It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Bike Helmet? Lose Your Wheels!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Excellent job picking one part of my comment and then going off on some tangent.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

your the reason why motorists hate cyclists - smash a wing mirror? expect that same 1 ton of metal to clip your back wheel and run over your legs

Hatred? not for any other reason than having some moron who isn't concentrating on driving a car almost kill you!

THAT is the reason I hate ignorant car-drivers...whilst they have a 1-ton-plus roll-cage and multi-airbags, and feel all cocooned in vehicles with scant regard to the rights of other road users, we cyclists still have a legal right to ride that same stretch of tarmac, and should be able to do so without intimidation of someone who is in a rush to be elsewhere and would rather bully someone on a lighter vehicle with NO rollcage, NO airbags, and NO 1-ton+ mass to muscle their way in an 'I have a right to be here cos I pay road taxes and you don't' attitude

Being forced into a gutter on a main road during commuter rush-hour at 30mph on a bike is no freakin' joke...it is LIFE THREATENING and to those who think it's funny to sit in their vehicles at a stop light as I pull-up alongside and get flipped-the-bird through the window...lose your wing mirror, paint job, or at worst, get a bike-lock-chain through your windscreen...anyone who endagers my life by threatening me with a moving vehicle, you wiill get your just desserts!

If I choose not to retaliate, expect your licence plate to be taken down, a cell-phone pic taken and passed to the police and your good self to be in court for attempted manslaughter with a moving vehicle and sued for all you have!

threaten my own children in my car and i will run you down; that is simple - i do not tolerate any `adult` who willfully attacks or threatens a child

threatening a child? damage people?? where the feck did that come into it? you, as an adult and the legally responsible driver of a vehicle have the legal obligation to respect ALL OTHER ROAD USERS! INCLUDING CYCLISTS!!

Just as I said earlier...too many feckin' selfish car-drivers with an attitude as yours make life as a cyclist a danger on the roads

[edit on 11-9-2008 by citizen smith]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotty18
1) God forbid someone actually look out for kids...you know those people who don't have the maturity to make decisions based on the future.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Just to be clear, how do you think taking away the kid's bike is looking out for the kids?

It's a poorly conceived program.

In addition, I don't think this will result in any significant percentage increase in helmet wearing compliance.

If the town REALLY thought it was a HUGE enough problem to enact this completely STUPID law, then the cops should be driving around town with a trunk full of kid-sized bike helmets and be passing them out.

Sounds to me like someone with power got a bug up his butt and pushed this asinine law through and his beef was really elsewhere but he figured this would make him feel better. I mean if they were really worried they'd have included skateboarders and in-line skaters in the law.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by scotty18

I can't think of one Kid growing up that sustained any genuine damage from a bike accident when they did it was largely not head injuries, those just happen to be the ones that get reported because..it's your head lol, you go to the doctor

There are 85 Million Bike riders in the USA

770 died in bike accidents The rate of death riding a bike in the states is: over 1 in 100,000 only half from head injuries... so one in 200,000

Now here is where it gets really Stupid

90% of those injuries are... On streets with motorized vehicles

The law in most places states now...that you must ride your bike, on the street, when I was a kid I rode my bike on the sidewalk particularly in danger zones

So they force us to ride with cars that cause 90% of the deaths and then tell us a helmet will save us

yeah

put your head between you legs to survive a Nuclear blast too

and btw, watch the name calling, I have a right to say what I wish

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
1) Those laws about riding on streets are for adults.

2) Once again another person who picks one part to address and then off on a tangent.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

haha dude you're such a tool.

I don't care if you survived your childhood... I just think its hilarious that you're telling your kids not to wear a helmet just because of your own personal beliefs. (where have I heard this before? oh yeah... religion freaks) you know... helmets were invented for a reason lol. If there wasn't a threat of hitting your head (the most vulnerable part of the human body) and dieing from the complications of the damage... then I'm sure the cops wouldn't care so much. It just because of people like you that they have to actually reinforce this... so that during their shift they're not busy cleaning kid's brains off the pavement.

