It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stock Markets On Monday

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Yeah....the wife and I went to Costco and stocked up on the non-perishables today. It was sort of sureal actually. People were buying big screen tv's and a miriad of other non-essential "pleasure" items. Sheeple indeed!

Why does this not surprise me. I mean after all, ya' gotta have a big screen HDTV to survive! I bet they even charged it on their nifty little VISA card.

I really do live in the sticks in a small community. I think most are sheeple because of conversations I have had, or overheard, in the past, but I don't really know. I haven't been to town since Friday, so I don't know what the thinking is now. I think that most of them don't have a clue.

I am thankful that I do live in the sticks with an abundance of wildlife, the ability to have a garden, a clean river that runs thru town and a community that pulls together when necessary. We are pretty isolated - no major highways or roads. If you end up here, you either intended to be here or you got seriously lost! LOL! It's a 25 mile round trip to the little grocery store and 50 miles RT to one that has more than the basics. Another BIG plus is we have NO crime, even though we don't have a police department. We have a constable that's a pretty cool guy and every once in a while, a deputy sheriff from the county will drive thru town. So, I think if things do get really bad, we will fare better than larger towns and huge cities.

I have enough food for a few weeks, well water, a hunting rifle, and a little bit of silver. I'm not in great shape, but probably better than most around here. I, at least, know what could happen and hopefully will have time to get better prepared, just in case.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
i predict they will go down. But then rise again for another injection into the arm, i mean fed. Then go back down again.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
DOW11236.16 -152.28 -1.34%

Almost noon now, hummm...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Of course the DOW is going to be down, like now it's at -211, at 1230 EST.

Government will never move fast enough for Wall Street, that's just a fact. With only a PENDING bailout, of course the selloff will be prevelant.

To the guy a few posts back that said that the DOW wouldn't be down because of the ban on shorts, you couldn't be more wrong. Short-Selling is by FAR the culprit in the DOW's demise or any of the markets indices for that matter. In fact, were it not for shorts, companies like, oh, Enron, Tyco, would still be enjoying fraudalent books at everyone elses expense. In fact, the DOW certainly will (and did) drop because of aforementioned factors AND a simple loss of confidence in their ability to make a profit. A ban on shorts seriously HURTS us more than helps. It was an ill-fated attempt at making the major indices look better than they actually are.

See how long that lasted? Serious investors are NOT stupid, nor easily fooled by semantics or a helluva lot of sentiment.

AB1

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Well, it's at -234 at 1:30est. Let's see how much more it drops before close

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
My brother-in-law feels it is immoral to sell-short.

Do you all think we'll break 11100 today?

as of this posting: 11132.14 (-256.30) moved up a few points from 11124 while I wrote this.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by 2stepsfromtop]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 2stepsfromtop

Morals have nothing to do with money
I will short anything at any time for a buck, and sleep well at night as well. My Dad told me Friday that it will dip on people taking profits and running for the hills as the big boys buy it all up 10% cheaper. Looks like that is what is going on right now.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I wish I had the money to get into the stock market.. I think now would be a good time to make money. Buy stocks when the market plunges 400 points, wait for the fed to pump money into it.. and sell em' when it goes back up.. Would be great

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ketzer22
I wish I had the money to get into the stock market.. I think now would be a good time to make money. Buy stocks when the market plunges 400 points, wait for the fed to pump money into it.. and sell em' when it goes back up.. Would be great

If I'm not mistaken (please correct me if I am wrong) the Feds haven't really done much for the stocks. Every time they have intervened it has made matters worse. Right now they are working on bailouts for the mortgage companies. That really won't do much for the remainder of the stocks that are unrelated to the housing crises. So buying when the market plunges is only going to jeopardize your money more. Lets say you buy shares in ohh I don't know.. Pepsi. If the market plunges down, you are not going to hear about the feds bailing out a company like Pepsi. You just lost you money. And the impression I am under right now is that goes for pretty much any stock that does not have something to do with the major banks or the mortgage companies. My husband grandmother has a 401K with Con Ed. I'm not even sure if that is a safe bet at this juncture. Like I said earlier though, I could be wrong. If I am, someone enlighten me a little please. This is just what I am gathering from the current situation.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by 2stepsfromtop

My brother-in-law feels it is immoral to sell-short.

A short sale guarantees equal buying pressure. However when a person liquidates their holdings they are not required to buy the stock at any future point. If he feels it is immoral to short sell he should also feel it is immoral to liquidate his holdings.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Markets close in about 45 minutes and I see what looks like it's gonna be another end of the day massive sell-off starting. It's 265 (or so) down right now, my prediction: -400.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Yep...-311.42 right now

I bet it closes near -350

[edit on 22-9-2008 by MatrixBaller04]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
It's -372 right now

Damn....What a loss. I bet the same happens tomorrow...and the next day...and the next.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Keep this Song in mind while you watch the stocks fall...

WIPE OUT

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Can't wait till it breaks 400... How much time before it closes?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by '___'eed

Markets closed at -373 down 3%

the market closes at 4:00 PM EST by the way

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mexdude

Originally posted by '___'eed

Markets closed at -373 down 3%

the market closes at 4:00 PM EST by the way

Awe... well, there's always tomorrow.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stander
The Dow shouldn't move downward, because the Securities and Exchange Commission put short sellers temporarily out of action. They got banned until October 2.

The Asian market is a good indicator how other traders feel about the situation that extends beyond Wall Street.
N/A
No one seems to be freaking out in Asia, so why would Wall St?

Whyvhywhywhywhy . . .?

Ask Nostradamus.
The far biggest gainer today was AIG, the doomsday company. So one would say that that AIG stock would show the way to go. But the top ten losers were mostly financial guys!

The 3.2% downturn seems to be a mood swing. If the slide continues till Friday then the bear is out of the den. I guess the investors want to see the corporate earnings report first.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I wonder if it will keep going down like that all week, especially if there are leaks which make the bailout bill look bad.

Could it go back down to around 10,400?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join