It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeschooling Banned in California as State Turns Parents Into Criminals for Teaching Their Own Chil

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by eradown

sorry it IS over all the Homeschooling sites in CA. date is correct. the ruling was on 8/8/08.......
please see:

Homeschoolers Win!

On August 8, the California Court of Appeal for the Second Appellate
District ruled that homeschooling is indeed a legal option in
California. This was a reversal of a ruling in February of this year
that parents must hold a teaching credential to homeschool their
children, and confirms HSC’s long held interpretation of private
school laws.

California’s three largest homeschool organizations, Homeschool
Association of California, California Homeschool Network, and
Christian Home Education Association, joined together in filing an
amicus brief with the court to support our homeschooling rights.
According to HSC’s legal co-chair, Debbie Schwarzer, "They did the
right thing. They did their job. They carefully read everything (they
don't cite the HSC/CHN/CHEA brief, but believe me, much of what they
write is based on our arguments), and reached the legally correct
conclusions."

This outcome is truly a victory for all homeschoolers in the state.
HSC wants to extend it’s appreciation not only to our wonderful legal
team, but also to the law firm of Wilson, Sonsini, Goodrich & Rosati
who donated their expertise, and to each and every one of our members.
Your membership dollars go to help in situations just like this. Many
of you also sent additional fund, wrote, called, and visited your
lawmakers. Each and every one of those actions helped us to reach this
wonderful outcome. Thank you so much for your support during this
difficult time.
Homeschoolers, CA

This page was last updated on August 27, 2008

Court Ruling: California statutes permit homeschooling!

CHN would like to thank Jerry Salcido and his team of attorneys at Baker & McKenzie LLP for the outstanding job they performed in representing the members of California Homeschool Network. They worked for months with the attorneys from HSC and CHEA, to defend our right to continue to homeschool legally in California.

August 8 update from CHN's attorney, Jerry Salcido: The Cailifornia Court of Appeal, Second Appellate District, Division Three issued its ruling in the In re Rachel L. case.

In Feburary 2008 this same court issued an opinion that held that California parents can homeschool their children only if they hold a valid teaching credential. The court vacated its February 2008 decision by agreeing to rehear the case. In addition to hearing from the parties on rehearing, the court also invited numerous friends-of-the-court, known as "amicus curiae" to provide legal argument. The court heard argument from the parties and the amicus curiae on June 2, 2008 for more than 2 hours.

Today's court ruling held that (1) California statutes permit home schooling as a species of private school education; and (2) the statutory permission to home school may constitutionally be overridden in order to protect the safety of a child who has been declared a dependent.

Homeschooling, therefore, remains a legal educational option in California.
CA Homeschool Network

DUMBASS. please check before you accuse someone of not being correct, else you risk being exposed as a fraud yourself.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by irishgrl

I misread your post; please pardon me. We are in total agreement. With the failing American public school system, I see nothing wrong with allowing parents to homeschool their own children. I do not regard teachers as worthless ,but I do not feel the public school system in America allows teachers to educate children. Private religious schools are not required to hire teachers with education degrees. The private Catholic schools in America at the turn of the twentieth century had many Nuns/teachers who never attained higher than a high school diploma; their success at educating children is enviable. It is also being repeated by many parents who were unable to graduate from high school.

[edit on 26-9-2008 by eradown]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Meh, I see no problem with the ruling. They don't allow doctors or dentists who aren't licensed to practice medicine either. Now, while the state of education in this nation is largely pitiful, it is none the less arguably the single most important factor for future growth and development. If America wishes to remain strong, independent, and free, we need and educated populace. Further even, in today's modern world, we are increasingly completely dependent on our nations infrastructure which past education has built. If we wish to maintain or improve our standard of living, our standard of education must rise as well.

Allowing parents to homeschool their children without proper educational training and without basic agreed upon national standards of what is to be taught, and what qualifies someone to be a teacher, it will only put an increasing segment of our future population at an educational disadvantage. Moreso than what it is now, anyhow.

And lets face it... a lot of parents are completely stupid or cowardly when it comes to their kids. I think a lot of parents try to hard to be their kids friends, rather putting parental duties first - and friendship second.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
OMFG 7 PAGES after it was said the bill was REJECTED!! You are all still arguing about it . Well i guess it shows your reading comprehension skills.

And since it was judged unconstitutional. All that were here supporting it . You are all traitors to your constitution.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by eradown

Its all good. Please forgive my namecalling.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by d11_m_na_c05
OMFG 7 PAGES after it was said the bill was REJECTED!! You are all still arguing about it . Well i guess it shows your reading comprehension skills.

And since it was judged unconstitutional. All that were here supporting it . You are all traitors to your constitution.

I wasnt discussing a "Bill" I was discussing a CA Supreme Ct decision, which is what the title alluded to. As far as I can see, discussion of a "Bill" would actually be OFF TOPIC.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Regenmacher

VERY glad to hear this is a hoax. I would have researched more m'self, but was short on time. It would break my heart to have that option removed in any state I might choose to live in. It wouldn't have hurt nearly as much if it was Florida... [wink to all Floridians]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
This thread is now wrong:
Homeschooling Declared Legal in California!

Friday, August 8, 2008, the California Court of Appeals handed down their new homeschool ruling, declaring that non-credentialed parents can teach their own children at home in California!

See www.hsc.org...

