote for Ron Paul. He's genuine and pretty sharp.

[edit on 1-10-2008 by CapsFan8]

The debate tomorrow will tell a whole lot...

I wonder that maybe, maybe... this is a ruse, to make Biden feel confident, that she was told, talk in circles, don't say much of anything...

I will give this up

Something seems wrong, I have heard her talk plenty and... she is alot sharper than that, I agree that even some very basic points seem to be fumbling

I would... Not be suprised to see the Barracuda back tomorrow night in a real move to suprise Biden and everyone else and knock him dead down

and

I will be dismayed if she turns up dumb lol

But politics is a crazy game... I'm 100% sure that GW was intentionally acting dumb and crazy at times through these 8 years so the world would think he was as nutso as the terrorists

It is not so far fetched to think that Palin is acting

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Adding my two cents, I don't think that she has been so carelessly chosen.
In fact, I don't even think that she was chosen by McCain at all...

Having the right puppet available at the right time has always been the game for TPTB, and this is no exception.

It was a brilliant move to chose Palin, someone who is completely incapable of making independent decisions (watch how she stumbles even while attempting to recite back fed lines and little info-jingles), while at the same time she is sooo convinced about her own "qualifications", that she could NEVER stand down and admit her shortcomings... Sound familiar... W&Co.?

I think she is insurance policy in the wild-case scenario McCain should win. Nothing left to chance.

So, is she qualified? Depends on the job description...

VP? No way!
Official puppet? I can almost see the strings...

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eviant

You should start a thread about the Obama stuff. This thread is about Palin. Why all the spin? Is it 'spin' when Palin responds to a question about the bailout with some nonsensical response about health care, new jobs and so on? Seriously, playing devil's advocate is fine, but trying to insinuate that it's 'spin' that's making Palin look like a giant idiot and not Palin herself...... That's ridiculous, sir.

I think it's a subjective thing. The spin is there; the agenda is there. The idea of the OP is to get Obama elected. The strategy is to find the weaknesses of your opponent (Palin) and drum the drum of discontent. My Obama comments are relevant in that Obama looks like a giant idiot to about the same percentage that thinks Palin looks like an idiot.

And my other point: We've had lots of small town governors become president. They may not have the public speaking experience at the start, but the learn quickly. I'm sure if you compare Obama's early days in front of the camera at the beginning of his campaign, he was ackward and inexperienced. But then even this late in the game, Obama can make himself look dumb. (57 US states?)

So my devil's advocate comments are meant to expose the subjective (psychological) nature of anti-Palin comments. What they see isn't really what they see.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizenc

It was a brilliant move to chose Palin, someone who is completely incapable of making independent decisions (watch how she stumbles even while attempting to recite back fed lines and little info-jingles), while at the same time she is sooo convinced about her own "qualifications", that she could NEVER stand down and admit her shortcomings... Sound familiar... W&Co.?

Good post. I agree. But I also think the same about Obama. He believes he's more qualified than he is.

I see Obama's puppet strings as well. The fact that the two choices given to the public are under the control of certain elites, why does it matter who we vote for? And this illusion of debating? For what purpose? To fool ourselves?

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Thanks to the OP for posting those videos. I'm one of those people that avoids the MSM at all costs so I hadn't seen these yet. It's definitely an eye opener. I was an undecided voter when I woke up this morning. I will not vote for Obama on principal, but I've been considering whether a vote against Obama (for McCain) was the prudent action here. After seeing these videos, I realize I can't do that in good conscience. Looks like I'm back to either a libertarian vote or a write in for my dad.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Matrix1111

I think it's a subjective thing. The spin is there; the agenda is there. The idea of the OP is to get Obama elected. The strategy is to find the weaknesses of your opponent (Palin) and drum the drum of discontent. My Obama comments are relevant in that Obama looks like a giant idiot to about the same percentage that thinks Palin looks like an idiot.

Of course my agenda is to exposed Gov. Palin weakenesses. Not because I dont like her as a person, she might be and look like a nice lady, she is just completely OUT OF HER LEAGUE, is she and others think that she is ready to occupy the 2nd highest position in government. I challenge you to show me one clip where Sen. Obama has look like this, where he is doesn't know about the subject that was asked.

