It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you were suddenly put in charge of your country....

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Avenginggecko

Cheers my friend (clicked you on my friends list. Hope you'll do the same). I agree that this thread has gone off great! So many great ideas, many of which I've never considered. Thanks for opening my eyes to them, folks.

Be well.

-Static Sky

Also, I like your user name, too. Had a little chuckle about that. If you need help with your avatar, click Roswell1's name in my signature. He'll hook you up. I'll help you apply it if he's too busy. just let me know. (U2U).

[edit on 9/15/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
i'm in australia.first up i'd spend an amount equal to 1% of gdp on a space program.put in perspective that's 200 times the global average,100 times what the usa spends(it would end up being around 10 times the usa space budget given their larger economy)

their first priority is establishing largely self sufficient (with a view to totally self sufficient)modular space stations and a modular moon base or 3,with a vehicle capable of travelling between earth and the space/moon bases.when that's done,onto mars.

the defence budget would be spent on defence.an attacking force would pay a heavy toll invading my country.not 1 cent would be spent on overseas deployments or equipment to facilitate such,outside of a ww3 scenario.

2 years mandatory national service at 18.girls get 6 months combat training then 18 months medical,communications etc.guys 2 years combat training.you're given a standard issue assault rifle to take home at the end of the 2 years which must be presented for inspection yearly.

there is no social security.if you're not disabled you get the choice of military national service or the new civilian national service.you keep the streets clean etc for a decent minimum wage,not a handout that encourages laziness,crime etc.

every day,2 hours per day sports programs for kids at school,kindergarten through high school(the last 2 hours of the school day) i want kids coming home fit and tired not fat and hypo.

monday is now part of the weekend.employers/employees can work out if they want to work 4 x 10 hour days instead of 5 x 8 or whatever.life is short,more leisure time for all.

i'd ban tobacco companies,legalize homegrown tobacco(2 plants per household or something)selling it gets you a heavy jail term.if people are out there tending their tobacco they might end up also planting some fruit and veg to make it really worth their while.

ok that's a wall of text,that'll do for my first year

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by aylyan

Great stuff here. With your relatively small population I like your military proposal to fend of any other nations who might consider envading. I also love the '"civilian national service" idea. I've thought a similar plan might benefit Canada, too. Some way to give young adults sound working structure could be worked in easily. Nicely done.

Also, I love your avatar. That's a 'silly walker' is it not? Be well.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Static Sky
For the record, I still maintain I'd keep Canada in NATO and the UN. But I'd work hard to keep friendly relations with Portugal.
And maybe work hard to keep NATO and the UN relevant, as per all of our allies. Be well.

-Static Sky

Why Portugal?

That was just weird...

I'm Canadian, and I'm in Portugal right now...

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
one great thing this thread shows is that people with informatio make far greator choices for their country than politicians do.

All the things that I have read really shows why a theoretical democracy works better than anything. Informed citizens know how to run one hell of a country.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by NorthWolfe CND

A poster a few threads earlier on the same page gave a great response and was from Portugal. Then, a couple posts later another poster agreed with the poster from Portugal about pulling out of NATO and the UN. Thus my comment.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by caballero

I agree. I'm seeing much better ideas from the people than I do from the people elected to represent the people. All it seems you ever get from the latter, is refried stale ideas from the same old things. Some of the folks on this thread seem to have actual solutions to some of our ongoing problems. A truly novel concept. Thanks for posting. Peace.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Also, I love your avatar. That's a 'silly walker' is it not? Be well.

yeah that's john cleese as the minister for silly walks.i reckon i'd need a decent treasurer for my own ministry of silly walks..the numbers for my space program are wrong.they looked large when i wrote them and they are.can't find the edit button,so it's 20 times the global average,10 times the american commitment,which would result in a similar budget to the usa's.

1 last thing i'd do is put the guy in this interview in charge of education.maybe he could teach me how many places to move the decimal point.if you're interested in education and have a spare hour the interview is well worth listening to.click the headphones

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Hey static sky appreciate the conversation starter, was really surprised at the answers alot of people gave, read about 4 pages worth of there ideas. while some were idiotic and some very intelligent i was surprised none the less. ill present my changes in mostly list order and stages just because of the shear list of changes and things id do.

Country i would dictate "united states of america"
Reason: i live here and have experienced the country first hand

Changes

First, id politley ask afghanistan and iraq what they wanted killed off complete the task and get out, we've been there long enough, before we left we would enter a defensive position only and withdraw all major armor and aircraft elements back home. Iraqi and afghani forces would be responsible for there own offensives. all water electricity and sewage plants would be brought back online if insurgents blow it up after we leave well thats there problem.

