It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS...money or members? or both?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Well I guess its fine as long as the members are okay with the fact that the site owners could in fact present misinformation to get financial gain and no one would ever know. If people are okay with that then cool.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Gone

www.nasa.gov

Show me where the ad is and I will believe you, I am browsing nasa for the past three years and never came across a ad.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Gone
Well I guess its fine as long as the members are okay with the fact that the site owners could in fact present misinformation to get financial gain and no one would ever know. If people are okay with that then cool.

One clarification the site owners dont post information here it is the various users who post information here and site owners are acting as a base for the information,

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

An add doesn't have to be a pop up window or a flashy banner. It can be so much as a link to another site somewhere on their site. Don't be so obtuse. You should realize there are other ways of doing things other than the traditional way.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   

So the site owners don't post information? They don't ever post? Ok. right.

And what about Dave Rabbit and Johnny Anonymous who represent the company. What about the Gilliland Ranch stuff plastered everywhere? They didn't post that, right?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I don't know about you guys, but when I run a business, I want to look out for what's generating my paycheck. You all act like it's such a ridiculous claim, but would believe a thread about aliens eating pop tarts in my living room if I posted it probalby. Come on.

[edit on 9/14/2008 by Mr Gone]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
I have absolutely no idea what your tack is here gone. But you are doing a fine job of really irritating me.

If you feel like you are being somehow subversed by the site you know how to deal with that. And I don't like nebbynoses who want to smell everyones shorts.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:09 AM
link   

An add doesn't have to be a pop up window or a flashy banner. It can be so much as a link to another site somewhere on their site. Don't be so obtuse. You should realize there are other ways of doing things other than the traditional way.

Just tell me where there is a link to a site saying you can buy a telescope here at this price in nasa.gov and i will beleive you

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Gone

Oh sorry for the wrong information the site owners do post but it is regarding the various research they have done and about the rules and new things added to ats like the recent political trolling thread.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I am irritating you, sorry, don't care. Free speech. And I am using my freedom of speech.

I just would like to inquire about the quality of the information here. Make sure it's not tainted by money.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Advertisement is more than just advertising a product. You could advertise another business. Like for instance, CERN could pay NASA to link to them in their site somewhere.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Gone

What CERN is doing business, mind your words dont think of science and business as the same, science is a good and respectable field and science has the intention to understand the world and the universe alone.

REMEMBER CERN IS NOT PROFITING FROM ANYTHING.

Everything is mutual research workings dont say them as commercial they work from government funding.

[edit on 14-9-2008 by peacejet]

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Whoa chill out there dude. I was merely using an example. Not saying CERN actually does that. And science is a profitable business FYI, take a look at how much the pharmaceutical companies make for discovering new drugs. Yowza.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I would like to thank you couple members for coming out tonight to have this discussion btw.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:32 AM
link   
And I thank you for the participation also.

I still think that you are flogging a dead horse.

I don't think that ATS will give you up purely for profit.

Revenue has too come from somewhere...

I hope the ATS ADMIN comment on this, and soon.

Cheers, Fox.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by fox_3000au

Well thanks for being reasonable and understanding where I am coming from. I just want to know the quality of the info I am reading. After all this IS a conspiracy site folks.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   

reply to post by jpm1602

I am irritating you, sorry, don't care. Free speech. And I am using my freedom of speech.

I just would like to inquire about the quality of the information here. Make sure it's not tainted by money.

OH MY FREAKIN GOD!
You are a member here FOR FREE. You have access to a wealth of information put here FOR FREE by members who devote their time and effort to research and posting it, just for FEEDBACK..NOT MONEY.
Yes, ATS is a business..SO FREAKIN WHAT?
It does cost money to keep the site running.
SO FREAKIN WHAT?
Would you go into Walmart and start questioning the products on the shelf...wondering if the quality is tainted by the money made on it? Go Ahead! Picket your protests outside of the Walmart head office. Demand an Audit of all profits and see how far you get.
Think I'm making a comparison where there is none?
Think again.
Geez..get a life.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Who cares if the owners make money on this site. They have to pay the bills so you can post for FREE don't they? How many here donated in the past so they could keep the site going? Let's count the hands raised (Crickets chirping). If the owners of this site can keep it going and make a profit on the side good for them. It's a tremendous amount of hard work to keep a site like this alive. I know, I'm in the business. I hope Stringer and rest of them purchased stock in Tylenol too because the amount of headaches they get sifting through the nonsense posted here is unimaginable.

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
first, the site you linked to is using figures that are wrong. traffic, page views, daily revenue etc. all wrong.

plus, the value of the site is not the actual revenue. according to that site we bring in $550 or so dollars a day. That's $200,000 a year. The value of something is what it is worth, should you want to sell it. The revenue is what you actually bring in.

There are costs to running a site that is, according to quantcast, the 2,736 most trafficked site on the net. Lots of costs. ATS has been around for over ten years. Not once has a member had to pay to read the content. Over ten years of spending money to provide a home for many and content for all. If the owners were making back some of the costs from over ten years, would it be that bad?

posted on Sep, 14 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
People come here for free....so where is the conflict..?

This seems much ado about nothing, or even worse attempting to generate issues where none exist for a hidden agenda.

There is more information on these boards than most educational sites, scholars post here, and i can learn about quantum mechanics or debate theologies with learned individuals.
This Site is a blessing to people that may not be able to leave their home, and we can debate people from all over the world never leaving our desk. It is a wonderful tool and resource.

It is always curious when people take risk and place their blood sweat and tears on the line to create something, there is a need to judge or render critical analysis.
Some people had the vision to create this site, they took the risk and invested thousands of hours and themselves into it...god bless them, increase their storage capacity and if they earn a living, all the better.

The premise of this thread does not pass simple logic...nobody pays to post here, and if any thread is not worthy of response, it will not last.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join