It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to break into politics...heres my chance!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Ive been trying to break into politics because I am disgusted by the way our country is being run. Plato said it best, “One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.”

Through connections in my family , I will have the chance to sit down with my state auditor and ask him some questions. I want to get my foot in he door and I am BEGGING ATS members for some help with coming up with intelligent, well-thought out questions.

I want to start a career in politics because Im sure our government will ave to undergo some major changes and we will need new types of leaders. This is my shot. I want to impress and hopefully get hooked up with some sort of job to get my foot in the door. I have a bachelors in marketing from Umass, What kind of job should i shoot for?

Any questions or advice you have for me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
It really depends on how you want to help through politics.

Are you looking to eventually take a higher profile role such as mayor? Would you be more interested holding a position in the treasury or legislator?

There are many different ways to get started in politics. I think it depends on what your personal goals and aspirations are though.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I would love to be a legislator and eventually a state representative. I love debating and have always had an interest in politics Ron Paul really woke me up to what as really going on in this country and and I would love to some day do the same to others. I want to be a part of the coming change.

I just need to know where to start.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Well to get to either of those positions you are going to have start at your local level.

It's a lot harder than you may think to get elected to even a local community position.

Honestly I would recommend starting by running for something small like your local school board. This will get your foot in the door of elections and bring some experience to your name.

I know it doesn't seem like much, but I think it's a good starting point.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I really appreciate the advice and thank you for trying to help me. I was actually looking at my town council today to see if i could find some other young members like myself and there were actually a few!

With the world we live in today, it's "who you know" and I have a great opportunity here and I want to have something come of it.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
No problem.

As I said, boards and councils are a great way to get your foot in the door and get your name out. A few years of that and perhaps you'll be set up to make a run at mayor or something.

Remember though, think small for right now. Check into your area to see how things are divided up. (regions, districts, etc.) At each different level there are many opportunities to get started.

I'd also look into finding a regional political office to drop by. (republican, democrat etc) They always need volunteers and that's a good way to further your connections.

Just try to stay focused and keep a set list of goals for yourself. Also remember to stand by your convictions no matter what, and the people will find you out and reward you for it.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
.I think it would help if people got to know who you are.I read of one guy that was a reformer just trying to get his city to do something about the sewer leaking everywhere and stinking things up.Maybe also it would help if you belonged to a grassroots group such as taxpayers for common sense.If you are involved in something before you run it would give you greater credibility.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
also a great idea. Thanks for the help. I am going to start looking up local grassrots initiatives.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
If you dont know what you want, if you have to seek wisdom or opinions from others, or lack the vision to change the country then you shouldn't be going into politics.

I know exactly what I would do if I were President/ PM. As should you.

Sorry for not giving you anything concrete- I think you should be thinking things out for yourself instead of being a career politician.

posted on Oct, 18 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
You know, You seem to have a genuine interest in serving. I have also thought about starting a political career. Like you, I also have Marketing/Business Degree. Not the typical chosen Political Science type major. I however have been interested in the political process for a very long time. I can talk about it for hours. I remember when I was a kid when Reagan was elected President, and I guess that kind of piqued my early interest. I remember also, I knew that Reagan was the right change that we needed to a comatose Carter Administration with hyper inflation rates, a horrible economy, seriously depleted and a demoralized infrastructure. President Reagan breathed new life into our beloved country, restored our national confidence, strengthened our economy, and defense so that we would never again be vulnerable to the Russia's, and the Cuba's of the world. He would remind our enemies that we are not to be messed with anymore. Reagan epitomized every decent value and standard this country was founded on. He reminded us what it truly means to be an American.

posted on Oct, 27 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I remember Martin Bain on The Above Politics Show saying there was a reward of ATS points if someone becomes an elected representitive.

Give the AP boys an u2u, they might be interested in your campaign.

What a great thing to have on the show, someone running for office

top topics

join