It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'But You're A Christian!'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I will be honest

I have said/thought the words but you are Christian before

At times it has been without real cause and in defence, but at other times, with merit, IMHO.

I have seen those that taught me the Bible as a young Christian act so contrary to the words they taught.

Its a tough one. I guess we must stand back an pause for a moment when it happens

David

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
the way i see it no one can judge me except God, what used to irritate me was having the whole crusades, inquisition etc garbage thrown in my face, like i was was the one who gave the order or engaged in those activities.. i wasnt even born then for pitys sake !

i eventually see it as nothing more than the attempts of a very sad soul trying to drag me down to their level, yes my religeon was responsible for that and no it wasnt a very christian thing to do but times have moved on and i like to think my fellow christians and i have learned from those dark times so that they will not be repeated in the future.

another tactic that used to annoy me was people attacking christians about the bible then quoting the OT at me, it is a part of our religeon that we inherited from judaism if they have a problem with the old testament they should take it up with the jews, my concern is Jesus and his message to the world, not wether Noah could really put 2 of all the animals in the world on his ark or wether there really was an Adam and Eve.

it took me time but i learned to identify trolling and i tend to ignore those threads/posts/people now

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Hey I know I for one want to be told by fellow Christians when I make mistake. tell me please if I'm doing something wrong. I love being corrected because it shows that the person doesn't have respect for peoples.

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Hi Ashley

This happened to me not too long ago
I had this friend who was really wanting to know the Lord ..so I led her to him as best as I could with the bible and prayer and my advice as best as I could .
She was moving right along and I thought she got it ...well she slipped (Not sure how or why ) and started being hateful and spiteful to everyone she knows ...She also got real selfish (which was what we were working on the most about her) ...I had to tell her how she was acting and that it is not a good example to those around her (who were all non believers) and she got so mad she started flinging hateful words at me ..I am not a real christain ..I am contradictive,I have no love (lol) and she was sorry she ever even met me .
This was hurtful to my heart ...and I thought ok ..so maybe I am guilty of all those things (even though I told her what I told her very lovingly and just wanted to help her before she hurt everyone in sight) ...
Even though I didnt think I deserved it ..I took it as a rebuke and said ok Lord ..so I need to be more humble ..and more understanding ..
I also knew though that she felt so guilty that it turned it to vengence ...so to me we were both wrong and we both had some answering to do before God ...
I just backed away ...and so did she ...it took three weeks for her to come out and say ...I am so sorry for what all I have said to you .....I did forgive her ..but I also know now what she is really made of inside (she was pretending to be a Christian just for me ) ...at least thats what I think what happened ....I do not hang with her anymore ...we do talk ..and I forgive her ...but maybe now she can see that she needs to stop the pretending because GOD will not be fooled ....

Anyway ....I take every rebuke (even unfair ones) as the Lord telling me to be more humble ...but also that there is something in that person mocking you that has a real problem or they would respect you more .and not have to resort to name calling or accusations ...*(Remember that it is the devil who is the accuser of the brethren) >...

PS I also realized that what I was doing that was in the wrong ..was maybe I was pushing her too hard ...trying to get her to move forward to fast ...maybe I am even the one to blame for her fall ..I dont know ..
I was just really worried about her and I meant well ..it just didnt turn out like I was praying it would ...

[edit on 29-9-2008 by Simplynoone]

posted on Sep, 29 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

Hey I know I for one want to be told by fellow Christians when I make mistake. tell me please if I'm doing something wrong. I love being corrected because it shows that the person doesn't have respect for peoples.

Amen, "Iron sharpens iron".

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Ashley D and others,

I've only had time to read the first page of this thread and feel compelled to reply. I will continue with the other pages later on tonight when I return.

On Judging.

As believers we are indeed to judge...but to judge Righteous Judgement. Thus meaning not our own or own traditions but His Judgements and teachings. Many non believers use the quote about not judging to mean no judgement at all...period. They are mistaken.
In addition to this many Believers are indeed mistaken and misled by non believers who try to use this kind of "logic and reason" to play through or default unchallenged. It does not work with me.

We are to Judge everything...constantly by His teachings..not our traditions...or logic and reason. If we do not make judgements...how will we know when to put out of the Church or to not mix leaven with unleaven ...new wine with olde. How will we know "not" to associate ourselves with the things of this world or the god of this world.

Another thing of note here...be very careful of what unbelievers will try to use on you in terms of "logic and reason. To most of them "logic and reason" are in fact the basis of their religion...their belief system. It is often very sensible...it is just not of Faith.

