It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation Techniques and Christianity?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I want to get back into meditation and was looking for a good headphone guided meditation. I came across some programs that talk about Kundalini and Heart Chakra amongst other things. The mp3's I have mention these things and when I searched google for Kundalini I found it to represent power in the form of a coiled snake at the base of your spine.

So are these things and other forms of meditation a negative or evil influence on a Christian.

Any advice welcome.

Also dose anyone know of a guided meditation mp3 that is completely consistent with Christianity?

Thanks for your help.

[edit on 10/1/2008 by kinglizard]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Sorry about this but I don't understand how you get to the idea that kundalini meditations are "evil" because of the snake representation. No form of meditation is inherently evil...it is our intentions that make it so, if that's what you want to do with it.

If you are starting with meditation, I might recommend that you don't start with kundalini meditation...this type is quite challenging and can be emotionally difficult. Maybe it would better to try it when you're a bit more experinenced. The heart chakra is a good place to start, however, along with any kind of grounding or protection exercise. Little and often is the key, and I would also suggest that any type of intense or focused prayer could be considered meditation, whatever your faith.

Cait

[edit on 31-8-2008 by caitlinfae]

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I didn't mean to offend but I did find the awakening of the snake in one's self a bit concerning as a Christian exploring meditation techniques. Powerful imagery to a Christian you know. I'm kinda guarded as to what I let into my being or space and wasn't sure the best route for a christian.

I'll look more into the heart chakra meditation as you recommend. Thanks so much for your advice and direction.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Hey, no worries....I wasn't offended. Don't let the imagery put you off though...maybe you should investigate for yourself and see how it goes, but don't rush it. Please let me know if I can help any more. To me...ok so I'm biased as I keep snakes as pets...they are not any kind of evil icon, but signify silent, sacred magic and abilities, and are symbolic of constant renewal and rebirth. There is also the sexual significance, which is obvious, I guess, but as a pagan, I don't see that as evil or sinful at all. A question of persepctive, I think...

Good luck with it, and let me know if I can help...

Blessings

Cait

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Thanks so much.

Are the more basic meditations based on imagery? I used to do quite well 20 years ago with repetitious visual imagery. One where I was laying on a grassy hill and would find myself getting lighter and lighter until I was hovering well above the ground.

Anyway I think I do better with imagery....rather than a completely blank mind.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I would say there are meditation-techniques that are more "in-tune" or alignment with christian-doctrine and meditation-techniques less so.

Im not a christian, but I could imagine that christians would not want to practice meditations that are attached to doctrines contradictory to biblical teaching. Kundalini Meditation is based on such doctrines. I have no problem with it, but would say to a christian "Dont do it".

Meditations that are not attached to any doctrine are stuff like relaxing-meditations, visualisation and mental-imagery meditations, prayer-meditations, focussing meditations and breathing meditations. Meditations like these can be found in any tradition, even in christianity.

Basically, if someone says "You have to believe in this and that to use this meditation", you´re dealing with a doctrine. But if it only says "For more ___________ (fill in the blank with "relaxation" or any other result) use this meditation" you´re dealing with something that is applicable for christians.

Essentially, meditation can be used to get into a deeper state of prayer.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I know what you mean..."no-mind" is useless for me too, but it's great for some people. Even very advanced work can be image based...imagination is like a muscle, and will get stronger with regular use. I love to work with the power of our imaginations, and visualisation, or daydreaming, works well for most people. Just be as creative as you can, and remember that there are no right or wrongs...just what's right for you. If you feel like it, try the meditations on my signature and see how they are for you. I can't stress the need for protection and grounding enough...no matter where you get to in your imagination, you have to be able to come back fully into you human body.

Also, if it feels right, and you've done your protection as best you can, it might be good to invite a being in...I mean Jesus, or God, or Mary Magdalen, or whoever you feel you need connection with to talk to them. Just be strong about asking for the right protection first and a lot of people work with Archangel Michael for this. All you need to do is ask. But again, it's up to you how you do this and who you ask. I hope I'm not being too personal suggesting this.

