It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Bike Helmet? Lose Your Wheels!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
You guys want to see an interesting statistic? (If you can find it!)

Compare the number of children's lives saved by bicycle helmets, versus the number of fatalities CAUSED by bicycle helmets. It might surprise you.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
reply to post by Cyberbian

SNIP!

So you don't see this law as silly, misguided, draconian? How about ineffective and unlikely to be enforced. After all it's like a 'taking candy from a baby' law. I would not want to be a cop that stranded a kid in the middle of town and watch him tearfully protest while I drove away with his bike.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

I don't have statistics from the area on head injuries or deaths.

I think that the police are trying.

They are enforcing it that is the point of this thread, and what is drawing attention.

I doubt that they would strand any children. Do you have evidence to back that up?

www.roguegovernment.com...
Gatchell spoke with hundreds of Holliston students earlier this month, at the start of the school year, telling them about the law and how they can get a free helmet from the Police Department if they need one.

When was the last time you heard of the storm troopers handing out free helmets to enforce their draconian measures?

Some people just want to seethe! If you buy into anger over this, you may be one of them.

If you do not understand this, then you cannot tell Andy Griffith from Adolph Eichman.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by Cyberbian]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:55 AM
link   
It seems to me that people would be more considerate if they had any idea of their own mortality anymore. People are so protected from birth that getting hurt generally means that someone else is to blame. There's a lot of money to be made by being stupid. Isn't that the real point of these laws?

Nowadays, parents have their kids learning to crawl wearing helmets. If you don't experience that stuff as a kid, you aren't going to get it when you grow up. Maybe we should let kids fall out of trees and fall off their bikes and do all the other stuff normal people did when being a person was normal. It's been a while now and I think we have more than enough candidates for the Darwin Awards.

You know, somewhere in Australia, they have a law that kids can't do gymnastics-type stuff (cartwheels, etc.) at the playground during recess. I believe they are giving that a rethink. Maybe we need to rethink things as well.

If you want to change things for the better, make sure it's really for the better - not just for statistics.

And btw, I will never wear a helmet when riding my pushbike. I need to be able to see and hear everything around me with no interference. I grew up riding a bike that was too big for me. It had no gears, no brakes (other than the fact that if you stopped pedalling, it stopped moving) and sure as heck had no helmet. When I was 13, a car pulled out in front of me and sent me into a brick wall. I broke three teeth but had no concussion and nothing else (except my bike) was broken either. It wasn't luck. It was because I could ride. I was going at a fair speed, yes, but I survived otherwise intact.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Kids can take their own chances, who is anyone other than mommy to tell them otherwise?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
This is not such a big deal, had i worn a helmet as a kid when riding my BMX and freestyle bike around, I'd likely have a bit less brain trauma.

Scooters require helmets by law .. even if they only go 25mph. I dunno about you, but I could get a bicycle up to 25mph on flat road back in my bike-riding prime, so whats the difference? Equal danger there right? Although its easier to get to 25mph on the scooter .. i know i know..

But its not like they're requiring you to have a battery powered "headlight" on your bicycle if you ride it after dusk..

This way.. if you fall off your bike into the street, you might not crack your skull open on the curbside!

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
reply to post by Alpha Grey

Sounds like a freak accident to me. How fast was he going? Did you replace the helmet? They're a one-time crash use, you know.

Again, glad to hear he wasn't hurt. How old is he now? Still riding?

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

he's 11 now....yup he still riding and yup we got him a new helmet because his other one cracked when he fell.

he was probally going about 5 mph...maybe less.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

I agree. I'm a cyclist and don't agree with helmets laws. They simply limit the number of people who ride bicycles. I nick name these laws, "please drive your car more." Now I do wear a helmet. on this helmet is a rearview mirror and flashing lights. Many of my bicycling friends don't wear helmets at all. I don't consider them to be breaking the law or riding dangerously. After all most people don't know how to wear that helmet properly in the first place.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corum
Bike helmets have saved the lives of many a crash victim and I fully agree that people should be made to wear them under law. There's nothing NWO about this, there's nothing oppressive about it either, it's just good common sense for a change. There are certain things that people should NOT get a choice in and this is one of them.

Dont be so silly. It's just another method for the man to keep his thumb down on the plebs, nothing more. I mean, everyone loves to clean up someone elses brains, and parents all love seeing their children with their skulls cracked open to identify them. Helmets? Only the oppressed wear them, the sheeple. Real true free people just dont get brain damage, dont you know.

What next, they'll start enforcing people to be restrained in cars, with .. what would they call it, Seat belts. Sounds right. Belts. Belting people. Real police state words yeah. Damn the man, damn them and their nazi police state conformist laws..

pfft.

Heres hoping that the hadron collider wipes everything out.......