So you lived to become a parent... that doesn't mean that accidents don't happen... helmets are just a precaution against a stupid risk... kind of like driving without a seatbelt.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anomen
reply to post by tezzajw

haha dude you're such a tool.

I've been called worse. Maybe the MODS will edit it out? Who knows, as I'm not particularly insulted by it.

I don't care if you survived your childhood... I just think its hilarious that you're telling your kids not to wear a helmet just because of your own personal beliefs.

Like generations of people before me, I'm letting my children experience life outside the plastic bubble. Where travelling at 8 km/h has minor risks, just like every other aspect of life.

I've watched my kids trip over their own feet in the yard, fall over and hit their heads. Should they have been wearing helmets then? The final velocity of their head impacting the ground would have been equivalent to that of falling off a bike.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
I think what the person done was out of pure anger, and didn't really run it throught his mind first, i doubt he would do it again.

Yeah, I did it out of pure life-threatened-adrenaline-fuelled anger, and have done so on several occaisions, and will continue to do so if ANY motorist puts my life in danger through either ignorance or malice...most drivers won't dare get out of their cocoon to face up to the consequences of almost killing a cyclist, so that is the method that I resort to..hit 'em back where it hurts...in the no-claims and insurance-excess areas!

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Anomen

What should him and I do as parents? Make them wear bullet proof vests too... are you aware more kids are shot to death before the age of 18 by a factor of at least 5 to 1 than die on bicycles?

What should a parent do? Isolate our kids from the world...

What about... Feeling the wind in your hair? Takeing risks, haveing guts... These things are far bigger factors in success and failure in life than falling of a bike is likely to be.

What kind of dorks should we raise?

Is there one person here who has never witnessed the consequences of an Over protective parent?

You don't remember those kids from school, soft, dorked out, dressed funny, never knowing what to say easilly intimidated, always picked on set up for a life of psychological abuses by thier peers, that unique handful of young men who never could get a date or later a job promotion.

I'm not going to raise my son in this world to be fearful and soft no matter what laws they pass.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
All these safety laws make Orwells concept of thought crimes seem mild be comparisson. There needs to be a major roll back on what punishment can be doled out for people participating in what some have defined as dangerous behavior.

The biggest, latest example of safety crime creation is the no hands requirements for cel phones. What studies have shown is that the people who are dangerous when they try to drive and talk on a cel phone, which is most likely a minority, don't have a problem with holding a phone to their ear while driving, they have a problem with talking and driving at the same time. This means that the hands free equipment does not prevent any accidents.

It's outrageous that our government has decided that it can punish you when you have done nothing wrong, harmed no one, violated no ones rights. Basically, the government is telling people what behavior they can engage in, irregardless of whether or not they have done anything to harm anyone, including themselves.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
If the kids don't want to wear a helmet and get injured and or die, good for them. Natural selection will help cleanse the world of morons. We shouldn't get to the point where they need to tell us these things. Next it'll be walking with shoes untied and you'll get a fine and get your shoes confiscated because you are neglectful. Its just preparing these kids and molding them when they're young, "you'll do as you're told and you'll like it" sort of thing.

Of course, it's nice to have cops so concerned about seat belts and helmets, but do you ever notice they seem to have no problem tazering your tush whenever they feel the need to express themselves?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
I live very near there. This is not a police state. In fact the police around here are about the nicest folks, and most generous police I have ever met.

They genuinely care about the children, they are promoting the safety of them. They go out of their way to ensure the people around here's safety by doing things like acting as crossing guards without compensation when there is a concert in the town square. They bike around talking to the kids about bicycle safty, and seeing to the general welfare. They sponsor fishing tournements in the spring for the little ones.

They are small town folk protecting their own, not NWO storm troopers.
It is an extremely nice place to live, like living in an old Jimmy Stewart movie.

The roads are hilly, and can be a little heavily trafficked. They are rough due to the winter weather here. Helmets are definately in order.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Cyberbian

Thanks for chipping in. If you're familiar, how many adults have died in your area due to cycling accidents in the past year? How about kids? Do you have a big neurological injury wing in the local hospital named the Lance Armstrong Head Injury Center? IOW, what do you think caused this law?

