It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats the biggest issue for you in this election cycle?

page: 1/
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Hi all, let me first say that I am having a blast debating and expressing myself here with all of you, many which I agree and many which I dont, but we are keeping it classy for the most part and I hope is stays that way, because the debate here is intense, smart and challenging and thats what we should be doing, I have seen other boards and...good grief!!.

I open this thread, just so we can get an idea about what is the make or break issue for everyone of us, that way everytime we see each other on other threads we can have a pretty good idea of from where each and everyone of us is coming from and we can understand the passion of each other when it comes to certain issues.

In that order let me start, to me my make or break issue is definately Foreign Policy, I'm active member of the U.S. military so you can imagine why I hold this issue that high. Others issues that get my attention are energy independence and healthcare.

Note to Mods: If you feel this is not the place for the thread feel free to move it... but not to the TRASH BIN!!!

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Bunch]

[edit on 4-9-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
The Economy is number one for me. Then I'd have to say the education system. Thanks for posting this question with such a good vibe to it. I hope it stays that way. Star and flag.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The economy also, outsourcing, the national deficit, unemployment and personal debt.

It seems that none of our political candidates wants to address any of those issues.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
At the top of my list would be one that neither side really intends to meaningfully address.

ACCOUNTABILITY IN GOVERNMENT.

Because without it, all the rest of the issues don't really matter.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
It's a tie between these three:

1. Not having a new administration come in and implement economic "plans" that seem like they were concocted in a university somewhere.

2. Not going around the world trying to appease foreign leaders at the expense of sacrificing our strengths.

3. Doing something to get oil prices lower rather than intentionally wanting oil prices to remain high just so alternative energy is economically competitive.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
economy and the outsourcing of AMERICAN jobs.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Why should they Loam, remember they all getting all fat an lazy without that accountability and remember our for the elected by the people government doesn't own anything to the citizens of this nation.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Don't forget to mention the fat and lazy electorate who willingly gives it all away.

Yup. There really is no point with respect to the remainder of any of the other issues.

Have you seen the link in my title? How many do you think spent more than three seconds contemplating the matter? I think that says it all.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
For me, the biggest issue is the lack of discussion by the MSM of substantive matters, and their concentration on things that belong in the supermarket rag magazines. I could care less whether Sarah Palin's hairdo is 20 years out of date, or if Joe Biden has hair plugs. What I would like to know is SPECIFICALLY what each candidate will try to accomplish regarding Health Care, Taxes, the Deficit, Terrorism, Reforms. In addition, I would like to see how will each candidate propose paying for each of their many promises that I'm sure they will make. Unfortunately, unless the MSM decides to push the candidates, it won't happen. I know they're more concerned with sensationalism and the resulting high ratings, and that says something about the American electorate.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
There are many varibles in the economy that factor into its condition, most of which the POTUS has little to do with.

1. Being fiscally conservative

2. Stop legislating new laws before you even try to enforce the ones already in place/on the books

3. Renewable energy

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Economy and reform of the financial markets. Most of the problems in the economy are due to the rabid greed on wall street and the manipulation of the markets in order to satisfy that greed. We need to somehow find a way to stem that greed and restore true supply and demand. Without this action capitalism as we know it is doomed, if it still exist at all.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

And that is the reason government has gone unrestricted and with citizens oversight, we are to worry about the next season of American Idol or if Britney spears is wearing panties.

Occurs now we have a new celebrity to take all the attention and still none of the issue that are important comes to mind.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Most of the problems in the economy are due to the rabid greed on wall street and the manipulation of the markets

I absolutely agree. The crime is that Congress adjourned without doing anything about the margin requirement in the commodities market. Push it up to 100% and all of those wild speculators will disappear. When it's their skin in the game, it's amazing how risky trades disappear.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The most important issues for me are the restoration of our rights and civil liberties that were given away by our law makers for the sake of a supposed increase in security by those so unwise as to surrender our rights for this supposed increase in security.

This would entail the restoration of the constitutional checks and balances in all branches of government starting with the now Imperial Executive. It would also entail the restoration of sound money so that our nation can prosper once again. It would also entail an end to foreign intervention across the globe which we can no longer afford considering we have accrued a national debt of almost $10,000,000,000,000.00 and a bankrupt social security system with an accrued obligation of nearly $50,000,000,000,000.00 that will come due in the next few decades.

[edit on 9/4/2008 by UFOTECH]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
The fact that people are actually arguing about two main candidates and parties whilst the illusion of an election continues to be peddled... It's Paris Hilton and Britney Spears just the names and faces have changed...

[edit on 4/9/08 by GhostR1der]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Well, I'll be:

"I'll ask Democrats and independents to serve with me, and my administration will set a new standard for transparency and accountability."

Sorce.

McCain must be reading my posts.

[edit on 4-9-2008 by loam]

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
It's the economy stupid!

and affordable health care

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
TAXES and lowering them, and cutting spending as a means to lowering taxes.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Immigration and border security.

The political leadership don't see the long term probability of a terrorist WMD attack. With guys like A Q Kann, it's only a matter of time before a religious zealot strikes 100x harder than what happened on 9/11. The "border" is an illusion. The government elites are integrating all countries of N. America under a new international govt authority.

The noted futurist Ray Kurtzweil predicted a world govt will be in order by 2020. Rise to Globalism by Stephen Ambrose and Tragedy and Hope has a lot of information.

Our immigration laws are scoffed at, while petty vice crimes are enforced to the maximum. Since both mainstream candidates are with "the program", I'm voting for who I believe is the most intelligent/rational/capable person to hold the office.

posted on Sep, 5 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Hi Bunch

Good thread, thanks for starting it.

My primary interests are tied together - the economy and an energy policy. Solving these problems would positively affect many others, like jobs and education.

And I definitely agree with loam. ACCOUNTABILITY IN GOVERNMENT while we're solving other problems is key.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join