Secondly, now that all of our troops are back home we can eliminate a organization and cut major costs that are associated with it. FEMA will get the boot. Since our troops are home from the middle east they can tend to any major catastrophies just fine. Having the troops home also gives us the ability to patrol our borders and stop illegal immigration which will enable us to stop wasting money on pointless walls and fences that are climbed cut and tunneled around.

Third, Having the troops home would give us another asset on the war on drugs. Marijuana would be legalized and treated much like alcohol not allowed in school or under the influence while driving or in school. driving under the influence of marijuana would bring about the same consequences of drunk driving. Enabling marijuana as legal would both Bring in revenue on item taxes just like liquor and ciggerettes are taxed. I know alot of people are saying oh great taxes on marijuana, well listen to this. More money is spent on marijuana possession charges in court, and on search and seizures of marijuana fields and large amount of money that goes into stopping the shipping of marijuana than you can imagine all you people tying up the system pay for all the courts fees by making them taxing u else where. Making it legal and adding a 20cent tax stamp to your dimebag isnt going to be much of a hassle to you, you can find that 20 cents on your car floor and all the money saved by not hunting down marijuana dealers and growers and prosecuting possesion charges in court would be so tremendous its rediculous..sorry for no actual numbers its to much to research. All other drugs such as cocain,xtasy,pcp all that will still remain illegal,shrooms as well sorry guys its to damaging to teh brain lol.

Fourthly, man im running out of characters. The criminal system would see serious reform. states would no longer have individual rules in the court all laws would be universal regaurding criminal charges, no commiting a crime in one state and getting less of a punishment then u would in another. All crimes that currently obtain life sentences have a choice, either they choose death now or Work in labor camps for the rest of there sentence until they are unable to work anymore they would then be retired to a normal jail cell for the remainder of there senior laborcamp retired days. Appeals and parole would still be available, i believe some people make mistakes other well are damned. Second time offenders get death right away no choice if convicted.

Fifth..ly? lol, ill end this on energy. I would not allow drilling in alaska. its one of the last pristine place we have. i would however promote arctice drilling. Federal money would be used to build and maintain WIND farms not private companies. Unused plains would be turned into agricultural farms and manned by military personnell why not use spare troops and space to bring down food prices.

and on a final note tho harsh, # the rest of the world help urself we need to bandage our own wounds before u.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Sorry sky had to add a little bit real quick, As for war Anyone that is part of nato will sign a non agressional pact which would state that as a member of nato you cannot start a war without the full backing of every country in nato. Attacking a country without the consent of the entire alliance would automatically get you booted from the protection net. The pact would also Garantee any unprovoked attack on a nation in nato by a country outside of nato would automatically be declared war upon by all the nations involved in nato. All nation would be required to send there offensive armed forces to crush the enemy. that country would not be occupied or parking lotted there military would just be utterly crushed by the nato forces. then the forces would withdraw back to tehre respective nations. any country that didnt send all of there offensive forces to the aid of a fellow country would be booted from the protection of nato. but this is assuming i can change nato as well, i wont touch the un cause its pretty much a joke to laugh at anyway.

OH and commercial space travel would be encourage but the space program would be taken over by the military just because the military will try and try again till it gets what it wants, nasa will still exist but it wouldnt be directly funded moon settlement would start as a military project and progress into a civilian sector same for eventually getting to mars the military would get there first lay the foundation then open the doors for other settlers/explorers

[edit on 17-9-2008 by JustInCase101]

[edit on 17-9-2008 by JustInCase101]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
This is for the US.
if you don't live in the US bug off.

1 Bring back chain gangs for drug criminals.

2. Change EPA laws on gasoline restrictions. all refineries would make one type of gasoline for the entire country.

3 Build factories to build solar panels and small wind turbines to sell at acost to home owner that want to save energy.

4 Build Fischer-tropsch plants around the US for turning trash and sewage into oil. then ban land fills for organic waste.
en.wikipedia.org...

5 A two year mandatory jail term for anyone entering the US illegally.

6 Islands for violent criminals put then on the islands with a non removable belt with a explosive charge. They try to escape GPS unit would detonate the charge.
The island would have one fortified building for the staff and medical for any convicts that could get there and a protection force.
But there would be no guards in the field.
A weekly MRE drops at random over the island to feed the convicts.
let them see what it is like to live in a society of violent criminal.

7 Remove all laws stopping a property owners from using a gun to arrest criminals on there property.
If the criminal resists oh well one less criminal.
If the criminal breaks into a home the homeowner can shoot the criminal.
saves taxpayer money to jail the criminal.

8 Raise the smoking age by one year every year.
after about 70 years all the smokers will be dead and no one will be younger -88 will be able to buy cigarettes.

9 Make a separation of church and state absolutely necessary.
Example if nudist want to go nude on there own property or have a nude beach they should have the right and the gov should set aside the beach.
religious groups should mind there own business and not try to control others.