There are a lot of riders around here and the situation is similar. I can only think of one in the past three years. 75% wear helmets. Doesn't seem to matter.

So you don't see this law as silly, misguided, draconian? How about ineffective and unlikely to be enforced. After all it's like a 'taking candy from a baby' law. I would not want to be a cop that stranded a kid in the middle of town and watch him tearfully protest while I drove away with his bike.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
I've watched my kids trip over their own feet in the yard, fall over and hit their heads. Should they have been wearing helmets then? The final velocity of their head impacting the ground would have been equivalent to that of falling off a bike.

Oh, so your kids run as fast as they cycle?

Lets just hope that they dont ever stack their bike, crash, smash their head on concrete and sustain life threatening injuries...simply because you are to stubborn, arrogant and ignorant, not to mention breaking the law....to make them wear a helmet.

You obviosuly value your own freedom of speech over your childrens safety

People like that make me sick

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I just have to laugh reading this thread!

I live there. This place is like living in an old Jimmy Stewart movie.
It is old country living. The police are the nicest politest police you will find. They genuinely care about the children.

If they pursue the childrens safety with a firm hand, it is not Orwellian. They sponsor fishing tourniments for the little ones in the spring, and donate their time as crossing guards for community events, to make sure the little ones are safe.

That is like saying that Sheriff Andy Griffith was a Nazy Stormtrooper!
When he made Otis sleep it off in a cell!

Picture that!

You just have no context with this thread. The roads are country roads and helmets are definately in order. They don't hand out many tickets here. If there is a problem they show up almost instantly.

They bicycle around in the spring and summer saying hello and talking to the kids about safety! This is small town folk taking care of one another, not big brother. Picture a world where cops care and want to do something to help make the children safer. Think Mayberry.

Please close this thread, it is totally misguided!

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   

HOLLISTON - If you're young and ride a bicycle through town without a helmet, you may end up walking back home. Police here are looking for scofflaws and will snatch the pedals from your feet if you've been warned numerous times but still forgo headgear.

For once I think you have overreacted DD, because it's a good thing to wear a helmet I think, and the article itself seems to indicate that the police can't just take the bike, but have to issue multiple warnings, which I consider a just system. If you're going to ride a bike on public rodes I don't think a helmet law is a bad thing, although I admit it might not save that many lives, it's still a good introduction to responsability, and will get more motorcyclists respecting the helmet rule later. A law is only as good as it's aplication though.

Can't get them all right my friend

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
Oh, so your kids run as fast as they cycle?

Yes! Didn't you see that I mentioned the speed: 8 km/h. They can run that fast and that's about fast they ride a bike. They've fallen over at the same speed from the bike and from running.

Lets just hope that they dont ever stack their bike, crash, smash their head on concrete and sustain life threatening injuries...simply because you are to stubborn, arrogant and ignorant

OzWeatherman, I agree with you on the UFO forums, but not this thread. Call me whatever you like, but they're my children and I'm not going to raise them softly in a plastic bubble. I hope that they don't suffer injuries, which is why I teach them to ride a bike as well as I can.

not to mention breaking the law....to make them wear a helmet.

Don't even go there, dude. The law is a joke, that's the whole debate of this thread.

You obviosuly value your own freedom of speech over your childrens safety

People like that make me sick

I value my children's future, where they might have freedom of choice. At this rate, it's not going to happen. The NWO will make sure that's there's enough laws written to make ALL of us criminals at some point.

Are you posting this from your workplace? Do they have a law against using the internet at your workplace? I wonder...

One day, hopefully, I'll be alive to see an uprising of peaceful anarchy.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I'm not saying you should keep your kid in a bubble. I rarely wore a helmet when I was younger too... but then I learned better. Its good to let your kid go out and experience things on his own, but for you to sit back as a parent and tell him not to wear a helmet... thats just plain dumb because you're purposely putting his life in danger for some stupid belief you have. It's his job as a kid to go out and take his own risk by taking off his helmet when he's out of your view, like all kids do anyway.

