It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Bike Helmet? Lose Your Wheels!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I can type from experience here... As an over 30 adult, a few years ago, I was pulled up at night, with a friend, riding our bikes without helmets on. We were both given $50 fines. Revenue raising. I almost abused the policewoman (younger than both of us) who was writing our ticket. Her argument was 'that she was sick of scraping people like me off the road'. Idiotic.

We were at the point of riding off into the parkland near us, instead of stopping but decided that we didn't want to have the police helicopter looking down on us with a searchlight.

I completely and utterly disagree with this NWO police state control BS law that EVERYONE has to wear a bike helmet. I have ridden a bike from as young as I could and never wore a helmet.

My distantly related cousin was killed, with a friend, when they were both hit by a car while they were riding their bikes. Their helmets did not save them.

There was a recent article in my newspaper (which I should have cut out and kept) that stated how a British cycling group was advising the Australian government to drop the mandatory bike helmet laws. Their argument was that more people will feel 'free' to cycle, therefore they would exercise more and be naturally healthy. This is completely true. Cycling is healthy. Any measure to get more people riding bikes is a good thing.

Dictating that people should wear helmets is evil!!!!!!!! Freedom of choice is gone in this world, when a simple pleasure like riding a bike is government mandated. Yes, it is a police state.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Interesting story. Since you are in Australia, where helmets are mandatory, did you just forget yours? Do you wear one now?

I do wear a helmet, but partly because it looks cool, and partly because I can get kind of clumsy and I ride in the rain and on wet surfaces, but most of my injuries have been bumps and bruises to the legs, knees and elbows.

I've hit my head twice, and thus I'm going to continue riding with one, but my experience is probably not typical. I'm opposed to mandatory helmet laws for bicycle riders for the reasons you stated, but I'm glad they make helmets.

In fact I'd even be in favor of more robust helmets. There are two standards and the lower one is the one they use. I don't really need all the vents. I'd rather have one that's a little more protective, but that's just me, given the frequency and type of riding I do.

One thing to remember is that the law mentioned in the original post is new, and we've yet to see how it's enforced. Plus the wording is that bikes are only confiscated (supposedly) for repeat offenders. Let's hope they watch this and maybe choose a better method, such as handing out donated helmets to kids and showing them how to wear the ones they have.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 11/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
Interesting story. Since you are in Australia, where helmets are mandatory, did you just forget yours? Do you wear one now?

I don't own a bike helmet. I have never worn one.

From memory, the laws came into effect when I was in my late twenties. At that stage I didn't ride all that much.

My friend lives close to me, a couple of minutes on a bike. That particular night, we had fixed a puncture in his tyre, we rode to the petrol station to pump it up properly. We took a longer route back to his house to make sure his wheel was ok. We were nearly back at his house, when the patrolling police car passed us, yelled out to us to stop and qickly turned to get us.

I'll never buy, own or wear a helmet. Ever. However, the sad part is that I now hardly ride my bike anymore, as I'm not risking a $50 penalty fee to satisfy the arsehole revenue raising politicians.

I rode my bike a lot as a teenager, to and from school and also many hours each week delivering papers. Sure, I've crashed heaps of times, then got up and kept on going. That's what life's about.

When it's your time to check out, it's time to check out. I am so pissed off about the government thinking that they can tell me what to do - it's very evil.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
[I rode my bike a lot as a teenager, to and from school and also many hours each week delivering papers. Sure, I've crashed heaps of times, then got up and kept on going. That's what life's about.

I rode my bike as a teenager to...although I hated wearing a helmet, I am glad I did, as I once hit a curb and went headfirst over the handlebars, smashing my head into the pavement. My helmet cracked but it couldve been much worse if I had not been wearing one

I cant believe people say "Ive never hit my head so I dont need a helmet". I thought the same thing until this accident, just because it hasnt happened to you, doesnt mean it will never happen. If it were my kids, Id rather them wear a helmet than end up brain damaged or killed from a head injury.

