It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father Drops off 9 Kids at Hospital Under Nebraska Safe Haven Law!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
mmh... To be totaly honest, the Father (yes with a big F) is probably feeling guilty about abandonning his kids, he probably feel horrible, but what do you want him to do after all ?

Letting his kids living in misery and probably turning inot young hooligans and junkies ?

Or havin the possibility of a better life ?

I know it sound rough, but in my personal case...i come from a very poor family

the best thing my mother did was to abandon me..a rough choice but it still saved my life

i can understand the Father in a certain way

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
This thread is saying a lot more about some posters than the topic.

But anyway, to lighten it up a little, here's a true story:

Years ago, a man owed my brother a considerable sum of money. The guy promised repeatedly to pay, but the money was not forthcoming.

My brother proposed the guy pay him in installments if he couldn't manage the total sum in one payment. Guy made more promises. Failed to keep them.

Finally, my brother phoned the guy late in the afternoon. Asked what the guy's wife would be serving for dinner.

Taken by surprise, the guy told my brother what his family would be eating that night.

My brother replied, ' Ok. Not bad. Ask your wife to remember to set an extra five places at the table. We'll be there around six thirty.'

Guy took a moment to answer, said, ' What .... ? '

Brother replied firmly and calmly, as is his way: ' Tell your wife from now on to set an additional five places at your table. My wife and kids and I will be coming to dinner with you every night until your debt is square.'

Guy flustered around and brother cut in, ' I did the work you wanted. It was good work. You haven't paid me. Because of you, I can't provide for my family, can't give my wife money for housekeeping. Seems you take care of yourself and your own family though -- you're all eating well. At the expense of me and mine. I've given you three months to pay and you haven't paid me a cent. So we'll be eating with you, every night, until the debt is run out. See you at six.'

My brother did it too .. turned up at the man's door. It was a pretty silent meal, with my brother's family seated across from those who owed him.

Two days later, the man somehow 'managed to find' the money he owed my brother.

So ... maybe the father of nine had seen his livlihood undermined by a government which favours illegal immigrants over taxpayers who're descended from generations of taxpayers. Maybe the man's house or farm had been repossessed. Maybe his wife had left him or been hospitalised because of all the strain and pressure. Maybe the man woke up one day and looked around at nine hungry children .. no books or clothes for school .. no future he could offer them .. his entire life's work tossed in the gutter by faceless powers who just don't give a damn.

So maybe he decided, ' Ok. You took away my capacity to provide for these children. You destroyed me. You owe my kids. Now take care of them. When you find out how difficult it is, get back to me .. give me a job .. and I'll be happy to come and collect them.'

I hope that's how it was. Hope the man was making a point of principle. Hope there will be a happy ending to this story for the father, children, and mother (if she's still around).

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
By the way the dinner was excellent

its not one liner post

(crawl and repent for the bad joke)

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OTTOKARMA

Nope.
Apparently the food wasn't too great. Big relief for my brother's family when the guy paid the debt quick smart.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
It's obvious this law was enacted so the elite have more kids to "play with". If any of you think none of these children will be sexually abused then you are living under a rock. This is sickening.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to [urobviol=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread394836/pg1#pid5029232]post by DimensionalDetective[/url]

obviously,he tried for 17 years with the first one and so on and so forth with the others,he didn't kill them,thank GOD for that,it can happen with anyone.Planning?Ask some people about thier pensions,with only 1 child or two,this economy doesn't care who you are dear!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
it is a ridiculous system.

For one we gave up orphanges where these kids could have stayed together and which would be in the end alot cheeper to tun and supervise than gigantic system of Foster care.