But I'm not here to tell you how to raise your kids... frankly I could care less. I'm just saying that the cops probably have a very good reason for doing what they're doing. I doubt they were just sitting around one day and were like "hey lets give kids a hard time with their bikes!" they probably got tired of seeing kids get hurt on a daily basis... or maybe they had pressure put on them by the school system. Until you know all the facts, it's a bad idea to jump to conclusions... especially one as heavy as a "police state".

I guess you kind of have to be a bike enthusiast to see the dangers of not wearing a helmet anyway... especially when you imagine flipping over the handlebars going 20 miles per hour on a bike and smashing your head on the ground. Personally I feel like I would avoid that scenario with my kid. but whatever floats your boat man.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

What should him and I do as parents? Make them wear bullet proof vests too... are you aware more kids are shot to death before the age of 18 by a factor of at least 5 to 1 than die on bicycles?

I'm pretty sure that unless you live in the hood, the odds of your kid getting shot while riding his bike are pretty small.

But seriously, you can't argue that kid getting shot is in the same league as falling off of a bike. One scenario you can completely avoid unless there are really bad circumstances, the other is completely unpredictable. What you said is like saying "I'm going to make my kid stay inside his entire life because people get eaten by bears! Did you know the ratio of kids becoming a late night snack is about a 5 to 1 ratio to kids dying on bikes!" Do you catch my drift? If not, then go back to school.

What about... Feeling the wind in your hair? Takeing risks, haveing guts... These things are far bigger factors in success and failure in life than falling of a bike is likely to be.

So you're saying to me that if I ride my bike and I don't fall one single time whilst not wearing a helmet... I'll become successful in life?

Risks are good... but when you already know that the outcome of it will be either a dead kid, or a kid without a bike... why let them take that risk as a parent? Personally I'm not taking advice on raising my kids from someone who cant even do this right...

You don't remember those kids from school, soft, dorked out, dressed funny, never knowing what to say easilly intimidated, always picked on set up for a life of psychological abuses by thier peers, that unique handful of young men who never could get a date or later a job promotion.

You must have been too busy judging how they looked to realize that the "dorky kids" were "dorky" because they actually were more successful then all the other kids (singling them out *cough*). Go look up all of these "old friends" of yours and I guarantee they make at least three times the amount of money you do on a yearly basis.

But like I said to the other guy, I'm not here to tell you how to raise your kids. You let them go smoke whatever they want to smoke and maybe that will make them successful too.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Anomen]

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Anomen]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by scotty18
1) Those laws about riding on streets are for adults.

2) Once again another person who picks one part to address and then off on a tangent.

Sorry, but your post doesn't make any sense to me. Laws about riding on the streets are for anyone riding a bicycle. Obviously you wouldn't let a 3-5 year old ride down a busy street on a tricycle. But a 10 year old on a bike is considered traffic and all the rules of the road governing cars, with a few exceptions, apply.

In the US, some communities allow treating a stop sign as a yield sign. Many caution to ride as close to the right as practicable (which means if you're in the "dooring zone", or if the gutter area has potholes or glass or debris, you're allowed to ride further in).

Most cycling instructionals say it's best to ride in the right hand tire track or thereabouts. Many people -think- that a cyclist should ride in the gutter, but that's simply not true. You are allowed and indeed, should 'take the lane' if you're coming up on a blind turn on a one-lane road. This prevents drivers from trying to 'squeeze by' in the same lane. They're supposed to maintain a three-foot distance between a cyclist and the side of the car (or the mirror or running board). But few do that. They're breaking the law. Some communities are even giving this law 'teeth' with actively enforcing fines.

Further many communities allow for riding two abreast. Now a lot of drivers don't like this, but consider, if they have -trouble- passing two bikes riding abreast at 15mph, how can they ever pass a car, which is wider and longer than those cyclists?

However, it's up to drivers to know the law. It's simply wrong for them to yell 'get up on the sidewalk', because in most areas that's illegal for adults (though rarely enforced).

Finally, the law in the US in most places only requires a helmet if you're under 12 years old.

It's time for drivers to realize that it's too many cars that hold them up, not cyclists. Their anger is frequently misplaced.

I wish you'd be so kind as to post a link to (reply to) the message to which you are replying. Otherwise I can't follow your comments.

Thanks!

[edit on 12/9/2008 by Badge01]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join