10 Abolish sales tax on food, drug, medical supplies,

11 Give grants to disabled for cars so they have transportation (people on SSI SSD and veterans disability pensions) if there is no usable public transportation system to get them to there doctors, stores, ect,
In many parts of the US there are NO usable public system. and many disabled have to put off seeing there doctors because they have no way to get to the doctor office.
(I am one of these my VA doctors are 140 miles away and THERE IS NO public transportation system for me to use.

12 Give farmer the right to sue companies like Monsanto if there genetically modified crops contaminate the farmer fields. Set up a independent team to investigate all cases.
This will stop deep pockets companies from buying the verdict.

13 Turn base housing at closed military bases to low income housing for disabled veterans only.
This will protect disabled veterans by them not having to live the public low income housing PROJECTS where the criminals gangs and drug dealers have taken over.
In other places where there are none build low income housing projects just for veterans.
Why should our disabled military veterans after serving have to live in fear because the only housing they can get is overrun by criminals.

14 Make federal concealed weapon laws with training available to anyone that passes a background check.
A few years ago i worked in the mining industry and could buy with my federal permit all the explosives i needed or wanted for mining but could not get a CCW because the local county cops did not trust anyone.
This makes no sense.
I was a federal security officer for 2 1/2 years and held a top secret clearance for over 10 years. plus i was a firefighter/EMT for that county.
The more people that have a CCW in a area the less crime.
This can be seen in Texas where there are a lot of people with CCWs and the crime rate is dropped since the rules for CCWs went into affect.

15 Build more nuke power plants.

16 Teach martial arts in the public school.
I have seen this in the philippines and it makes for a safer country.

17 Require diabetic foods (low carb) be labeled as such and put where diabetics can find them in stores

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JustInCase101

Thank you for your opinions. You've obviously put a lot of thought into them and I thought they were very well presented. Much appreciated. I've been surprised by the number of posters who would pull out of NATO and the UN. Glad to see you would support NATO, at least.

I've always wanted to see the UN become the power it should/could be. You're right though. So far, it's something to be more laughed at, then feared. I think the UN should be the worlds police force, keeping all countries in line and fair to each other. But as of yet, they haven't got it right, in my opinion. They have a long ways to go before they could handle the job.

Anyways, thanks again and be well.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Static Sky

The success of this thread is due to the OP. Not only did you ask a great question, but you have been nurturing most every reply (even if you were horrified at the ideas, you still made a nice comment). Very well done, you have been openminded and encouraged participation, you obviously did not start this thread with an agenda in mind. : )

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Me as leader of the U.S.

1. Abolish the states and eliminate wasteful duplication of government at the sate and federal level; regional governors would be appointed by me.

2. Abolish the personal income tax system in its entirety. Government revenue would be collected through a national sales tax of (I estimate) about 22% on each dollar. To address regressivity, each person with a SSN would receive a yearly stipend form the government equal to a refund of the sales tax up to a level of approximately $20 thousand of expenditures (i.e. $4,400).

3. To ensure compliance with #2 above, all currency would be abolished and replaced with electronic money so that no sale could ever evade the tax. Purchases of foreign currency would be deemed the same as retail purchases and subject to the same 22% tax. Implanted microchips would connect consumers to their bank accounts and at the same time implement a satellite tracking system so that no one could ever hide anywhere from the government.

4. Foreigners with wealth would be welcomed with citizenship for payment of $1 million each. Foreigners without wealth but with marketable skills, would be able to defer payment of the immigration fee through garnering of wages in a U.S. job over a period of not more than five years.

5. Investments in science, research, and space exploration would be priorities of the government. College education grants from the government would be available to all high performing students. Rates of pay for elementary and secondary education teachers would be made competitive with the corporate sector.

6. All forms of political correctness would be banned forever. Sexual harrassment would be defined to mean actual bodily attacks. The notion that sticks and stones may break my bones, but words never hurt would become a national maxim. The government will no longer collect racial data, create quotas of any kind, or recognize any "protected class" as having any unique legal standing. All citizens are members of a protected class, none more so than others.

7. Relations with China would be publicly friendly, but in secret a bolt from the blue all-out attack would be planned. The longer we wait to recognize China as the enemy, the harder they will be to defeat (especially if we wait until they decide it is time to challenge us). At the same time, as the largest holder of U.S. government debt, all debt in the hands of the Chinese government would be cancelled and extinguished. A major target of any attack on China would be the Three Gorges Dam.

8. NATO would not be expanded to include states bordering on Russia. Creating a defense commitment that is not credible is unwise (look at the British and French treaty with Poland prior to WWII).

9. Hugo Chavez would be assassinated. Hugo Chavez would be assassinated along with any other leftist leader ever elected by any country in the western hemisphere. And, just to be clear, Hugo Chavez would be assassinated.

10. A gasoline tax of $1 per gallon would be charged, increasing by 50 cents each year until it reaches $5 per gallon. The only way to really encourage change is to change the price of gas to a point of pain.