This thread appear to be just created to take a cheap shot at the law

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Next time you see somones head go under the rear wheels of a car at 40, you might think, dam he should have been wearing a helmet!(alough it would probably not provide much protection in such a scenario, but is just something to think about)

Prevention is better than a squashed head

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman
I cant believe people say "Ive never hit my head so I dont need a helmet". I thought the same thing until this accident, just because it hasnt happened to you, doesnt mean it will never happen.

That's great. That's why it should be a personal CHOICE to wear a helmet and not something mandatory.

People who choose not to wear a helmet, like me, can play Russian Roulette with Darwin. Or, we can enjoy one of life's pleasures without a bucket being forced on our heads.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Wow... I cant believe someone actually mentioned this decision on bike riding youngsters as a step further toward a police state. I don't know about you, but police have pretty much been doing something similar to kids in my town for years! they don't take the bikes, but they do threaten and even call your parents. With just cause too!

A buddy of mine works in a bike shop, so needless to say he hears all of the bike news from New Jersey. He was ranting the other day about how so far there's been 13 bike related deaths in NJ this year (not too bad, considering the population)... or something like that. He said that the majority were deaths in urban areas by people commuting from school and work on their bikes and they happened mostly because people were too stupid to wear helmets.

The stories he tells me about what happens to people who don't wear helmets will make you cringe. He told me one story about a friend of his who was mountain biking and he was riding too close to another biker. He hit the other bikers tire and he lost control and fell off of a 50 foot rock face near the side of the trail. The only thing that saved him was his helmet which was completely annihilated, but did just enough to save his skull from the same damage.

but yet you want to tell me that the police protecting our children (which they're not obligated to do remember?) by telling them they cannot ride their bikes without helmets is a bad thing?

I don't know about you, but personally I'd rather see my kid lose his bike then get hit by a car and die because his head went through the windshield.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by Anomen]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

Woah! chill, no one is threatining your kids, I think what the person done was out of pure anger, and didn't really run it throught his mind first, i doubt he would do it again.

Yes, cyclis'st can be ignorant, on the road, and can make over-taking extremly dangerous. But also, for the cyclist who are aware of there surroundings, there are equally the same amount of drivers, who can be extremly hazardous to them, often running them down without noticeing(i have seen it happen!)

Back lanes(country roads) are the worst place to encounter each other as the speed limit, is 60mph on a tiny road.

Somtimes, people DO need a wake up call on the road, and realise that they are not just driving a car but, over 1tonnes of metal speeding along, at high speeds.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anomen
but yet you want to tell me that the police protecting our children (which they're not obligated to do remember?) by telling them they cannot ride their bikes without helmets is a bad thing?

Newsflash: I was a child and I rode my bike. I survived, along with the few hundred children who rode to my school, as I did. I also have my own children and I don't want them to wear helmets when they're riding. If they learn to ride a bike properly, then to me, is safer than trusting a helmet in a fall. They'll learn to constantly watch the roads for cars, people etc. They'll know how to jump the gutters to quickly get on or off a road when they need to.

Second Newsflash: If you want to protect children from every possible conceivable, potential danger, then you would never let them out of your house, ever. Even then, you would have to remove all sharp, toxic and flammable objects. You might as well place them in a plastic bubble. The 'protecting the children' excuse is a soft touch to introduce the police state mentality that we're breaking a law, if we don't do what we are told.

No one has the right to tell me to wear a helmet on a push bike.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by Anomen
Second Newsflash: If you want to protect children from every possible conceivable, potential danger, then you would never let them out of your house, ever. Even then, you would have to remove all sharp, toxic and flammable objects. You might as well place them in a plastic bubble

where can i buy this Plastic bubble you speak of?

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
where can i buy this Plastic bubble you speak of?

I don't know where you can buy one.

You're better off asking some other people in this thread. Clearly, they live their lives in plastic bubbles and think that the world should be safe.

It's so important for them to force their ideals onto others, that we're all expected to conform to their wishes.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
The people who write these laws seriously need to just keel over and drop dead, I really dislike this nonsense.