The other thing to be wary of in this world is the emotional treadmill. The technique of seduction and misdirection used so often in this world and by the god of this world is emotionalism combined with what seems to be logic and reason. Whenever someone tries to put me on an emotional treadmill...I become immediately alarmed and wary. I then take a closer look at the seeming logic behind it if I am even interested. It is for the purpose of defaulting through unquestioned and unchallenged on a idea, concept, or process. We are not to become emotionally caught up in the things of this world...in the patterns of this world....to become an emotional train wreck as is so often done by most of the leaders and entertainers shilling for various causes/leaders in this world.

Ashley D,

A particular word of strength and encouragement to you.

I too am from the South. Olde Virginia. I love the mannerism and genteel ism to still be found down here in places in the south. I hope and pray it never leaves the south for the "fast food lane" as is so wont in many places around the country.

There is nothing wrong with being genteel or civil..even meek and mild. I wish I could more often be just so. Alas it is one of my personal failings. This is indeed a trait to be much desired.
However...what we also are as Christians and Believers...is when necessary ...Salty. We are of the Salt of the Earth..not the sugar. Do not allow other to misdirect you or make you feel guilty about being Salty when necessary. What you will learn to sense is that these peoples are often mistaking your meekness and mildness for weakness...it is not so when you know about Salt.
What you find when dealing with persons who attempt sluggish default type behaviors in misdirection or deception...is that they often cannot withstand Salt. We know the reaction of slugs to salt. It is no different in the Word/our Armor...for it is also a two edged sword. It will cut them as well as us if we are disobedient. This Salt of which I speak is not of us Ashley D..not of us.....understand?? It is of Him. Not to be used in our vanity or traditions....but to be used in His Glory or reasons.
Most of the time when I see rantings or ravings of the type you are posting about ..I let them go. Not really interested. But on occasion I will reply back with the results I have described above.
You must be absolutely certain and knowledgeable in the application of this Salt..and not in our own vanity...or traditions.

Greetings and salutations to Whitewave, Big Whammy, to you Ashley D. and other Brethren. Keep the Faith.

Must make haste now.
Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 30-9-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JesusisTruth

Hey I know I for one want to be told by fellow Christians when I make mistake. tell me please if I\'m doing something wrong. I love being corrected because it shows that the person doesn\'t have respect for peoples.

Amen to that!

me too, in ALL aspects of my life please!

As long as its a biblical correction and not of some pc whim, that is

all the best

David

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
This is along the lines of what I'm referring to and thought I would share/vent. I probably shouldn't have called the person a 'sick bastard' but anyone who excuses, condones, or downplays the persecution, murder, and imprisonment, of men, women, and children for their religious faith should be called for what they are.

Anyways, in the CIR forum, a member said this while discussing Eastern religious persecution:

China and India have every reason to worry about the spread of religions... I don't believe it's so much "persecution" over there, as it is preventing mass stupidity.

After wiping the vomit from my chin, I called them a sick bastard. Not one of my scrapbook-worthy moments of shining examples of Christ-like behavior but that comment made me sick to my stomach because I detest violence.

However, someone came along and said this:

Now, now...
That kind of language isn't very Christian of you, is it? What have they been teaching you at bible school?

Um. Excuse me? What is wrong with humanity? To actually be more concerned with my outrage over someone's veiled endorsement of religious persecution over being concerned with the person who justifies and condones the murder of innocents because they deem their beliefs stupid?

Anyways, I'm not looking for sympathy and surely some Christians would consider my use of the word 'bastard' to be in poor form. And it was- I won't excuse it. I'm human, too. However when I see the 'you're a bad Christian' card being used while totally ignoring what caused my outrage, I get physically ill. As if I'm being an intolerant Christian due to the fact someone's trivialization of the loss of life disgusted me.

Rant over.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

I guess it comes down to whose opinion you value. For what it's worth, I don't think you're a bad Christian. You've ben an inspiration on this board, helpful (with avatars and such), willing to admit mistakes made. "There is one judge...." and it's not me and it's not the poster who threw your comment in your face.

What defines a "good" Christian anyway? Is it someone who never makes a mistake? I'm not going with that one for obvious and personal reasons.

Is it someone who lives in abject poverty, physically beating themselves up for their "sins"? Is a good Christian someone who routinely "goes to church", pays their tithes, doesn't wear white after Labor Day?

Ultimately we all (believers and non-believers alike) have to answer to the same God. I don't think pointing out the splinter in someone else's eye is going to hide the beam in our own eyes.

As far as the "sick bastard" comment- I did have to chuckle to myself when I read that. We can "be angry and sin not" and, if you look at some of the things Christ called the Pharisees, you'll see that his righteous indignation was ignited a few times, too. You've repented for your (how shall we say?) less than charitable remark. We all learn from our mistakes (hopefully).