11. People would have the freedom to choose whom to marry, with whom to have sex, and whether or not they wish to use drugs. Prostituion would no longer be a crime and the age of consent would be reduced to 16, the same as the age when alcohol may be purchased.

12. Finally, churches would no longer have any tax exemption or special status under the law. In fact, worship of me as leader and god would be encouraged rather than any traditional religion.

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Sonya610. You are exactly right. Encouragement solicites honest responses. You were also a part of my "What is the strangest thing you've ever experienced?" thread, where I believe I was pretty much the same way, right? I thank you for both contributions. But you're not suggesting I'm wrong in either thread, for my candor and decorum, are you? (I honestly don't think you are. I took your comment as a modest compliment, and I thank you for that). I figure, if you ask an open ended question with no solicited responses encouraged, you should accept such responses with no judgements, wouldn't you agree?

And you're bang on that some answers I agreed with very much. While some I truly found silly and/or counterproductive. But for my own interest in the issue and true wanting of unbiased user responses, I felt as though I should celebrate participation in general, and not simple agreeance of my own philosophies. After all, this thread was started by me to seek out other peoples opinions, not to celebrate my own.

It is though, as you suggested, the very reason this thread is still active. As well as the thread about "your strangest experiences". And that's exactly what I love about the two threads. Users can give thier stories/opinions and not worry about flamers and trollers cutting them down with nothing real to contribute. I think this is how ATS/BTS should be. The only people I'll stand guard against, are those who add nothing and participate just to cut others down. Opinions and tactfull arguements away from my own, are as welcome and accepted as my own. So long as respect for the opinions of others is given. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for your time. May I add you to my friends list, Sonya610? Be well either way.

-Static Sky

And may I say, and between you and me, your response is bang on. You're very perceptive Sonya610. I can't argue any part of it. And I'm not just nurturing your response. (LOL). Take care.

[edit on 9/17/2008 by Static Sky]

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   

You were also a part of my "What is the strangest thing you've ever experienced?" thread, where I believe I was pretty much the same way, right?

Yes! I forgot that you started that thread. It is/was excellent, though I will admit that thread outlasted my attention span (however I am still reading a link that thread listed, the nurses bulletin board thread on ghost experiences...200 pages worth...some very creepy stuff indeed).

Wow...you know how to create and nurture great threads! Many here appreciate it! I will add you as a friend as well. : )

posted on Sep, 17 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Thank you Sonya610. I looked into that link, too. There is some terrific stuff on there and I too, am still reading through it. (Yes there is a lot of it but it's worth the time for sure). I love this site for exactly that reason. I'll talk to you soon. Peace. And thanks again.

I gave you the smiley with the tongue out 'cause I'm 'cheeky' like that. (LOL). Take care.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   
First I would be in Complete Power.

1. Take all money away from the rich and put it back into the economy.
2. Fire all of the Governors and senators and congress.
3. Tell the Celebrities to stop whining and moaning than take away there money.
4. Make every man over the age of 18 to be in the Military for 1 year with free college and the Military branch of there choice will buy them a house a car and find them a job.
5. Quit Out Sourcing.
6. Drug test for the Welfare people and a stop date for them to get cut off of welfare but they still could get free medical.
7. Send waves upon waves of Soldiers to get rid of gangs in the US. MS-13, AB, Bloods, Crips ECT.
8. Make the Inmates at prison to do hard labor and Execute death roll inmates.
9. Send more money into NASA and Military Research. Try to be the first to build a base on the moon.
10. Stop sending aid to other countries and let them fend for themselves.
11. Put research into alternate fuels and energy.
12. Have everything made in America instead of that Made in China crap.
13. Give free medical.
14. Government would pay for college and you don't have to pay them back.
15. No child support.
16. Give the police a little less power.
17. Take away all spying things on Americans. Well the cameras at stores and on streets stay. Not spying on internet either. Unlimited and if you are low income the government will pay half of your bills for 6 months of the year.
18. Shoot any gang members on sight. (Sorry I just think gang members are the plague.)
19. Legalize certain drugs. (Marijuana)
20. Improve schools. In other words the No Child Left Behind will actually work.

I hope you guys enjoy my new vision of America.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This is by far the best thread I have seen on ATS.
to all who have contributed and especially to the OP for starting it.

Vamp

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by VampyrOsis

That's a glowing comliment. Thank you very much for that. Obviously, the thread is dead without all the posters who've taken time to offer their ideas here. So thanks to all.

I thought I had a winner with this idea. I myself, am not very politically inclined at this point of my life. I do feel more and more interested all the time and I understand the importance of being informed about what your government is doing. But my main political opinion is simply that the people must be heard. That's the true root of democracy, is it not? Thanks again.

-Static Sky

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join