For starters, A bike helmet makes me look and feel like a reatarded kid, growing up prior to this nonsense the only kid who wore a bicycle helmet was the kid who's mom also made him wear a ski hat until May 30th

I am a serious green energy guy, I don't even have a car.. on purpose lol, and i'm 38 and I have fallen off my bike 2x in the last 18 years and the Truth... I was totally proud of those scars, the last time was 7 years ago and I was riding at night with no light and took a spill and gashed my ARMS up really good on good ol city broken bottle glass and I Loved my ex and my son looking at me with the whole OMG things and showing how tough I was while cleaning it...

I mean good lord I'm a software jockey and writer, when the hell...can I get any scars otherwise? I'm not a girl, a girl can wear a helmet and still look good, I look like a fruit cake in one of those... I have to spend 100 bucks on a damn racing helmet to not feel utterly moronic...

The worst are the big Giant ones from the supermarket that kids who are poor gets stuck with for 4.99 and get to leave the house looking like a circumcized Phallus

Here in AZ I am not even required to wear a Motorcycle Helmet, (which actually looks cool) but they will give you:

A Dui on a bike

Which has always pissed me off as much as anything else btw... because public transportation stops at midnight and no one has ever told me how the hell to get home from the bar that being the case.

You know, because one of these days i'll swerve out of contriol at 2:30 Am after a few drinks and cause all sorts of harm when passing motorists stop to laugh at me... wtf?

The best thing I like about these laws, is growing up young boys who have never had a fight Ever, have learned nothing but respect for human life and other people, have worn bicycle helmets thier entire lives... then one day drafting them and Parchuteing them stright into BF Afghanastan to go Fight a war...

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
then one day drafting them and Parchuteing them stright into BF Afghanastan to go Fight a war...

I bet they probably make them wear a helmet when they are parachuting too... in case the chute fails, right?

I agree with everything that you typed.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Well considering they own you, and spend money "educating' you, they wouldn't want to lose money on their investment if you go into a coma. That'd be no good.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Well didn't you hear? Soon they are going to attach bungie cords to our paratroopers so they can "simulate" the action of droping into enemy territory just to be snapped back up to the Plane.

The idea is to gight a war with zero casualties on either side, like drop everyone into the DMZ and they drop firecrackers right in front of the faces of the North Koreans and Yell "Gotcha" right as the Bungie snaps them back to the plane

[edit on 11-9-2008 by mopusvindictus]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I need my bike. I dont like or ever wear helmets because I hate anything attached to my head / face.. even down to glasses, it aggravates me. Besides they look silly most of them, but vanity aside Id look worse than silly in an accident with my brains all over the place..

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
1) God forbid someone actually look out for kids...you know those people who don't have the maturity to make decisions based on the future. Especially for those who don't have parents with a brain either.

2) The "I didn't wear one when I was a kid" argument is asinine. You also had lead paint and your parents smoked and your pregnant mom drank and smoked, etc.

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by scotty18
The "I didn't wear one when I was a kid" argument is asinine.

No, the "I didn't wear one when I was a kid" proves that years ago, life was easier, free and more relaxed.

We weren't controlled, like we are now.

Back in the past, accidents were called accidents. Now, they're called law suits.

Back in the past, falling off a bike meant that you got back on it and learnt to ride it better. Now, falling off a bike will probably cause some people to question the safety of the bike, its design standards and whether it has been federally approved as an age appropriate piece of play equipment, all under adult supervision, provided those adults are all judged competent, sane and are not under the influence of drugs, alcohol or other duress.

You're free to apply the regulations to your head but don't try and force them on my head or my children's heads.

EDIT: I think I should start a business manufacturing plastic safety bubbles. Judging by this thread, I'll be rich. Unless I get sued because the plastic bubble inhibited people from experiencing their lives causing them to suffer emotional turmoil and withdrawal stress.

[edit on 11-9-2008 by tezzajw]

posted on Sep, 11 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It should be a CHOICE for adults but not for kids under say 18.

I ALWAYS wear a helmet. But hey, it's YOUR head, put it in danger if you want!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join