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Makes me sick, pretty soon street signs will be padded and we'll be forced to wear sunscreen, knee pads and protective eyewear just to walk down the street.

what ever happened to good, old fashioned common sense?

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   
As A cyclist for over 7 yrs, I use a helmet everyday. it has my rear View mirror and my lights. For some reason, my light on my bicycle keep falling off. Now I started out with out wearing a helmet. After all I was not worried because all those accidents thus far were to my knees and arms. One morning on a huffy, (a bicycle brand that should be outlawed) I woke up in the hospital. don't remember the accident or the coffee I was drinking that morning. it was in Aug 2001, and for a few hours, I believed it was 2002.
Now I wear a helmet religiously, but I don't force others to wear one. I don't look down on those who choose not to wear one. I look down on those who don't know how to wear one in the first place.

Even though this particular law is for children, I feel that it does infringe on our rights. I call these helmet laws "Please we want you to drive your car so the oil companies can not go without." People who want to ride a bicycle, but not wear a helmet are left with fewer option to get around especially with the fuel prices that are today.
If police want to inforce bicycle laws here are a few that need addressing...
A. Riding against the flow of traffic. As the gas prices rises, and the weather warms, I 've seen more and more people breaking the law. Now we can blame ourselves for this, but since I ride with the flow, not against it, if you are coming towards me, I'm holding my lane. And if a car is behind me, well I'll make sure you'll be in that cars path.
B. Lights. I love lights. i use to have more than the cops. As a cyslist and a former professional driver, (truck driver) I love lights on bicycles. There a great tool to see and to be seen. The more of a christmas tree you look like, the better you'll not be run over.

As a cyclist, these are the two laws that need to be inforced.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

I don't have statistics from the area on head injuries or deaths.

I think that the police are trying.

They are enforcing it that is the point of this thread, and what is drawing attention.

I doubt that they would strand any children. Do you have evidence to back that up?

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Fair enough, but note I was speaking figuratively. Maybe they take the bike, and drive the kid home. BUT...think about it. Why do that and not talk to the parent and then release the bike to them? If they're driving the kid home and releasing the kid to the parents and not just dropping them off, then they'd actually -never- confiscate any bikes, because the parent would agree to get a helmet and everyone would be OK. So, I suspect that this -may- not be happening.

www.roguegovernment.com...
Gatchell spoke with hundreds of Holliston students earlier this month, at the start of the school year, telling them about the law and how they can get a free helmet from the Police Department if they need one.

If that's the same city, then they have adopted my suggestion which was give out free helmets, but they should carry some in the squad car.

When was the last time you heard of the storm troopers handing out free helmets to enforce their draconian measures?

Some people just want to seethe! If you buy into anger over this, you may be one of them.

If you do not understand this, then you cannot tell Andy Griffith from Adolph Eichman.

Who mentioned storm troopers. I only ever talked about the law?

And, now you're getting personal and this is not our purpose here. Let's just skip the insults, ok?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 12/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

So what happens when they take some kids bike who is far from home and has to walk and then gets jumped and or murdered because he can't get away fast enough. That reason , while it might not happen, is enough for me to hate this policy or law.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith

Originally posted by Harlequin
for once i disagree with you DD

they have a law which says you have to wear a helmet when riding a push bike , if a motorbiker rides around woith a helmet - he`ll get a ticket and maybe jail time;

so really they need to enforce the law here - and cyclists are a menace - i had $200 worth of damage done to my car when a cyclist crashed into me at a stop light - then got up , swore alot and rode off....

Motorbike riders HAVE to wear a helmet otherwise they will invalidate their insurance and therefore be breaking the law, so unless they intriduce mandatory pushbike insurance and make helmets compulsory that way it just wont happen

and just for the record, motorists are the menace, not the cyclist...motorists are the ones responsible for killing more cyclists than any other form of cycling-related accident...get hit by a 2-ton vehicle and your history...helmet or no

Yes, cars cause the bike riders to get jured, but how many of the bike riders cause the accidents? I live in a college town, where if you are on a bike you have to obey traffic laws. Do you know how many times a day i see bike riders running lights and stop signs simply because they think it's ok? If you are going to ride in traffic, you have to obey traffic laws. Recently we had a guy no a bike run into acar and he got pretty messed up. You know who was at fault? The guy on the bike, cause he ran a stop sign and the guy in the ar could not stop as the biker was already at the door of the car. So yes, the bike riders, at least around here, are the menace.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
i think it should be the choice of the parents/ parent of the child not the state end of story. situations like this just open more avenues for laws that are intrusive like this one. i think that its ridiculous if true, police are harrassment officers, they lack common sense cause they uphold these laws, the badge changes most people go do real police work and serve the people as ur purpose

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
Yes, cars cause the bike riders to get jured, but how many of the bike riders cause the accidents? I live in a college town, where if you are on a bike you have to obey traffic laws. Do you know how many times a day i see bike riders running lights and stop signs simply because they think it's ok? If you are going to ride in traffic, you have to obey traffic laws. Recently we had a guy no a bike run into acar and he got pretty messed up. You know who was at fault? The guy on the bike, cause he ran a stop sign and the guy in the ar could not stop as the biker was already at the door of the car. So yes, the bike riders, at least around here, are the menace.