And my other point: We've had lots of small town governors become president. They may not have the public speaking experience at the start, but the learn quickly. I'm sure if you compare Obama's early days in front of the camera at the beginning of his campaign, he was ackward and inexperienced. But then even this late in the game, Obama can make himself look dumb. (57 US states?)

You have a point but I would argue this, is not the same been young, inexperienced and knowledgeable than been young, inexperienced and CLUELESS, like Gov. Palin is showing to be. Is not about fumbling a couple of questions, what is perplexing is her lack of KNOWLEDGE on pretty much everything, the economic crisis, McCain record, Supreme Court cases, foreign policy and other issues, I remember Sen. McCain on the debate saying to Sen. Obama repeatedly :"You dont understand", well Sen. Biden line should be: "Gov. Palin you just dont know"

So my devil's advocate comments are meant to expose the subjective (psychological) nature of anti-Palin comments. What they see isn't really what they see.

Well I see it like it is and write and speak to that, I'm not spinning anything and many people in this thread and around the country and in the GOP are noticing the same too, didn't you read the article from Kathleen Parker (the title of which is the tittle of this thread) that I quoted in my OP? I mean, it doesn't get more GOP, pro femine, conservative than her and she is able to see the obvious, that Gov. Palin is OUT OF HER LEAGUE.

Perhaps is blind Gov. Palin and Sen. McCain supporters that are not able or willing to see and acknowledge what is REALLY there.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think the media are doing her a favor by putting her down. They are lowering expectations to the point that any competence will be viewed as a success.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lookingup
In fact, I have my snacks and booze ready to go and will sit back, expecting to watch Biden mop the floor with her.

Exactly the words I was saying to my friends for a week!

The only thing that may well save her is that they know the answers in advance. She could have well memorized half-intelligent answers, so Biden don't have a huge edge... Which is too bad.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
is not the same been young, inexperienced and knowledgeable than been young, inexperienced and CLUELESS, like Gov. Palin is showing to be. Is not about fumbling a couple of questions, what is perplexing is her lack of KNOWLEDGE on pretty much everything, the economic crisis, McCain record, Supreme Court cases, foreign policy and other issues

You got it down cold! Exactly.

I just can't believe some people who say she has instincts and all -- you can't form a policy of any sort if you DON'T KNOW stuff. And she doesn't.

Remember how she squirmed when asked what magazines she reads in order to be informed? She was unforthcoming...

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Many of you seem to miss the point that the reason Palin is adored by some of us is exactly that she is "unqualified'

Please explain to me why hiring the unqualified to do a job is wise? Do you hire a surgeon, as someone else pointed out because they might be cool to hang out and have a beer with?

and Politics is UNINTELLIGENT, it is LIES, it is completely utterly made up subjects and opinions with zero capacity to ever prove a point, it is trendy issues, it is buzz words, it is being abrest in a way of Generalities of a wide range of subjects that effect people and being able to: SAY WHAT THEY WISH TO HEAR

Perhaps this is the case because many Americans are unwilling to hire someone smarter than they are. When you run elections for the US government as if they were popularity contests, this is what happens.

For arguments sake... the real job of a President.. To make judgement calls after being informed on the details of Major issues and crisis faceing America... to agree or disagree with sides presented to you by Experts involved in process...

Which is why you need an IQ higher than that of a moose.

Bush and Cheeny are an example of what happens when you THINK as President YOU should make the Military decisions beyond Yes or NO

Bush and Cheney are what you get when you hire a not so bright guy to be commander in chief. Because there are lots of very bright guys we dont want running our country behind the scenes more than willing to be the brains of the operation.

It's all about values and choices for a President... you need to be a LISTENER not a G-d damned Talker

No. It isnt. If you hire someone too unintelligent to sort out from among those so very willing to advise them those that have the countries best interests at heart from those that do not, it doesnt matter one whit what the values of that person are. Even someone whose values you approve of can be overwhelmed or tricked into doing things against their own values if enough pressure and confusion are applied. You need someone sharp. However, here in the US it seems that being intelligent makes you "arrogant" or "out of touch with the little guy."

I dont want a President that I can have a beer with. I dont want a President as smart as I am. I want a President who can hold his or her own with the other world leaders. I want a President that is intelligent enough to see through the maneuvering and conniving of the power mongers that surround him or her. I want someone qualified to lead. Granted, I am not so fond of any of the candidates the MSM is supporting. Of those, however, Sarah Palin is someone who, due to McCains age, has a fair chance of becoming President if McCain is elected, and I feel she is woefully unqualified for the job by nature. She simply isnt bright enough.

