It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Finds Unidentified Object in Space, Scientists Puzzled

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
REgarding the quality. one thing that came to mind was that WE have somewhat detailed and colored pics of the earliest part of the universe, which is farther away than this object and is about 50 times better quality and yet this pic is in black and white and grainy.
Might have something to do with them filtering it because of the 21 magnitude. That or they don't want to show us what it really is.

It's simple signal to noise ratio. Not only was this object at magnitude 21 at its peak, but it was also changing gradually over time. Total exposure time for the hubble deep field (HDF) was 42 hours in each wavelength, but unlike this object, they were able to combine all the hours of observation for a single clean image. For this object they needed continual monitoring, so that means that they can't combine all of the images taken over then entire period because then you'd only see the "average" brightness, not the true brightness for any given point in time. It's simply the most honest way to present the data to produce an image that shows the true brightness at a given timepoint rather than a meaningless image that shows the average brightness over the entire timepoint. Even if they did the latter it would probably look terrible since the object is constantly changing in brightness, so you'd see concentric rings representing the object at various timepoints superimposed on each other.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thill
nah not a spaceship , but nibiru comming out of hyperspace

That would be about the ONLY way Nibiru could possibly sneak up on us and make it here by 2012....

This will give them more fuel for the fire...

Nibiru, the giant Annunnaki Hyperspace Global Ship is on its way... one jump gate at a time...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
we have done somthing creating,altering or attrarcting this thing whatever it is , my theroy is that the our reality is changing rapidly by things going on throughout the universe meaning time and our reality as we know it keeps shifting in all sorts of directions

im not a scientist nor do i have a degree its just a sense of mine , if people would pull their heads out their asses and be serious about things and help each other we wouldent be like we are. everything is going to crash and burn and it was us and them who did it not god. Us and (they) are the abominations

well whatever anyways i just wannted to post my oppinion im sure there are lots of errors in my spelling i dont care

there needs to be a world wide revolution if you want to see change you want to finally know the truth then step up people unite as one and take down the world order that is corrupt!

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Maybe it's us...billions of years ago...shooting that 'is there life out there beam' and they're waiting for a response...history tends to repeat itself you know...

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

Well, it could be a Deep Space Ship dropping out of hyperspace then powering up and jumping back into hyperspace, which would explain why the object vanished.

As light takes time to travel to us, we might have luckily witnessed some Deep Space Travellers stopping to examine that part of the Universe then moving back into hyperspace... Who knows where they went or could be now. heh heh

Then again who knows what the object was, it could also be some other phenomenon that we don't recognize yet.

The interesting thing is that it didn't behave as a natural occurance, it simply "showed up in 1 piece" then "left in 1 piece". no risidual nothing. lol

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
found a great article in New Scientist about this:

It seems like it could be a very distant supernova whiose duration ahs been stretched from the expansion of the universe,

or perhaps a local white dwarf nova:

source

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I wish this wasn't one of those things that we might never know the answer to.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brainiac
reply to post by LostNemesis

Well, it could be a Deep Space Ship dropping out of hyperspace then powering up and jumping back into hyperspace, which would explain why the object vanished.

So you don't think 100 days of 'powering up' and 100 days of 'vanishing' are a factor?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
sounds kiinda like a star exploding, or some new type of supernova?? but 100 days? do they know of anything similar that behaves the same way?? the duration period is very interesting. but with the vastness of space, there is so much we don't know,,,,or maybe shouldn't know:] look at our oceans. what percent has been explored????? weeee tiny parts. with space, we haven't even scratched the surface!! hope to hear more soon.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
just a thought, but could they tell whether the object was actually stationary?

e.g. if a car drove in a straight line with its lights on for a mile and then drove the same route back in reverse gear, the effect of the headlights brightening then dimming would be the same to an observer looking at it 1.5 miles up that same road.

could this have been something that moved into and out of view in the same way?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I would like to give Kudos to TheAgentNineteen for finding the original research article. I'm sure that he can tell you that many scientific studies/research projects aren't withheld from the public per se, but often time is needed to confirm calculations and draw conclusions. If anyone is interested, the Astrophysical Journal can be found here: Astrophysical Journal. It has many interesting (although quite complicated) articles on the latests discoveries.

Bear with me, if you will. Actually reading the article shows some interesting things. The quotes will be taken from this research (Thanks again TheAgentNineteen): Research

Although the combination of H
, H ,
and Na i consistently fits three of the observed features,
the strong feature at 5360 °A and the weaker feature at
6330°A are left unexplained. No other narrowband emission
or absorption lines are detected. The spacing of the
five absorption features is inconsistent with periodicity
in energy, as might be expected for cyclotron harmonics.
Oddly, the features are nearly (but not exactly) periodic
in wavelength.

Tells me that the spectum absorbtion and emission is no like anything else that they have found, to date.

I apologize for copying this next long quote... but it seems to say that there are no microlensing (or curving of light through space-time anamolies such as black holes) events between the object and our observation of it:

Although the symmetry of the lightcurve (Fig. 2) suggests
that the transient is a microlensing event, this interpretation
is unlikely. The lightcurve is dramatically
broader than the theoretical lightcurve for microlensing
of a point source by a single lens (Paczynski 1986). The
typical lightcurve FWHM of high-magnification (peak
magnification  300) microlensing events is on the order
of a few hours (e.g., Abe et al. 2004; Dong et al. 2006)
whereas the transient’s lightcurve FWHM is 100 days
with a peak magnification 3 lower limit of 120. Also,
the color evolves a small but significant amount over the
lightcurve, particularly between epochs eight and nine.
Some of these difficulties can be overcome if we assume
the source is resolved; this can both change the shape
of the lightcurve and allow for color variation as different
source regions are differentially magnified. However,
this typically results in a lower peak magnification. Finally,
microlensing would still not explain the mysterious
spectrum.

Finally... The researchers seem to know better what it isn't than what it is. A truly wonderful event.

Nice job finding this, OP.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Amniodarone

You do know OP stands for Opening Post right?;D

Just had to make sure(:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:34 AM
link   
Or original poster..... but either way... it is a nice topic to discuss.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
"Either that or some dust on the Hubble lenses, so someone tell NASA to get some Windex up there too."

Seriously though, I wonder what it could have been? Maybe a micro blackhole exploding? Or dark matter? Weird! I hope they figure it out, I am intrigued!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
A blinking UFO planet.

Another dimension must be the answer...

Plasma spin jets exit the poles with inputs on the equator.

So an equatorial spin seems unlikely.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Warp signature. The light is displaced from another nearby star.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matyas
Warp signature. The light is displaced from another nearby star.

I though I told you NOT to let them see us testing the new ship???

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Do the names Obilish and Enocgoendosh mean anything to anyone? i may have mispelled it but, I think it is hebrew.

Curious if anyone has ever heard of these two planets before.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I've checked out the published paper and saw that they are measuring Epoch light with mag. Radius of (JP!3332] mag. respectively. It cannot be done measured in this light frequency of (MAG. JP3332) therefore the paper looks very interesting to me even though I don't understand the astro=PHDs jargon good post and thanks. This will be one to watch maybe it's Sibiru Nibirus sister. Seriously though this has got my interest.
Again thanks for the post.

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Hail Zorgon! Headquarters Co. system was hacked we here at G-3 though the Admiralty was advised of this. Yes It would appear that this is a signature of tremendous energy. We believe that the whole fleet has been compromised. Gods help us.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join