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GideonHM
reply to post by SonicInfinity

Excuse me!? I was home schooled by a mentally ill, incompetent, psychotic mother who never had two shreds of common sense, not to mention nothing more than a basic high school education. She was given free license to pull me and my sister from public school, use the inadequate ACE (Accelerated Christian Education) curriculum books, and all it did was further alienate me and my sister from society, set my sister back an entire year educationally, and instilled in me a horrific fear of mathematics that lasted until my early twenties.

If a parent does not have a teaching credential, they shouldn't teach what other people spend a greater portion of their lives learning in order to be a good educator.

You have offended me more than I ever expected this to. You don't know at all how dangerous and just plain ignorant your defense of uneducated people teaching uneducated children really is. Some people spend 20+ years in the educational system and still don't have all the skills necessary to be a qualified teacher.

What makes you think that a parent out of high school (which is also what you are condoning) has the skills required to teach anything in terms of knowledge required to truly succeed in this society? Dumb down our kids, that will make them complacent and will believe everything you tell them. Ah, the controlling parent's dream child.

You know nothing of what you are trying to peddle. Ignorance is your best friend, I'm sure.

I do not have a degree in education. I am homeschooling my daughter for the second year. I started homeschooling her last year after I discovered the school was not educating her. She was to be entering the 6th grade, but when I tested her knowledge she could not do some 3rd grade level work. She did not even know her states and capitals. The school was giving her A's and B's on work that should have been D's and F's. They would mark things correct on the papers if the answers were close enough. This includes her math answers. It's no wonder young adults are too stupid to do simple mathematics.

Since those with a degree in education are obviously too inept to teach my child, I am teaching her myself. Last year I spent time trying to get her caught up to where she should have been. She fought me the whole year and was upset that she had to do work. She was so lazy and fought so hard to get me to send her back to school. She would smartmouth me and say things like, "If I do this will you take me back to school where I belong?"

I am self-educated for the most part. I was officially public schooled, but the schools were extremely dumbed down back when I went (and it's much worse now!) and I was bored while in class. Outside of class I was beaten, threatened with sexual assault, and lived in fear on a daily basis. When I would complain to the teachers I was told that I "must not mind it or it would not keep happening" or that I brought it upon myself. I would go to the library and read on my own. I have better grammar skills than many of the so-called teachers who were supposed to teach me. I would have been better off had I never gone to public school. The torture I was forced by the government to endure every day haunted my mind for years. I have relapses where I get angry when I remember some of the things that were done to me. It got worse every year. The ill treatment started when I was around four years old and kept getting worse. I started thinking about suicide when I was a little girl and was depressed. I never did know why it happened, but it kept getting worse because the adults in the public school system REFUSED to protect me. It escalated every year. The last year I was in school I was hit in the back of the head with a metal pipe that the young man snuck into the school by wrapping it in his jacket. The other students thought it was hilarious and laughed for a while. That was observers' reaction - laughter. I would get beat up and threatened with knives, rape, etc and in front of dozens of others (including teachers) and they would laugh. That's the way public schools are in many places in this country.

Why should a child be forced by law to endure this? Why should a parent have to spend tens of thousands of dollars and 4 years of college education to get a degree just to make sure his or her child(ren) do not have to endure this treatment? And that's if the parent(s) even care what is happening to the child. My parents did not care at all. I was born with disabilities and society saw me as a freak. My parents still often treat me like garbage. A couple of years ago, my dad told me to put a gun in my mouth and pull the trigger because I needed my asthma inhaler. My mom just sat there while he told me this, not objecting in the slightest.

My daughter was being harassed at school for a while before I found out. That was the original reason I was going to homeschool her. I had been trying to get the school to do something about it, but figured out that they weren't going to solve the problem. Then, I discovered the problem with her education. They will not touch my kid again. When my kid started school she was smart for her age and wanted to learn. When I took her out, all she cared about was hanging out and being social and did not want to do any work at all. They turned her into a lazy good for nothing. She is doing her work better this year, although she is still struggling with the work since she is still so undereducated. She went a long way last year in catching up.

What did I learn from public school? I learned that others can beat you in front of a room full of witnesses and get away with it. I learned to live in fear of walking down a hallway since I never knew when I'd get jumped again. I learned that I only had rights if those in power allowed me to have them. I learned the horror of the public school system. How do these lessons benefit me or any other child who learns them? I learned everything else by studying at home or the library - alone- with no teacher except myself. I certainly did not learn any of the "social skills" that public school supporters spout about. I would rather be anti-social than to harm others the way I was by those with social skills.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It seems to me, people wanting these ridiculous laws and implementations on the parents are disgruntled with their own lives. Let each parent be responsible for his or her actions. Worry about your own education, worry about what congress and the so called lawmakers are doing to this great country! Worry about your sports. As for my education.................... That is between me and God! He takes care of my worries, I don't need you or some politician trying to tell me how my child should be educated. At least my child will know what the constitution and the bill of rights WAS, and the purpose behind them. From what I understand a lot of GOVERNMENT schools are no longer teaching this. They are however, teaching children about Mexican laws and Asian history. Hey say what you want while your watching all the latest news on Brittney, or other celebrities on CNN or FOX. But please, mind your business, I'll mind mine and we should all be minding what the government is going try and pass on us all next! Turn off the tube get involved with your state reps, keep tabs on them, not me! But that may mean you would have to give up seeing a precious sporting event or something less meaningful. Our forefathers' would be spitting nails and fighting for all of us. United they stood, but divided we will fall. Dear God, I pray for this country, because we have turned from you, have mercy upon our ONCE great nation. Amen

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join