Cait

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
An example of a meditation-technique I use that may be of interest to christians.

I go into silence and soft breathing until Im at ease. Then I address "The Supreme Being" or "The Most High" (in Christian Terms: God) and give thanks for dozens of things Im grateful for. After that I ask for various people to be blessed or find peace.

This is a meditation that results in a warm and peaceful state.

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

I once came around this website where they have amongst other MP3's this FREE Guided Meditation named
The Secret Garden
Funnily enough I did a image search on 'Jesus' some weeks ago and came across this picture

Is this Christian enough for you?!

(for me this looks also predestined for some kind of 'inner child' meditation ...)

Generally, as cait already said ... it's alot about the intention (and energy) you put in and pull with your meditation. I once wrote something in a thread about
Meditation tips for beginners ... and if you plan to get more regularly in it and more professional ... it should be one of the Meditators goals to be able to 'TRANSFORM' some kind of (for you negative associated) images to a higher/more universal level ... where there do not exist any differences (in religions for example) anymore & everything is ONE.

Concerning Kundalini (which also does mean that energy is working thru all of your chakras/energy spots along your spine; not just the heart chakra) there are two varieties:

- Normal Kundalini means that your are developing your own energy with your soul power, bringing it up to the Brahmanadi. It's a self-energy production.

- Shakti Kundalini means you are pulling from the cosmic, connecting all the planets, the universe. You can sit and see the huge universe.

Read a bit more here about 'Universal Kundalini' ... and FOLLOW YOUR HEART.

remember The Candles are different, but the Light is the same.

[edit on 31/8/2008 by guard]

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Meditation in the Holy Bible:

Philippians 4
8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Thanks for all the guidance everyone. I'm having really good results with this Guided Meditation.

www.brainsync.com...

A good starting point for me though they offer dozens of different meditations.

Sky, I will, as you suggested give thanks and commune with God when meditating. I just need to get to "that place" again so the "guided" lessons are really helpful.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
There are vibrations I feel when I am among friends.. I can sense it.
Perhaps it is the Holy Spirit, perhaps God, perhaps Jesus.. I wish I knew the difference. I am just learning the Kundalini (the term) but have always felt it.

I share a similar experience, and I believe it is consistent with Christianity.
Shivers down my spine.... body aching all the time

I am not in great health.. sometime I think I am a dead man walking.
I get a ringing in my ears, depression, etc. It really sucks ass.

But I too came to have a profound perception of God/Yahweh from a substance.
Have been to treatment a couple of times.... but I still grapple with my addiction.
But I crave the feeling of being connected so much. Maybe Reclast might help?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Hi Kz,
I don't mean to be simplistic and you probably have been to this page:
wiki
But other than the article they have a lot of useful links at the bottom.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hi dog,

Are you a Christian? Have you ever experienced what kinglizard is talking about?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mapsurfer_
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Hi dog,

Are you a Christian? Have you ever experienced what kinglizard is talking about?

I was raised Christian, and though I am deeply spiritual, I am the farthest thing from Christian as can be. I do have the greatest respect and regard for Jesus as one of the great spiritual teachers, but I do believe that his original teachings and Word has been corrupted and lost by the hand of man.

I understand what kinglizard is pointing to.

My only comment is this, imho "kundalini" meditation is not for everyone and not for the novice who wishes to experiment.
There is a lot more behind it than most people are aware of, and if not prepared, it will be overwhelming and even harmful. Within it lies awareness beyond ones ability to process unless one has built up to it and chose to contemplate it with full knowledge.

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

i highly suggest you read the chapter entitled "The Jesus Ministry", in The Gods of Eden, by William Bramley:

www.bibliotecapleyades.net...
(scroll down to the chapter, about 2/3 down the page)

i strongly suggest reading the whole chapter, which won't take long. i moreover recommend you buy the whole book for a whopping 8 bucks at major bookstores!

it mentions Jesus's lost years, where it strongly postulates that he could have studied Buddhism and Hinduism, as an Essene, and as a member of the "Brotherhood" network. i really think the true answers in life are found in meditation, and both Buddhism and Hinduism practice meditation. Jesus's idea's of spiritual salvation and meditation were omitted from the Bible because it didn't go along with what the church desired.