Two, food should never be a cost issue in america if a family or children need it we have more food than 1/3 of the planet

Third, there is no reason there can't be a restructuring of debt along the lines of bankruptcy that allows for people with children to keep thier homes... In fact the entire concept of foreclosure is ridiculous... (not saying let people "escape") the debt, but certainly it could be restructured in ways that allow for lets say... a Depression of a few years...

putting families in the street is a backwards concept... the home and land they are on now exists, garnish thier wages until they die and feed them, but don't put them in the street, it's follish and primative

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
the guy had to know he couldn't raise 9 kids.
thus why he gave them up.
it says "father" for all we know the mother died leaving them in total poverty.
And unable to take of his own kid's.

Are you saying as rich people...he should have axe murdered his kids so they didn't eat your tax dollars ?
let them starve to death?
if so your not American..your a greedy piece of crap

As Americans we help every other nation..Africa ect...with hungry poverty ridden place's / children.
Yet when it's our own American kid's all the sudden rich people start crying..not on my tax dollar's.

kinda funny they call themselves American's.

Help thy neighbor when he is in despair.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Is seems that thier is more or at least as much outrage over the socialization of the lives of these children in comparison to the socialization of wall street.

I deeply feel for these children.

They now feel completely abandoned. When your family abandons you as a child it is truly the end of your world.

I remember when my Dad went to prison. From that day on I hated the police as well as my father. Logicly explaining to me why my world was turned upside down had no bearing on the way I felt. Kids at school no longer hung with me and thier mothers and fathers would not let thier kids hang with me .....it was truly a dark period.

My prayers are for those children. I pray some Saintly person will help them.

If I knew how to send them some money I would.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Foster care isn't necessarily better than a poor household. I ran away from my foster home twice. They had anywhere from 8 to 15 kids in the house at any time. I had to share a bedroom with 5 other kids. Their own 2 kids were into drugs, and incest with each other (and probably some of the other kids). My foster mother hated me, because I wouldn't "admit" to her that my mother (who had cancer and died of it), was "no good," and that I loved her. I did not, and I would not say it, and she made my life there a hell.

Of course, that was back in the 80s. I don't know if foster care has reformed much, but between my own foster home, and the others we'd visit (they were clique-ish with the other foster families), it was a sad thing. Cared for? I was working at 15, had to buy all my own school things (including clothes), etc. They just kept the money for having me. That bulk food and my shared quarters with other kids I doubt was worth the $$$ they were receiving for having me. My brother had a short stint there, but also ran away, and then joined the Army. They didn't like him, either. They took all the mail he sent me over several years and kept it, I never knew it was writing me. I eventually, once I joined the Army as well, was able to look him up, as I had lost contact with him for many years, because of my wonderful foster parents.

So foster care isn't necessarily a good thing. Of course my group home was even worse. I really hope that they at least manage to keep all those children together, that should help protect them.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
this is so sad. the poor kids not understanding what is going on and losing their family must be horrifying to them.

on the flip side, they will prolly have better living conditions, and their dad is probably a meth head. hopefully they will get adopted by some responsible parents and end up on a positive note. (hey, i can hope right?)

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by zooplancton
this is so sad. the poor kids not understanding what is going on and losing their family must be horrifying to them.

on the flip side, they will prolly have better living conditions, and their dad is probably a meth head. hopefully they will get adopted by some responsible parents and end up on a positive note. (hey, i can hope right?)

Not too sure how you could come up with that not knowing the details.

What if the guy's wife split on him, leaving him with 9 kids? What would you do if your woman took off leaving you with a huge family? 9 kids must be hard to provide for, and if it is now a single income family it would be even harder. We have no idea what the details are. Placing all blame on this guy, or thinking that is he is some kind of meth head or or some other derogatory thing does not make you look good at all.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

hey, i'm not stating facts by any means, but if you break down the demographic here, there is a chance that he could be a hard drug user. i'm NOT stereotyping, but just throwing it in for thought. (i have lived out there and have seen the large unattended family with meth parents)

no he probably is not a meth head, but putting a 17 year old into the system at that age sounds like off-kilter thinking.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Here is the first update I found.

www.examiner.com...

OMAHA, Neb. (Map, News) - An out-of-work widower who abandoned nine of his children at a hospital under Nebraska's new safe haven law said he was overwhelmed without his wife and just "fell apart."