If you want someone to drink a beer or go moose hunting with, get a friend.

We need intelligence in the White House.

[edit on 2-10-2008 by Illusionsaregrander]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I can't edit my previous post, so I'm going to embed the youtube clip of Gov. Palin/Couric on Supreme Court cases

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

The problem arises though when you DECIDE what Intelligence is! Or use past reference to associate similar traits as a sign someone is unintelligent.

Take for example... Use of the Language, while, of course, helpful to a condidate, there is no true measure of raw aptitude or intelligence that can be said of good grammer, or use of language.

IQ tests show repeatedly that tests which contain "General knowledge" always leave behind a substantial number of geniuses who for cultural or life experience reasons simply do not hold the same trivia as "most" of us do.

While lack of general knowledge is certainly a reason to examine closer a potential candidate, it is no reason to make an absolute assumption of her Capacity to perform.

A comparison to Bush is relevant here because, people now fear that he showed his lack of intelligence through his various speech impediments

and I would challenge that on lumltiple fronts

A: He was very Intelligent, just corrupt and an Ego maniac

B: He had Nepotism at work in his career so even if we maintain an argument of unintelligence, it is in fact possible because unlike Palin his rise was NOT on his own merits unlike her.

I would also Take the example of the Blurb someone posted on the stance of Abortion

The one where Palin keeps repeating... "States Rights" and she is criticized for not knowing specific court cases that involve Roe vs Wade

I have to ask

Why Would She?

I don't, not by name... read them in school, long since forgot them...

Her Answer was CLEAR

"It should be a State Issue"

In a nation in which most would admit, Lawyers and Judges rule us along side Bankers like serfs...

Why should I care about her memorization and recitation of old court cases? How does this make her more fit to make a call on the issue.

The Answer to this question is a Human Issue... and for my Vote she said exactly what i wanted to hear...

It's NOT a Federal issue

The subject is very divisive, emotional, personal and revolves around belief and faith as much as science

and a Mormon Family in Utah will not have the same response or reaction as a Liberal jewish Family in Brooklyn Ny

and both have the Right to have lioves of thier choosing in thier own environments

IMHO... there was Nothing more to say, it told me the whole story... she doesn't want people to live by others rules, she is NOT going to make a Federal Mandate out of the situation but leave it up to the States

I say CHEERS... because more than money, more than anything... being able to raise your chi;dren as you see fit is the fastest way to make a populace happy... OR send it heading to division and civil war...

And

How does your knowledge of the litigation behind the first Mistake... of Federalizing a subject that is personal and local become relevant?

The Joe Six pack comment is also... being used here as a commentary

Look, everyone knows alot of Joe Six packs are morons...

Alot aren't, some of the smartest people I have known were more street smart than they were school smart and make good decisions and do well in life

Should we question Palin to see which of these she is

Hell Ya

But, we shouldn't Jump to conclusions...

Also

The poor Lady is obviously mostly stumbling on not wanting to accidently cross over what she has only recently been told she should and should not cross in terms of McCains stance on issues and she is a fiery lady and this has to be hard to do for her... to limit her remarks to...someone elses politics and learn them.

New... thrown right in like this, she is just trying to do what is asked of her by the GOP

But I sincerely don't get the impression that this is a Lady who will keep HER opinion to herself for 4 years, so I am not so worried about this.

The abortion issue is simply ONE topic

another huge Gaffe was not instantly knowing the "Bush Doctrine" was the official term for Bush's preemptive strike policy

I found this... although kind of amusing, also, kind of refreshing...

The Media chooses policy more than the people... Not knowing the terminology (and I admit in a split second I probably wouldn't have connected that as the singular Doctrine of the Bush administration under interview) But certainly i know the policy and know it well and have more than a bit of knowledge about the subject...

But I ask myself...so what, she doesn't listen to Cspan all day lol, or katie Curic...

Isn't it nothing aside from... Political buzz words and banter, why should I assume she doesn't know the Bush Doctrine as well as the rest of us, because she doesn't know that it's being called the Bush Doctrine?

Control of our language is so rampant, funneling of our thoughts via the media so omnipresent that... this just doesn't disturb me very much, I admitedly have stoped watching the MSM, it's something that after a long winded over extended education and a person who once WAS abreast of every word, saying, argument and trend in Washington... I no longer subject myself too as a person

and Why?