There are inconsiderate cyclists, just as there are inconsiderate motorists...if you ride the tarmac, regardless of your vehicle, you MUST obey the rules of the road...and that includes red-lights, crossing signals etc

I am VERY aware of my mortality as a result of my one-and-only RTA with a motorist in my teens who hit me broadside whilst I was making a right-turn in heavy traffic, and have ever since had a great respect for the tons of metal hurtling-by inches from my bar-ends...hence my previous posts of being so aggressively confrontational with drivers who disregard the same rules I abide by on the road and try and intimidate me with a moving vehicle

The attitude all cyclists on the road should take is that all other road-users are out to kill you...I always do a safety-look over my right shoulder even when on an open seemingly clear road, and is ingrained in my riding-mentality

Kids learning to ride are a different matter, they lack the experience and reaction-responses and therefore should wear helmets and armour pads but whilst being shown how to learn how to fall off their bikes safely whilst padded-up...it's something that I don't think is taught to kids, but should be...much like the Judo analogy, that the first thing you learn is how to fall and land safely

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916

Originally posted by citizen smith
and just for the record, motorists are the menace, not the cyclist...motorists are the ones responsible for killing more cyclists than any other form of cycling-related accident...get hit by a 2-ton vehicle and your history...helmet or no

Yes, cars cause the bike riders to get jured, but how many of the bike riders cause the accidents?
Recently we had a guy no a bike run into acar and he got pretty messed up. You know who was at fault? The guy on the bike, cause he ran a stop sign and the guy in the ar could not stop as the biker was already at the door of the car. So yes, the bike riders, at least around here, are the menace.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

To me a 'menace' is a wide-scale and pervasive threat, not an isolated incident.

We've had two cites of a bike rider hitting a stopped car or the side of a car.

I'd suggest this is rare and doesn't not rise to the level of a 'menace' to society.

A menace is earthquakes, pollution, proliferation of vehicle traffic, and things of that nature.

People like to say a rider is a menace, because they think emotion-laden terms will bring support to their side. I'd suggest it's just the opposite. Even car fans can see through this kind of rhetoric.

So I'd suggest people view bike riders as making an over all positive contribution to global warming counter-efforts and taking one more car off the road. In fact, I'd go so far as to say treat those vulnerable road users like bikers and pedestrians in crosswalks as not an impediment, but as a member of the family and have due caution. They will return the favor.

2 cents.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
as many examples the people who say cyclists are the problem which is off topic by the way fyi motorists are just as bad, i have my own personal experience on my bike (being deliberately swerved at/ cutt of at stop signs ect.ect., beeped/ yelled at just to name two examples and theres more, only to break my concentration which is just like motorists supposed to be on the road) and i would bet money many respectful riding cyclists also can give first hand examples of motorists causeing just as many problems each side can disprove the other

[edit on 12-9-2008 by twistingtree]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Just another attempt to fill the cities coiffeurs... Hit parents with parking and moving violation tickets on there cars... and hit their kids impounded tricycles too.

Just wait till they give out jail time for under inflated tires

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   
No amount of protective equipment is going to stop you from cycling around like an idiot.
What it will do, is protect you from the outcome of your stupidity.

With that being said, I've seen enough heads split open in my life to know that this is one of those laws that, while infringing on your ability to decide for yourself, is still necessary, because too many people are simply too stupid to voluntarily wear protective equipment.

Same reason why hard helmets are REQUIRED on many construction sites. It's not optional, you have to wear one. If it were optional, people would be getting killed quite frequently.

Same with seat belts. It's the law for a reason.
Just as I've seen enough kids with heads cracked open being rushed into the emergency room... I'm quite sure the paramedics have seen their fair share of motorists embedded in the windshield. Enough so that they likely pushed for the law to be passed.

You do have the right to liberty.
But you also have the right to life.

Your right to life trumps your right to liberty. Hence why attempting suicide gets you locked away in a psyche ward.

Whether your intentionally suicidal, or your just suicidally stupid, it's still suicidal.

[edit on 12-9-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 12 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
good post nicely written. "Your right to life trumps your right to liberty. Hence why suicide is illegal." i dont think its matters if its legal or illegal theres no statute/ law they could apply were already dead 8)

[edit on 12-9-2008 by twistingtree]

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join