The Christian church did not limit itself to changing a few ideas, it also rejected entire books. The church destroyed many documents and records which contradicted the radical changes that were made to Christian doctrine by these councils. Fortunately, the original writings which survived the editing process still offer valuable clues and insights into the life of Jesus.

Many writings rejected by the church councils found their way into a book known as the “Apocrypha” (“hidden writings”). The Apocrypha consists of writings which were adjudged to be of dubious origin or quality by the church.

Some of the material was rightfully rejected. Other Apocryphal works, however, were omitted simply because they contradicted the official church version of Jesus’s life on several crucial details. These are details which, if carefully researched, would offer a somewhat different outlook on the life of Jesus from the one presented in the authorized Bible.

i keep hearing how prayer is when we talk to God, and meditation is when God talks to us. i also don't think Jesus would have claimed any religion, because he wanted peace for all of mankind, without segregation.

[edit on 30-9-2008 by adrenochrome]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I didn't mean to offend but I did find the awakening of the snake in one's self a bit concerning as a Christian exploring meditation techniques. Powerful imagery to a Christian you know. I'm kinda guarded as to what I let into my being or space and wasn't sure the best route for a christian.

I'll look more into the heart chakra meditation as you recommend. Thanks so much for your advice and direction.

I think that chakras and mediation can often be referred to as a form of prayer. You could think of it, from a christian perspective, of inviting the holy spirit's power to certain energy points on the body. These types of techniques in general are agnostic of faith and religion and are merely ways to get in touch with and harmonize your own body, mind, and spirit. The fact that snakes may have a negative connotation with some people doesn't pertain to the fact that a snake is good or evil. The medical reference to the snake in fact is a positive one

The serpentine staff is called a caduceus. It has Greek origins -- Hermes, the messenger of the gods, carried it as a symbol of peace.

So just open your heart and mind. No meditation or yoga or any type of energy work is good or evil, its the intent and people behind them that determine that.

I have also tried the brainsync products and find them to work very well. Her voice is extremely soothing to me and great for relaxation.

I'm currently practicing qi gong, which is a little more like tai chi and have found it to suit my liking better than certain forms of yoga, although I also enjoy a kundalini of sound class that I attend from time to time.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck in your studies.

[edit on 9/30/2008 by atzmaz]

posted on Sep, 30 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It has been said by someone somewhere, that prayer is talking to God and meditation is listening for Gods answers.

I suggest after prayer to do some deep cleansing breathing and quiet your mind. That is the difficult part, quieting the mind.

As the above poster mentioned Qi Gong, I really enjoyed that myself.

Best of luck to you in your communication with God Source.

PS: Also not a Christian albiet was raised as one.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Meditation is a very "christian" thing to do, if by christian you mean Christ like. In the bible Jesus meditates all the time. In Catholicism, they meditate by either the stations of the cross, the rosery, days of fasting, and days of solitude. The same goes for most all religions. There are several types of meditation. The goal of all of them are the same.

As long as you have good intent and good common sense, I think you will be fine.

If something makes you uncomfortable, then dont do it. It would be counterproductive.

Use imagry that makes sense to you, and feels right to you.

posted on Oct, 1 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I agree 100% with skyfloating.

Kundalini is not something to be started at a whim... it takes much experience before you can genuinely understand how to use it.

If you're concerned about certain meditation being unacceptable in christian terms, then you are correct. There are aspects of the dharmic (eastern) religions that will be shocking and unacceptable to anyone raised in the abrahamic faiths.

If in doubt, dont do it. If you're interested in meditation, I suggest learning the basic theory behind it and then developing your own form of meditation, where you can focus upon christ instead of any of the seven energies.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join