It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Drops off 9 Kids at Hospital Under Nebraska Safe Haven Law!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Father Drops off 9 Kids at Hospital Under Nebraska Safe Haven Law!

ap.google.com

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — Nine children were left at a hospital by their father late Wednesday under the state's new safe haven law, a move officials say illustrates the problems many feared when the rule went into effect.

The father, who was not identified, left the children aged 1 to 17 at Creighton University Medical Center's emergency room.

The law, which went into effect in July, allows caregivers to abandon children at any state-licensed hospital without fear of prosecution. It was initially intended to protect infants — like similar laws in other states — but was amended to include children and teenagers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What the?!?

While I can understand the institution of such a law, particularly in the case of infants, this is beyond ridiculous, and extremely, extremely sad...

This guy brings >NINE< kids into this world, then abandons them all?

This is horrible on so many levels I can't even begin to count.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is what you get from people who don't believe in abortion. If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em.

Sadly though, the father might have believed that he really could get by, like his parents before him and so on.

We're going to see a lot more of this in coming months.

[edit on 9/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

+10 more 
posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Ive said it one Im going to say it again:

The least desireable you are as a parent the inversely more fertile you are. Some of these people are like a giant PEZ despencer.

Yes it is excessive, but if the guy was that bad to begin with then the children are probably better off anyway IMHO

Yeah where is the Pro Life crowd always touting adoption anyway? Hmmmmmmmmm

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I say good for the father. It takes balls to be able to go against what the majority of society would pass as acceptable and go with your gut. We need a guy like this in office! (That might be taking it a bit far, I appologize).

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I would have thought he would have realized how hard it was, at 2.
But to have 9?
Perhaps there is other twists to this story we are yet to see.
Maybe some were other peoples children, his step children etc.
Maybe he planned them all.
And planned on how to bring them up and pay for them to live.
But the current situations left him nothing.
And he could see no other way.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I can't say that they are probably better off though. I've seen group homes and foster homes from behind closed doors. They will almost certainly be split up too.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Let's take a different angle here on this. Perhaps the individual has some kind of plan. Committing a terrible crime of some sort maybe. Perhaps he felt he needed to commit this crime and felt that his children would be safer if they weren't with him.

Or, prehaps he lost his job, has no money, can't pay bills, can't buy food, and really, truly cares about his children enough to embarrass himself like this.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RealityisanIllusion

I tend to believe that he really does care very much for the children. If not, the headline would have been, "CPS finds six children living in squalor, three presumed dead"

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Well, me too, but I thought the first scenario might cater to all the doom and gloom people on this site.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Hard to judge, if we should at all, without knowing all the circumstances but 9 kids does seem a lot to anyone. But I would rather he dropped them ALL off than think of what may have happened.

Maybe he is a lazy no good who knows but even then at least he had the sense to drop them off where they would be safe.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

I actually see both scenarios fitting together quite well actually. A man who loves his kids very much, is forced to give them up due to economic hardship. What do you think he's gonna be doing in that empty house. My bet is that he would be planning some "payback" for the system that had failed him and his family. Of course it would probably be spun that he was some right wing terrorist extremist with ties to the same groups that "inspired OKC" when in reality he was just another red-blooded American at the end of his rope.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Some good, alternative viewpoints here. Food for thought.

I guess my biggest issue here is the NUMBER of children this guy just kept having, over and over, and THEN he just abandons them for the state to take care of. Why the heck would you bring NINE kids into the world unless you were sure you could provide for them? Why the heck not get a VASECTOMY after half that amount if you're not 100% dedicated to raising them into adulthood?

It almost sounds like this law could be an excuse for certain individuals to be "breed-happy" with no responsibilities whatsoever.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Yes, both do fit together, and it's a possibility. But it is also a possibility everything that is being done right now by the government will work out and everyone will be fine, we can only hope so at this point. So, there is a possibility that these children being at this hospital under the care of Creighton will be temporary until this guy can find a reasonable solution. I happen to be from Nebraska though I don't live there anymore because there is no work that will pay what I make here in South Carolina. The pessimist in me says we're all screwed, but the optimist in me says everything will be ok, and believe that it will be ok helps me keep from stressing out.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Omaha is home to Offut Airforce Base. It is a possibility this man had a great job and felt he would always be able to care for his children. Perhaps he was a government contractor whose contract was cancelled and he was laid off with little to no severance pay. After all, they did say one of the children was 17. He did provide for 17 yrs. Without more information, we really shouldn't speculate on the man's character.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Exactly, there are too many scenerios to guess why he left his kids. And if he is a loser they are certainly better off without him.

I would bet we will never find out the whole story. Good luck to them all.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

Great point stalker, and you're right about us never finding out the real story, it will probably end up being to mediocre for the MSM to want to print.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
What a sad story indeed, I feel sorry for those kids.

Though imo nine is way too much.

Maybe his wife passed away and he couldn't take care of them anymore.

I can't see any way it would be healthy for a woman to give birth to so many children.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I don't mean to go stereotyping Nebraska, but I would imagine that there a still a lot of "salt of the earth" types still out there, that farm, have tradtional/conservative views, and still believe that a big family is the way to go. I know a farmer who actually relies quite heavily on his own children as labor at the farm. A bit ignorant to think this way in the modern age I suppose, but sad nonetheless if this is the case.

[edit on 9/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

Grey, my great-grandmother had 13 children and lived to 92 yrs old. She was very healthy. It was very common for families to have several children in the area of Nebraska she was as they were usually put to work on the ranches or farms when they were old enough. That is how people eeked out an existance.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join