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by whitewave

me neither ashleyD

i think we can all flip a lid at some point and although we must try harder, we are just human after all

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

i]

I am with Whitewave here. And I too chuckled in my vanity.

As far as the "sick bastard" comment- I did have to chuckle to myself when I read that. We can "be angry and sin not" and, if you look at some of the things Christ called the Pharisees, you'll see that his righteous indignation was ignited a few times, too. You've repented for your (how shall we say?) less than charitable remark. We all learn from our mistakes (hopefully).

I think she spoke well with her reply. And indeed Jesus Christ was less than charitable with the Pharisees.

We try not to give in to our baser instincts but it is a constant struggle and one in which we are not always successful. I can most certainly testify to such.

Keep the Faith Ashley,
Pray concerning this for Strength,

Orangetom

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
See here is what I see. Most of you know that I am a Pagan. Hopefully most of you know I am not concerned with your faith and am happy you are so steadfast abd faithful. In this exact same context I can agree.

Saying "well you're a crappy Christian is nothing more than beligerent behavior by men and women who have no serious argument. I do not believe Christianity is right and I do have my issues with it. I can defend myself fully without referring to such tactics. (though I am sure I've been guilty a time or two. If I am, I am truly sorry)

What upsets me in this light is when a Christian tells me I am flat wrong, evil, or needing some magical life preserver from God. I am exquisitely happy that Christianity has made those individuals set in life. I want nothing more than for people to be happy and peaceful. What irritates me is that I have to listen to the talk that I am bad and messed up. So when I defnd myself I get screwed as well. I think both sides are equally bashed.

-Kyo

"Those who are not against us, are for us"...Jesus

Kyo, he came to his own, but his own rejected him. He comes in his fathers name which is "Self-existent". Not one came into the world with out him because his name is "self-existent is salvation".

I apologize for every Christian who's done this to you and I ask for your forgiveness for them. They know not what they do...we all don't when we hurt one another.

I am thankful and humbled by your heart and your love for your fellow man, so as to fulfill law before them, which to you is liberty, but to them is burden.

To those who've forgotten he says, "to the least of these, so too have you done it unto me".

Peace to you

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
I will be honest and admit to getting pretty irritated when the, 'Some Christian you are!' card is used especially when it is pretty obvious it is only a manipulation tactic and the accusation is not justified.

I am absolutely with you and friending you.

Is there a wrong way to get people to understand why I think they should believe what I believe? its obvious everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions, but like anyone that cares about other's beliefs we will try and influence our own for various reasons.

The world is confusing, but my heart tells me to defend my faith, even if it means contradicting my opinions or conceding with certain others. In the end my faith stays the same, although its very hard for opposers to understand why...especially since I have agreed with them and don't appear ignorant.. and that's the tactic....

maybe they will try and find out why my heart says to defend my faith and just maybe they will slowly grab interest in the subtleties of my understanding. - Is it being a crappy christian? probably, I just have this feeling God's not sweating it. lol

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I dont think it is right to be evil to a non believer. To call them with evil in your heart that they're going to hell. But I dont believe we as a christian have to say the truth. And we must preach. The truth is if you dont believe in God and that he has a Son to which all salvation comes you wont have eternal life. God and Jesus are out there. And there is a battle going on. Sometime as christian because what we preach will make people angry. Jesus comes to bring a sword. First war then peace. Dont think that we as christian on earth will always be peaceful about our beliefs. We already have (which I think is wrong) angry christian in the street on New years. At some point in time those not of the faith will openly preach against christianity. It will be in that time that we must pick up our swords and fight the good fight. Sorry Kyo for I dont mean to comdemn you. I wished you are saved and have eternal life. Maybe one day you will see the truth of God and the bible.

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
As Christians we cannot save anyone nor condem anyone to hell and damnatioin. That is for God to do ..not us. We can tell them of the Word and the Way..but if God has not changed thier heart or done His work in them ...they will be dead people to what we are telling them.

No problem with me....if they want to follow the way of the world and the god of this world.

Now if they are ready for and hungry for the Word..no problem again.

I dont tell non believers they are going to hell. None of my buisness to do so...for I know ..that we all deserve hell and damnation...believers and non believers both. We deserve no better. This knowledge does not change my Faith.

Orangetom

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
hello all

i think despite our own feelings we must be careful not to do/say anything that would reflect badly on the Lord.

I think we must be solid and truthful in defending our faith. This will anger many. howver we shouldnt try to hit back or hurt because our own pride is dented. That would be wrong.

I know we are only human but we must follow Christs example. be passionate about the truth but do not return evil with evil.

david

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join