"I hope they know I love them," Gary Staton told KETV. "I hope their future is better without me around them."

The unique law allows caregivers to abandon babies and teenagers alike at hospitals without fear of prosecution. Originally intended to protect infants, it was expanded in a legislative compromise to protect any "child." Some have interpreted that to mean anyone under 19.

Staton anonymously left the five boys and four girls - ages 1 to 17 - at Creighton University Medical Center's emergency room on Wednesday night. He has a 10th child, a daughter who is 18 and was not dropped off.

Staton said his wife died early last year, shortly after delivering their youngest child. He said he quit his job because of his family responsibilities but couldn't pay rent or utilities or take care of his kids.

click on link for the rest of the story

[edit on 9/26/2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

After reading that it kind of makes you feel for the guy. I know how hard it is raising 3 kids on one income, I can't even fathom 9 kids on no income. After a funeral and school fees, and food, there would be nothing left of any kind of income assistance for this guy. What other options would be available to him?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Some good, alternative viewpoints here. Food for thought.

I guess my biggest issue here is the NUMBER of children this guy just kept having, over and over,

The only number that was 'over and over' was ONE (1).

People are not always - if at all - capable of realizing the most simplest of things, especially if those things are the result of instant personal satisfaction.

Sex does not equate with "Well I better not, I have enough children as it is." does it? It equates with "gosh Id love a root, and the missus is in the mood too, you beauty!!"

And where is the mother? I hope we all do realise that the mother is also implicit in having created these children yet appears NO where here??

hrmm..

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

Read my update a few posts above yours.

The mother died shortly after giving birth.

This story is just HORRIBLY SAD on so many levels.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What a low life coward,I have 4 kids that would never enter my mind dumping off my kids,as bad as things get no way would that ever happen, I think of that person and I use the term loosly a disgrace to humankind

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
Some good, alternative viewpoints here. Food for thought.

I guess my biggest issue here is the NUMBER of children this guy just kept having, over and over, and THEN he just abandons them for the state to take care of. Why the heck would you bring NINE kids into the world unless you were sure you could provide for them? Why the heck not get a VASECTOMY after half that amount if you're not 100% dedicated to raising them into adulthood?

It almost sounds like this law could be an excuse for certain individuals to be "breed-happy" with no responsibilities whatsoever.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

How do you know he just kept having them over and over again? Maybe it's like 7th heaven. Maybe he had a wife at one point, no one has asked where the mother, or mothers of these 9 kids are.

What if he was providing for them, what if she died, he had to quit work to look after them, or tried to look after them and just found that he could not do it?

People's status can change in the wink of an eye. What if he had a good job that let him take care of them, then lost that job? Now what? We have to know all the details, before judging this.

Also the oldest is 17 years old. So he did not have them one after the other, this was done almost over a 20 year period.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I think this story illustates that it's wise not to rush to judgement on someone elses actions until you are fully informed of the facts.On the face of it ,it would appear the father could be in a deep depression due to his wife's death.Stories involving children often provoke strong emotions in people and quite understandbly so.But sometimes people demonise'bad parents' because it makes them feel better about themselves or they are just used as scapegoats and things end up up feeling more like a Salem Witchtrial.
How many people here who've posted their opinions have actually got kids or have raised children?If the answer is no to either question then really,you don't know what your talking about.
As for the abortion issue I've always found pro-lifers very short sighted,usually religous and usually men who seem to be under the impression that vast numbers of women treat having a termination the same a going for a hairdressing appointment.Nothing could be further from the truth and since there is no 100% effective form of contraception and that the effectiveness of the pill can be compromised by anti-biotics and illness I find their arguments invalid and sexist.At the end of the day it's a womans body so it's her choice and there are circumstances where people simply cannot have a child.It's very sad but it happens.As for the 'wrong ' people being fertile that is so pathetically rightwing and dumb it's not worthy of comment.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join