Because it never moves this way, it all stays locked into the political range that the elite want me to be focused on

Roe Vs Wade, Roe vs Wade...

I don't care if she so mauch as knows what Roe vs Wade is...

I care only that she wants it OUT of Federal hands... like I do,

I think I know where this woman stands given what I have seen... and some of it may well be from a place of SIMPLICITY and I don't mind that at all...

What do I know of Palin

She wants to seriously gut Washington, she is of a breed up there inAlaska and many other parts of America thatwants Washington Policy removed from thier lives from the War on Drugs to Abortion... to many other things

and... does she "get" the remifications of everything she would want vetoed?

LOL NO!

But... I want the rubber stamp on everything and don't much care about the consequences...

I'm miserable... too much power over me, I will survive lol, without them... in my schools, in my bong, in my house, in my family, in my sisters uterus...

My honest and true opinion is... that Joe Six pack could well do a better job than a harvard grad any day in this election

Because the choices are SIMPLE

No more geniuses with big ideas...please

The only places I disagree with the GOP are INternational where they will keep pokeing thier noses...

so NO... this is no perfect match for me.

But I want a simple minded person, because it's no different than a Houses budget or basic social common sense

My Ideal debate responses

Abortion: Ain't really mah Business

Welfare: Naw can't ford more o that right now son

War on Drugs: Don't much like the cops comin in ma house and interuptin my grow cycle

Iraq: Where in the tarnation is that and why are we there?

Health care: If you let yur boy play in the dirt he won't much be gettin sick as a man

Education: Your ma needs to tar your arse if you don't get A's is what I says on Education

Can you follow me?

The American Joe Shmo... with NO education has better politics than half of Washington...

Mind yur Business, walk quietly and carry a big stick son, to each his own, toughen up and get a Jawb boy...

and is this a STUPID way of being? To let people live and not over complicate things?

Giant debates on what?

WHERE has the Havard and Yale crowd led us... High Falutin, Over complicated Ideas, tax codes and foreign policies that NO ONE understands and no one cares about...

we are saving the world and headed to Utopianism in EVERY aspect of our society...

EXCEPT one mans Utopia is another mans Hell

and it's tearing us apart, it's destroyed the economy and divided us against ecah other and...

It is... about the SIMPLE

Cut the budget, get rid of Washington everywhere it has federalized everything, let people run thier lives locally...

Only a Commoner can understand this

and people now talk daily about revolution

and what is a revolution? But putting a Commoner in charge and returning a country to it's people...

we fear this because we are led to believe we are stupid...

That Americans need more culture and more diversity and more understanding and more school smarts

But all this is what has us... all over the world policeing everyone else, has turned The USA into a Police State

and

Joe six packs (a derogatory as hell term) is a nasty reference for American people...

Because People LOVED Joe Six pack AKA... The average American Jow, prior to the end of WW2 and our emergence on the national stage

we were free, wrote our own rules in our towns and cities and the decent SIMPLE Values was what America as a Nation was all about

and it wasn't stupid it Worked...

Worked alot better than Globalism, a center stage with the UN, and PC and Cultural diversity and FEDERAL LAW

So is Palin STUPID? Because she is simple?

Only maybe in blind patriotism in respect to the war... (but I excpect the economy will force the pull out no matter who is in charge)

Regardless though... my problems are HERE and I hate the Federal government and want it out of my life...

Her and McCain

Far from perfect LOL

But better than harvard and entrenched politco boy any day

Bush caused a nightmare, he Spoke like a common man... and people voted for him...and now people fear the PERSONA... But he was a Puppet or defacto member of the Elite, nothiong of a Common man... Not Simple like he speaks...

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

The problem arises though when you DECIDE what Intelligence is! Or use past reference to associate similar traits as a sign someone is unintelligent.

Take for example... Use of the Language, while, of course, helpful to a condidate, there is no true measure of raw aptitude or intelligence that can be said of good grammer, or use of language.

Another futile attempt to deflect attention from the obvious... Palin failed on many levels.

If someone asks me what publications I read to keep abreast with the latest in my profession, I won't have a problem naming them. Sarah, when asked a similar question, offered nothing but BS.

By the way, it's "grammar", not "grammer".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join